Happy Mov-iversary!

by Meghann on April 5, 2011

One month ago today Derek and I officially moved in together! πŸ™‚

I cleaned out my little apartment, packed up my Dad’s trailer, and headed to Tampa without looking back.

Ok, that’s a lied. I looked back. In fact, I returned to Orlando the following week and the week after that and the week after that for work stuff. But, that’s neither here or there. The drive is easy and worth it if it means I get to spend the remaining hours of the week with Derek. πŸ™‚

260142480.jpg

(and Maddie)

Living with Derek has been an adventure. They say you truly don’t know someone until you live with them and I’m starting to believe that. I’ve known Derek for 6 years and every day I swear I learn something new about him and us.

Like the fact we fold our towels two separate ways.

Or have our own way of loading the dishwasher.

Or how I have a habit of leaving every light on in the house because I like it to be bright and Derek leaves all the lights out because he can sit in the dark for hours without a care in the world.

We have a rule. If one of us has a pet peeve, we make the other person aware as to try and not step on any toes. It gets a bit challenging though when the pet peeves conflict (like flipping the shower thingy on or off after shower), but we’re surviving. πŸ™‚

Here’s to another month of adventures!

Love ya babe! πŸ™‚

This morning brought Yoga by candle light to a whole other meaning.

The power went out during the middle of a Jillian Micheals DVD (30 Day Shred), so I did some impromptu yoga moves waiting for it to come back on. It was fun to sort of event my own flow. It made me want to seek out another yoga studio to test out this afternoon. πŸ™‚

These bad storms really need to take a hike. It’s too early in the year for this much rain!

I made a big bowl of Cannoli Cereal to ease my frustration with the weather.

Cannoli Cereal is one of my favorite discoveries. I mix up a batch of cannoli filling (ricotta cheese, honey, strawberries, and chocolate chips) and add it to a bowl of my favorite cereal mix (granola works best, but I used Kashi Go Lean Crisp and Kashi Honey Sunshine this morning).

It’s like eating dessert for breakfast. The perfect meal for a day that’s as sad and gloomy as this one.

I hope the sun is shining where you are!

1 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 5, 2011 at 10:03 am

That pic of your bf and pup is adorable! so glad that the move has gone so well! πŸ™‚

2 Dori April 5, 2011 at 10:04 am

That picture of Derek and Maddie is the best picture ever! I love how she is laying with her head on the other pillow like a person. You should frame that one.

I like darkness and I always turn off every light as soon as I leave a room, even if I am going back into that room a minute later.
Dori recently posted..Acupuncture at Exhale Spa

3 kristy @ kristyruns.com April 5, 2011 at 10:04 am

That month went by fast!!! P.S. That breakfast looks delish!!!
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Vegan No More

4 Kaitlin April 5, 2011 at 10:05 am

Cute! I’m sure you’ll have many more great times together. It is funny how the pet peeves really start to add up! My boyfriend never, EVER washes pans after dinner, just lets them sit for days! Gross.
Kaitlin recently posted..Another Great Weekend

5 Freya April 5, 2011 at 10:06 am

One month already!? Crikey that’s gone fast!!
Freya recently posted..I Have A Problem

6 Ali @ Ali Runs April 5, 2011 at 10:07 am

Happy Mov-iversary! πŸ™‚ I love that you and Derek are so happy! Here’s to many more months (years) together πŸ˜‰
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Marathon Training Plan and 98!

7 Evan Thomas April 5, 2011 at 10:07 am

The real question is do you both like your toilet paper roll hanging the same direction or is one a fronter and the other a backer?

8 Meghann April 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm

haha Me both like the paper rolling on top. πŸ™‚

9 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 5, 2011 at 10:10 am

I can’t believe it has been a month already! Seems like it wasn’t too long ago that you were eating strange fridge/pantry food so you didn’t have to move it all!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Welcome to The Runny Egg!

10 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 5, 2011 at 10:11 am

No sunshine for us here today either. I LOVE the photo of Derek and Maddie sleeping – SO cute!!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Lunch date at The Bauer Kitchen

11 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life April 5, 2011 at 10:13 am

So true–I’m still learning things about my husband after 4 years of marriage! It’s very hard to not let the little things become big things…
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..Things I Love Today

12 Christina April 5, 2011 at 10:15 am

Ha! My grandma told me not to marry anyone until we lived together for at least a year. Life is totally different under the same roof! Glad you guys are working things out though! Sometimes it gets hard but nobody ever said a happy relationship was always peaches and cream πŸ˜‰

13 michelle April 5, 2011 at 10:18 am

It’s so that you learn new things everyday. My husband and I have been living together since 6mo after we met and we are still discovering new things
michelle recently posted..Flashback Friday – Korea

14 Fit Chick Britt April 5, 2011 at 10:19 am

Yoga by candlelight sounds awesome! You and Derek are too cute. Here’s hoping for many more mov-iversarys!

15 Nina @ Nina's Nibbles April 5, 2011 at 10:19 am

My husband and I do all those things! He folds his towel differently (and I always have to fix it), always loads the dishwasher differently and could sit in the dark all day/night. How crazy! It’s nice though to have that extra set of hands to clean and do the dishes πŸ™‚

16 Tara Marie April 5, 2011 at 10:24 am

Congrats!!! I just moved in with my boyfriend a week ago (we decided to move in 2 weeks ago-bad situation made for fast decision).

You are sooo true about the pet peeves thing though!! I have some that the boyfriend does not agree with at all. But we are having a good time navigating through them together!

Congrats again and many hopes for many more months and years together!!

17 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 5, 2011 at 10:25 am

I NEED to tell my BF about the cannoli filling thing. He would die, cannolis are his favorite dessert!!

I think it’s different when it’s siblings, but my brother and I ALWAYS fought over the shower flip thing growing up. I’d turn it off, he left it on…
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..A Long Walk- The More-Fitness Half Marathon

18 Ashley April 5, 2011 at 10:26 am

The first time I saw my boyfriend load the dishwasher he put the plats on top and the glasses on the bottom. He now knows the correct way to load it and we laugh about it everytime I see him putting dishses in there. =)

19 Sarah @ See Sarah Eat April 5, 2011 at 10:29 am

My husband is the same way about the lights! I lovingly refer to him as the “prince of darkness” because he will sit in the dark until I flip the light on. Haha!
Sarah @ See Sarah Eat recently posted..And the winner is…

20 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun April 5, 2011 at 10:45 am

I can’t believe its been a month already!

And what is it with guys wanting to leave the lights off? My husband always gets onto me for having lights on all over the downstairs. I like it bright!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflections- Outward Beauty

21 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 5, 2011 at 10:46 am

It’s definitely true you learn the most about someone when living with them. Mike and I started living together in college so I knew all his little quirks. I never actually lived on my own though. I think I would’ve been lonely!

No sun shining here! Dreary rain all week! πŸ™ Harrumph!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Caught Something I Wish I Didn’t

22 Hannah April 5, 2011 at 10:57 am

what happened to your 6 week 6 pack challenge??

23 Meghann April 5, 2011 at 2:53 pm

It kind of fell at the waist side when I went to NYC in feb. πŸ™

24 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 5, 2011 at 10:58 am

Haha! My husband set my ringtone on his phone to “Every Light in the House is on” because I, like you, enjoy having the lights on. I like the house bright. He swears he’s going to motion sensors on all our light. πŸ˜€

25 Sarah for Real April 5, 2011 at 11:07 am

My husband and I load the dishwasher differently too. He puts his dishes in the sink, and I put mine in the dishwasher. Har har har…

But seriously. It was one of those chores that, if no one is “assigned” to it, it just doesn’t get done and we both gripe about it. So I volunteered and now it’s my job. He takes out the garbage. Done and done.

26 Meghann April 5, 2011 at 2:54 pm

It’s hard to adjust to having someone to help out. I feel like I should still be doing everything on my own, so when the trash gets full I feel guilty for not taking it out. I really need to get over that!

27 Sarah for Real April 5, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Haha, I bet Derek would disagree with your last statement there. Dividing chores works for us, but maybe not everyone. We just got stuck in the trap of “I’m always the one doing ____. Why doesn’t (significant other) ever do it?!” So to avoid that we just separate tasks. I still take out the garbage occasionally (and he’ll empty the dishwasher) but when that happens it’s just a happy-surprise-helpful positive thing!

28 Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) April 5, 2011 at 11:10 am

This weather is CRAZY. It was 80 and sunny yesterday, and now it’s 60 and stormy. Last night we had a crazy storm at 3 a.m. Luckily, the power came back on!
Happy Month-aversary! Living together can be so fun and it’s definitely an adventure πŸ˜€ I love living with my boyfriend! Hope the next month is just as great as this one has been for you!
Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) recently posted..Hands Down…

29 Cait's Plate April 5, 2011 at 11:10 am

Haha I totally hear ya! I just moved in with my boyfriend of 5 years back in October and I couldn’t agree more – you definitely learn something new about the person EVERY day. You also realize how difficult it is to live with someone when you’re used to your own space! I wouldn’t trade it for the world but it certainly takes some getting used to! πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Sushi Edamame

30 Megan April 5, 2011 at 11:14 am

Good luck on this adventure.

You’ve probably gotten a lot of advice… but I’m your age and when I got married (3.5 years ago) I remember thinking the same things you are thinking now about chores and the way we do things.

Eventually it beame the way WE do things. Not the way I do things or my husband does things. It became WE. Try starting to think that way… because you are on the adventure together. AND if you never, ever settle how the shower flippy thing should be or if he puts the toilet seat down or how the towels get folded… It’s worth just getting over. Those things don’t matter. There’s no “winning” in love. Only loving the other person more than yourself and making tiny sacrifices each day to keep that love alive. Anyone who tells you different isn’t as happy as they could be.
Promise.

31 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 5, 2011 at 11:17 am

The sun IS shining out here in Cali! πŸ™‚
How fun that you did yoga by candlelight – way to make the most of the power outage!

32 Hope April 5, 2011 at 11:24 am

I love that picture of Derek and Maddie! Super cute!

Cannoli cereal bowl? That sounds amazing! Cannolis are my favorite πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Healthier Chicken Pot Pie…

33 kimliveshealthy April 5, 2011 at 11:24 am

Watch out with the dishwasher! We are in a marriage prep course and all the couples say that’s their most frequent fight! Figure out a method u agree on & if it means his way just go along with it
Rewashing a few spoons and bowls is nothing compared to a fight, and you’ll have a blissful home!

34 Kacy April 5, 2011 at 11:40 am

That pic of Maddie all curled up on the pillow is tooo cute!
All of my exes also liked to sit in the dark. Must be a guy thing.
Yay for a month of living together!
Kacy recently posted..BIG talk

35 Katy (The Singing Runner) April 5, 2011 at 11:42 am

Ugh, the rain is awful here in Jacksonville. It woke me up an hour early this morning! Have a great day!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Chicago Marathon 2011 Training Reflection- Week 2

36 Stacey April 5, 2011 at 11:45 am

Thats so funny about the towels/dishwasher bc I noticed those exact things about my signifigant other too. My method is way better, I use the tri-fold method vs’ just folding in half. πŸ™‚
Stacey recently posted..Time Flies

37 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 5, 2011 at 11:50 am

I’m such a control freak that I can’t imagine living with anyone but my family πŸ™‚ Haha, I’m glad you guys are making it work. I died when I saw that picture of Maddie and Derek in bed together- SO sweet!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

38 Sana April 5, 2011 at 11:50 am

I can only imagine how much fun you and derek have living together as well πŸ™‚

39 Marina April 5, 2011 at 12:14 pm

It’s been three years for me and my bf, and still, we continue to discover new stuff about us. Living with a boy is awesome πŸ™‚
I’m glad you and Derek love it as well πŸ™‚
Marina recently posted..Future Vet Series- Part 2- Food toxicity

40 Anastasia April 5, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Living with someone is always an adventure. I’ve been with my husband for six years now and we still learn things about each other.. and argue over how to fold towels haha!

41 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen April 5, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I have been wanting to try substituting ricotta cheese for my daily dose of the cottage variety, as it has lower sodium for the same protein punch. You might have finally convinced me to go for it. πŸ™‚
Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen recently posted..Cherries for Charity

42 Amber April 5, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Aww!! That picture of you and Derek is so cute! I 100% agree with you! Living with Dave has been an awesome couple of months, but I learn something new about him everyday. Like he doesn’t use a dressor, he using the computer chair! C’mon really?! πŸ™‚ But I still love him and think he is wonderful, and he still makes me smile and laugh everyday. Thats what counts right?! Super happy for you!

43 Lauren @Hungry Dancer April 5, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Yay for one month of living together!!!! I think communication is the best policy!!!
Lauren @Hungry Dancer recently posted..Chobani Love

44 Robyn @ http://birduponthewind.blogspot.com/ April 5, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I got giddy just reading the words “Cannoli Cereal” because if there is a way to make dessert allowable for breakfast I’m there! Sign me up! You can bet I’m making this sometime soon!!!

45 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 5, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Happy mov-iversary!!! I always joke that if I had lived with my husband before getting married that I would have never taken the plunge! πŸ˜‰ I think sitting in the dark is a guy thing. I like ALLLLLL the lights to be on at all times. He can’t stand it.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..so amazing

46 Heather April 5, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Oooooh, I see your next home design challenge πŸ˜‰ In all seriousness, though, congrats on a happy and productive first month of domestic bliss!

47 Jennie @ Designed to be Fit April 5, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I moved in with my husband after dating for 7 years and I am still learning new things about him (we’ve lived together for almost a year!)

My biggest “pet peeve” is how the groceries are put away. We have the smallest pantry ever (it’s actually just a cabinet) and I have it organized in the perfect way so that everything fits and the important stuff is in my reach. When he puts the groceries away I always secretly take stuff out and put it back the way I want it. πŸ™‚

48 Emily @ Savory and Savage April 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Best picture ever? The one of them both sleeping in the bed. Adorable!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Guilt-free day

49 katie April 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I can not believe its been a month already! Time flies!!

It is not sunny here : p send some sun!!!
katie recently posted..Wine Will never be the same

50 Crystal April 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Whoa.. cannoli breakfast!!!! That looks amazing.. I’m stealing this πŸ™‚ Moving in with someone is certainly an adventure- but it is awesome for the most part.. Nothing like having someone to share life with πŸ™‚ So glad you guys are enjoying life!

51 River April 5, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Awww Maddie looks so cute in that picture haha.

I love your breakfast posts…I need to try one of your breakfasts out some time!
River recently posted..LOTD – Saturday 2nd April

52 Lauren @chigallauren April 5, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Haha so funny about the shower thingy…after I moved in with my boyfriend that was the one thing that bugged him, that I didn’t push it down after I showered!
Lauren @chigallauren recently posted..Sweet and Savory

53 Alison April 5, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Awww, Maddie sleeping on the pillow is precious! Love it!

Your BF is pretty cute, too πŸ˜‰
Alison recently posted..Motivation- Good- better- best

54 Mac April 5, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Gloomy, gloomy, but at least we made it to the 50s today! Wahoo!
Mac recently posted..Another Reason to Love Target

55 Emma (Namaste Everyday) April 5, 2011 at 9:13 pm

it seems like everyone is losing power today! Also, as an Italian, I LOVE that cannoli invention of yours. yummmmsters
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..CinnaBon Craving Conquered!

56 Sarah April 5, 2011 at 9:54 pm

maddie and derek sleeping is SO CUTE.. i love your dog she is such a character and remind me of my little guy because they about the same size and build πŸ™‚

I have lived with my now finace for 5 years! We have a completely different way of taking care of things as in… he likes to live in a pig sty and im a neat freak but we have managed to make it work πŸ˜‰
Sarah recently posted..Sunday- Dog Day

57 Carly @ Cooking With Carly April 7, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I’m reading this in class and just actually laughed out loud at the “flip the shower thing on or off”…my fiance and I fight about that all the time! Glad to know we’re not the only ones suffering from that life-altering problem! lol
Carly @ Cooking With Carly recently posted..Going Green

58 Tara @ trulysimplebits April 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I hear ya on the lights on/off thing!! I don’t know if it’s cause my eyes aren’t 20/20 or what but I always need lots of lights on. My new hubby is different, he loves to eat in the dark, watch tv in the dark, everything. He’s always turning them off and I turn them back on. Maybe it’s a guy thing πŸ™‚
Tara @ trulysimplebits recently posted..Oh The Things That Amuse Us