Change of Routine

by Meghann on April 7, 2011

Before moving in with Derek I pretty much kept the same routine from the time I moved into my one bedroom apartment until 2.5 years later when I moved out of it.

• 5:30 am – Alarm
  • 5:45 am – Run
  • 7:00 am – Shower
  • 7:30 am – Breakfast
  • 8:00 am – Work
  • 5:00 pm – Return home from work
  • 7:00 pm – Dinner
  • 10:00 pm – Bed

Of course, it changed a little when I became my own boss in January

• 7:00 am – Alarm
  • 7:30 am – Run
  • 8:30 am – Breakfast
  • 7:00 pm – Dinner
  • 10:00 pm – Bed

And then – after living with Derek for only a month – my whole schedule has gone to crap.

• 7:00 am – Alarm
  • 8:00 am – Run (after talking with Derek as he gets ready for the day)
  • 9:30 am – Breakfast
  • 8:00 pm – Dinner (Derek gets home from work really late!)
  • 12:00 am – Bed (Gulp. How did this happen?)

I tried to ignore it. People warned me it would be harder to keep my normal routine while living with a significant other, but I didn’t listen. I was a big girl who went to bed at a decent time and had no problem heading out the door in the morning, surely that wouldn’t change.

Wrong.

The real problem is I want to spend as much time with Derek as possible. (ok, so that really isn’t a problem. 🙂 ) I like talking to him in the morning. I like staying up late and snuggling with him on the couch while watching pointless tv. I like waiting for him to get home from work to prepare dinner. I like all the extra face time I get with him now.

So I don’t leave for my run as early as I’d like to or I’m getting a couple hours less of sleep at night – it’s totally worth it.

Last night was another example. We stayed up late watching recorded new episodes of Extreme Couponing (Obsessed!) and I struggled to get moving once my alarm went off.

Eventually I set up a boot camp outside and did a mismatched routine of jumping jacks, kettlebell, high knees, etc.

I have brunch plans with a friend in Clearwater later this morning, so I had a small breakfast to tide me over until then.

Two mini pieces of pumpernickle toast topped with peanut butter, pumpkin, chocolate chips, and dried apple.

Yum. 🙂

Did your sleeping habits change when you moved in with a significant other? Do you find yourself struggling to get out of bed too?

1 Courtney April 7, 2011 at 8:57 am

How did I miss that you became your own boss? What do you do now? That is so sweet! Eventually, your routine will come back to you. You’ll sacrifice a little time for the things you love: like sunrise AM runs, but when you do see him, it’ll just be even that more special 🙂
Courtney recently posted..BBQ &amp Goaties

2 Katy (The Singing Runner) April 7, 2011 at 8:57 am

I don’t live with a significant other so I don’t really face this problem. However, I know that every time I have stayed with my guy friend at his apartment (we literally sleep as far away as we can from each other in the bed. It’s actually a little hilarious), he has talked me out of going to my first class of the day. :/ That messes up my schedule and daily routine.
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Chicago Marathon 2011 Training Reflection- Week 2

3 Cassie @ Tofu Meets Her Match April 7, 2011 at 8:57 am

My fiance and I have completely opposite sleeping habits! I get up at 6 for work so I’m in bed by 11, whereas he’s up until 3 or 4 working on the computer, cooking, or just watching tv. We only share the bed for about 2 hours a night. I struggle to stay up later on weekends to spend some time with him! I think the excitement of moving in together will wear off after a little bit and you’ll be able to go back to the sleeping patterns that work best for you.
Cassie @ Tofu Meets Her Match recently posted..Nigeria- Part 2- The Markets

4 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 7, 2011 at 8:58 am

mine def did!

at the time I was working as a breakfast line cook and had to wake up at 4 am! but I always tried to hang out in the evenings well that never worked because I would fall asleep at 8! 😛
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Body Weight Exercise Strength Workout

5 Errign April 7, 2011 at 8:58 am

The boyfriend & girlfriend who called friends to help them get a discount on Extreme Couponing last night were insane haha!

My sleeping habits didn’t change, but that was because we were on the same schedule. My eating & work out habits did because he was lazy and ate gross processed food haha

6 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 7, 2011 at 9:01 am

Yes my sleeping habits changed — I used to go to bed every night around 9pm and I’d wake up around 6am. I loved getting that much sleep! Now we don’t get to bed until after 10pm (at the earliest) — I’m used to it now, but it took some time!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Welcome to The Runny Egg!

7 Laura @FoodSnobSTL April 7, 2011 at 9:04 am

Our biggest adjustment was that my husband can’t fall back asleep if i wake up early to work out. So, we had to change our schedule and now I work out after work, which means we eat later, BUT i get to sleep in more because I’m not working out in the a.m.

8 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 7, 2011 at 9:05 am

Right now I’m single, so I make my own schedule – well, apart from what’s required by my job! I get up at about 4:45 each morning and get a workout in, then take my time eating breakfast until I have to leave for work at 8:45. I imagine my routine will probably have to change when I eventually do have a S.O. to live with, but like you said, you really WANT to spend the time with them, so it’s worth it!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Lunch date at The Bauer Kitchen

9 kristy @ kristyruns.com April 7, 2011 at 9:05 am

Yes!!! It’s so easy to stay up super late. We found that if we both get up early for work and get home earlier, we still get good face time and to bed at a decent time. 🙂
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Running in Europe

10 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 7, 2011 at 9:06 am

I kept my routine the same, it’s my husband’s routine that changed once we got married and started living together.

…but so what your routine changed? If it’s working out for you and you are enjoying the way you allocate your time then there’s nothing to worry about, right? The pavement will still be there at 8:00 if you miss your 6:00 run.

11 Freya April 7, 2011 at 9:07 am

LOL you just put me of ever moving in with a boyfriend – I love my routine! 😛
Freya recently posted..Guess Who’s Back

12 Ali @ Ali on the Run April 7, 2011 at 9:07 am

This happened to me when I started living with a boy, too. When I lived alone I was so good about getting to sleep between 10 and 11, then suddenly 12:30 am because a “normal” bedtime. I definitely started struggling in the morning. Give it time, you’ll settle into a happy routine soon!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..A New Beginning

13 Jessie April 7, 2011 at 9:10 am

At first – yes. But I quickly learned I couldn’t stay up as late as my boyfriend! I need to leave for work by 6-630am, so now we spend some quality time together in the evening, and he will often stay up an extra hour or so after I get to sleep. Figure out what works for the both of you! Sleep is VERY important to a healthy life (which I’m sure you’re aware of!) so make sure you get enough! 🙂

14 Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 7, 2011 at 9:10 am

Hey at least you’re your own boss now so you CAN be flexible with your schedule 🙂

Chris and I have been living together for 5 or 6 years and we’re complete opposites- I’m an early bird, he’s a night owl. I want to eat early, he wants to eat late. Sometimes it’s a pain, but mostly we just roll with it.

15 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans April 7, 2011 at 9:13 am

My routine changed a lot and we don’t technically live together. My biggest struggle is eating well when I’m with him because he loves snacks and fast food a little too much and often 🙂
Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans recently posted..Pack- tan- laundrynot necessarily in that order

16 marie [would] April 7, 2011 at 9:16 am

My routine hasn’t changed that much. Actually, it has kind of improved! Before moving in together, I was in grad school, living alone and I had REALLY bad habits, like snacking all night, never actually cooking, going to bed at 2 and then waking up at 5 all week, it was rough!

After moving in together and getting a big girl job, I have a nice normal schedule. No trouble getting up because I have to go to work (except on weekends, and then it is totally a struggle)! and I make dinner when I get home every day. On average, we’re in bed by 9:30! Totally rocking the early to bed, early to rise~
marie [would] recently posted..one foot in front of the other

17 Marina April 7, 2011 at 9:19 am

Well, of course the routine changes, but it all evens out. Sometimes you go later to bed, but I’m sure sometimes Derek will come to bed earlier. And it’s all worth it 🙂
me and my bf are opposites, he likes to sleep late and stay up late, but me, I love my mornings and going to bed earlier. We figured out how to compromise, so he now gets up with me sometimes, and I stay up late. Ah the advantages of living with the love of your love 🙂
Marina recently posted..Future Vet Series- Part 2- Food toxicity

18 Michelle April 7, 2011 at 9:22 am

My sleeping habits are completely out of wack, especially since my husband is in the army. We go to bed before 9pm and are awake by 4am to workout.
Michelle recently posted..Know Your Body- Know Your Limits

19 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 7, 2011 at 9:25 am

Mine didn’t change; His did. Haha.

His schedule was all outta whack before. Now we go to bed early, get up early, work out and eat dinner early too.

He comments regularly about how much better he feels too.
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Lemon-Blueberry Dreams

20 Emily April 7, 2011 at 9:29 am

To be honest, I’ve kept my routine. We’ve lived together for about a year and I still get up at 4:30am to go to the gym Mon-Fri.
I will also add that he travels 60% of the time. So that helps.
Weekends are when we get our QT (quality time) even if we’re under the same roof. He knows how important my “gym time” is and I’d rather hang out with him in the evenings over morning time.
Emily recently posted..“Those look authentic”

21 Emily April 7, 2011 at 9:29 am

oh and might i add…we’re gramps and gram and go to bed around 9pm during the week. hahaha.
Emily recently posted..“Those look authentic”

22 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods April 7, 2011 at 9:31 am

When my fiance and I moved in together my schedule totally changed, but change is good and I adapted. Yay!
Jen @ keepitsimplefoods recently posted..Scenes of an Engagement Party

23 Lucy @ The Sweet TOuch April 7, 2011 at 9:32 am

I think it’s very normal. I’m sure going from living by yourself and working a “9-5” job to living with the boy and being able to create your own schedule will take some time to adjust.

But, it sounds like you are having a fun time and that’s what counts:)
Lucy @ The Sweet TOuch recently posted..Blood Orange Basil Olive Oil Cake

24 Michelle April 7, 2011 at 9:36 am

I have a really hard time going to bed before my husband — and we’ve been living together for more than 10 years! My routine changes all the time – depending on my training schedule, my husband’s school schedule, and my kids (it REALLY changed when they were fresh out of the oven – but now they sleep 12 hours a night, so I have no room to complain there) and it’s definitely something I struggle with. But really, who needs sleep? 😉
Michelle recently posted..Blog Love II

25 Lauren @ Team Giles April 7, 2011 at 9:36 am

Oh girl, I feel ya. When I married my husband, my whole schedule went to crap – fast! I like going to bed by 10pm and he’s a night owl, so he stays up till 3am working. At first I’d stay up with him and then it was torture in the mornings, because I still got up at 7am. I had to finally get back into the routine of going to bed by 10pm. We try hard to make time for each other in the day, but it definitely was an adjustment.

26 Madeline - Greens and Jeans April 7, 2011 at 9:39 am

I don’t live with my boyfriend, but we either sleep at his place or mine together every night, so it’s definitely changed my routine up. The good thing is he wakes up earlier than I would usually, which means I get a lot more accomplished in the morning!
Madeline – Greens and Jeans recently posted..recovery

27 RhodeyGirl April 7, 2011 at 9:40 am

My sleeping habits changed horribly when I moved in with Trig. It took me a few months but I learned that I need to just keep my self discipline and when I want to go to bed I just have to get off the couch and go.

He ALWAYS follows me within 5 minutes, unless he’s working on some big work project.

Try that! Snuggling in bed is way better anyway.

28 Megan April 7, 2011 at 9:43 am

At first, it definitely did. And then it always changed when my husband would start a new job or a new routine. But now, I just have to go to bed when I know that I’ll regret it if I don’t. Haha. So sometimes I sacrifice sleep for time with him, but most of the time, I have to sacrifice some time with him for sleep. He’s a night owl and I just can’t function in the early mornings without my sleep!
Megan recently posted..wordless wednesday

29 Nicole April 7, 2011 at 9:43 am

Ha, I live on my own and can hardly can keep any kind of schedule, I admire any sense of rhythm you have and I think it’s important to be flexible especially when just moving in with a significant other. I am going to try and get better about forming a schedule.

30 Stephanie April 7, 2011 at 9:46 am

When my fiance’ and I moved in together after dating long distance for 3 years, I found my me-time and routine suffering much like you have. I had the exact same mentality of I wanted to spend as much time with him as possible, part of that was that we were so used to being long distance and having limited time together that it was a natural reaction to want to do everything together when we could. I found my workouts, schedule, and me time suffering as I was always wanting to conform to his schedule and what he did.

It took about 6-8 months but I finally got comfortable with the idea of going to bed earlier even when he didn’t, or going to the gym and not getting to chat with him before work in the morning, but I feel like I get in what I need now, and we still see each other every day.

I think some of that might fade the longer you live together, and he might also start adapting more to your schedule to see you more 🙂
Stephanie recently posted..Friday Confessions

31 Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) April 7, 2011 at 9:49 am

I think my schedule kind of stayed the same. The only thing that changed (since I was now living 20 minutes farther from the gym) is that I had to get my workout in after work instead of before. And that didn’t bother me too much. I do tend to stay up later because Jason has homework to do once he gets home from work, so it’s like 9 or 10 when he finishes and we will watch a couple of shows together or play a board game (<–dorks!) 😀

Have fun on your brunch date!
Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) recently posted..The Story Behind the Shoes

32 Jessica April 7, 2011 at 9:49 am

Haha that’s too funny. Mine were really messed up for awhile. Ryan stays up pretty late for the most part because he doesn’t have to get up early for anything right now – may as well enough it, right? I used to stay up really late for all of the ‘face time’ with him too but after I started my new job I just couldn’t do it anymore. Now I’ll usually hang out until 10:30-11 then fall asleep on the couch. He wakes me up when he’s ready to go upstairs. Is it ideal? nooooo but it works for us for now lol
Jessica recently posted..Look Both Ways

33 Kara April 7, 2011 at 9:51 am

My husband used to stay up late but I’ve corrupted him and now he goes to bed at 9pm like me 🙂
Kara recently posted..Congress is deciding my race

34 Lauren April 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

Definitely! I have earlier classes in the morning than my boyfriend, and it’s so hard to get up instead of sleeping in and talking in the morning.
Lauren recently posted..Guest Post

35 pinkflipflops April 7, 2011 at 9:54 am

I actually seem to have better sleeping habits. He NEEDS to be in bed by 11 because of his commute to work and that he likes sleep. I used to stay up until 1-2 or 3 even though I also needed to get up early. So now I tend to go to bed earlier with him.
pinkflipflops recently posted..Bubis Awesome Eats

36 Kelly April 7, 2011 at 9:54 am

I’ve been living with my boyfriend for so long that I didn’t really have a “routine” before him, that I remember at least. He stays up late into the night getting work done and I like to be asleep by 10. That doesn’t always happen, but I try!

37 Amanda April 7, 2011 at 10:00 am

3 years later we have a routine down, but really it isn’t ideal for me. We get up at 5:30, go to work, come home, eat dinner at 7:30 and are in bed by 9:30. We have the whole sleeping thing worked out. We get to bed at a decent time and get up early (even on weekends). The problem with our routine is that I should wake up at 5:00 and work out…but when the bed is super comfy and I know Jon is still in it, I can’t drag my butt out of bed!! It’s really impossible. Jon is very fit. He works outside, doing manual labor 60+ hours a week he doesn’t worry about “traditional” working out. Me on the other hand…my desk job doesn’t cut it, it’s just really hard to change the routine…
Amanda recently posted..Remington 870- 20 Gauge Shotgun

38 Alissa April 7, 2011 at 10:02 am

My sleep schedule hasn’t changed too much, though Mon-Fri I get up an hour earlier than I need to. I kind of like it because I get time to do things around the house before work. My eating schedule is in the trash! My boyfriend started night classes and most nights now we don’t eat until 8:30-9! It is so bad!
Alissa recently posted..Amazing food today!

39 Erin April 7, 2011 at 10:03 am

It makes me happy to know that I’m not the only person who eats dinner at 8PM! But that’s due to my work, commute, and exercise schedule not so much my husband’s.
Erin recently posted..This is the Zits

40 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers April 7, 2011 at 10:08 am

i think what you’re doing is great! i always told my husband that if i ever have the luxury of working from home that i would try to stay on his schedule which is basically the schedule we both created to work for us right now… up at 5:10 a.m., in bed by 9:30 p.m. 🙂
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Not a Sweet

41 Erin April 7, 2011 at 10:17 am

My schedule was never as consistent as yours, but I definitely go to bed earlier and get up earlier when my boyfriend isn’t around. He’s definitely a night owl, but I really enjoy the change most of the time. I think it’s great you’re not worried about it! It’s certainly not a big deal, and I think it can be really refreshing to relax on your routine (it is for me, anyway).

42 Lauren April 7, 2011 at 10:18 am

My life was on such a schedule before I moved in with my boyfriend. When we moved in together (and we had been long-distance too) we spent all the time together. It takes a while, but eventually you will figure out a good schedule, and get back to your normal routine.

43 Amy April 7, 2011 at 10:23 am

We didn’t have too much trouble, but that’s just because it’s always been easy to be on the same schedule. When I was working and he was getting his PhD, I’d get up at 6ish to shower, and then he’d get up about 45 minutes later to have breakfast with me and start his day. And now that he’s working and I’m getting my master’s, it’s the opposite: He gets up at 6, and I get up at 6:30 to make us breakfast and start my day. I like hanging out in the mornings! And we’re both good about getting to sleep between 10 and 10:30 p.m. (on weekdays)…we move our snuggling time to bed instead of on the couch (we’re not huge TV watchers), which helps keep bedtime at a reasonable hour.
Amy recently posted..amymoerkehall- Being a grown-up is hard

44 sarah (sarah learns) April 7, 2011 at 10:27 am

i’ve been hoping that moving in a week & having my fiance join me will motivate me to change up my morning routine – it’s been needing a makeover for a while now!

45 Shanna, Like Banana April 7, 2011 at 10:30 am

My hubby and I are on complete opposite sides of the sleep spectrum schedule. I like to be asleep by 10p and get up at 6a and he likes to go to bed at 1a and get up after 8a. Makes “face time” very difficult.
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..The day I got attacked…

46 Ellie @ The Mommyist April 7, 2011 at 10:33 am

My husband and I stay up too late every night. We have an almost 3 year old and since we can’t leave her home alone and workout on the same nights we have to alternate. I go to yoga some nights, he goes to capoeira the others. If we didn’t stay up late we wouldn’t get to spend any time together on weekdays. It’s a mess and we’re exhausted but at this point we don’t really have another option.
Ellie @ The Mommyist recently posted..Bad News- Good News

47 Theresa @ActiveEggplant April 7, 2011 at 10:38 am

My schedule definitely changed when I moved in with my husband. I think it’s just natural for that to happen! I think after things settle down and you’re more used to living together you’ll develop a new schedule that works just as well as your old one, but still has just as much “me time” as “together time”. At least that’s what happened with us!
Theresa @ActiveEggplant recently posted..The Long Haul

48 Melissa April 7, 2011 at 10:40 am

Everything went a little haywire when my husband and I moved in together. He needs maybe 5 hours of sleep (I need 8 or I don’t function) and is up late AND early and it’s still a little tough on my body even 6 years later. We just do the best we can. I love being with him (AWAKE) so I do sacrifice my schedule because it’s worth it to me and us as a couple.

49 Stephanie @ LiveCookLove April 7, 2011 at 10:40 am

Extreme couponing is crazy. I don’t understand it, but I really want to try it sometime. I just think… go one time to stock up on all your crazy items and then don’t go again until you run out!! But it’s like a game to these people and they just keep going and going! Maybe one day I’ll try it out on a few items, but until then… I’ll just enjoy the show 🙂

50 Amber April 7, 2011 at 10:45 am

I would want to stay up but I would start to fall asleep on him while watching tv. So he would send me to bed. Now a days, if I’m tired I head off to bed. I noticed on the days I get Dave to work out with me, he is ready for bed before me. 🙂
Amber recently posted..Not Giving Up

51 Megan @ Megan Mumbles April 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

Ugh all my fears of moving in with Christian are coming out through you hahah.. The only good thing he is a Doctor and goes into work at 5 AM so MAYBE it will be different.. I am re=thinking my decision hahah
Megan @ Megan Mumbles recently posted..Thankfyl

52 Denisse April 7, 2011 at 11:07 am

Yes. I had the same problem. It took a few months before I reprogramed my body to the new schedule. I also enjoyed the extra face-time with my sweetie. I would just say take advantage of the extra time with him and allow your body to re-adjust to the new schedule.

My current issue with living with my sweetie is food. I have gained weight since moving in together and I partly blame it on self control. Seconds just seems so easy when I am making food for more than one. 🙂
Denisse recently posted..Tofuwhat

53 Heather April 7, 2011 at 11:15 am

I’ve been married for almost 3 years and still struggle with this.

Sometimes I want to go to bed but my husband isn’t even home – so I wait up for him and end up staying up much later then I wanted – which then makes it harder to get up and exercise in the morning…

It is a sacrifice I’m usually willing to make – to see my husband for a little while each day!
Heather recently posted..Better Attitude

54 Emily April 7, 2011 at 11:33 am

so I don’t actually live, live with my bf…but I haven’t spent a night at my house in well over 2 months…so I basically do. My sleeping habits didn’t change much. He’s also an early morning working out person so we both get up at about 5 every day. It actually helps a lot to have someone there holding me accountable. Before the bf, I probably went to be a little bit earlier…but I’m with you, I want as much face time as I can get! So i definitely stay up later.
Emily recently posted..Cherry Blossom 10 Miler Race Report

55 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous April 7, 2011 at 11:37 am

Uh yeah living with my fiance wreaks havoc on my productivity overall. It is hard leaving the bed of a hot, cuddly man in the morning, we have to mutually agree on what to make for dinner most nights, sometimes he wants to go out and do something when I have a workout planned, etc.

It takes time to find a balance. Perhaps there is somewhere in between for the two of you. Maybe going to bed at 11 PM instead of 12 AM? Only getting up to spend time with him in the mornings every other day, etc.

It’s hard! Believe me, I feel ya on all of this. For sure.

56 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 7, 2011 at 11:37 am

PS

as a fellow puppy and PB lover you should check out my PB giveaway-puppy birthday post on my blog! 🙂

57 Sana April 7, 2011 at 11:39 am

I feel like I spend my day just waiting around for someone that has a boy face. I do like doing my own thing, but it just never works out that way!

58 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 7, 2011 at 11:45 am

I’ve never lived with a significant other, so this hasn’t happened to me- but just hanging out with friends really disrupts my schedule! On days I don’t have plans with friends, I can stick to my schedule, but even something simple with friends totally changes my schedule. It’s worth it, though 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

59 Amanda April 7, 2011 at 11:49 am

You’re lucky that even though you have made changes to your sleeping/running habits, you’re self-employed and can be a bit more flexible!! When I lived alone I would sometimes squeeze in a morning workout if I knew I was going to happy hour or doing something at night. Now that I live with my boyfriend (who works til 830 every night), we stay up later to hang out and getting up at 5am to work out feels like torture!! All in all, it’s worth it. I’d be interested to hear if your eating habits have changed, as well!

60 Shannon April 7, 2011 at 11:58 am

Before my boyfriend and I started dating I would go to sleep around 9:30-10:00 because I got up at 5 for morning swim practice. Now that I am not always swimming I have been staying up until 2 in the morning with him. I love my boyfriend and spending time with him makes me the happiest but i wish we could go to sleep earlier
Shannon recently posted..Wedding

61 KatieTX April 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm

My fiance has to be at work at 5am…I usually stay up until at least midnight…guess that will change when we move in together in 2 months! I am going to try to become an early morning workout person so we can spend quality time when I get off work instead of me going to the gym after work until 7pm. Schedule changes just tend to happen when you move in with your S.O.!

62 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I’ve been living with Mike for so long. All through college etc so I don’t even know what my schedule would’ve been like without him! I used to stay up late with my mom when I lived at home and then I lived with him. It would be weird to live by myself, haha.
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Where Art Thou- Sleep

63 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 7, 2011 at 12:02 pm

That looks delicious!! I love buffalo chicken. It’s amazing.
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Where Art Thou- Sleep

64 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 7, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I can totally relate to this. My BF and I don’t live together, but if we ever spend the night at each others’ places my entire schedule for the next day is shot. It’s good because spending time with him makes me happy, but it’s bad because I just can’t accomplish as much!! I feel like it will get better as time goes on…you’re still getting used to your new routine, and like you said, it’s worth it!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..A Long Walk- The More-Fitness Half Marathon

65 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 7, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I go to bed later than I’d like, being married and all. But it IS worth it, for sure!! Nice work on keeping with your workouts, though!

66 emily April 7, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Living with Adam means I don’t get up very early, I waste a lot of time on the couch, and I go to bed way too late (b/c of the facetime reason you stated). Being married makes me less “good” (aka productive) as a person. But being married makes my *whole life* good.
emily recently posted..Scarlet In The Face

67 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Oh gosh, my morning routine just got rocked this week. I love having alone time in the morning, but now that my husband is getting up earlier for work, my entire morning schedules are shot. I’ve been thrown off all week!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..deep thoughts from a shallow blogger GIVEAWAY

68 Runeatrepeat April 7, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I am totally on the same late night page as you right now and just mentioned it on RER! By the time I run and eat breakfast it’s close to 10am lately 🙁 This is NOT going to work in the California summer heat – I need to start running early again asap!
Runeatrepeat recently posted..Bird’s Nest Recipe

69 Laney April 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I pretty much don’t get to the gym in the morning anymore now that I live with my fiancée. It is almost impossible. I also struggle with going to the gym in the evening after work too. I feel like if I don’t get out of work at a certain time, that I can’t go to the gym because he will have to wait for me to get home to eat dinner. I actually haven’t gone to the gym at all this week for this exact reason (I feel gross).

70 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life April 7, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I feel your pain, it was especially hard for me because my fiance keeps completely opposite hours as me! He works nights (he owns a bar) and I work mornings. For a while I tried to stay up late and visit him at work a couple times a week but it ran me down FAST. Now we kind of just keep our own schedules and hang out when we both find ourselves at home, which is usually dinner time until I go to bed basically. Also, since he is used to going to bed at 3-4 in the morning he really can’t go to bed at the same time as me (10) but on nights he doesn’t have to work he lays in bed with me and watches tv until I fall asleep. We also have one night a week that we dedicate to spending time with each other, uninterrupted… Whether that means dinner and a movie or just hanging out at home watching crap tv. It works for us and we both get what we need accomplished. 🙂

I say you wake up early and run like you want (you’ll be back in time to talk to him while he gets ready for work), and then convince Derek to watch tv in bed so you can cuddle while you fall asleep (at a decent hour)…
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Oy Vey!

71 christine April 7, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I think in the beginning it’s hard, but eventually the novelty of living together wears off. I know, this sounds bad, but I think for a lot of couples it does. My husband and I still spend a lot of time together, but there are nights he plays videogames with his friends until 1 am and I read until 11 and fall asleep. It works and we’re able to maintain our own interests and schedules.
christine recently posted..Morsels of Awesomeness

72 Jess@atasteofconfidence April 7, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I don’t live with my boyfriend, but we spend nights together frequently so I can relate- his schedule is a little later, and mine becomes later, too. I don’t like to miss out on anything!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..media schmedia

73 Hilary April 7, 2011 at 12:50 pm

What a delicious-looking mini breakfast. 🙂 I’m single so I have no habits to change…although when I moved back home with my mom (I’m cool I know)…my suppertime habits did change a bit…before I had a constant 6 pm date with dinner and Rachael Ray…now time/company varies a bit.

74 Katherine: Unemployed April 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I totally am a morning person so no one wants to be on my schedule! lol I have a dominating clock I guess…
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..G-Unit- Uncle Kracker- Lonestar- Weezer and Charlie Chaplin

75 Rachel Wilkerson April 7, 2011 at 1:08 pm

YUP. I haven’t even moved in with Eric yet, but the nights I spend there are a similar routine, for the same reason…I love hanging out with him! I’m hoping when I’m living with him full time and I’m not just there as a guest a few nights a week that I’ll be able to be more disciplined about my routine.
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..Things I Can Do One-Handed Part II

76 Ely April 7, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Like you, I moved in with the boyfriend about a month ago, but unlike you, I’m the nightowl and he likes to be in bed by 10ish. I’m trying REALLY hard to go to bed earlier, however, with the new bedtime I somehow feel more tired in the morning than I did going to bed at 12 or 1am… Haha, I’m hoping it just takes time to adjust to the new routine. Because it’s either that or facing the fact that we need a bigger bed to improve our overall sleeping quality (fingers crossed it doesn’t come to that because I’d prefer to spend money on other, prettier, things). Oh the joys of living with a boy. Lol.

77 laura April 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm
78 Hope April 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm

My sleeping habits did change somewhat. I am always going to bed much later than I want to. Part of that is my fault because when we are laying down ready to go to sleep, I always start up a converstation. 🙂 I don’t mind that much though.
Hope recently posted..Healthier Chicken Pot Pie…

79 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair April 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I go to bed earlier than my fiance almost every night. I’m usually in bed around 9:30 – 10:30 PM and he’s usually in bed anywhere from 11:00 PM – 1:00 AM.

I actually kind of enjoy going to bed earlier than him and falling into a deep sleep before he comes to bed 🙂

80 Stacey April 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm

My schedule changed all the time due my signifigant other’s work and schools schedule changes every semester. Just when I get used to a schedule it changes.
Stacey recently posted..New Here

81 Liz April 7, 2011 at 2:16 pm

The Broadway geek in me is rejoicing at your musical choices. <3 Spring Awakening <3 Have you heard the American Idiot cast recording yet? It's ROCKIN'.

82 erica April 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm

YES!!! before living together i’d eat an early dinner, then sleep really early…but after moving in together, i (like you) try to wait for him to eat dinner together, which means dinner as late as 9pm and i don’t get to bed till 1130p-midnight.

i feel ya!!
erica recently posted..birthdays- hikes- and whales…oh my!

83 Jess April 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Since living together we’ve never had a problem with getting to bed at a decent hour…but in the morning when the alarms goes off we tend to take too much time pressing snooze so we can snuggle rather than getting up! I guess I shouldn’t complain about getting extra cuddle-time in though 🙂
Jess recently posted..Sprints

84 Halley (Blunder Construction) April 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I can’t get out of bed for the life of me. I could blame it on my boyfriend, but he gets up like a champ.
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..Guts!

85 Tara Marie April 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I just moved in with my boyfriend (with about a week of notice from decision to actual move-in). And I am currently unemployed and the day keeps getting away from me. He wakes up at 5:30 am for work. He has no problem going to bed before me which is fine. When I used to crash at his apartment before we got this one together I hated that because I felt me staying up on the computer and watching TV would intefere with his sleep. Now I can hang out in the living room and do my things.
We have been in the apartment for just over a week so this coming week will be routine setting time.
It sounds like you are getting settled in nicely though! And don’t worry all the mixed-up schedule feeling will slowly go away.
Tara Marie recently posted..A Quick Update and a New Home!!!

86 River April 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Haha, definite changes there!

I really like apple (one of my favourite fruits), but for some reason I just cant eat dried apple!
River recently posted..LOTD – Work Outfit

87 jenny April 7, 2011 at 10:17 pm

i was just wondering, after looking at your posh schedule, if derek ever gets resentful that you don’t really work a JOB job and he has to. i mean, i know you’re “self employed” like other bloggers but getting up late, going to yoga, meeting up with friends, running errands and spending time preparing creative meals is what most of us call the weekend. i guess one of the reasons i used to like your blog so much was because you used to live a real life with real pressures of job responsibilities just like most of us who have financial responsibilities (such as rent).

88 Liz April 7, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Someone sounds jealous.

I’m sure all of the self-employed people will be thrilled to know that “Jenny” thinks they don’t have REAL jobs and don’t pay rent (?).

89 Amy April 9, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I’m with Liz on this one. I am pretty sure that obviously bloggers (who use their blogs for an income as well) also have financial responsibilities. You don’t have to have a “real” job (office etc) to be responsible (financially and otherwise). Just my two cents blah blah blah =)
Amy recently posted..It’s like a holiday…

90 Kacy April 8, 2011 at 9:48 am

I’ve never lived with a significant other, but my sleeping habits have always changed even just entering into a new relationship. I usually get annoyed and dump the guy, but someday I’m sure there will be a guy that’s worth losing sleep over 😉

91 Kristen April 8, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I guess this makes me a little selfish, but I am a very routine person, so I think he has adapted more to my routine that I have to his. I am a morning person – I like getting up early + getting a workout in while he is still sleeping. By the time he wakes up, it’s time for breakfast so we eat together. Then, I get ready for bed around 10, and he comes to bed with me, but most nights he stays up on his computer in bed until 11 or 12 while I sleep. It works and we still spend time together, but are able to do our own thing still.
Kristen recently posted..my pregnancy secret

92 Alison April 9, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Yeah, I have the same “how did this happen” thing happen, except my current bedtime is around 2am. And I have a normal 9-5 (really 6 or 7) job, so mornings are totally miserable for me.

I actually think things might improve for me a bit if I lived with an S.O. – I might feel more compelled to get to bed at a reasonable time (and less interested in watching Seinfeld reruns) with someone else around.

Working on a reasonable bed time is definitely a goal for me…maybe I’ll figure it out this year!
Alison recently posted..See ya real soon