Ohana Cafe

by Meghann on April 7, 2011

When heading west (or east!) towards any coast in Florida you will generally find two types of beach towns.

1. The super touristy, built up beaches with lots of crowds, lots of buildings, and lots to do.
  2. The quiet, sleepy coastal towns with lots of houses, limited beaches, and plenty of charm.

Today I met my new friend Amanda at option #2 – an adorable little town outside of Tampa called Ozono, FL. It’s the kind of town where you can walk in the middle of the street and no one will bat an eye, golf carts are the main source of transportation, and everyone welcomes you with a hug.

It’s also home to an adorable vegan/vegetarian/gluten-free friendly organic cafe called Ohana Cafe.

Amanda and her Mom are on vacation from up north and were referred to Ohana by a friend. The place is absolutely adorable. Everything on the menu sounded delicious and the owner literally greets everyone with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I swooned as soon as I walked in the door.

We sat outside and I spent a good 10-15 minutes trying to decide what to order. Everything sounded delicious, but the Popover Special truly caught my eye.

And it continued to catch my eye once it was plated in front of me. πŸ™‚

I’m not sure if I’ve ever had a true popover. I can definitely say I’ve never had a gluten free popover before. It was quite airy and tasty, especially with the macadamia nut sauce on the side.

I cleaned the majority of my plate plus a slice of bacon that came on the side.

We stayed and chatted well after our food was gone, then decided to walk to the water. I picked out a couple of my future beach homes (I’ll just buy the whole street, thankyouverymuch) and also discovered a new running/biking trail I want to visit in the future.

Before heading home we all agreed a smoothie for the road was a must.

The Chocolate Spinach Smoothie with extra blueberries and no banana. πŸ™‚

We said our goodbyes and I decided to explore a little of the coast since I’m never on this side of town.

I drove until I dead ended into a national park.

Which gave me an idea on what to do next time my parents come to town.

1. Take parents + dogs to Ohana Cafe for brunch (they’re doggie friendly)
  2. Take parents to Honeymoon Island with picnic and dogs in tow (also doggie friendly)
  3. Enjoy the day

πŸ™‚

1 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 7, 2011 at 2:31 pm

yumm those popovers look so doughy and delicious! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Body Weight Exercise Strength Workout

2 Callie April 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I’m pretty sure there is a triathlon (or maybe it’s just a race) at Honeymoon Island in the late summer/early fall…I’ll have to look into that for you. πŸ™‚
Callie recently posted..Prince and Princess Party

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 7, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I know for a fact I have never had a popover, but they look amazing!! You girls look so springy and colourful. Sounds like a really fun date! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Lunch date at The Bauer Kitchen

4 Shanna, Like Banana April 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Those eats look divine! I love when I can go to a restaurant and have so many choices. I’ve never had a popover either, but I’m putting it on my list!
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..The day I got attacked…

5 kristy @ kristyruns.com April 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm

You find the BEST cafes! I can’t wait to try this one next time I’m visiting family down there!
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Running in Europe

6 Lindsay April 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Looks yummy!! Wish Indy had good Veggie/Vegan places to eat…guess that just means I need to move πŸ™‚

7 Brittney April 7, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Mmmm, I love popovers! My mom used to make them sometimes when I was little! That place is so cute! Don’t you love Amanda? I just met her recently (in DC), and she’s so sweet and cute πŸ™‚

8 sana April 7, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Yayy I adore Amanda, glad you had a blasttt!

9 Amy April 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm

haha I love your comment about buying the whole street!

You always wear the CUTEST little dresses out and about, I love them!!!
Amy recently posted..Tuesday- Tuesday

10 erica April 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm

i’m from hawaii. that menu board made me smile. πŸ™‚
love the names of the specials.

i want a chocolate spinach smoothie!!
erica recently posted..birthdays- hikes- and whales…oh my!

11 Thomas Ho April 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Ohana is a Hawaiian word…look it up: it will tell you a lot about this place!

12 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 7, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Those popovers looked mouth wateringly good! I can’t believe they were gluten free.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Sweet breakfast tofu

13 Michelle April 7, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Your food looks delicious and makes my lunch look like nothing in comparison!
Michelle recently posted..Know Your Body- Know Your Limits

14 Sarah K April 7, 2011 at 2:53 pm

When I read “I swooned when I walked through the door” it instantly made me think of the musical Rent hahhah. I always connect things to song lyrics (especially musical ones).
Sarah K recently posted..Matchbox Twenty and Earth Day

15 Hope April 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm

When I first read your post title, Ohana. I immediately thought you went to Ohana at the Polynesian Resort in Disney World! Disney on my mind..That cafe looks so adorable! Everything about it is so cute! Plus, the food and smoothie look incredible!

16 Alaina April 7, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I’ve been there! They made me and my friend walk around the restaurant in ridiculous hats and carrying pineapples.
Alaina recently posted..Coconut Almond Chicken and Coconut Lime Rice

17 Hillary April 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm

mmmmm ohana @ Disney is AMAZING! you should check it out!

18 JLee April 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm

My dog’s favorite place in the world is Honeymoon Island! We try to take him at least once or twice a month. You have to try Kelly’s in Dunedin for breakfast. Every day they have a different muffin, french toast, and eggs benedict recipe of the day. So yummy!

19 Meghann April 7, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Thanks for the tip πŸ™‚

20 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 7, 2011 at 2:59 pm

wow- that looks awesome! WHat I wouldn’t give to live on the coast….. your b-fast looks fabulous too. Yumm!

21 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 7, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Ohana Cafe sounds wonderful!

22 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm

That cafe looks cute, and definitely someplace I’d want to visit, but Yowza, those smoothie prices are steep.

23 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 7, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Those popovers look delicious! I remember making popovers in my high school home ec class! They sure weren’t gluten free though.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Welcome to The Runny Egg!

24 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Looks like exploring really paid off! I absolutely love that side of Florida. Have you been to the Bradenton beach? SOOO great. Along with the Siesta Keys? Oh my, I just love it! I could beach it all day.
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Where Art Thou- Sleep

25 Meghann April 7, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Not yet. Today make me want to explore even more in the future though!

26 Dori April 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I never heard of a popover but I would get them just for that macadamia nut sauce!
Dori recently posted..Acupuncture at Exhale Spa

27 Liz April 7, 2011 at 3:50 pm

OMG Glueten Free popovers! I have to try to recreate this, it looks so delicious!!

28 Lucy @ The Sweet TOuch April 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I love a good popover – the trick, keep that oven door closed!!

Also like the sign out in front of the restaurant “Joyfully Open!” Isn’t it amazing what a good atmosphere can do for people?!
Lucy @ The Sweet TOuch recently posted..Blood Orange Basil Olive Oil Cake

29 Jamie@everydaydolce April 7, 2011 at 4:04 pm

That restaurant looks neat! I’ve never had a popover…sounds delicious! πŸ™‚
Jamie@everydaydolce recently posted..Last Weekend

30 Kate April 7, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I think the hug and kiss thing might turn me off a little bit. I don’t like people in my space.

31 Candi April 7, 2011 at 4:46 pm

What a neat little cafe! Definitely going to have to go there sometime!
I’m also going to have to plan a day trip to Honeymoon Island with the BF and the dogs in tow. We moved to Fort Myers a little over a year ago…. and there are so many great places in FL that we haven’t explored yet! I don’t know what we are waiting for!
Candi recently posted..Raspberry Lemonade Chia Seed Pudding

32 Alexa @ Simple Eats April 7, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I love popovers! So great that you’re finding awesome places around you!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Sweet or Salty

33 Charli April 7, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I love how the sign says “Joyfully Open” doesn’t that make you want to run with your arms open?
Charli recently posted..Mama- Mama I got all of them!

34 Allie April 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I love small towns and cute restaurants πŸ™‚ Glad you had a nice day with your friend and had some yummy eats!
Allie recently posted..Just uploading

35 Evan Thomas April 7, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I haven’t made popovers since starting to eat gluten-free. Definitely craving them now.

36 River April 7, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Oooh what was the smoothie like? seems like an interesting combination!
River recently posted..LOTD – Work Outfit

37 Katie April 7, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Oh wow- I live right over by Ozona, yet I’ve never been to the Ohana Cafe – it looks/sounds great! Perhaps I need to venture out there again soon…

And YES! Honeymoon Island is great, but I am biased. We get a FL State Park pass each year so that we can enjoy the beach. It is definitely a bit quieter than the bustling Clearwater, and the dog beach is nice and clean (most owners are really good about picking up after their pups). And, I always get nostalgic when I go there: Justin and I were both walking our dogs one day on the beach when we met…and now we’re married! The dog beach is a happy place…haha.
Katie recently posted..An Old Outfit

38 katie April 7, 2011 at 6:07 pm

that place looks so awesome! Everything i read on the menu pic you had there, sounded amazing!!!! I wish we had places like that here!

Your dress is pretty too! love it!!!

Have a good night!
katie recently posted..Wine Will never be the same

39 Alaina April 7, 2011 at 7:53 pm

That restaurant looks so cute! I cannot wait for the warm weather so that I can eat outside. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Coconut Almond Chicken and Coconut Lime Rice

40 Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. April 7, 2011 at 8:34 pm

What a great find. I’ve never even heard of Ozono. Is it right outside Honeymoon Island?

41 Clare - Never Niche April 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Ohana means family in Hawaiian. πŸ™‚

42 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 7, 2011 at 9:57 pm

That cafe looks great! I love it when places cater to a variety of diets – it makes it so much easier to go there with a group of friends who all eat differently!
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..Baking for the bachelorette

43 BroccoliHut April 7, 2011 at 10:41 pm

What a cute and funky cafe! Love it! I’ve never had a popover either, but I just had a test in one of my classes (experimental foods) that covered ALL about how to make them. Basically, what makes them so airy is their 1:1 liquid to flour ratio. Just in case you care:)

44 rebecca April 7, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Oh man, I feel so Boston and cold to say it, but I would HATE it to be hugged and kissed by the owner upon entering. I can barely stand “can I help you?’s” from clerks. Admittedly, this is my problem.

45 Erin April 7, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I know you mentioned before that you are allergic to bananas. I was wondering if your twin brother is also allergic? It’s so interesting to hear in what ways twins are different and the same!
Erin recently posted..The Liberty Glass

46 Amy April 8, 2011 at 1:29 am

Ah it looks so beautiful there!
Amy recently posted..Travel Thursday- Aruba- One Happy Island

47 Hilary April 8, 2011 at 9:13 am

You look so cute, that cafe looks so cute and your breakfast looks so yummy! I am especially intrigued by the macadamia nut sauce.