Sausage Burgers

by Meghann on March 30, 2011

I <3 Rachael Ray

rachael_ray-show.jpg

She’s fun to watch, always has creative ideas, and isn’t a professionally trained chef (I actually like that about her).

I’m such a big fan that I subscribe to her monthly magazine (it has a lot of great ideas!) and DVR her show daily. It’s great background noise while cooking in the kitchen – my favorite segment being the ‘What’s For Dinner’ at the end of every episode. I never run to the computer to print her recipes word for word, but I do use them as inspiration.

A few weeks ago she made a version of Sausage Burgers that caught my attention and subsequently inspired tonight’s meal.

Again, I didn’t follow her recipe exactly – this was more my made up version using the basic sausage burger idea.

Meghann’s Sausage Burger

• 1.25 lbs of Pork
  • 1/2 Chopped Red Onion
  • 1/4 cup Raisins
  • 2 T Apple Chutney
  • 1 T Fennel Seeds
  • 1/4 cup Ground Flaxseed
  • 1 T Worteshire Sauce
  • S&P

Mix well and create four equal patties

Grill on the George Foreman until done

The flavor reminded me of traditional sausage stuffing. All the flavors were there with the addition of the apple, raisins, and nutty flax seed, the only thing missing was some nice, fresh sage.

I enjoyed my burger between two slices of sunflower bread with bbq sauce, more apple chutney, and greens.

Regular burgers are so boring. Next time you make a burger try spicing it up with a different kind of meat (or beans!) and throw in fun mix-ins like raisins, cinnamon, apple, etc. Trust me – it’s fun!

Roasted Rosemary Potatoes

And Roasted Asparagus finished the plate.

Derek and I watched a really weird movie on Netflix Instant Watch called Chloe. It was really intense and not one I would recommend.

I had the last of the bread pudding with some ice cream while I tried to pay attention.

Thank You for all the recommendations on the second bedroom! After speaking with Derek – and realizing there really isn’t that much junk in there – we both decided that we just need to get the rest of the furniture in there to figure it out. I’m going to take another tour of Ikea in the near future and see if I can find any office workspace organization inspiration.

The room really needs to function as both a guest room (my family plans to visit often) and a office. Sometimes I wish I was better at seeing how things should look and work, but my brain just doesn’t work that way. 🙁 I’m trying though!

1 Kaitlin March 30, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I love Rachel Ray too! Did you know she used to be a vegetarian??
Kaitlin recently posted..Microbiology of Factory Farmed Meat

2 michelle March 30, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I love Rachael as well. I have a few of her cookbooks and really like her look and cook book because there are so many photos for every single recipe.
michelle recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

3 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 30, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I used to watch Rachael Ray all the time and get a lot of recipe ideas. I haven’t watched lately, but she makes a lot of yummy and easy dishes.

A sausage burger sounds amazing! She is very creative with burgers. Yum!
J3nn (Jenn’s Menu and Lifestyle Blog) recently posted..Christmas Trees on Tuesday

4 Jo March 30, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Does Derek eat the same food?

5 Derek March 31, 2011 at 8:08 am

If you mean at dinner time, yes. There’s been maybe 2 or 3 times that she’s made dinner (since we’ve been dating) and I didn’t want to eat something on the plate. Other than that, I have a very happy stomach.

6 Megan @ megan mumbles March 30, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Yummmm!!! Those burgers look great! I tend to keep it simple maybe I need to go to you for inspirationM
Megan @ megan mumbles recently posted..Hoboken

7 Ashley March 30, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I used to watch Rachel Ray all the time! You’ll get there with the room don’t stress about it.

8 Whitney March 30, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I watched that on Netflix too! SO WEIRD!!!!
Whitney recently posted..Random Thoughts

9 Katy March 31, 2011 at 10:23 am

I did too! I walked away saying REALLY? that is a super strange movie!

10 Holly @ The Runny Egg March 30, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Those burgers look delicious — I never thought to put raisins in burgers!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Welcome to The Runny Egg!

11 Jessica March 30, 2011 at 10:25 pm

You’re doing a great job! It’s not easy to move everything and then have to build it all up again, all while still doing your normal life. It will all come together!!

12 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) March 30, 2011 at 10:25 pm

This may sound a bit off-the-wall, but Lazy Boy has a “room builder” where you can arrange furniture and other items within a 2d or 3d room. I just use furniture that is similar to what we have now, or fits the same dimensions of what we have or want and then arrange to get a better feel for layout. It’s basic, but it’s helpful!
Deva (Voracious Vorilee) recently posted..Active Hunger

13 Hillary March 31, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I think Ikea has a room builder too!

14 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 30, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I love Rachel Ray too! Everyone always hates on her, but I think she’s adorable. I love the addition of raisins- yum!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

15 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 30, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Actually think Rachel Ray is really annoying. The $40 a day show is pretty good though!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

16 Christine March 30, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I have to agree, in a way. I can’t stand listening to her, but love her magazine and her recipes for quick meals. And you’ve got to give her credit for what she’s done for her career.
Christine recently posted..Earth Hour-Yay For Me!

17 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 31, 2011 at 8:42 am

Me too! Oh man, listening to her talk drives me up the wall.

I can stand to watch 30 minute meals only if I mute it.

18 Em March 30, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I love a room makeover. I say: get a rug to warm up the space, a nice big desk to work at, a shelving unit for one wall to house all your stuff, and then the pullout couch/futon!

Here is some inspiration:

19 Kacy March 30, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I like Rachel Ray too, I don’t know why everyone hates on her.
Kacy recently posted..BIG talk

20 River March 30, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I love Rachel Ray!

When I saw tomato sauce on your potatoes I thought ‘wow that’s weird’ but I suppose it’s no different than chips and sauce! Just seems different when they don’t look like chips, even if they are pretty much the same. 😉
River recently posted..47 – Roadtrip!

21 shelby March 30, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I grudgingly enjoy RR as well, so I understand that! But: are those burgers of yours actually DONE in that photo? They look half raw.
shelby recently posted..Ah-CHOO!

22 Meghann March 31, 2011 at 8:38 am

The photo on the George Foreman? No, those aren’t done – i just opened it to take a photo. 🙂

23 Nina March 30, 2011 at 11:06 pm

OMG I totally watched Chloe the other day too! I agree, very intense, BUT major props (spoiler alert!) to Amanda Seyfried for that sex scene with Julianne Moore. I mean that must have been so nerve-wracking, especially with how famous/good of an actress JM is!

24 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 30, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I love me some roasted asparagus! It’s definitely one of my favorite ways side dishes!

25 Mac March 30, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Rachel Ray is one of my favorite tv chefs too! It is impressive that she is not a professionally trained chef… she’s awesome!
Mac recently posted..Food Diary Day 1

26 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 30, 2011 at 11:36 pm

oh yes – she is adorable!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Party Food- Coleslaw with a ‘difference’

27 Sana March 30, 2011 at 11:37 pm

This is why you have a blog! To bounce ideas off your readers!! You are too smart!
Sana recently posted..The Glam Life

28 Sarah for Real March 31, 2011 at 12:01 am

Well I’m in the can’t-stand-Rachel-Ray group but that’s not what I wanted to comment on…

“I wish I was better at seeing how things should look and work, but my brain just doesn’t work that way.”

I wanted to suggest that you focus your efforts on finding inspiring images in catalogs, online, magazines of spaces that you love. Then copy those ideas (even totally literally) for your space. That way, all the hard work is done for you by professionals! So look for an office space with lots of storage, or a futon area that speaks to the comfy-casual look you want, and then combine those things together. It’s just like how you cook without a recipe, but with inspiration instead!
Sarah for Real recently posted..Luuuucy…!

29 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 31, 2011 at 12:13 am

I love ketchup on my veggies too 😉

30 Emily @ Savory and Savage March 31, 2011 at 12:20 am

I think it is really impressive how quickly you have organized the house after your move.

Sometimes the last room just takes a bit of time.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Temptations

31 Hannah @ Healthy Whip March 31, 2011 at 1:33 am

We don’t have Rachel Ray over here, but I have looked at her website a few times!

Bread pudding with ice cream is my Nan’s favourite pudding- I might ask her nicely to make me some this weekend now! 😉
Hannah @ Healthy Whip recently posted..Fast and Tasty Tomato

32 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East March 31, 2011 at 6:15 am

I love Rachel Ray too! We get alot of her old shows here and not too many of the newer episodes- unfortunately!

Your burger looks delicious. I have never had raisins in a burger… great idea! Definately want to try that!

33 Lauren March 31, 2011 at 6:51 am

I love some R&R myself! Many people think she’s annoying, but I love her quirkiness. 🙂 And she does have some awesome recipe ideas.
Lauren recently posted..How I Wake Up to Work Out

34 Amy March 31, 2011 at 7:39 am

Aw, 30 Minute Meals was what got me over my fear of cooking. Rachael Ray changed my life, no lie.

As for the bedroom, take a look through magazines (like House Beautiful, Better Homes & Gardens, etc.) for inspiration and do what you can to “copy” those ideas into your guest room. You can do it!
Amy recently posted..rereading tolkien- another confession

35 Fancy March 31, 2011 at 8:06 am

Your bread looks delicious…sunflower bread? Can you share the brand? Thanks, Meghann 🙂 Have a great day!

36 Meghann March 31, 2011 at 8:43 am

It’s from the Greenwise Bakery

37 Khushboo March 31, 2011 at 8:07 am

I watched an episode of Rachael Ray for the first time yesterday and loved it! She has a really fun personality and her recipes seem pretty basic yet totally delicious.
Khushboo recently posted..Antioxidants on steroids

38 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life March 31, 2011 at 8:08 am

Those look delicious! I love RR, too.
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..The most direct means of coming into this amazing tool of consciousness

39 Hope March 31, 2011 at 8:39 am

I love watching Rachael Ray too! I subscribe to her magazine also! I think she is great on television and all but she is definitely not like that in person. I went to a book signing of her’s a couple of years ago and she was very rude. She didn’t act like how she does on tv at all! I was so disappointed. I asked her a question and she like snapped at me! Even so, I still watch her show, and like I said I subscribe to her mag and I love her cookware/bakeware. 🙂
Hope recently posted..White Chicken Chili &amp Cornbread…

40 Mimi March 31, 2011 at 9:21 am

Generally, guys have better spatial ability to imagine how things fit in a room. So, ask Derek how he imagines it and then work off that — That way, you are both happy and feel like you contributed! (:
Mimi recently posted..College girl’s guide to good guys

41 Fit Chick Britt March 31, 2011 at 9:28 am

Wow that sausage burger looks so good. I had something similar at this South African restaurant my hubby and I just tried a few weeks ago. It was really good.

42 Christina March 31, 2011 at 9:44 am

I saw Chloe when it was out in theaters – I love off-the-wall movies but that one was just too much. I didn’t think anyone else had ever heard of it!

43 Lisa March 31, 2011 at 2:26 pm

The Today Show had a segment on how to get the most out of your spare bedroom – made me think of your dilemma. I think you can watch it on NBC’s website.

44 Carly @ Cook With Carly March 31, 2011 at 4:19 pm

2 things I love about this post:
A) I also LOVE Rachael Ray- I always say that she “taught me” how to cook, resulting in my weight loss, and B) I am the exact same when it comes to rooms- I hate that I can’t figure out what it should look like or will look like with furniture in it. My fiance is the total opposite and can look at an empty room and decorate the whole thing in his head!
Carly @ Cook With Carly recently posted..A Dangerous Drive Lemon Chicken

45 BroccoliHut March 31, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Yay! I am so happy to know that I am not the only Ray Ray fan. I get so much flack from my family, friends, and readers too about my love for Rachael. I watch her talk show every chance I get. I love the What’s for Dinner segment too, but I’ve also been really into the “Lose 55 pounds by prom” thing too:)
BroccoliHut recently posted..Just a Kid

46 ruth November 19, 2013 at 10:24 am

i left out the rasins.. still delicios!