Our First Guests!

by Meghann on April 1, 2011

They’re here!

IMG_0992.jpg

And Maddie is beaming from ear to ear. πŸ™‚

Kelly, Anthony, Ben, and Ashley arrived safe and sound from Orlando this afternoon. They are my first official visitors since moving to Tampa. Plenty of reason to celebrate, right?

Bring on the cupcakes!

I was getting a little antsy waiting for them to arrive and decided baking was the best way to busy my mind. It was also a great excuse to test out the Oatmeal Cookie Cupcake recipe Mama Pea had posted a while back.

I followed the recipe the best I could (with what I had on hand) and only substituted pumpkin for the applesauce and peanut butter instead of almond butter.

The icing was a different story. I sort of made my own by beating powder sugar, peanut flour, milk, and vanilla extract. I wasn’t exact and only added what I thought I needed by taste, but I was happy with the way it came out.

After a long drive, I know my family appreciated the sweet treat. Heck, I hadn’t driven anywhere and I found myself diving right in too. The cupcakes were moist with a hint of spice and the peanut butter flavored icing was rich and sweet. These were a great idea.

After a round of cupcakes, a short tour, and a little catch up, we headed to Cigar City Brewery for their Tasting Room.

Cigar City Brewery is a small local brewery with distribution primarily in the Tampa Bay area. They’re known for their out of the box brews and kick back style.

I ordered the Moduro Brown Ale. I’ve had it before and already knew it was a great beer. I’ve had a fondness for rich brown ales lately. I enjoy their depth of flavor and bite.

IMG_1003.jpg

We toured the city a bit more before meeting Derek and some of his co-workers at The Bricks in Ybor City.

The Bricks was another wonderful recommendation from a few of my new Tampa friends. As soon as I heard there was a ‘Peanut Butter Bar’ on the menu, I was sold.

Yes, there’s a build-your-own Peanut Butter Bar on the menu! And they have a lot of fun combos to go with it. One of Derek’s co-workers ordered the ‘Elvis’ (a Peanut Butter, Banana, and Bacon Sandwich) and I had been eyeing the Peanut Butter, Gruyere Cheese, and Apple combo online for a while. I was really close to getting it too, but when the time came to order I was sadly not in the peanut butter mood – the horror!

Instead I ordered the Portabelly (portobello, red pepper, cheese, and tomato on a baguette) with Potato Salad.

Usually Portobello Sandwiches translate into really greasy sandwiches, but this wasn’t greasy at all. It was slightly sweet from a balsamic dressing on the inside and the outside was hard and crusty. It was a great sandwich!

I managed to steel some of my sister and Anthony’s nachos. Those were fab too.

We were seated in the back, by the stage, and were dining just as the band (who was performing later that night) were completing their sound check. The management felt guilty about the extra noise and treated us with free dessert as his apology.

IMG_1056.JPG IMG_1057.JPG

I had a bite sized piece of each. Loved the red velvet. The chocolate? Eh.

The manager really had no need to apologize. The band was pretty good and the soundcheck was short, but it was really great of his to present the free dessert. Heck, he didn’t even ask if we wanted it – he just brought it to the table anyways. Good man!

We finished our evening in Ybor with a little drag.

IMG_1076.jpg IMG_1085.JPG

Gotta love a girl who looks better in heels than I do!

IMG_1098.jpg

Yea, I don’t get the snakes either, but boy she knew how to shake it!

Alright, time to rest. I have a long run with my siblings tomorrow!

Good Night!

1 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 1, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Maddie looks SO happy. That totally made me smile πŸ™‚
Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing recently posted..Unfried Refried Beans- The Best

2 Courtney April 1, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Holy crap! You guys know how to have a good time. πŸ™‚ And damn, looks like Medusa over there does, too. (I’m stealing that cupcake recipe, thanks!)
Courtney recently posted..Mil-Spouse Friday Fill-In 36

3 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 1, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Those cupcakes look delicious.

I am super confused by the snakes on her butt — but what a riot!

4 Sarah April 1, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I’ve been eyeing those cupcakes as well! I hope I get a chance to make them soon πŸ™‚ Your icing sounds REALLY good too!! I love that I have all the ingredients on hand

5 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 1, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I think it’s so cute that you hang out with your siblings so much! I hang out with my sister all the time, but I’m not close with my brother at all πŸ™
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

6 sarah (sarah learns) April 1, 2011 at 11:18 pm

hooray! enjoy your weekend with your family! πŸ™‚ and the portobelly is totally what i would order. i LOVE getting portobello dishes when i’m out to eat!

7 grace b April 1, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Tank tops and shorts in April!? It snowed here today!!

I’m jealous.

Looks like an awesome night out! πŸ™‚

8 Mama Pea April 1, 2011 at 11:41 pm

So glad you liked the cupcakes! They are our FAVORITE!

9 Emma (Namaste Everyday) April 2, 2011 at 12:04 am

those cupcakes look fantastic! What is peanut flour though? I’ve never heard of it.

10 J April 2, 2011 at 12:27 am

Yum, those cupcakes look delish! And I like your hair like that- cute!

11 Katy (The Singing Runner) April 2, 2011 at 12:42 am

Haha! What a great way to end the evening! πŸ˜‰
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Pura Vida!- Costa Rica Day 5

12 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 2, 2011 at 1:14 am

Good man, indeed! I love when management is alert and accommodating. πŸ™‚
J3nn (Jenn’s Menu and Lifestyle Blog) recently posted..Soak It Up

13 Jumanah (Healthy Living in the Middle East) April 2, 2011 at 3:28 am

Sounds like you had a fun night! Gotta love free dessert!

Have a great time with your guests!
Jumanah (Healthy Living in the Middle East) recently posted..Not as productive as planned

14 Hannah @ Healthy Whip April 2, 2011 at 4:25 am

Looks like a great night!
Hannah @ Healthy Whip recently posted..Cinnamon Apple Pie Oats aka β€˜Where is the sunshine!’

15 katie April 2, 2011 at 7:36 am

Seriously, when you guys go out, you do it big ! I need to hang out with you! I am so glad Tampa is great, its good to see you liking it so far, and you will love it I know, u have been doing a lot and meeting new friends as well is always great, visitors too!
katie recently posted..Home sweet Home

16 Amber April 2, 2011 at 7:43 am

You guys look like you had a blast. I have always wanted to go to the cigar brewry. Have you been to the Orlando brewry?
Amber recently posted..Big things to come

17 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 2, 2011 at 8:20 am

The cupcakes looks delish. Gotta love it when family visits. So much fun!
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Holy Bazaar!

18 Courtney April 2, 2011 at 8:29 am

What a fun day!! I love free desserts! :D:D
Courtney recently posted..Spring Break

19 Katherine: Unemployed April 2, 2011 at 8:39 am

this is where lady gaga grew up…
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Sally Ride

20 Hilary April 2, 2011 at 9:53 am

Those cupcakes look YUMMY! And what a fun night out….free dessert is ALWAYS good…I hope you go back and try the PB bar…I want to hear about it!
Hilary recently posted..Hungry for More

21 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 2, 2011 at 10:26 am

What an awesome time. It always looks like you and your family have such a great time together!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..A Terrible Joke

22 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 2, 2011 at 10:31 am

Those cupcakes sound incredible. Hmmm, I’m thinking of a way to make them gluten-free.
Looks like you guys had a blast, too.
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Too Much Wine and Who the Heck is Taking Pictures

23 Ashley April 2, 2011 at 10:31 am

That looks like a lot of fun! Whats with Ben’s face in the second to last picture? haha The cupcakes look delish!

24 Dina @ DinaRuns April 2, 2011 at 10:33 am

Those cupcakes look really yummy! I haven’t been over to Ybor in forever but you may have just convinced me with peanut butter bar.
Dina @ DinaRuns recently posted..J’s Birthday

25 Amanda April 2, 2011 at 10:40 am

My friend’s family works and are managers at Cigar City Brewery! I remember when the place first took off πŸ™‚ I am so glad you enjoyed it! I love the Moduro Brown Ale because it has kind of a nutty taste! Next time you go say “Amanda says Hello!” Hope you are enjoying Tampa! If you haven’t tried one of the best taco places in Tampa go to Mema’s Alaskan Tacos next time you are in Ybor! It is a very interesting place and they have really good fish tacos!

26 Allie April 2, 2011 at 11:48 am

Looks like you had an awesome time last night! The cupcakes sound delish and so does the mushroom burger πŸ˜€

27 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 2, 2011 at 7:14 pm

wow- check out that get up!! And your meal and cake looks awesome πŸ™‚