Buffalo Chicken Calzone

by Meghann on April 6, 2011

Last Thursday Derek ordered a Buffalo Chicken Calzone from Mellow Mushroom that had my mouth watering.

Looks great, right?

It was so good, I was inspired to create my own version at home for dinner tonight.

Ok, so it’s not 100% the same thing, but I thought it came out pretty good. πŸ™‚

I started with some organic chicken tenders

that I coated in buffalo sauce and quickly cooked on the stove top.

While that was cooking I chopped up some broccoli and tomatoes to give the calzone a little veggie love. I would have done red onions too, but we were out.

The homemade dough came from the recipe found on the back of the yeast package.

I divided the dough in half and rolled was half on the counter top with a rolling pin.

Pile one end high with tomato, chicken, broccoli, blue cheese, mozzarella, and buffalo sauce.

Fold and bake.

I marked mine with some broccoli on top. Mine had less cheese and chicken and more veggies and sauce. πŸ™‚

They baked at 425 for 15 minutes

Ta da!

Love that cross section shot. It showcases a crusty crust and the ooey, gooey insides beautifully.

Calzones need a good dipping sauce.

The Buffalo Chicken Calzone Derek had at Mellow Mushroom came with a blue cheese dip that worked really well with. However, we were out of blue cheese and I love pasta sauce. Instead of going the white & creamy route I decided to combine the buffalo sauce with the pasta sauce for a little spice and flavor.

IMG_1611.jpg

mmmmmm…..

IMG_1613.jpg

Again, it wasn’t exactly the same, but I loved my homemade version. It was easy, tasty, and a tad more figure friendly. πŸ˜‰

For dessert I heated up a Chocolate VitaTop with Peanut Butter Sauce and Strawberries.

Thanks again for all the song suggestions this morning.

It was great inspiration for creating a playlist for the half this weekend.

Screen shot 2011-04-06 at 9.17.18 PM.png Screen shot 2011-04-06 at 9.17.57 PM.png

What do you think? Could you finish strong listening to this set?

1 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 6, 2011 at 9:21 pm

oh my goodness!

you read my mind with that recipe, super yum! πŸ™‚

2 Kristy @ KristyRuns April 6, 2011 at 9:23 pm

You have some major calzone-making skillz! Looks great! I’m kind of inspired to make my own sometime! πŸ™‚
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Running in Europe

3 The Teenage Taste April 6, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Buffalo chicken anything is a winner in my book! I love how you added some veggies and used a whole wheat dough to amp up the nutrition.

4 Jessica April 6, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Yum! I might try that this weekend with some tempeh instead of chicken… they look amazing!!

5 Kacy April 6, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I love anything with buffalo flavor, so that sounds woonderful!
Kacy recently posted..BIG talk

6 Evan Thomas April 6, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I was JUST singing Someone Like You by Adele as I read this. Well, that’s probably not saying much because I’ve been singing it all week. But it felt like a coincidence at the time.

7 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 6, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Great playlist — although I’d have Lady Gaga in there somewhere!

Your calzone looks delicious — I’ve never tried making those before!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Welcome to The Runny Egg!

8 River April 6, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Yum, that looks delicious! Well done on recreating it πŸ™‚
River recently posted..LOTD – Work Outfit

9 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 6, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Your homemade calzone looks so yummy! I love making calzones, haven’t made any in awhile. Now I want to! Hehe
J3nn (Jenn’s Menu and Lifestyle Blog) recently posted..Organic AeroGardening and Shopping at Hannaford

10 Marissa April 6, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Mmmmm I love buffalo chicken! Looks like you’ve given me a new dinner idea! Thanks!!!
Marissa recently posted..Park Fun

11 Amy April 6, 2011 at 9:40 pm

That looks so good! I love that you are always recreating meals you eat out! It is pretty inspiring…
Amy recently posted..Random hump day musings…

12 Hilary April 6, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Looks YUMMY! I love homemade pizza and calzones. πŸ™‚
Hilary recently posted..Break out the Tye-dye

13 Candi April 6, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Yum! Definitely adding this buffalo chicken calzone to my list of ‘to make’ dinners. PS: I always ‘mark’ my veggie-filled entrees, too! LOL!
Candi recently posted..Raspberry Lemonade Chia Seed Pudding

14 Sarah April 6, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Lucky Derek tonight!

15 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 6, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Your calzone looks better than the one at the restaurant!

And looks much healthier too πŸ™‚
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Bibimbap

16 Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) April 6, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Great list! I love Cee-Lo’s new song πŸ™‚ And “Marry You” by Glee is such a happy song! It’s been in my head for days!!
I think I lean more towards kick-ass rock songs when running, but rap and pop music when I’m weight lifting.

Oh. yum. Calzones are awesome! I forgot how easy of a meal they make! Must make them soon, thanks for the reminder πŸ˜‰
Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) recently posted..The Story Behind the Shoes

17 Jen April 6, 2011 at 9:56 pm

This is in reference to the post you wrote about moving in together. How do you divide up the cleaning duties? And what about things like grocery shopping?

I’m struggling with the typical division of labor stuff πŸ˜‰

18 Meghann April 7, 2011 at 7:22 am

we’re struggling with dividing up the cleaning duties too

19 Molly April 6, 2011 at 9:59 pm

You should also do Adele – Rolling in the Deep and Adele – Rumor Has It. Awesome songs to run to!

20 Jess@atasteofconfidence April 6, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I starred this recipe. My boyfriend LOVES buffalo chicken and I am always looking for a healthier alternative πŸ™‚
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..media schmedia

21 Vikki April 6, 2011 at 10:06 pm

You have made up some recipes that made me wonder about your sanity and/or taste buds, but that looks absolutely amazing.

I didn’t respond on twitter, but I love to run to Sabotage by the Beastie Boys. That is always a good playlist addition.

22 Bridget April 6, 2011 at 10:32 pm

That playlist is actually really similar to mine right now! My only suggested add is “I like it” by Enrique Iglesias. Best running song!

23 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 6, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Mm! There’s a calzone place in Indiana called Love Shack that I would go to when visiting my sister. I ALWAYS got the buffalo chicken one because they served it with blue cheese!

24 Fit Chick Britt April 6, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I keep meaning to make calzones since you posted one a few weeks ago. Looks like a great playlist. I love running to Kesha and Taylor Swift!
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..30-Minute Meal Monday- Warm Tortellini Salad

25 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 6, 2011 at 11:39 pm

love the calzone idea!!!

26 Alaina April 7, 2011 at 12:01 am

That looks so delicious!!

I like the playlist. I have “Love Drunk” and “Good Girls Go Bad” on my list too. They’re great to listen to while running. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Coconut Almond Chicken and Coconut Lime Rice

27 Julia April 7, 2011 at 12:03 am

I love calzones – I may even like them…more than pizza. It’s a close call.
I want to try this with tempeh for me and chicken for the husband, although he would tell me its not pizza/calzone, because for him pizza is tomato sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni or sausage – not chicken. He always makes fun of me for my love of BBQ pizza πŸ™‚

28 Hannah @ Healthy Whip April 7, 2011 at 1:50 am

They look great, I love trying to recreate restaurant meals at home!
Hannah @ Healthy Whip recently posted..Cat Judgement

29 Lorin April 7, 2011 at 2:47 am

That looks like a good list to me! I love Sweet Disposition too, I would definitely add that.

30 Kayla April 7, 2011 at 3:56 am

I am loving “All of the Lights” right now as well! Such a great workout song for me.
Those strawberries look delish!
Kayla recently posted..the seasons are changing

31 khushboo April 7, 2011 at 4:51 am

Errr do you deliver? If so, I’d also like a serving of dessert pls. You’re meal looks frickin delicious!

32 Christine @ Burning It Off April 7, 2011 at 6:18 am

I don’t know if “The Lazy Song” belongs on a half marathon playlist but the rest of the songs look good πŸ˜‰ And your home made calzone looks much more appetizing than the restaurant one.
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..Mindless snacking… the healthy way

33 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes April 7, 2011 at 6:43 am

Your Calzone looks amazingly delicious!

34 Lauren April 7, 2011 at 7:04 am

I love recreating unhealthy dishes that I order at restaurants.

That playlist sounds great! I’m not sure if you already have it (I didn’t notice) but in my 1/2 this past weekend, I had “The Dog Day’s” By Florence and the Machines and it was an EXCELLENT song to throw in towards the end. SO motivating.
Lauren recently posted..Whirlwind Week

35 Charli Sanders April 7, 2011 at 7:45 am

I love the calzone, I make homemade pizza a lot for my boys. They are a great way to use leftovers and you don’t feel as guilty as you would if you ordered a pizza. What I really like is your playlist, you have such a variety. The best part is all that Glee music! Do you sing when you run? I don’t think I could have that much Glee and run quietly, you would hear me coming from miles away as I was singing…..”Raise your glass!”

36 Hope April 7, 2011 at 8:22 am

That calzone looks amazing! I love buffalo chicken! Love the star plate! Where did you get it?! I love funky looking plates! πŸ™‚

Your playlist is awesome! So many good songs!
Hope recently posted..Healthier Chicken Pot Pie…

37 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun April 7, 2011 at 8:31 am

YUM thinking on that calzone. I want one now.

And I love the new Glee original songs…especially the Loser Like Me one.

38 Lauren @ Team Giles April 7, 2011 at 9:37 am

You seriously inspired me last time to get ingredients to make calzones!! I haven’t made them yet, but I think we’re going to try it out this weekend. Can’t wait! Looks so good!
Lauren @ Team Giles recently posted..Get it Pass it

39 Lauren C. @ FocusedToBeFit April 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Holy yum! I need to make my own calzones very soon!!!
Lauren C. @ FocusedToBeFit recently posted..Super Snacker

40 Shannon April 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm

That is an awesome playlist!
Shannon recently posted..Wedding

41 Katherine: Unemployed April 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm

36 songs! I don’t know if I could make it through them all
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..G-Unit- Uncle Kracker- Lonestar- Weezer and Charlie Chaplin

42 Stacey April 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I am obsessed with those star shaped plates!!!! were did you get them? I love everything stars.
Stacey recently posted..New Here

43 Meghann April 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm

It was a Christmas gift. I think from Kohls? Circa 2008

44 emily April 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm

hi meghann,
i missed commenting on your music post, but i thought i’d throw in my two cents a day late. do you ever listen to mash-ups? groups like super mash brothers, girl talk, etc.? they’re great because a lot of times you’ll get the heavy beat of a rap song, but with the more upbeat lyrics of pop. i love running to that kind of music because they’ll be like, 4 songs chopped up into one song and i get bored SUPER easily. my favorite one is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v9WJm2Gd-E (some of them can be a little vulgar, but i don’t think this one is).

45 Lauren @chigallauren April 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm

My bf lovessss anything involving buffalo sauce, I think I’m going to have to give your recipe a whirl at casa de chi gal!
Lauren @chigallauren recently posted..Sweet and Savory