To Orlando and Back

by Meghann on April 12, 2011

Want to know what makes my weekly trip back to Orlando more bearable?

Driving with a friend! πŸ™‚

Megan was kind enough to accommodate me to Orlando this afternoon to film next week’s installment of Meals and Miles.

She was also kind enough to photograph my driving snack.

And photograph me eating it.

mmmm… apple…. πŸ˜‰

We made it to Orlando just in time to….

You guessed it!

We did a little rock climbing for the show.

It was fun. We even made a few new friends. And I learned why you have to use your legs and not your arms. Ouch. I’m going to be sore in the morning.

You’ll have to check out next week’s episode to see how we did.

In the mean time the Paddleboard Yoga episode is live!

Screen shot 2011-04-12 at 10.54.16 PM.png

Go check it out!

After filming wrapped we bid our new friends adieu and headed to Ethos for a quick bite before heading back to Tampa.

I ordered the vegan Muffalata.

And now have tummy aches from the fake meat and non-dairy cheese. Blah.

The chips and salsa were good though.

Since we were driving by the Disney area, Megan and I thought it would be fun to check out the new Babycakes that had recently opened in Downtown Disney.

We weren’t sure what to expect and were surprised when we discovered the Babycakes Bakery was only a little counter in a Pollo Loco and wasn’t even clearly marked on the outside. We would have missed it if we hadn’t known it was located there after a quick google search.

They did have cupcakes though. Vegan, gluten-free cupcakes.

Megan and I ordered a Lemon and Brownie to split.

Something tells me these Babycakes weren’t the same ones people rave about in NYC. They were very dry and rather tasteless. Not worth the hype.

But, now we know.

The drive home was filled with random music and belting out Mariah Carey ‘all I want For Christmas’ at the top of our lungs. Yay friends. πŸ™‚

It’s been a long day.

Good night friends πŸ™‚

1 River April 12, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Ohh that’s a shame! The cupcakes look so good!
River recently posted..Weekend Recap

2 Marge April 12, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Meghann, I’ve been getting my hair done at the salon next to babycakes in NYC since the bakery opened. They look pretty and I love the people there…but each time I go, I am very disappointed. I don’t know why I go back. I think it is because as you said, others rave about it. I am just going to put this out there: if gluten doesn’t present a health issue to you why would I ever eat gluten free cup cakes?? It is one of those lessons I (don’t) learn the hard way each time. I will say, the frosting has an interesting texture, kinda gloopy in the most pleasant way possible.

3 Meghann April 12, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Thanks Marge. It’s good to hear we weren’t the only ones who thought so. And I completely agree about the gluten free statement.

4 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 12, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Oh I LOVE rock climbing-so so cool! Sorry about the tummy ache, hope it feels better soon!! By the way, sorry your cupcake experience wasn’t awesome…that always bites πŸ™

5 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 12, 2011 at 11:34 pm

looks like a lot of fun can’t wait to get a chance to watch the episode!

mmmm mufaletta…. mmmm πŸ™‚

6 Ely April 12, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I <3 road trips! Especially when it's nice out and you can rock out to music with the windows open!! One question: I've tried to watch a few of your videos, but for some reason they won't play. Could it be because I'm in Canada??
Ely recently posted..Tennis! And a Salad

7 kate@ahealthypassion April 12, 2011 at 11:39 pm

How depressing dry cupcakes are the worst! They look pretty though πŸ™‚
kate@ahealthypassion recently posted..Feeling Green

8 Amanda @ Eating Up April 12, 2011 at 11:52 pm

I’ve had Babycakes in NYC, and I thought the same thing you did. I think they’re a little overhyped…
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..The Breakfast Bracket of Champions

9 Alaina April 13, 2011 at 12:05 am

I love just blasting the music when I’m alone in the car and singing my heart out. πŸ™‚

I haven’t rock climbed in so long. It is so much fun.
Alaina recently posted..Working My Way Back- 1369 Coffee House

10 Ellie April 13, 2011 at 12:24 am

sounds like fun- those cupcakes look amazing! Today is my birthday and no cupcakes were involved- but hey it’s a birth week right
Company makes things better
Ellie recently posted..Looking up

11 Meghann April 13, 2011 at 7:12 am

Happy Birthday!!

12 Marie April 13, 2011 at 12:48 am

Vegan? Gluten free? I’d rather never eat cake again. And yum, fake meat and cheese! I think it’s hilarious that “healthy living” bloggers always eat fake processed substitutes instead of the real thing. Especially when they aren’t actually, ya know, vegetarians. Like it’s healthier.

13 Meghann April 13, 2011 at 7:34 am

I never said it was healthier. I just wanted to try something different. Honestly if I had seen the actual sandwich before I ordered it then I wouldn’t have ordered it. I’d also never tried fake meat before and was interested to see what it tasted like. I ended up pulling the ‘meat’ and ‘cheese’ off halfway though and just ate the olive spread and bread. The real reason I ordered the sandwich was for the olive spread.

And the cupcakes were one of those things we wanted to see what all the hype was about. I have had vegan, gluten free cupcakes that were quite good. These did not met those expectations.

14 Kristen @ SEO Runner April 13, 2011 at 9:27 am

I’d like to point out that plenty of vegetarians and vegans do not eat fake processed meat substitutes.

I’m vegetarian and can do without meat – real or fake. Tofu, tempeh, legumes and whole grains along with whole fruits and veggies are far healthier (and much tastier) than processed substitutes. I’m sure you’ll find many examples of these things on most healthy living blogs.

Trying something isn’t the same as promoting it. Meghann’s right, she tried it, gave her honest opinion and shared the experience.

Olive spread sounds delish, btw.
Kristen @ SEO Runner recently posted..6 More Iron Girl Clearwater Race Recaps

15 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 13, 2011 at 12:50 am

I’ve actually heard that about every Babycakes bakery! There’s one about an hour from me in LA, but I’ve never been because I haven’t heard great things. Too bad- I LOVE cupcakes!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

16 Amy April 13, 2011 at 1:33 am

Even though the cupcakes weren’t that good, at least they looked pretty for your photos. And I also find that sometimes the fake meat/fake cheese gives me a tummy ache as well.. hmm.
Amy recently posted..β€œNon” Exercise Guilt &amp Nightmares

17 Kimra April 13, 2011 at 1:55 am

Oh man, just looking at that wall has me itching to get back to the climbing gym. Can’t wait to watch your experience!
Kimra recently posted..A Dozen- and One More to Go

18 Laura (Starloz) April 13, 2011 at 3:02 am

sometimes vegan food doesn’t quite work. it’s tough.
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..Forming a pattern

19 Hats @ See How She Runs April 13, 2011 at 4:54 am

I haven’t been rock climbing in years! At university I had a few friends who climbed and I wish I’d taken the plunge and joined them. Have you ever done any climbing outdoors?
Hats @ See How She Runs recently posted..Baby- I like it!

20 Meghann April 13, 2011 at 7:13 am

Never. I think it would be a little intimidating. One step at a time. πŸ™‚

21 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East April 13, 2011 at 6:06 am

Friends make everything better!

Sorry the cupcakes were dissappointing. They sure do look good though!
Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East recently posted..Finally!

22 Lauren April 13, 2011 at 6:53 am

What a fun job you have! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..The Secret To Healthy Eating

23 Gina April 13, 2011 at 7:09 am

Even the ones at the babycakes in NYC taste like that, they are all yucky!!

24 Faith @ lovelyascharged April 13, 2011 at 7:42 am

I can’t wait to hit up that rock climbing place! And my stomach is usually okay with non-dairy cheese – that sandwich is now on my list of must-haves!

25 Christine @ Burning It Off April 13, 2011 at 7:43 am

Ugh, I’m terrible at rock climbing… although I’ve only tried bouldering which I’ve heard is harder because you’re carrying your whole body weight without the aid of a rope/harness.
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..Spoiled Leftovers

26 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 13, 2011 at 7:44 am

Too bad about the cupcakes!

I love rock climbing — that is what Jason and I did for our first date!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

27 Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well April 13, 2011 at 7:51 am

Sad about the cupcakes! At least the frosting looks delicious? πŸ™‚
Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well recently posted..Pulling the Trigger

28 Beth @ DiningAndDishing April 13, 2011 at 7:55 am

Looks like a night of vegan fails :).

29 Allie April 13, 2011 at 7:57 am

It looks like you had so much fun! I love that you can make a long drive really fun and enjoyable, that is a good quality to have in life πŸ™‚
Allie recently posted..Most relaxing place

30 Hope April 13, 2011 at 8:05 am

I went to a Vegan restaurant a couple of months ago and tried the fake meat. I think it was tempeh. I was not a fan either. I think it wasn’t prepared properly. If it was then maybe I would have liked it. Maybe the same happened at that restaurant? Sorry to hear about the cupcakes! I will remember not to try them. Glad to hear you had fun filming though! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..A Summer Preview…

31 Ally April 13, 2011 at 8:06 am

I actually got the Babycakes cookbook for Christmas from my brother, and I about tackled him! I have a lot of dietary problems so a vegan/gfree cupcake sounds amazing. Maybe my own at home will be better than the ones in the bakery?

And yeah, replacement meats are a definite crap shoot. When I’m in a vegan restaurant I just go with the soup or salads! πŸ™‚
Ally recently posted..Walking Wounded

32 Morgan April 13, 2011 at 8:10 am

LOVE rock climbing, it’s such a fun, fantastic workout. Time flies, except I can always gnaw my arm off after I’m so hungry! I have my own gear, I should really do it more often.
I found Babycakes to be dry and tasteless too. I even have the cookbook. The cornbread is fantastic, but that’s about it
Morgan recently posted..Fun With Baby Food

33 Kacy April 13, 2011 at 8:27 am

Sometimes I wonder about the whole cupcake craze. I’m not sure if any of them are as amazing as they’re hyped up to be.
Sounds like a fun day though!!

34 Margo April 13, 2011 at 8:29 am

My coworker brought in Babycakes cupcakes once. I was not a fan. I just thought it was because they weren’t fresh from the bakery. Very interesting to see so many people say they don’t live up to the hype!

35 megan @ blackberries for jam April 13, 2011 at 8:43 am

In defense of Babycakes, I’ve visited the NYC bakery many times, and I think the cupcakes are a bit drier than other non-vegan cupcakes (not in a stale way thought), but the flavor makes up for the texture and the frosting is the best I’ve ever tasted! I certainly can’t speak for the Orlando branch though!

36 Krissy @ Shiawase Life April 13, 2011 at 8:47 am

It’s the same babycakes! I tried the lemon one there at DTD and while I think it did taste ‘different’ – I did like it. I have heard that the other pastries are much tastier though!!

I have to say that I did think it was odd that they were a counter in a CHICKEN restaurant. Irony.
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Vegan Update

37 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 13, 2011 at 8:50 am

I agree – even though I eat a mostly vegan diet, I cannot eat fake meat/cheeses. They are overly processed and give me horrible digestive issues!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

38 Amy April 13, 2011 at 9:24 am

I love that you listened to Mariah Carey Christmas music on your drive. Best song ever, no matter what time of year! πŸ™‚
Amy recently posted..back in action

39 Sara April 13, 2011 at 9:30 am

I’m totally psyched you did an episode on rock climbing! πŸ˜€ I hope you loved it, too! πŸ™‚

40 Grace April 13, 2011 at 10:09 am

Loved the paddle board yoga video! It looks like so much fun, I’d be right there with Kelly in the water though! I’ve been wanting to try Ethos and BabyCakes! Is there anything at Ethos that you’ve had before that didn’t give you a belly ache?
Grace recently posted..Oh right…I have a blog

41 DC Runographer April 13, 2011 at 10:10 am

Great blog, instant subscription!
DC Runographer recently posted..Save the Clock Tower 5K and a cycling accident

42 Lucy April 13, 2011 at 10:22 am

Meghann, I adore you ….

But on the last picture at the rock climbing – Stand up straight! You’re a tv star now πŸ˜‰

43 Meghann April 13, 2011 at 10:41 am

I know! I know! I’m working on it. πŸ™‚

44 Krystina (Organically Me) April 13, 2011 at 10:35 am

I have a love/hate relationship with Ethos. The food tastes good, but ALWAYS gives me the worst stomach ache.
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Ice Cream Kinda Day

45 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 13, 2011 at 10:48 am

Often times when people RAVE about certain things, I end up not enjoying it nearly as much. It’s like they’ve hyped it up so much my expectations are out of this world and then I’m left disappointed, haha. Silly, I know!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Running for Reals

46 Ali @ Ali Runs April 13, 2011 at 11:09 am

Driving with friends can seriously make rides go so much faster!! Looks like you guys had an awesome show. Can’t wait to watch it!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Buffalo Marathon Training- 12 Mile Run

47 Christine April 13, 2011 at 11:09 am

I’ve tried Babycakes in NYC and like everyone else is saying here, they are NOT good – dry, tasteless just like your experience in FL! If you go to NYC, skip Babycakes and try Tulu’s gluten free bakery – it has really good reviews AND my friends say it’s tons better than Babycakes!

48 Shannon April 13, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Those cupcakes sure do look delicious. I love driving around with my friends. It makes the time go by some much quicker
Shannon recently posted..2 miles

49 Tara @ trulysimplebits April 13, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I was just in Florida visiting family this week and drove that same highway. Small world πŸ™‚ We loved it there!! Much warmer than California where we live.
PS – The cupcakes look deeeelicious!
Tara @ trulysimplebits recently posted..Oh The Things That Amuse Us

50 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy April 13, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Ethos is hit or miss for me – just had lunch there yesterday and the vegan reuben was awesome, but their curry chickun wrap gives me stomach cramps. I think maybe it’s the vegan mayo?? I still want to try everything on the menu though!!!
Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy recently posted..Making Time to Exercise

51 Nikki April 13, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I live in PA so maybe it’s just the state you live in, but $3.50 for one cupcake and it’s not even jumbo sounds too expensive to me! Wow!

52 Katie G. April 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I will be in NYC in a few weeks and cannot wait to try Babycakes! I’ve heard such good things about them! And since I’m “flirting” with veganism, the idea of a yummy vegan cupcake makes me drool!
Katie G. recently posted..Water Workout