Passport to Prana

by Meghann on April 5, 2011

Have you ever heard of Passport to Prana?

My friend Melissa had introduced me to it when I first moved to Tampa last month. It’s a cool pass, where – for $30 – you can enjoy a single class at all the participating yoga studios in the area.

As there are 25 participating studios in the Tampa Bay area, each class comes to just over a dollar a piece – assuming I attend a class at each each studio before the September 30th cut off. Sounds like a deal to me. πŸ™‚

It also sounded like a great pressure free way to try out all studios before deciding on a favorite.

I took the card out for it’s first test run at the Lotus Pond Yoga Studio.

I almost had to do a double take when I pulled in. The Lotus Pond Yoga Studio is basically a big, beautiful log cabin located in the middle of a residential neighborhood, behind a lake.

It was so homey and welcoming. My first impression was a good one.

Inside the studio was even more gorgeous. The room was so rustic and peaceful, I felt like I was on vacation practicing yoga, not just down the street.

I took the 6:00pm Power Hour class and even though it was no Orlando Power Yoga, it was still a great class. The instructor was kind and welcoming and the class had a wonderful flow to it. I really got a good stretch, which was what my body needed.

If I ever need another nice, relaxing yoga practice, I’ll be sure to return to Lotus Pond. I also plan to visit it’s sister studio – Lotus Room – in the near future. πŸ™‚

Before class I had the brilliant idea to make a Vitatop Muffin/ Jelly/ Almond snack.

I basically just smeared a Vitatop Muffin (BOGO at Publix until Friday!) with jelly and topped it with almonds. It was sweet an crunchy with a protein kick to it.

Dinner wasn’t very pretty, but it was a pretty all american classic meal.

Pork Chops were on sale at Publix this weekend and when I asked Derek if he preferred pork chops with apple or pork chops with honey mustard, he picked honey mustard.

I made a quick marinade of honey mustard, apple cider vinegar, ginger, garlic, and olive oil, then coated the pork chops with the mix and let it sit for 30 minutes.

I wanted to give the pork chops a nice crust, but we are out of bread crumbs. I figured wheat bran would do the trick.

A quick dip and the pork chops went straight in the frying pan.

IMG_1448.JPG IMG_1449.JPG

About 10 minutes on each side on high.

Not pretty by any means, but they were tasty.

With the pork chops I prepared corn on the cob in the oven.

Which I shaved because eating actual corn on the cob isn’t as fun as it used to be. πŸ™‚

And okra that Derek chopped and I pan fried with a little olive oil and Adobo seasoning mix.

Piece of pumpernickel toast to complete it.

For dessert I had a serving of coffee ice cream with a little granola.

Derek and I are currently watching 127 Hours. Honestly, it’s not as good as I was expecting. It makes me a little sleepy.

Good Night!

1 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 5, 2011 at 10:10 pm

ohh I wish we had a yoga arrangement like that here…

the pork chops look delish! πŸ™‚

2 Ashley April 5, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Do they have that type of deal in any other big cities? Say Chicago?
Ashley recently posted..Boot Camp Instructor Training

3 Katy (The Singing Runner) April 5, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Ah! I forgot to get the Vitatop’s when I was at Publix today! Must go back and take advantage of the BOGO deal!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Chicago Marathon 2011 Training Reflection- Week 2

4 Dee @ Confessions of a Happy Girl April 5, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I’ve been back in the Tampa Bay area for a few months and I’ve barely tried out any of the yoga studios. Sometimes I’ll do sunrise yoga on the beach with friends from my open water swim group but its not the same as having a “home” studio. Myabe I’ll get a prana pass to try out some new studios.

P.s. The vitatop sale ends tomorrow (weds.) not friday πŸ™
Dee @ Confessions of a Happy Girl recently posted..Creamy Green-y Coconutty Dreamy

5 Ali @ Ali Runs April 5, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I love how the yoga studio looks like a cabin! Very cute πŸ™‚ What a great deal for yoga–it’s nice that you will be able to try so many different studios!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Marathon Training Plan and 98!

6 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 5, 2011 at 10:30 pm

That yoga studio looks so serene!

I hope you have found the yoga studio that is just the right fit.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Patio dining

7 Kati April 5, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Yoga looks like fun. I am super interested in the pork chop though. I never thought about rubbing a little honey mustard on it and then dipping it in bran/flax breading…genius!

8 Kaitlin April 5, 2011 at 10:33 pm

what a beautiful studio!!
Kaitlin recently posted..Spring-Summer Race Plans

9 Lynne April 5, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I’m a big fan of the Lotus Pond. That was the studio I went to when I used to live in Tampa.

10 Sana April 5, 2011 at 10:38 pm

That log cabin look awesomeee πŸ™‚

11 Sarah K April 5, 2011 at 10:40 pm

That yoga studio looks very relaxing and beautiful. Do you always eat dessert? Coffee ice cream sounds so good right now
Sarah K recently posted..Matchbox Twenty and Earth Day

12 Kacy April 5, 2011 at 10:51 pm

That’s so cool! I wish OKC did something like that. Trying new studios can be kind of nerve wracking but that would be fun!
Kacy recently posted..BIG talk

13 Dori April 5, 2011 at 10:54 pm

That yoga studio looks gorgeous!! Also — you don’t drink coffee but you eat coffee ice cream! Fascinating.
Dori recently posted..Acupuncture at Exhale Spa

14 Meghann April 6, 2011 at 7:30 am

I know, I’m an oddball πŸ™‚

15 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 5, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I heard the book is so much better than the movie – but I still feel like I need to see the movie since it was nominated for an Oscar!

16 Meghann April 6, 2011 at 7:31 am

I can understand where the book would be better because you get the first person account and actually hear what’s going on with his head. The movie tried to convey those thoughts in there weird premonitions, but I really didn’t get it.

17 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 5, 2011 at 11:53 pm

That yoga studio looks amazing!! I want in too πŸ™‚

18 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 6, 2011 at 12:30 am

That’s such a good idea for a Vitatop! I am hoping to score some at Costco tomorrow, so I will try it πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

19 Emma (Namaste Everyday) April 6, 2011 at 12:50 am

I wish they had that offer near me! Except there aren’t nearly as many yoga studios around. Take advantage of it, girl! That’s so cool!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..CinnaBon Craving Conquered!

20 Marina April 6, 2011 at 12:53 am

Yoga studio really looks peaceful, perfect place for some relaxing yoga πŸ™‚ Coffee ice-cream is one of my favorite flavors, but it’s so hard to find!
Marina recently posted..Future Vet Series- Part 2- Food toxicity

21 Christine April 6, 2011 at 1:08 am

I liked 127 hours- the end will wake you up! It might give you some nightmares too.
Christine recently posted..Morsels of Awesomeness

22 Meghann April 6, 2011 at 7:34 am

I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it was.

23 Jamie@everydaydolce April 6, 2011 at 1:36 am

Love the vitatop topped with jam and almonds, great combo! That yoga studio looks wonderful!

24 Hannah @ Healthy Whip April 6, 2011 at 2:00 am

We have zero yoga studios in my town! I would LOVE to try something like that πŸ™‚
Hannah @ Healthy Whip recently posted..Cat Judgement

25 Jumanah (Healthy Living in the Middle East) April 6, 2011 at 5:11 am

I love pork chops! Classic, delicious meal! I’ve never tried marinating in honey mustard- must try that!
Jumanah (Healthy Living in the Middle East) recently posted..Fruit and Veggies

26 Rebecca April 6, 2011 at 6:41 am

i loved my passport to prana that i had for the past 9 months, it is sooo worth the $30, especially in NYC where they offer classes at exhale spa (core fusion) and all the bikram studios, which normally run you around $15-20 each!! definitely going to buy it again this year!

27 katie April 6, 2011 at 6:46 am

I have never head okra, I think I have always been to scared of it, lol!

The yoga place looks so cool, very peaceful ; )
katie recently posted..Wine Will never be the same

28 Katherine: Unemployed April 6, 2011 at 7:04 am

love that hodgs mill product
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Hestia

29 Christine @ Burning It Off April 6, 2011 at 7:22 am

Sometimes the least photogenic foods are the best tasting!

I don’t think I could deal with watching 127 Hours… I’m too squeamish, even hearing about what happens to him grosses me out lol.
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..Mindless snacking… the healthy way

30 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 6, 2011 at 7:51 am

I’m hoping to watch 127 hours this weekend — but part of me wants to read the book first instead of watching the movie…ok I guess I still need to think about that!

I love your dinner — breaded pork chops are so good!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Welcome to The Runny Egg!

31 Amy April 6, 2011 at 7:52 am

Wow, what a great deal! I wish we had something like that here but my town (Charlottesville VA) wouldn’t have enough yoga studios to support it. Sigh.

127 Hours sounds intriguing – I hope the end improved upon the beginning for you!
Amy recently posted..consequences

32 Beth @ DiningAndDishing April 6, 2011 at 7:56 am

That passport is an AMAZING deal! I love yoga but don’t practice as often as I’d like because of the high cost. Wish something like that would come to DC :).
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..Cleveland Cooking

33 Hope April 6, 2011 at 8:27 am

That yoga deal is amazing! I’ve never tried yoga before except on the Wii Fit. Does that count? Haha. I really would be interested to see what it’s all about. πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Healthier Chicken Pot Pie…

34 Cait's Plate April 6, 2011 at 8:30 am

Just to add to the list of things I’m so jealous of you for…haha. I recently injured my back and haven’t been able to practice yoga and I miss it so much.

35 Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy April 6, 2011 at 8:44 am

that yoga place looks so cool!

I wish vitatops were BOGO! They are neverrrr on sale near me
Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy recently posted..Luna Bar- Chocolate Dipped Coconut

36 Mimi April 6, 2011 at 8:55 am

What a great idea! I SO wish my town had something like that, but I don’t think it would go over as well, considering we probably only have a handful of studios.
Mimi recently posted..Oh- special day

37 Liz April 6, 2011 at 10:47 am

Passport to Prana is awesome! I got exposed to some really awesome studios that way!
Liz recently posted..Project 365- Week 13 Fo Realz

38 Shah'ada April 6, 2011 at 11:01 am

I’m sad you didn’t love 127 hours!!! It was life changingly awesome for me . . . so intense, and Franco/Boyle combo was hardcore. So amazingly brave!!!

39 Faith @ lovelyascharged April 6, 2011 at 11:47 am

That pass sounds awesome! I totally wish Orlando had one!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..SautΓ©ed Dandelion Greens with Sweet Onions and Sherry

40 Pam April 6, 2011 at 3:14 pm

That yoga studio looks so cool! I love places that make me feel like I’m on vacation on a Tuesday πŸ™‚
Pam recently posted..Now That’s More Like It!

41 Kath April 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm

That passport is an amazing idea!!
Kath recently posted..One Thing 2 Another

42 BetsyM April 7, 2011 at 11:53 am

Thanks so much for sharing Passport to Prana! There is one in Chicago, and I am definitely going to check it out! Also shared it with my sister who is in Seattle.