Audiobooks Rule

by Meghann on April 14, 2011

Goooooodddddd Morning. πŸ™‚

Rise and shine! It’s swimming time.

Err…. Scratch that.

5:30 came and 5:30 went. Unfortunately, I was asleep and missed it. Dratz.

There’s always tomorrow. Or this evening. Though, I’m feeling yoga later today

Anyways.

I went for a run instead.

Four miles out and back. I’m in the last few chapters of my audiobook (Nanny Returns for all that inquired) and found myself wanting to run longer just so I could listen to it. Listening to audiobooks on runs is GENUIS. πŸ™‚ (If you’re interested in incorporating something like this into your workouts NextAdvisor.com has great reviews of audiobook services.)

Once back in the apartment I stretched, did sit ups, and made a big bowl of cereal for breakfast.

Mix:

• 1/2 cup Kix
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Honey Sunshine
  • 1/4 cup Uncle Sam’s Strawberry
  • Yogurt + Peanut Flour
  • Pineapple

I used my nifty new Pineapple Cutter to cut the pineapple. Demo coming soon. πŸ™‚

Oh, and here’s a behind the scenes look of what happens once the photos are done.

Mix. Mix. and More Mix.

I’m a mix eater (can’t you tell?) It’s just more fun that way! πŸ™‚

Rasa Lila Fest

This weekend I’ll be attending Rasa Lila Fest on behalf of Attune.

180471_123124221094748_122943754446128_160367_487807_n.jpg

Rasa Lila Fest is basically a HUGE yoga festival showcasing different yoga studios in the area from sun up to sun down in a big open field. There will be local food vendors, entertainers, and even the option of camping on site.

If you are attending – look for me! I’ll be sporting my Attune Brand Ambassador shirt and will be distributing FREE coupons for Attune products. It’s also always fun to make new friends. πŸ™‚

1 Kara April 14, 2011 at 9:56 am

I tried running to an audio book, but I got so annoyed because my iPod lost my place between runs like 3 times so I had to fast forward back to my spot. After I finished that book, I swore to never do it again!

That yoga festival sounds fun!
Kara recently posted..Training and teething

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 14, 2011 at 9:58 am

That Rasa Lila Fest sounds awesome! I love yoga festivals. Here in Windsor we have a day long yoga festival outdoors that raises money for breast cancer and breast thermography. It’s great!

3 Kaitlin April 14, 2011 at 9:59 am

Audiobooks sound great, but I’d be worried they wouldn’t be motivating enough to keep running! Sometimes you just need a little Taio Cruz, am I right?
Kaitlin recently posted..15 Minute Risotto and a Mediocre Run

4 Meghann April 14, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I like audiobooks for training runs. For races or speedwork I 100% agree you need music. πŸ™‚

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 14, 2011 at 10:02 am

That festival sounds like fun!

I need to start listening to books when I run. What a great idea!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

6 Freya April 14, 2011 at 10:03 am

I ran to three Twilight audio books during marathon training, but it was kinda irritating – sometimes that book is SLOOOOW and all that happened was Bella moaned for 12miles!I think it’s great with a gripping book though πŸ™‚
Freya recently posted..The Real Shady

7 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 14, 2011 at 10:04 am

I have never tried to listen to an audiobook while running I’ll have try! πŸ™‚

PS I totally know how hard it is to imagine getting in a pool when you’re all warm and snuggled up in bed! πŸ˜›

8 Dori April 14, 2011 at 10:09 am

I wish I could focus on an audiobook but my mind wanders way too much when I run. That’s why I just stick with music!
Dori recently posted..Placing Bets on My Misfortune

9 Ali @ Ali Runs April 14, 2011 at 10:17 am

I have never thought to listen to audio books while running, but it definitely sounds like a good way to pass the time. My only problem with it might be that I tend to zone out when I run so I would probably miss chunks and have to go back and re-listen. πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Buffalo Marathon Training- 12 Mile Run

10 Errign April 14, 2011 at 10:18 am

That looks like a fun yoga event! Your cereal mixes always look great.

11 Emily April 14, 2011 at 10:21 am

I don’t think I could do audio books on my run. I zone out way too much to concentrate on following along. But I’m down with the idea, I always want more time to get through all of the books on my list!

12 Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf April 14, 2011 at 10:29 am

When I was a gym regular, I used to stay longer on the treadmill just because the TV was on Biggest Loser and I wanted to see the end of it! πŸ™‚ I’ve never listened to audio books or podcasts while working out. I fear I would lose so much concentration that I’d lose momentum. Though I listen to music while working out just gloriously, so I could be wrong…
Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf recently posted..ABC’s

13 Hope April 14, 2011 at 10:46 am

I’ve always wanted to try listening to audio books while I’m at work. I’m not sure if I would like it though. It’s definitely worth a shot πŸ™‚

14 Pam April 14, 2011 at 10:48 am

I always walk with podcasts and run with music. I feel like I go faster with music, but that’s not always a good thing, I guess. Might have to try your method to see how it goes :).

A yoga festival sounds so cool! Wish we had something like that around here!
Pam recently posted..Wednesday Turn Around

15 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 14, 2011 at 10:49 am

I love audio books and listen to them allll the time. I always have one in my car cuz the radio blows. I listened to a book when I went for a walk earlier this week. It was great.

16 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 14, 2011 at 10:56 am

I’ve never listened to an audiobook, but I heard they’re also great for long car rides. Enjoy your day! πŸ™‚

17 Biz April 14, 2011 at 10:58 am

The other day I told you I was down to 1 song on my iPod because I hated everything. So I had Hannah sync up my iPod to her play list – I have to say, I am liking Snow Patrol and Paramore – who knew?

Great idea on the books on tape – never thought of that.
Biz recently posted..Clean Eating’s Sesame Noodles and Pretzel Roll Burgers

18 Meghann April 14, 2011 at 7:52 pm

You have excellent music taste. πŸ™‚

19 Khushboo April 14, 2011 at 11:32 am

Saved by a run ha! If it means sleeping for a little longer, running defo trumps swimming!
Khushboo recently posted..France would be proud

20 Amy April 14, 2011 at 11:56 am

Do you download audio books onto your ipod from itunes? What a great idea! I’ve downloaded several podcasts (NPR’s wait wait don’t tell me is my FAVORITE!) but never thought to do an audio book. Any other suggestions of fun books to listen to while running?
Amy recently posted..hmph

21 Meghann April 14, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Yep. But they’re kind of expensive, so I’m exploring other, cheaper options.

22 Tessa @ Amazing Asset April 14, 2011 at 11:58 am

Yes, audio books certainly do rule! I just finished South of Broad by Pat Conroy and it was such a great story. I would definitely suggest it for your next book! It takes place in the South, near Charleston specifically, and the author draws you in to the story immediately and I made connections with all of the characters. I really wanted to know the fate of the characters and it was bittersweet to finish, because I could not get enough of the story πŸ™‚
I’m going to try the book you are currently listening to next!
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Accepting The Weight Of It All

23 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 14, 2011 at 12:10 pm

My professor told me he listens to audiobooks when he runs marathons. I definitely like music to pump me up during a race, but I should listen to audiobooks during training runs!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

24 Lauren April 14, 2011 at 12:40 pm

5:30 is definitely a little too early for swimming, LoL. The run sounded much better for that time of day. πŸ˜‰
Lauren recently posted..The Secret To Healthy Eating

25 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 14, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I’ve never tried running to an audio book before, but it sounds like a good idea!! I almost always run to music, but I think an audio book would be a good way to switch things up. Thanks for the idea!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Top Eats and Week 1 Gum-Free!

26 Lauren April 14, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I don’t think I could listen to audiobooks on my runs. I’m so bad with audiobooks in general — I totally zone out. I feel like I never absorb any of the material.

The Rasa-Lila Festival sounds SO fun! I hope you have a great time.
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

27 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 14, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Ohhhh I have to try that–audiobooks would be right up my alley. Rock on, thanks πŸ™‚

28 Ashley April 14, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Audio books bore me, but maybe I just haven’t found the right now. The festival looks really fun!

29 Jaclyn April 14, 2011 at 2:21 pm

That yoga fest looks amazing! I am jealous!!
Jaclyn recently posted..Dhalia Lounge

30 Kacy April 14, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I don’t know if I could run to an audiobook. I feel like I wouldn’t be able to pay attention? I may try it though!
Kacy recently posted..A Healthy Habit Journey- Post 9 from the SIL- Eat More Fiber!

31 Meghann April 14, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I didn’t think I would either, but I get really into it. πŸ™‚

32 Erin D. April 14, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I LOVE running to audiobooks (and podcasts)! You end up paying so much attention to the book that you don’t notice the miles ticking by or the fatigue in your legs. Funnily enough, Nanny Returns it the first audiobook I listened to while running! It had always been music or old This American Life/Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me podcasts.

33 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm

This reminds me I need to use the Attune coupon you gave me when we met the last time πŸ˜€

34 Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) April 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Thank you for supporting audiobooks! I am a professional voiceover artist and it’s how I pay my rent!! I <3 audiobooks too.
Hope you have a great yoga class! (you can always swim tomorrow;)

35 Meghann April 14, 2011 at 7:54 pm

So cool!!! Would I recognize your voice form any books??

36 Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) April 14, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Well, the latest book I voiced was “A Parent’s Guide To Texting, Facebook and Social Media.” By Shawn Edgington. I have yet to read a book that I would love and go buy, but I am always learning tons of stuff. I also do lots of tutorials, phone systems, commercials, animations, etc;)
Thanks for your reply girl! You rock!!!

37 caitlin April 14, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I love audiobooks- I cant run to them, I need music but i listen to them on my loooooong drive to work. It makes the time in the car go by SO much faster!
caitlin recently posted..Confession

38 Sarah April 15, 2011 at 9:08 am

I love listening to audio books when i run! It lets me focus on something and keeps me going longer! I have listened to 2 full books. I should find another one and get started asap!

Breakfast looks DELICIOUS as always πŸ™‚
Sarah recently posted..Self Serve Froyo and Playlists