Feeding the Kiddos

by Meghann on April 13, 2011

I had a helper in the kitchen today. πŸ™‚

Hi Lexie! πŸ™‚

My cousins (plus munchkins) were in Tampa today for some routine doctor appointments. Nothing says adventure like driving 2+ hours to see a doctor. Before their afternoon of waiting rooms I offered them a place to stretch their legs and grab a bite to eat. Plus, it’s always nice to have visitors! πŸ™‚

And let me tell you, it doesn’t take much to entertain a couple of little ones.

You like locking yourself up in crate kid? Have at it! πŸ™‚

The same can’t be said for Maddie.

After being chased to a corner, ‘petted’ one too many times, and pooping herself, Maddie had enough. She sought shelter from the little ones by going above ground.

IMG_2240.jpg

Poor Maddie. Poor Lexie and Bella. They just wanted to play!

I love kids. They’re fun to play with, they’re fun to joke with, and they’re fun to ogle at. However, I don’t know the first thing about kids. I never really babysat as a teenager and I could probably count on one hand how many times I’ve changed a diaper (though most kids aren’t in diapers πŸ™‚ ).

I also have no idea what to feed kids. I have this dream of one day feeding my future children fresh, organic veggies and homemade bean burgers, served in fun shapes with fun toppings. But, I know that’s not the reality.

Once I realized everyone was staying for lunch – and I would be feeding the three youngsters – I panicked. I had no clue where to start.

I grabbed the old standby of PB & Jelly, but was quickly turned down when I discovered Jason didn’t like Peanut butter. I don’t blame him – I didn’t like peanut butter as a child either.

However, I knew he liked pizza and thought ‘pizza toast’ would be a fun meal for him to try. Lexie helped as I slathered wheat bread with marinara sauce and provolone cheese.

We popped the toast under the broiler for a few minutes and served the ‘pizza toast’ with pretzels for the kids and salads for the adults.

The pizza toast was a little light for my taste, but I thought it was the perfect compromise for the kiddos. It really was a mini pizza. πŸ™‚

My salad consisted of greens, tomato, mushroom, cucumber, and a light blue cheese dressing.

The meal was light, so I bulked it up with a Chocolate Oikos.

Bella and Lexie were fans.

IMG_2220.JPG IMG_2222.JPG

Jason was not πŸ™

He never actually tried a bite of it, but he did mention something about the ‘weird bread and cheese.’

2 out of 3 isn’t bad, right?

I did manage to win him over with cookies for dessert.

Derek came home with some homemade chocolate chip cookies last night and I happily passed them along to the kids, while enjoying one for myself. I can already tell you I’m going to be one of those parents’ that cave with my kids. I can feel it.

Next time I’ll be more prepared when it comes to preparing a healthy, quick meal for the gang.

Or, I’ll just have to make sure I had cookies on hand. πŸ˜‰

1 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 13, 2011 at 3:29 pm

mmmm good idea with the quick pizza for kids!

looks like you have quite a handful today, good luck! πŸ™‚

2 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm

What a fun lunch with family. I’d take a slice of that pizza right now!

3 Faith @ lovelyascharged April 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Man, kids can be so frustrating to feed! When I worked at the preschool, I had one girl whose mother sent her with fat free cottage cheese, organic carrots, spring water etc…guess who beelined for the other kids’ cheetos, Sunny D and pizza? They certainly dont have a palette for healthy stuff!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..How to Frustrate the Living Foccacia out of a Blogger

4 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm

LOL! His face is too funny. Quick thinking — pizza is (almost πŸ˜‰ ) always a kid pleaser!
Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing recently posted..Vegan Mango Lassi

5 Freya April 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Good meal idea! & cute kids..but I am SO not a child person! I think the maternal gene skipped me :/
Freya recently posted..The Real Shady

6 Casey April 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Haha I laughed out loud at my desk at that Maddie part. Poor girl! πŸ™‚

7 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 13, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I like the idea of that “pizza” — quick to throw together that is for sure.

Poor Maddie — I would have done the same thing. Too much attention and I go crazy!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

8 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm

2 hour drive just to see a doctor? I hope it was a specialist!

9 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers April 13, 2011 at 4:26 pm

i drive 2 hrs to see my dentist… well, he is in my parents’ hometown, so i just tack my visits along to visits to see them, but when you find a doctor you love, sometimes it’s worth it! i am TERRIFIED of anything medical and i trust my dentist. πŸ™‚ i hope he moves with me if i ever leave florida! πŸ™‚
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..The Power of a Plan

10 Angela April 13, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Jason goes to the shriner’s hospital in tampa for his cerebral palsy
Angela recently posted..Weekly Ads and Wimpy Kids

11 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 15, 2011 at 11:10 am

So sorry to hear that he has cerebral palsy. It’s good that he’s getting treatment for it but it must be tough to have to travel so much for a doctor.

12 Laura April 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm

when I saw the post title in my google reader, definitely thought it said “feeling the kiddos.” that would have been an entirreeeeely different post πŸ™‚

13 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Your cousins are adorable! I did a lot of babysitting in my younger teenage years, and although I wasn’t too keen on the kids that bawled their eyes out (“I know you want your mum, but she’s just not here right now!!”), some babysitting was fun! I’ve never had to babysit a kid that didn’t like pizza! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Top Eats and Week 1 Gum-Free!

14 Amanda April 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I love that idea! We did the same thing last week with pitas, mostly because the market we went to didn’t have any other form of pizza dough. But it did allow everyone to get their own personal pizza with whatever toppings they want. Other than that, Reid was a picky gal…she stuck to PB&J, chicken tenders and goldfish all week.
Amanda recently posted..I went to SeaWorld

15 Jamie April 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm

My son is 4 and for the most part actually likes healthy foods. You just have to start them early. One of his favorite snacks is carrots with hummus :-). With that being said, I do know that sometimes there is nothing you can do if they are totally determined to be picky but I do think parents can greatly influence their preferences!

16 Sarah for Real April 13, 2011 at 3:44 pm

That looks pretty kid friendly to me! Maybe you could have done grilled cheese for Mr. Picky-Pants there? Some people are so hard to please haha.

I also have dreams of feeding my children lots of wholesome food. I think kids can be flexible if they’re raised amongst lots of different foods. My husband grew up loving the weirdest foods because his dad traveled all over the globe and introduced him to them at a young age. Things like sushi. Things his friends (and me as a kid!) probably would never touch. I figure if kids can enjoy sushi, brussles sprouts should be easy!

(Ok, parents out there, you can laugh at me now :p)

17 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 13, 2011 at 3:45 pm

WOW- you had a great idea, nice job doing it on the fly! Poor kid…he didn’t know what he was missing. And hello YES to homemade cookies. YUmm.

18 Mimi April 13, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Woah, I’d feel thrown for a loop if I realized I was feeding adults + kids, too! Looks like your managed well!
Mimi recently posted..Dessert hummus

19 annette (with a side of brownies) April 13, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Wow, those could have been my kids. My little guys would have loved it and my older boy wouldn’t have touched it. I thought it looked like a fun meal, better luck next time πŸ™‚

20 Laura @ Backstage Pass April 13, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Awww – haha – the kids are so cute. But the photos of Maddie’s and Jason’s sour expressions are hilarious!
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..House 2- Zak &amp Laura 0

21 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 13, 2011 at 4:12 pm

omg I’m the same way! I never know how to even act around kids. I clam up and become so uncomfortable/scared. Kids sense fear. No lie.

Also I’ve never changed a diaper in my entire life. I’m going to be a terrible mom. πŸ˜‰
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Running for Reals

22 jamie@everydaydolce April 13, 2011 at 4:13 pm

What an adorable little girl!! And kudos to you for throwing something fun and healthy together for kids lunch, even if you only got 2 outta 3, haha! Looks like a fun time πŸ™‚
jamie@everydaydolce recently posted..The things of spring

23 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers April 13, 2011 at 4:28 pm

oh gosh, if kids came to our place i don’t know what i would do. i think i have some frozen meatballs in my freezer. kids like meatballs, right!?
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..The Power of a Plan

24 Alaina April 13, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Pizza looks like a great idea! It seems pretty universal (or so I thought πŸ˜‰ )
Alaina recently posted..Working My Way Back- 1369 Coffee House

25 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run April 13, 2011 at 4:37 pm

OMGosh, I can’t imagine any child not wanting pizza toast. You can’t eat your pudding if you don’t eat your meat! πŸ˜›

26 River April 13, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Good work, looks yum, very creative.

I can’t believe how fussy some kids are though…not everyone trying it…really?
River recently posted..Weekend Recap

27 erica April 13, 2011 at 4:53 pm

ah kiddos. i have the same feelings as you, as i was never around kids growing up. you would love my nephew though. he looooves fruit and yogurt πŸ™‚

i think you did a good job. πŸ™‚
erica recently posted..oh cheesus

28 Kimberly @ Healthy Strides April 13, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I love this post! We had friends over, and I freaked out because I realized that I didn’t have anything for their 18-month-old. I offered PB&J and grilled cheese but the parents said no. As it turned out, the baby was happy to eat the chicken and sausage gumbo I made for the adults!
Kimberly @ Healthy Strides recently posted..Eat this and that

29 Becca April 13, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Cute kids! And what a good idea to have them hang out for a while to break up their driving a little!
I LOVE the photo of the girls in the crate! So funny! My cousins’ kids do that too! I think that’s a universal kid thing. πŸ˜€
I don’t think I’ve ever met a kid who didn’t like pizza… Although I’m not sure about the provolone. LOL! I can’t remember if I’ve ever had it or not, but my parents have always encouraged me & my sister to at least TRY things. I’d have eaten at least a couple of bites of the pizza toast.
Becca recently posted..I don’t want to leave…

30 LoriV. @ For the Run of It April 13, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Okay, I have to know, do they always leave the house in matching colors/clothes? They all had it, even the boy. And that boy reminds me of my kid, would hate it without trying it.

I love Maddie!

31 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 13, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I used to keep a bag of breaded chicken tenders in the freezer when my nieces were young.

Pop them in the oven for 15 minutes and ta da! a meal most any kid will love.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Bye- bye blue cheese

32 Hilary April 13, 2011 at 7:09 pm

So cute! I know what you mean….I don’t feel like my diet is very “kid-friendly.”….I’m not sure what I do if/when I’m a parent!
Hilary recently posted..Caution- splurges ahead!

33 Ashley April 13, 2011 at 7:09 pm

They are so cute!!
I think you did a great job, it’s hard to feed kids.
Poor Maddie, just didn’t know what to do.

34 Courtney April 13, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I feed by kids veggies and bean burgers! They gobble it up! They always eat the fruit first on their plate – and I’m not just saying it. Don’t offer an alternative – they think that’s the food you are supposed to eat! It’s so awesome! I feel very lucky! Heck – I know you know Mama Pea!

35 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 13, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I work at a daycare and I still don’t know how to act around kids! They are tricky creatures πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

36 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 13, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Haha! There’s always one picky eater. You did good.

37 Kacy April 13, 2011 at 7:46 pm

The little ones are too cute! Poor Maddie though πŸ˜‰
Kacy recently posted..A Healthy Habit Journey- Post 9 from the SIL- Eat More Fiber!

38 Lauren April 13, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I often wonder if my kids will be picky eaters. Gosh I hope not!!! I can only dream of little toddler who ask for Green Monsters in their sippy cups. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..The Secret To Healthy Eating

39 Laura (Starloz) April 13, 2011 at 9:06 pm

i cant believe he wouldnt eat it. it looks delicious.

i’m with you, i dont know what to feed kids.
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..Forming a pattern

40 Krissy - Shiawase Life April 13, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I loved eating pizza toast when I was a kid! I think you were very inventive and considerate of their kid-eating needs! =)
Krissy – Shiawase Life recently posted..Vegan Update

41 Michelle April 13, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Kudos to you for even attempting to feed 3 kids! I have 2 and their appetites/food choices vary. Sometimes they don’t eat. Sometimes they have 3 servings. There’s no rhyme or reason!

I have to say — if my cousin came over with her 3 kids I would have said, “Sooo, we’re eating out, right?”
Michelle recently posted..A Little Whine and Wine

42 Amy April 14, 2011 at 12:13 am

Jason’s face in the photo above is priceless! Love!
Amy recently posted..Hump Day musings &amp a package!

43 Kristin April 14, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Oh my goodness! My gram used to make me pizza toast all the time growing up. Guess what I’m totally making for dinner — hooray nostalgia!
Kristin recently posted..moving!

44 erin April 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm

my son is super picky…even th0ugh I started out with organic veggies/fruit, veggie burgers, smart dogs, whole wheat pastas…he used to eat it all…now if it looks funny he doesn’t even pick it up.

Last night he got upset that i mixed broccoli, chicken sausage and noodles in the same bowl…he loves all three ingredients but since they were touching..it was a no go…
erin recently posted..My Music Monday