more ยป" />

My Run

by Meghann on March 31, 2011

Do you think running one marathon sounds tough?

Try running 75. In a row.

That’s what Terry Hitchcock did when he set out from Minneapolis to Atlanta on a 2000 mile journey to raise awareness for single parents. He ran, walked, and crawled his way the that finish line.

Thankfully he survived the journey and last year they turned his story into a documentary called My Run.

MyRunBanner.jpg

My Run had a one night showing at select theaters across the nation. I had purchased the tickets a few weeks ago, but last night the friend I had invited along canceled and then, this afternoon, another friend cancelled too. I was all set to go on my own when Derek saved the day by agreeing to go with me (after I bribed him with dinner, of course. ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Honestly, I was on the verge of bailing tonight as well. The weather had been really, really bad all day. The sun never really came out, tornado warnings ran rampart through out the Tampa area, and a small river had formed where my sidewalk had once been. Poor Maddie was shaking her little heart out and refused to leave my side. Thunderstorms really aren’t fun – especially to drive in.

Luckily I had no where else to be today besides at my dining room table, safe and sound with my laptop (which remained unplugged).

Around lunch time I made a great salad using a left over sausage burger and a homemade dressing of BBQ Sauce, Apple Conserves, and Vinegar.

On the bottom I had mixed greens, then the crumbled burger, broccoli, blue cheese, and a drizzle of the homemade dressing on top.

I had an urge to pile the salad with every vegetable in my fridge, but I held restraint and was really impressed how well the simple flavors worked together.

The meals was complete with a mini piece of toast with apple conserves.

The afternoon crawled by at a snail’s pace ( I blame the rain).

I’m pretty sured I snacked on a homemade trail mix just to entertain my mouth.

When crunch time came – and Derek agreed to go with me – I popped a bag of popcorn to share with Derek at the theater and hit the road.

(I wasn’t a Pop & Win winner. Aww Schucks!)

The theater was a straight shot from the house, so traffic and flooding weren’t a problem. The drive was relatively quick and easy. Take that rain!

The documentary was a little different than I thought it would be. I went into it knowing absolutely nothing about Terri Hitchcock or his story, so the first thing that really struck me was the fact he did this big run all the way back in 1996 (not sure why I assumed it was a recent thing?) .

It was a pretty inspiring story. The movie begins with the narrative of how Terri and his wife met, fell in love, and started their family once upon a time ago. Then it takes a turn to sadness when his wife loses her battle with cancer and he is left to raise their family on his own. A little of this and a little of that and BAM he decides to run to Atlanta just before the opening ceremonies of the Olympics to raise awareness for single parents.

MyRun_TerryRun_250.jpg

The movie does a great job telling the story of his journey. It moves quickly, so I feel like they only scratched the surface on what was going through his head, but you definitely feel for the heartache and set backs. A 2000 mile journey isn’t a run around the block, it takes dedication and persistance.

I liked the fact that he was an ‘everyman’ and that he took the journey at his own pace with a stop every mile. I also loved his eldest son for sticking with him for the whole journey. it wasn’t just Teri’s story – it was Chris’ too!

It probably wasn’t the point of the movie, but I had a sudden desire to run some great big distance. I mean if Terri could run 26+ miles a day for 75 days, then surely I could compete in a Ragner relay or run across state, right?

After the movie Derek and I headed to Mellow Mushroom for a late (to me) dinner.

Derek ordered an amazing Buffalo Chicken Calzone, which I stole more than a bite of.

(I also stole a few sips of his beer)

IMG_5435.jpg

And I ordered the Magical Mystery PIzza.

Screen shot 2011-03-31 at 11.10.28 PM.png

The pesto sauce made it extra greasy, but I still enjoyed my two greasy slices.

Next time I would add tempeh to the pizza though just to give it a little bulk.

I was craving chocolate after dinner and knew this bar I found in the fridge would do the trick.

I think Derek won the bar as a prize for asking questions in a meeting or something? I’m sure he won’t mind that a row of chocolate is missing not. At least, I hope not. ๐Ÿ™‚

BIG NEWS!

Tomorrow my brother and sister are coming!

Saturday my parents are coming!

Anderson Party in da house!

Good Night!

1 Kaitlin March 31, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I really wanted to see that movie! Thanks for the recap.
Kaitlin recently posted..Vegetable Frittata

2 Katy (The Singing Runner) March 31, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I really wanted to see that movie but I had a choir rehearsal tonight that I could not miss…ugh.
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Pura Vida!- Costa Rica Day 5

3 Hannah (Running In Freedom) March 31, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I’ve heard such good things about the movie! Thanks for the review. Definitely has me itching to go see it! ๐Ÿ™‚
Hannah (Running In Freedom) recently posted..Grey Skies and Pretty Salads

4 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out March 31, 2011 at 11:33 pm

26 Miles a day for 75 days? That’s just insane! And I was a single parent – it’s no joke. But wowza, that’s some dedication.

And the pizza looks fab. I hear that Mellow Mushroom has a gluten-free pizza that I’d like to try.

5 Becca March 31, 2011 at 11:34 pm

That’s a pretty awesome story, I think! Have you read Matt Long’s “The Long Run”? It’s pretty incredible too.

Ragnar? My dad did one of those. Twice, actually! He enjoys it. ๐Ÿ™‚ I think he’s planning on doing one again this summer.
Becca recently posted..30 Days of Truth- Recap

6 Ashley March 31, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Thanks for the awesome recap, and blogging tonight. I was afraid you might have drowned! The weather sounds horrible there.

7 michelle March 31, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I really want to see that movie! It looks so inspiring

8 mitzi @ my nikon eats food March 31, 2011 at 11:38 pm

buffalo chicken calzone?? that..sounds amazing! ๐Ÿ˜‰

9 stace March 31, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I love mellow mushroom but I have not been there in years since i lived in NC! I can just picture and taste that perfect crust mmmm! Thanks for the photo memory!

10 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 31, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Wow-that looks like an epic movie- I want to see it too now! P.s. love the pizza and calzone idea–pesto is great, but it can get greasy.Best way to fix that is with chocolate-yummmmy ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Sana March 31, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Enjoy the time with your family!!
Sana recently posted..Birthday Giveaway!

12 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 1, 2011 at 12:00 am

Yay for family time! Y’all are going to have so much fun!!

13 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 1, 2011 at 12:35 am

I wish I had known about that movie! Looks interesting ๐Ÿ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

14 Hannah @ Healthy Whip April 1, 2011 at 2:07 am

That film sounds really interesting. The pizza looks great!
Hannah @ Healthy Whip recently posted..Fast and Tasty Tomato

15 Laura (Starloz) April 1, 2011 at 2:20 am

it sounds like a great movie. might have to rent it.

oh & your pizza sounds nice, shame it didnt have much bulk
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..Chili Vegetable Pasta

16 Emma (Namaste Everyday) April 1, 2011 at 4:33 am

I can’t wait to meet your family! Thank you for sharing your life with me. You remind me so much of a friend back home, and I feel closer to her when I read your blog.
I want to see that movie! i’ll have to put it on my imaginary netflix cue
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..CinnaBon Craving Conquered!

17 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East April 1, 2011 at 4:49 am

I cant imagine running 1 marathon much less 75! WOW!

I love pesto on everything- especially pizza. Good choice!
Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East recently posted..Not as productive as planned

18 Christine @ Burning It Off April 1, 2011 at 7:03 am

I’m trying to psych myself up to go for a run this morning… it’ll be my first run since December. I just can’t deal with the cold. I’m such a baby.
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..The Perfect Wednesday

19 The Teenage Taste April 1, 2011 at 7:10 am

My Run sounds like a great movie! So inspiring! I’ll have to rent it when it comes out on DVD.
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Bacon Cheddar Biscuits

20 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 1, 2011 at 7:47 am

I saw the movie last night and LOVED it –very inspriring and motivating to figure out what I want to do and to just do it!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Welcome to The Runny Egg!

21 Hope April 1, 2011 at 8:29 am

The Mellow Mushroom looks awesome! I hate when pizzas are greasy. Despite that, it looks very tasty! ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope recently posted..White Chicken Chili &amp Cornbreadโ€ฆ

22 Dori April 1, 2011 at 8:29 am

I am glad Derek stepped up and accompanied you to the movies.
Dori recently posted..At Which Everyone Pays Attention to Dori

23 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me April 1, 2011 at 8:38 am

omg tornado warnings!??! I’d be scared to death. I’m petrified of them for some reason (even though I’ve never seen or encountered one). Have you ever seen a tornado?
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Busy Busy &amp Typicalness

24 Claudia April 1, 2011 at 8:56 am

This story is great too: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20101231/man-runs-250-marathons-101231/
The man in the story ran 250 marathons in 2010. Basically he ran 5 marathons per week, every week in 2010. Incredible!

25 Jessica April 1, 2011 at 9:07 am

Ugh right now I can’t even fathom running a 5k lol. That’s pathetic, right? haha
Jessica recently posted..The Little Things

26 Kacy April 1, 2011 at 9:31 am

The movie sounds great! I hope to get a chance to see it.
I hope Derek isn’t as crazy about his chocolate as I am, I get pretty protective of it ๐Ÿ˜‰

27 mego @ watch mego run April 1, 2011 at 9:50 am

I saw it too and loved it. So inspiring and makes you realize, if he can do that, anyone can run just one marathon in their life!
mego @ watch mego run recently posted..all sorts of awesome or how to get everything you want

28 Kristy April 1, 2011 at 10:47 am

Inspiring! I’m laughing out loud though at your many different spellings of Terry’s name!

29 Carly @ Cooking With Carly April 1, 2011 at 10:56 am

Wow, that Mellow Mushroom is WAY cooler looking than the ones in Orlando! I never noticed that particular pizza on the menu, but I will have to look for it next time- sounds amazing!
Carly @ Cooking With Carly recently posted..A Dangerous Drive Lemon Chicken

30 Katherine: Unemployed April 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I love the decor of different mellow mushrooms! they’re all so different but done very well
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Sally Ride

31 Clare @ Fitting It All In April 1, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I saw the movie last night as well. I expected it to be much more of a running movie, but found that it was focused on overcoming obstacles and facing challenges. It was inspirational for sure, just not in the way I had expected!

32 Karolina April 1, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I didn’t watch the movie, but I’ve heard many good things about it! Glad that you enjoyed it and found it inspirational:)
Karolina recently posted..Oven Roasted Broccoli

33 Mac April 1, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I really wanted to see that movie, it’s such an incredible story!