Nanny Returns

by Meghann on April 15, 2011

I finished the audio version of Nanny Returns today.

NannyReturns.jpg

Audiobooks while running = AMAZING

Audiobooks while working = not-so-amazing

I couldn’t help it! I was so close to being done! πŸ™‚

I read the original Nanny Diaries in college and LOVED it. They eventually made a movie based off the book (starring Scarlett Johansson) that was only so-so. Skip the movie, read the book.

Nanny Returns is the sequel to The Nanny Diaries set 12 years in the future. She’s now married to Harvard Hottie (yay!) and just returned to the city after following HH around the world for his job.

When I first heard the book was set so far in the future I was a little hesitant, but a few chapters in I thought the 12 year gap was perfect. It’s a lighthearted, fun read – err – listen when you’re brain just needs to relax. If you loved Nanny Diaries, then you will definitely love Nanny Returns. πŸ™‚

Now, I’m looking for another audiobook to listen to. hmmm…

Has anyone heard of Audible.com ? It’s an Amazon company where you pay a monthly fee and are able to download so many audiobooks a month. I’ve been toying with giving it a test run, but haven’t heard anyone’s personal feedback from it yet.

Lunch was a little late because of the late breakfast and the groove I had going with work.

It’s a two parter.

Part # 1

Two pieces of toast with coconut peanut butter and apple slices.

Part #2

Salad:

• Spinach
  • Cucumber
  • Tomato
  • Feta
  • Onion Dressing

Don’t worry friends – the weekend is almost here! πŸ™‚

1 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 15, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Wow I need to get my hands on that coconut peanut butter. Love the salad πŸ™‚
Have a fantastic weekend πŸ˜€
Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..Weekend Wedding

2 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston April 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I enjoyed nanny returns more than the nanny diaries!
Katie @ Healthy Heddleston recently posted..Doubly Fit

3 Angela April 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I also loved the original Nanny Diaries. I had no idea there was a sequel. Now I have to check it out. Do you just download books to your ipod? I have no audio book experince whatsoever, but I love the idea :0)

4 Meghann April 17, 2011 at 11:06 am

I downloaded via itunes and then uploaded it to my ipod. πŸ™‚

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 15, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I’m interested in Audibles — I just saw a commercial for them last night!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

6 Carly April 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Audible is great! The nice thing is that you can start/cancel anytime, so if you sign up and discover you’re not taking full advantage of it there’s no issue with cancelling. And if you’re blasting through audiobooks quickly it is definitely worth the price.

You should check, they used to give you a credit towards a “compatible Audible device” when you signed up for a 1yr contract. If you’re going to try Audible anyway, and they still offer it, you can knock $100 or so off the price of a new Kindle, iPod, etc…worth investigating!

7 Meghann April 17, 2011 at 11:07 am

Thanks Carly! I appreciate the advice!

8 Kristy @ KristyRuns April 15, 2011 at 2:50 pm

My husband has aubile and he loves it! He listens to books while he drives to/from work. πŸ™‚ We also listen to them when we drive to Tampa/St. Pete to visit my family. You should try it out!

9 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 15, 2011 at 2:50 pm

OMG so funny that you mentioned Audible.com, because I’m about 95% sure that I had to do a case study on that company when I was in unversity! It would have only been about 2 yrs ago and I can’t for the life of me remember what the situation was in the case study, but glad to see they’re still around!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Top Eats and Week 1 Gum-Free!

10 Gina April 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm

If you go to audible(dot)com/tv you can get 2 free audio books with a 30 day trial. I’m thinking about signing up myself!
Gina recently posted..Women’s 5K By The Bay Recap

11 Meghann April 17, 2011 at 11:08 am

Thanks Gina!

12 Kaitlin April 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Sounds like a fun book! I’d be interested to hear what people think about audible.com too.

Have you tried audiobooks for a long run? I’m doing a 16 miler this weekend and feel like I could knock out an entire book in that time!
Kaitlin recently posted..Arbor Brewing Company IPA Tasting

13 Meghann April 17, 2011 at 11:09 am

They’re the best for long runs, especially when you’re getting to a good part. Though, most audiobooks are 6 hours +so you should be able to spread one book through a couple of long runs.

14 Kaitlin April 18, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I tried it for my long run! Worked like a charm. Thanks for the idea, Meghann πŸ™‚
Kaitlin recently posted..16 Mile Weekend

15 Taylor K. April 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm

You should check out your library’s website! Mine has a program where you can “rent” audio book online and download them using your library card.

16 Kimberly @ Healthy Strides April 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I love audio books – for the car, walking, working out. I usually just go to through the library (we can download audio books) but audible may be worth a try. It’s definitely interesting!
Kimberly @ Healthy Strides recently posted..Three Things Thursday

17 Freya April 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Coconut peanut butter?? Oh crikey! And England has only just cottoned on to regular PB…gah.
Freya recently posted..The Real Shady

18 Meghann April 17, 2011 at 11:10 am

next time you’re in the U.S. we’ll stock you up!

19 Ashley April 15, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I remember the nanny diaries movie. I never saw it, but it’s nice to know that the books are good.

20 Dori April 15, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I used to work as a book copywriter and we had a partnership with Audible. It is a good company, check it out!
Dori recently posted..Placing Bets on My Misfortune

21 Kath April 15, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I did a month at Audible just to download a few. I think if you listen regularly it’s a good deal but it’s a bit expensive for just a book every now and then. I so wish they had an a la carte program!
Kath recently posted..Fueled By Sun

22 Meghann April 17, 2011 at 11:11 am

Yeah, it’s killing me that most books on iTunes are $20 and I blasted through Nanny Returns in less than 2 weeks. ughh… why are they so $$?!

23 Julie April 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm

My husband heads up the digital marketing/distribution for a major audio book publisher, so with all of the free audiobooks at his fingertips, I am SO on board about running with audiobooks! I quit running with music a couple of years ago and haven’t looked back– so great! I’m excited to see someone else out there doing it– everyone else seems to think I’m nuts because books don’t have a beat.

Audible is the best distributor out there! If you want it, odds are that they have it… often, they have an exclusive on the title, so you can only get it there for the first few months, anyway! BUT don’t forget to check out your library! Free, unlimited audiobooks=awesome long runs.

24 Sarah April 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I’ve used audible for a few months. It worked out to $15 a month for one book and discounts on additional books. I thought that was a pretty good deal, audiobooks can be so expensive!

They had great selection and it was easy to use their app on my phone, but I cancelled because I just didn’t have enough time to listen to one book a month.

25 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm

yesss I’m so glad the weekend is almost here!

thanks for the tips on the amazon audiobook deal I think my husband would love it! I think if I tried to listen while biking I would be so distracted I’d crash! πŸ˜›

26 Carolyn H. April 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm

You can download free audiobooks from the library! Tampa has a great library system.
Carolyn H. recently posted..Summer Squash Pasta

27 Meghann April 17, 2011 at 11:13 am

I still need to check the Tampa library out. I wonder if there’s a location near my place.

28 Liz April 15, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Audible is great, but don’t let their “free audiobook” teaser fool you – I wanted to do that and you have to enter your credit card info first, and then they bank on you forgetting to cancel your subscription and so they automatically bill you for a month after the free trial.

I cancelled online BEFORE the free trial ended, and then still got billed, and the next month too! I was so upset because it felt like a scam like those acai berry schemes a few years ago, even though I knew it was a legit company with terrible customer service. Beware!

29 Lacey @ Lake Life April 15, 2011 at 6:49 pm

That happened to me as well with Audible, and they wouldn’t refund the charge!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..ABC’s of ME

30 Meghann April 17, 2011 at 11:14 am

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up! I hate it when those companies do that.

31 Michelle April 15, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I’ve heard good things about Audible!

I’m not a big audiobook person — but I kinda want to get the audiobook for Tina Fey’s book (Bossypants). She narrated it herself!
Michelle recently posted..Five for Friday- Funny Race Weekend Moments

32 Molly April 15, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I just signed up! If you go to “www.audible.com/rca” you can do a 30 day trial. You have to put in your credit card, but if you decide you don’t like it, you can cancel at anytime without being charged. I’ve been reading your posts regarding Audiobooks while running and I can’t wait to try it out tonight and see how I like it. Enjoy!

33 Silvia @ skinny jeans food April 15, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I do the library, too — does not cost anything and you can download online, no need to march to the library (just to sign up for the initial library card)!
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Lobster- revisited

34 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 15, 2011 at 3:30 pm

The weekend is SO close! I’ve never heard of audible.com, but it sounds like you’d get great use out of it.

35 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 15, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I didn’t love the movie- but you make it sound like the sequel rocks, so I think I’m gonna try it out–thanks. LOVE two part lunches–it makes my world go ’round.

36 Julie April 15, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Have you heard of LibriVox? http://librivox.org/
It has a ton of downloadable audiobooks that are totally FREE (which is always a plus for me) – they’re all in the public domain so they’re mostly classics, it might not have some more modern ones, but it’s a great site! I love listening to audiobooks while I run, too, and I get a lot from there.
Julie recently posted..Practically Perfect

37 Meghann April 17, 2011 at 11:15 am

Thanks Julie!! Checking that out now!

38 abby April 15, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Love audible!!! My bf has it and we pick out books together! He does a lot of traveling, so it’s totally worth it! He also like to listen to audio books and podcasts while he runs!

39 Laura April 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I didn’t realise that Audible.com had a subscription service, but most of the audiobooks that I download from the NZ iTunes store are from Audible.com, and at the beginning and end of every book, this voice in a really strong American accent says, “This audiobook was presented by Audible.com. Audible.com, something something wherever you are!” and that’s all I can hear when I see it typed above, ha.

40 Tracey April 15, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I really enjoyed reading the nanny diaries so I’m going to have to get this follow up book. Thanks for letting me know it’s out.
Tracey recently posted..Favorite New Bar

41 Amy April 15, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Library library library!!!!! It’s freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Emma McLaughlin’s dad was my philosophy professor in college! I’ve been meaning to read Nanny Returns, I’m glad to hear you liked it!
Amy recently posted..rereading tolkien- watch out for spiders!

42 colleen April 15, 2011 at 4:50 pm

So funny that you mentioned Audible.com. I was looking at the site today. Our library has a small section of audible books to check out and Audible.com has all the books I want to read this summer. Wasn’t sure though of the costs or quality of service.

43 Kerry April 15, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Harry Potter is great on Audio book, the other best thing to run to is podcasts. You can get most of them for free on Itunes and they are GREAT! My favorite is NPR’s Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me – The NPR News Quiz. It is funny and educational.

44 Meghann April 17, 2011 at 11:16 am

I’ve tried Podcasts, but I don’t find them as interesting. I’m not a fan of radio shows either and they’re kind of similar in my head.

45 Katy (The Singing Runner) April 15, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I definitely need to try listening to an audiobook while running. However, I zone out pretty easily on runs when I have music, so I’m afraid I would do the same with an audiobook!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..21!!!

46 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 15, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I haven’t tried Audible.com. But I’d be interested in hearing a review – hint, hint. πŸ™‚
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Connect the Dots

47 Lacey @ Lake Life April 15, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I used Audible back in the day and it was ok. Most of the books were broken up into parts but as long as you can keep track of them, it shouldn’t be a problem.
You’re definitely right about skipping the movie and reading the book! The only movie I’ve ever liked more than the book was The Notebook.
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..ABC’s of ME

48 Julie (Food & Other Things) April 15, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I also loved the Nanny Diaries! I have the Nanny Returns but I haven’t had the chance to read it yet.

49 Laura (Starloz) April 15, 2011 at 8:58 pm

i had no idea there was a secondbook. i’ll have to get it now. i loved the first book
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..Forming a pattern

50 Christine April 15, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I’m not a chic lit fan, but the first Nanny book was better, in my opinion, than the second. I’ve toyed with listening to some nonfiction or bios while I run but I’m worried they’d slow me down (and I’m not fast to begin). Have you had any trouble?
Christine recently posted..Holy Hypocritical- Batman!

51 Meghann April 17, 2011 at 11:18 am

I’ve only listed to them on runs I don’t care about speed. I wouldn’t listen to an audio book during a race or speed workouts, but for random long runs it’s great.

52 Alaina April 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Coconut peanut butter?? where did you get that??
Alaina recently posted..Working My Way Back- 1369 Coffee House

53 Meghann April 17, 2011 at 11:18 am

It’s Naturally Nutty brand and I bought it at a local health store, but you can find it online.

54 Allison April 15, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I used and enjoyed Audible until I realized I could “check out” (in other words, download for a limited time) free audio books (and e-books) from my library.

55 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 16, 2011 at 12:01 am

I must try audiobooks now that you’ve raved so much about it πŸ™‚
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Florida Film Festival &amp Tweet-Up

56 Christine @ Burning It Off April 16, 2011 at 7:20 am

I don’t know if I have the attention span to listen to a whole audio book… I’m a terrible listener in general, lol. I’ve also been putting off reading the sequel because the long gap in time between the first and the second book seemed odd to me. Maybe I’ll give it a shot (in the written version of course!)
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..New Release Week at GoodLife

57 Sarah April 16, 2011 at 9:52 am

I just finished listening To The Girl That Played With Fire which I downloaded from audible I drive 2-3 hours a day so I can easily get through 1-2 books a month– I love it!!

58 Sarah April 16, 2011 at 10:13 am

I loved the nanny diaries!! I have to read nanny returns soon. Maybe I’ll get the audiobooks. Running with an audiobook sounds like a really great idea.

59 Sarah April 16, 2011 at 10:50 pm

mmm coconut peanut butter sounds delicious!
I need to find a good audio book, I haven’t listened to one since last spring!
Sarah recently posted..Pop of Red

60 kirsten April 17, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I love audible! I’ve been a member for about a year. I listen to books on my drive to and from work. I think I paid $7.50 for the first three months (you get a credit each month which buys you one book) then it went up to $14.95/month after that (still for one credit.) One time I was going to cancel because $14.95 per month for one book seemed kind of pricey but they gave me a $20 coupon to stay. They also have sales pretty frequently where some of the books go down to $4.95 for members. I would definitely recommend the site.

61 Katie April 18, 2011 at 10:29 am

I Love LOve LOVE audible.com. We got it as a wedding gift almost two years ago and haven’t looked back, but I love listening to books when I run/drive!!