Tortilla Quiche

by Meghann on April 7, 2011

Who’s ready to race?!?!

I’m sort of obsessed with the Iron Girl Half Marathon bibs. They make me want to curl up on a beach and watch the sunset with a good book. Maybe that will be my inspiration as I’m huffing my way up hills on Sunday. πŸ˜‰

Major props to the Iron Girl Staff for hosting today’s pick up at the International Mall in Tampa.

It saved me from having to drive all the way to Clearwater on Saturday and I was able to grab all of my O-town friends’ packets on their behalf.

I love when races are so considerate. πŸ™‚

Who else is racing this weekend? Are you pumped yet?

Packet pick up was followed by Pretzels with mustard.

Some work.

A little more work.

And dinner.

I was on my own for dinner tonight (Derek and his brother are off celebrating his birthday a day early) and decided to have a little fun testing out a new recipe I’ve been meaning to try for a while.

I’ve seen Tortilla Crusted Quiches before, but haven’t made one on my own. I’m sure there’s a legit ‘how to’ recipe out there, but that’s not my style. I basically took the idea and rolled with it.

(only if I had followed a recipe I might have thought to grease the pan before placing the tortilla in it. Umm… if you make this, remember to grease the pan or the tortilla does stick!)

I wanted a veggie-riffic quiche. FInely chopped radishes, corn, asparagus, tomato, and carrot made that possible.

Added to the bottom of the tortilla

I poured an egg mix consisting of 4 eggs, milk, mozzarella cheese, rosemary, fennel, and salt and pepper on top.

IMG_1640.JPG IMG_1641.JPG IMG_1642.JPG IMG_1643.JPG IMG_1644.JPG IMG_1645.JPG

Baked at 375 for 20 minutes.

It was a really light dish. I served half of the quiche with roasted sweet potatoes and ketchup.

The quiche was light and fluffy, I loved how the the tortilla gave it a nice crust. At one point I picked it up and ate it like a slice of pizza.

An Attune bar for dessert.

Someone is turning 27 tomorrow!!!!!! Eekkkkkk!!

1 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 7, 2011 at 10:19 pm

mmm looks like a mexican version of a tortilla espanolla yum!

ohh have some good B day fun! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Body Weight Exercise Strength Workout

2 Katy (The Singing Runner) April 7, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Ahhhh! I can’t wait till this weekend….even though I’m dropping to the 5k (stupid injury)! The shirts look CUTE! Are they tech tees? I can’t remember if they said they would be or not!

Hopefully I will run into you this weekend! πŸ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Chicago Marathon 2011 Training Reflection- Week 2

3 Meghann April 8, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Yes, they are tech tees! I hope to see you this weekend too!

4 River April 7, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Yuum, I’m definitely going to try this recipe! Looks amazing, and pretty healthy.
River recently posted..LOTD – Work Outfit

5 Cate April 7, 2011 at 10:22 pm

That quiche looks quite tasty. I think I need to make that!

I am running the half this weekend too! It will be my second and I am really excited! The Iron Girl sounds like it is going to be a great event!
Maybe I will run into you there! πŸ™‚
Cate recently posted..Final Days of Iron Girl Half Marathon Training

6 Meghann April 8, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Good Luck!!!

7 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 7, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I am LOVING all the colors from the veggies! Beautiful – and yes, quiche can be beautiful! πŸ˜‰

8 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 7, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Ooh the quiche looks fabulous!

I love when races are considerate like that — with multiple pick up locations and allowing you to pick up friend/family’s packets as well.

9 Jenni April 7, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I’m running my first half in St. Louis this weekend! I’m excited but very nervous–especially because I have really slacked on my training plan these last few weeks…eeeeek!

10 michelle April 7, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Have a great race!
michelle recently posted..Know Your Body- Know Your Limits

11 Fit Chick Britt April 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I’m definitely going to have to make this! And you’re right, that bib is too cute.

12 meg @pinkgiggles April 7, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Quiche pizza? Amazing
meg @pinkgiggles recently posted..I LOVE MY JOB!

13 Kacy April 7, 2011 at 10:55 pm

That race sounds awesome! I love the bib!
Kacy recently posted..Rockabye

14 Sana April 7, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Happy early b-day derek!!!

15 Molly April 7, 2011 at 10:58 pm

wow that looks delicious girl! never have I ever thought of that. The tortilla is a great healthy idea as an alternative of a pie shell. Smart :o)

16 sarah (sarah learns) April 7, 2011 at 11:07 pm

wow, i’ve never seen a tortilla quiche….i like that waaaaaayyyy better than making a crust! such a great idea for this lazy girl!
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..spring cleaning

17 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 7, 2011 at 11:07 pm

whoa that is a cool looking recipe!! I am going to have to do this-thanks. Is it your b-day or your man’s tomorrw??

18 Meghann April 8, 2011 at 12:13 pm

It’s Derek’s birthday today πŸ™‚ Mine is in February

19 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 7, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Ooh, I can use corn tortillas and easily make this gluten free. I’ll try to remember to grease the pan. Knowing me – I’ll forget.
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Lemon-Blueberry Dreams

20 Amber April 7, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Dinner looks awesome! I must try this out one night! I wanted to say a big THANK YOU! for picking up the race bibs. You are awesome! I am totally stoked and can’t wait to see your new place! πŸ™‚
Amber recently posted..Not Giving Up

21 Emily April 8, 2011 at 12:09 am

ooohhh, I’m going to have to make that quiche! Looks yummy! The husband is going out of town this weekend, so I definitely smell a tortilla quiche dinner in my kitchen since I’ll be on my own too! πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..Lemon Pasta with Roasted Veggies &amp Sausage

22 Marina April 8, 2011 at 1:09 am

I adore quiches, and this is really an interesting one πŸ™‚
Happy birthday to Derek!!
Marina recently posted..Future Vet Series- Part 2- Food toxicity

23 Kiran April 8, 2011 at 1:13 am

Happy Birthday Derek πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..Age is just a number

24 Maryann (The Balanced Bean) April 8, 2011 at 1:14 am

Dinner looks amazing! Have a great race this weekend!
Maryann (The Balanced Bean) recently posted..A Tribute To Salads

25 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 8, 2011 at 1:28 am

That is a really cool idea!

And it looks really yummy πŸ™‚
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Corn and carrot fritters

26 Amy April 8, 2011 at 1:28 am

Here’s to having a great race this weekend!

27 Hannah @ Healthy Life April 8, 2011 at 2:09 am

Have a great race this weekend! The tortilla quiche looks a great idea.
Hannah @ Healthy Life recently posted..Picnic Lunch For One

28 Khushboo April 8, 2011 at 5:02 am

That looks good! I’m hooked on sweet potato and veggie-loaded fritattas lately!
Khushboo recently posted..France would be proud

29 Little Bookworm April 8, 2011 at 5:59 am

Love the idea of that tortilla quiche. I’ve made a tortilla pizza before but never quiche! Good luck for the race this weekend. πŸ˜€
Little Bookworm recently posted..What To Do When…

30 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East April 8, 2011 at 6:50 am

What a great meal! I love the idea of using a tortilla as the crust!

Good luck with your race!
Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East recently posted..Rice Rolls and Soup

31 Christine @ Burning It Off April 8, 2011 at 7:04 am

Cool recipe. I love quiche and even though the crust is my favourite part, I’d be down to try a lighter version.
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..Cooking for Lazy Days

32 Katherine: Unemployed April 8, 2011 at 7:11 am

MOST intense race preparation items ever
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..G-Unit- Uncle Kracker- Lonestar- Weezer and Charlie Chaplin

33 Lauren April 8, 2011 at 7:22 am

Happy Birthday to Derek!! Yay Aries! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Whirlwind Week

34 Allie April 8, 2011 at 8:02 am

Derek is turning 27! Wow!!
Have fun at the half! I love the race bib as well πŸ™‚
Allie recently posted..Just uploading

35 Amy April 8, 2011 at 8:20 am

Good luck with your half!

Side note: I loathe eggs, but made a tortilla quiche a few weeks ago and LOVED it!
Amy recently posted..The Bondi Band

36 Hope April 8, 2011 at 8:45 am

What a delicious looking quiche! It looks very Mexican inspired and I love Mexican food! I am definitely going to try this recipe! πŸ™‚

Good luck with your race! Happy Birthday Derek!
Hope recently posted..Healthier Chicken Pot Pie…

37 Cait's Plate April 8, 2011 at 8:50 am

I love how creative you are with food. I would never in a million years have thought of that recipe! It looks amazing!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Thursday

38 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 8, 2011 at 9:00 am

Yum! What a tasty looking dinner. Did the veggies stay really crispy? I like mine softer so I might cook them separately on the side.
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..5 Year Surprise!

39 Meghann April 8, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Nope. The were really finely chopped, so they were able to cook and get soft in the quiche.

40 Hilary April 8, 2011 at 9:16 am

Looks beautiful and delicious… What a great idea!
Hilary recently posted..Half and Half

41 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run April 8, 2011 at 9:24 am

I am, I am! I’ll be racing the Iron Girl on Sunday. If you see someone staring at you creepily, that will just be me and my friend Michelle (Crazy Running Legs) being too shy to actually say hello. πŸ™‚
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Three Things Thursday

42 Meghann April 8, 2011 at 12:15 pm

If I see you staring, I’ll come over and personally say hi πŸ™‚

43 Courtney Smith April 8, 2011 at 9:34 am

I’m picking up my race packet tonight. The shirts are so cute!! I’m excited.

44 Theresa @ActiveEggplant April 8, 2011 at 9:50 am

I can’t believe race weekend is already here! I loved the Iron Girl 15k event last year & I’m super excited for the HM on Sunday! Definitely very happy that the Tampa/Clearwater area is staying on their event list!

45 Lucy @ The Sweet Touch April 8, 2011 at 9:51 am

That looks delicious! I love quiche and I love tortillas – best of both worlds! Do you have any kind of time goal for this race? Sounds like a fun one!

46 Emmy April 8, 2011 at 9:57 am

Just got to Clearwater yesterday for the race. Coming from Baltimore I almost died on my run this morning! I hope I make it through on Sunday- how do you do it with the humidity??

47 Meghann April 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm

You run really, really early. That’s why all our races start at 6:00am on most occasions. πŸ™‚

48 Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) April 8, 2011 at 10:14 am

Good luck with your race Saturday! That quiche looks so good. It’s funny, before I went vegan I didn’t really care much for eggs and only ate them maybe twice a month, but now that I’m vegan it’s the one thing I miss! Forget the cheese, I miss eggs! πŸ˜‰

And roasted sweet potatoes? yes please πŸ˜€
Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) recently posted..The Story Behind the Shoes

49 Ashley April 8, 2011 at 10:17 am

That looks really good! Congratulations to Derek! I was supposed to e doing a 5k this weekend but had to drop out. I’m kind of glad I did, they don’t seem very organized, I don’t even know where I was supposed to go!

50 Maryanne April 8, 2011 at 10:39 am

You should sautΓ© the veggies a little bit before next time. Were they still raw?

51 Meghann April 8, 2011 at 11:07 am

Nope. They were really finely chopped, so they were able to cook in the quiche. I thought about sauteeing them first, but didn’t want to dirty another pan. πŸ™‚

52 kate April 8, 2011 at 10:50 am

Ive never had a warm radish! Perhaps I need to add that to my to-do list!
kate recently posted..Why is yoga so expensive

53 Meghann April 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I actually prefer radishes roasted. Try it! It’s good. πŸ™‚

54 Brittney April 8, 2011 at 11:13 am

I like this tortilla quiche idea! Must try!!
Brittney recently posted..Adventures in Kayaking!

55 Ali April 8, 2011 at 11:19 am

Iron Girl is finally doing an event in my part of the country, but I will be on vacation when it is here. I am so disappointed! Those bibs and shirts are so cute. I can’t wait to read about it.
Ali recently posted..Quinoa Two Ways

56 natalie (the sweets life) April 8, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I hope you have fun celebrating Derek’s birthday! Your quiche is a great idea—reminds me of these nachos I made recently: http://www.thesweetslife.com/2011/04/latin-nacho-bowls.html HUGE HIT!!
natalie (the sweets life) recently posted..Peanut Butter Cup Surprise Cookies

57 Taylor (Delish World) April 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Good supper idea! I’ll have to try that one!

I am supposed to have a race this weekend. But if the govt shuts down, our race will be postponed. I live near DC and the race is on a govt. ran road. How frustrating not to know! Good luck for your’s! Love the bibs!
Taylor (Delish World) recently posted..Baseball and Bikes

58 Susan April 8, 2011 at 11:06 pm

The Iron Girl shirts are SO cute! I might have to do a race for the cute shirt! Love the tortilla quiche idea too