Crabby

by Meghann on April 13, 2011

mmm…. Crab Cakes….

…soft, flavorful, crabby… just the way I like ’em. πŸ˜‰

Crab Cakes were one of the first dishes I learned to cook when I was on my own in college. I remember watching a Food Network tutorial one evening and thinking to myself ‘Hey! I can cook that!’ It sort of became my specialty after that.

They’re really easy too.

Here’s what you need:

• 8 oz Crab Meat
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 cup Bread Crumbs (I used Wheat Bran because that’s all I had. πŸ™‚ )
  • 1 T Mayo
  • 2 T Dijon Mustard
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped Red Onion
  • 2 t Lemon Juice
  • 1/2 cup Corn
  • Old Bay Seasoning
  • Chili Powder
  • Oregano
  • Salt & Pepper

Here’s what you do:

Combine it all in a bowl

Form patties and cook in a little olive oil on the stove top.

Done.

The corn was a last minute addition to the crab cakes, but I love how it gave each bite a tiny burst of sweetness. The crab cakes were perfect.

I paired the crab cakes with homemade sweet potato fries.

And Steamfresh brussel sprouts.

Fresh Brussel Sprouts are still a little pricey at the store. The frozen steam-in-a-bag sprouts are a great alternative in the mean time. πŸ™‚

I snacked on some nuts and cereal while working at Starbucks this afternoon (can’t find the photo?) and had a few squares of a chocolate bar for dessert.

Tonight’s guilty pleasure?

Watching Man v. Food and Extreme Couponing.

I <3 trashy tv!

Good Night!

1 Courtney @ the granola chronicles April 13, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I lived in Baltimore last year – known for crab cakes…and I never had one! I’m so picky when it comes to seafood – people always rave about crab cakes, so maybe I should finally give them a try. πŸ™‚
Courtney @ the granola chronicles recently posted..A Tradition Unlike Any Other

2 Kelly April 13, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Haha this post is practically an ad for Publix brand products. I <3 publix. πŸ™‚
Kelly recently posted..3 Month Strength Training Review

3 Krissy - Shiawase Life April 13, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I miss Publix!!!!!
Krissy – Shiawase Life recently posted..Vegan Update

4 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 13, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I make salmon patties like that too. Yummy.

5 Krissy - Shiawase Life April 13, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Yums! We made crab cake pizza last night!! =D
Krissy – Shiawase Life recently posted..Vegan Update

6 Stephanie @ LiveCookLove April 13, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I love trashy tv too πŸ™‚

7 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 13, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I love crab cakes — at home I usually sub in salmon or tuna. Either way, I love foods in “patty” form!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

8 Ashley April 13, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Before I became vegan I used to love crab cakes! Even though I don’t eat them now, I can appreciate them, and the veggies look really great. πŸ˜‰

9 Kaitlin April 13, 2011 at 10:41 pm

These look AMAZING!! I need to go back to eating crustaceans– the food is to die for πŸ™‚

10 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 13, 2011 at 10:48 pm

you had me at crab! I’m a Maryland-er by birth so I adore crab, those look so yummy! πŸ™‚

sweet potato fries and brussels don’t hurt either, delish! πŸ™‚

11 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 13, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I’ve never made crab cakes before, I think I’ve always been to intimidated by them. They look delicious and I love the sweet potato fry pairing πŸ˜€
Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..Weekend Wedding

12 Lee April 13, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Shoot, I forgot to watch Extreme Couponing. Did you watch last week when that woman bought 35 bottles of Maalox? Who needs that?!
Lee recently posted..I Ran Before I Crawled Before I Slept

13 Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted April 14, 2011 at 12:50 am

I’m pretty sure the twins on tonight bought a ton of bottles of Maalox too! Hopefully they donated them!
Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted recently posted..Dad’s Birthday

14 Jamie@everydaydolce April 13, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I love crab cakes! I recently became a vegetarian so I miss them but this recipe looks awesome! πŸ™‚

15 Alaina April 13, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I love watching Man vs. Food. Sometimes I can’t stomach watching his challenges. But for the most part, it’s very entertaining. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Working My Way Back- 1369 Coffee House

16 Laura (Starloz) April 13, 2011 at 11:30 pm

corn & crab, that totally makes sense. these look tasty.
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..Forming a pattern

17 Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries April 13, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Seeing those Publix labels on food containers makes me jealous! Haha. I’m from Florida originally (went to FSU as well, class of 09!) and I now live in NYC. I miss Publix so much, all of those two for one deals…it’s so cheap and awesome. The grocery stores here are insane, a box of cereal is like $6.50 for Kashi!

Anyways, that crab cake recipe looks delicious πŸ™‚

18 Ellie April 14, 2011 at 12:05 am

OMG I’ve been cravy crab cakes! I’m making those this weekend!

19 Amy April 14, 2011 at 12:15 am

I rarely say this about recipes but I actually think I could make those haha! I am two left hands and one eyed in the kitchen and easy recipes are all I can handle right now!
Amy recently posted..Hump Day musings &amp a package!

20 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 14, 2011 at 12:18 am

I used to love crab! One of the few foods I miss as a vegetarian πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

21 Sarah for Real April 14, 2011 at 12:45 am

Wow I love crab cakes! I think that’s awesome that something so fancy-like was your college specialty haha.

ps Brussels sprouts are a late-fall/early-winter crop so you’ve got some time before the fresh ones are cheaper than the frozen. Stock up!
Sarah for Real recently posted..Bad Lauryl

22 Sarah for Real April 14, 2011 at 1:17 am

pps I am mistaken about the Brussels sprouts! I guess in your area they are ready as early as June! That’s nuts.
Sarah for Real recently posted..Bad Lauryl

23 Hats @ See How She Runs April 14, 2011 at 4:53 am

I’m guilty of liking a bit of trashy TV too. In the UK we have a programme called ‘Snog, Marry, Avoid’ where people with orange skin, bleached hair, false everything etc etc get a ‘make-under’. Trashy but brilliant. Another one is ‘Hotter than My Daughter’ – the stuff these mature women wear is hysterical!
Hats @ See How She Runs recently posted..Week in Blogs 1

24 Lauren April 14, 2011 at 6:44 am

Love homemade crab cakes. They are super easy and so worth it.
Lauren recently posted..The Secret To Healthy Eating

25 katie April 14, 2011 at 7:12 am

Loving the crab cake feast!

I love watching trashy tv too ; ) never watched that coupon show but heard it’s crazy!!
katie recently posted..Out fit

26 Amy April 14, 2011 at 7:50 am

Oooh I looooooooooove crab cakes. Those look delicious and so easy – but I think for maximum indulgence I would then dip them in egg and panko bread crumbs before frying them up. Yum.

We watch Man vs. Food from time to time at my house – my husband and I have noticed Adam seems to have put on some weight since season one! Ha!!
Amy recently posted..back in action

27 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie April 14, 2011 at 7:53 am

I feel the same way about crab cakes! They are so good and simple. When I first saw how to make them, I was like, “this looks foolproof. I can probably pull this off.”
Alina @ Duty Free Foodie recently posted..Suisha Gardens

28 Ali @ Ali Runs April 14, 2011 at 9:26 am

Love this post! I have missed your recipes! πŸ™‚ Can’t wait to make these soon!!

29 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 14, 2011 at 9:33 am

Yum this looks absolutely delicious! What a healthy yummy dinner!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Getting Ahead of Myself

30 Hope April 14, 2011 at 9:39 am

I absolutely LOVE crab cakes! I’ve never made them before because I thought they were really complicated and involved. Thank you so much for posting a recipe! I definitely want to make these for dinner sometime this weekend! πŸ™‚ I always buy frozen brussels sprouts and then I roast them and they turn out perfectly. The fresh ones are way too expensive! The frozen ones roasted taste exactly like the fresh ones. πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..A Summer Preview…

31 Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf April 14, 2011 at 10:32 am

I have been known to roast even frozen brussels sprouts. πŸ™‚ Love!
Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf recently posted..ABC’s

32 Pam April 14, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’ve never tried to make crab cakes, but I may give it go now. That looks easier than I expected! Sweet potatoes and brussels are one of my favorite combinations, but I’m not sure why.
Pam recently posted..Wednesday Turn Around

33 Brittney April 14, 2011 at 10:55 am

I love Adam on Man vs. Food. He totally makes the show πŸ™‚ Okay, I might have to get over my fear of making seafood at home and try making crab cakes sometime! You’ve inspired me πŸ˜‰
Brittney recently posted..Travel Anxiety

34 Kacy April 14, 2011 at 11:36 am

For some reason I just can’t stomach the frozen/steamed brussels. Luckily they’ve been on sale here a lot recently so I can get them fresh!

35 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 14, 2011 at 12:30 pm

When I ate meat, I was obsessed with crab cakes. The best ones I ever had were in Maryland!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..vegan lentil carrot burgers

36 Paige@Two Runners And A Brown Dog April 14, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I have never seen corn in crab cakes before….I think it’s a nice touch!!! Way to get those veggies in!
Paige@Two Runners And A Brown Dog recently posted..Some Things I’ll Just Never Do

37 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 14, 2011 at 1:27 pm

ohhhh I have to try this- thanks! I love seafood. p.s. I need to try those steamed veggies (brussels) i have never tried ’em before…

38 Allie April 14, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Oh man, I want everything on your plate (well minus the ketchup). I never knew it was so easy to make crab cakes. I’ll have to try that out.

39 Sarah April 14, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Crab cakes are awesome! I feel like every time I order one at a restaurant I’ve gotten more bread than crab though.. I’ll definitely be trying out your recipe!
Sarah recently posted..Endorphins Make You Happy

40 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 14, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I’ve tried Steamfresh’s brussel sprouts but just can’t seem to develop any liking. Fresh ones no doubt are pricey! Love that you made crab cakes so simply πŸ™‚
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Florida Film Festival &amp Tweet-Up