Discovering New Trails

by Meghann on March 30, 2011

Morning!

I was up early this morning to meet my new running buddy, Laura, at a new trail for a 6 mile run.

Tampa is full of trails, unfortunately they’re all a decent drive from my house. This one was 30 minutes on the far north end of New Tampa. Luckily the drive had me going the opposite direction of traffic with minimal slow downs along the way. πŸ™‚

The run was steady and the scenery is gorgeous. I love trails where you feel like you’re getting lost in the woods along the way.

I remember when I first moved to Orlando three years ago, discovering new running trails was my favorite activity. I was addicted to MapyMyRun.Com, Google, and I even started following Caitlin to see what new trails she was discovering in the area. It was like a game – a fun one that I get to play all over again.

If you’re in the process of discovering new trails in your area, some of the best resources I’ve found are:

• Local Running Clubs (I joined the Orlando Runners Club on a few runs)
  • MapMyRun.Com
  • Local Running Stores (great resources! as are their webpages, Facebooks, and twitter)
  • Social Media (duh!)
  • Make a running friend on a trail and ask them if they have any suggestions.

Anyone else have anything to add?

Once I made it home, I broke out the cereal for breakfast.

• 1/2 cup Multigrain Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crisp
  • 1/2 cup Post Great Grains
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Strawberries
  • Blackberry Jam

Yesterday’s bowl was a little bland, so this morning I spiced it up a dollop of blackberry jam for a touch of sweetness. It did the trick.

Giveaway Winner

The winner of the Orville Redenbacher’s Family Night Gift Basket is….

Screen shot 2011-03-30 at 10.04.01 AM.png

CONGRATS Catherine!!!

E-mail me at mealsandmiles@gmail.com to collect your prize!

1 Christina March 30, 2011 at 10:17 am

Awe I love that movie also! Congrat’s Catherine πŸ™‚

2 Kara March 30, 2011 at 10:18 am

I’ve never had anyone stop and ask for me running recommendations, and that’s too bad because I have a ton! It’s hard to find good running around here since almost none of the roads have shoulders. I did most of my running on the military base here when we first moved here. Now I know better places that don’t involve signs warning me to “Watch for Jet Blast” lol πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Things that really grind my gears

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 30, 2011 at 10:26 am

That sounds like a gorgeous run! I can’t wait until the weather is warm enough here to start running outside again. Unfortunately my schedule only really allows me to run in the very early morning (when it’s still dark!) so I don’t like to hit the trails then, but I love a long run on the weekend! Have a fabulous day Meghann!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Spotlight on Spring Produce- Fennel

4 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food March 30, 2011 at 10:31 am

Sounds like a great run! I’m SO lucky to live by the beach, so that’s my running path πŸ™‚
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Needing a Fresh Start

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg March 30, 2011 at 10:37 am

I use mapmyrun.com or I just ask around — at the running shop I go to or friends/family. Everyone seems to know of one hidden gem around here!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Welcome to The Runny Egg!

6 Elle March 30, 2011 at 10:38 am

Aw, I love that movie too. My dad thinks it is hysterical. My wedding is 17 days away and he keeps saying things like “this is just like that movie!!”

7 Carolyn H. March 30, 2011 at 10:40 am

So what trail did you run on? πŸ˜‰ I need motivation to run 7 today. It didn’t happen this morning when it should have.
Carolyn H. recently posted..Tabbouleh Salad

8 Liz March 30, 2011 at 10:41 am

Usually state parks departments have a listing of trails in the area. I find that helpful.
Liz recently posted..A New Non-Training Plan

9 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life March 30, 2011 at 10:42 am

I love a good cereal combo bowl! I can never eat just one kind. πŸ˜‰
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..Top or Bottom

10 Emily @ Savory and Savage March 30, 2011 at 10:46 am

Your trail run sounded wonderful.

I need to get out and explore the local baylands for nice scenic runs…
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Sunrise muesli

11 Ashley March 30, 2011 at 10:51 am

Congratulations Catherine!
I love trails too, but they’re pretty limited where I’m at.

12 Hilary March 30, 2011 at 11:09 am

That’s quite the bowl of cereal! I love mapmyrun, but there aren’t too many trails around where I live…Imostly use it to map out distances for my training runs.

13 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 30, 2011 at 11:23 am

The blackberry jam looks like a wonderful addition! Have a great day, Meghann!

14 Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) March 30, 2011 at 11:52 am

I love trail running! It’s nice to get away from traffic and society for a little while πŸ™‚ It’s so peaceful out there in the woods!
Hope you have a great day!

15 Lucy @ The Sweet Touch March 30, 2011 at 11:56 am

I like mapmyrun too!

I’m excited that we just moved and our house is right across the street from a big park. The farmer’s market starts up next month, woot woot!!
Lucy @ The Sweet Touch recently posted..Devils Food White-Out Cake

16 linz March 30, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I live right on one of the trails here in Dallas and it has been a huge asset, I’m on it all the time. I love that it has mile markers so I don’t even need to map my run or take my Garmin, I can just zone out and go.
linz recently posted..Chocolate Covered Strawberry Oatmeal

17 Sana March 30, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I wish I felt brave enough to run alone outside πŸ™
Sana recently posted..The Glam Life

18 Little Miss Runshine March 30, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I love new running partners! Sounds like a lot of fun!

19 Emily March 30, 2011 at 12:54 pm

when I moved to DC I picked up a running friend at the water cooler after a race. He had been living/running in the city for over two decades and showed me all of his favorite spots. Plus we are still running together a year and a half later so I got a great training friend out of it too!
Emily recently posted..National Half Marathon Race Report

20 Kate March 30, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I love running on trails but get so creeped out so easily. Getting older = paranoid about EVERYTHING.
Kate recently posted..will run for beer

21 Megan @ Megan Mumbles March 30, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I have never actually had a running partner.. I think I have this fear that i am so slow I am going to slow someone down (I know I am silly).. The funny thing is there are so mnay great bloggers here in NY and literally a running group in Hoboken that meets at my front door.
Megan @ Megan Mumbles recently posted..Hoboken

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 30, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Trail running is way fun-thanks for the tips!

23 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I won’t be moving for a while, but I’m so excited to find new running trails when I move!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

24 Lauren @Hungry Dancer March 30, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Trails are awesome!! I am not a big runner, but out doors is always amazing!!
Lauren @Hungry Dancer recently posted..See ya Later Cocktails &amp Best Dessert

25 Kacy March 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I can’t wait to start playing that game when I move to D.C. I saw so many great trails when I was out there this week.

26 Alaina March 30, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Congrats! What a great prize to win.

I would love to meet some new running partners in Boston. I know there’s a lot out here! πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Knee Slapper

27 Monica C. March 30, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Meetup.com is also a great resource for finding running groups!

28 rebecca lustig March 30, 2011 at 8:11 pm

i used mapmyrun, but i’m also loving dailymile.com! you should definitely check it out πŸ™‚

Becca

29 RunningOnCoffee March 30, 2011 at 9:53 pm

You can also search for public routes on connect.garmin.com (the “explore” tab). You enter the starting point but there are filters for run/bike/etc. and distance. Those are routes from people who have uploaded their activities and didn’t privacy-protect them.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Scopin out the Half Marathon scene

30 Sarah April 1, 2011 at 10:07 am

I think cereal always tastes better when mixed with other cereals πŸ™‚

New trails are SO fun to discover! I unfortunately live in an area where there are not to many…. I have to drive pretty far but once i get there, it is always worth it
Sarah recently posted..THE BIG MOVE