Tea & Sushi

by Meghann on March 29, 2011

The latest episode of Meals and Miles is live!

Screen shot 2011-03-29 at 9.06.57 PM.png

Check it out on izonorlando.com now!

It’s worth watching just to watch me wipe out…

Screen shot 2011-03-29 at 9.23.07 PM.png

I promise!

🙂

My tour of local coffee shops/ tea houses in the Tampa area continued this afternoon with a 3+ hour stop at Dishtopia in South Tampa.

Dishtopia is a quiet little tea shop in a random strip mall off of Kennedy. The outside is nothing special, but the inside is adorable. Lots of great teas and antique tea dishes to oggle at.

I ordered an iced version of the Coconut Truffle Tea and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived at my table in an extra large glass with a cup to spare.

The iced coconut-ty tea was fantastic and, thanks to the extra large glass, my slow sips meant my cup was never empty the whole time I was there.

IMG_5406.jpg

I brought an apple to snack on while working, but I began to feel guilty when the owner caught my eye as I was munching on it.

That guilt led to this.

A bread pudding to go.

mmmm…. dessert. 😉 (but, we’ll get to that later)

I headed to Ybor after i finished working to meet a new friend for dinner.

I arrived on the early side, so I had a chance to explore the area a bit. Ybor reminds me a lot of New Orleans. A good mix of quaint local restaurants and trashy, smelly bars. Gotta love it.

Per a million people’s recommendations, we dined at Blue Samurai Sushi (I’ve had the biggest sushi craving lately!) for dinner

Doesn’t the exposed brick just make you want to rent out a rustic loft and live in the city? Also, LOVE the blue floor!

We ordered a mix of rolls that I’m not even going to pretend to remember the names of.

I can tell you that my favorite was the Hawaiian themed roll with coconut shrimp, sliced mango, and crushed macadamia nut. Yum!

Next was the crab tempura roll with avocado and sliced shrimp.

And last, but still delicious, was the tuna roll wrapped in cucumber

It was a satisfying meal that nipped that sushi craving in the butt!

Derek and I split the bread pudding when I got home. Each serving topped with a dollop of ice cream.

Athleta Brand Ambassadors for Iron Girl

Athleta is looking for a few ambassadors to represent the brand for upcoming events in the following areas.

Atlanta, GA
New Orleans, LA
Portland, OR
Cloumbia, MD
Racine, WI
Syracuse, NY
Boulder, CO
Lake Tahoe, CA
Seattle, WA
Del Mar, CA
Bloomington, MN

Contact Iron Girl at info@irongirl.com to learn more/apply!

(This is a great company to partner with!)

1 River March 29, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Yuum, I feel like sushi now!

That glass is huuuge, good value!
River recently posted..47 – Roadtrip!

2 Rachel March 29, 2011 at 10:37 pm

You liked Samurai Blue? Eric and I ate there and were not fans of the food or service. The restaurant itself is super cute though!

3 Jessica March 29, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I’m not gonna lie, I’m slightly jealous of all these places you’re finding in Tampa! I found it to be very local centered and did not have the access to people like you do! I’ll just have to visit all these coffee shops when I go back!

p.s. I think you did awesome on the water 🙂

4 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 29, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Now I need some sushi 😉
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Life Is Like A Long Run

5 Dori March 29, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Sushi looks amazing, bread pudding looks even better.
Dori recently posted..At Which Everyone Pays Attention to Dori

6 Krissy - Shiawase Life March 29, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I love sushi, but DIZZAMN that tea looks amazing!
Krissy – Shiawase Life recently posted..Jambaaaaaa!

7 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat March 29, 2011 at 10:53 pm

So jealous of your tea! I love any tea with coconut and that tall icy glass of that tea looks delicious!

8 Sana March 29, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Sushiiiii! I love love sushi!
Sana recently posted..The Glam Life

9 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 29, 2011 at 11:00 pm

That Coconut Truffle Tea sounds absolutely divine!

10 Jackie March 29, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Hey, I recognize that website on your open laptop … it’s katywidrick.com! Hee!

Great, now I have a huge craving for sushi, too. Those rolls look amazing.
Jackie recently posted..Hangin’ Tough at the Winter Park Road Race 10K

11 Krystina (Organically Me) March 29, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I love Ybor! It’s so quaint.

12 Faith @ lovelyascharged March 29, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Get this: last summer, when I was teaching 3rd and 4th graders, my counselor scheduled our class to go on a field trip to Ybor. Seriously???!!?! Can you just imagine a group of kids running around Ybor? In the afternoon, sure, but still…I had NO idea what to “teach” them (although I had quite a few lessons I learned myself in Ybor, but parents probably didnt need me teaching their kid that just because I can shoot whiskey doesn’t mean I always should…haha)
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..One Hell of a Monday

13 natalie @ http://healthybalancingact.blogspot.com/ March 29, 2011 at 11:10 pm

sounds like the perfect day to me! sushi and tea are my favourite things!
natalie @ http://healthybalancingact.blogspot.com/ recently posted..Frightening Foods

14 Ashley March 29, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I saw the show! It was great I think you’re really getting the hang of it and that venue looked awesome.
I feel guilty sometimes when I bring food too.
I’m in love with that sushi place, it looks perfect. The blue is gorgeous.
Ashley recently posted..Crash and Burn

15 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 30, 2011 at 12:03 am

That first sushi roll looks rockin! And thanks for the irongirl info 🙂

16 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 30, 2011 at 12:18 am

Your self control is amazing. If I had ordered that bread pudding it would be gone in a flash!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

17 Angela March 30, 2011 at 12:50 am

sushi wrapped with cucumber sounds amazing!!! my mouth was watering readin this post.
Angela recently posted..What’s a Boiled Peanut

18 Khushboo March 30, 2011 at 3:25 am

Holy yum- coconut truffle tea! That sounds divine- was it sweetened?? And nuts in sushi? Errr why haven’t I thought of this before! We need to go for sushi together, clearly we share similar taste buds!
Khushboo recently posted..Antioxidants on steroids

19 Grace March 30, 2011 at 4:07 am

I’m curious about this ambassador stuff for Athleta Iron girl is all about. I live close to Bloomington, MN. What does it involve??? I don’t have a blog or anything like that. Is that a requirement?

20 Leanne@Coffee&Claptrap March 30, 2011 at 5:37 am

Oh man, I could really give my left arm for some sushi right now!
Leanne@Coffee&Claptrap recently posted..Let’s play a game of Bullshit shall we

21 Lauren March 30, 2011 at 6:57 am

That sushi looks awesome!!! So glad you got to enjoy some good sushi and kill that craving.
Lauren recently posted..How I Wake Up to Work Out

22 Hannah @ Healthy Life Whip March 30, 2011 at 7:00 am

There’s no sushi place near me, it looks great! I love the rustic walls.

23 katie March 30, 2011 at 7:10 am

The sushi looks amazing! Mike and I were going to get sushi this Friday for date night but I told him we should do different, now I might need to do sushi! I love it!!
katie recently posted..Meatless and Meatness

24 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) March 30, 2011 at 7:16 am

I always drink iced drinks *so* much faster than hot, especially when I have a straw. That one is pretty massive, though, so maybe not!
Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) recently posted..Good Food- Good Friends

25 Holly @ The Runny Egg March 30, 2011 at 7:33 am

That coffee shop looks adorable — and I would love a big iced tea just like that. How refreshing!

And that sushi place? The brick + blue floor is really cool!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Welcome to The Runny Egg!

26 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East March 30, 2011 at 7:43 am

That tea looks delicious and the coffee shop is so cute!

I’m craving sushi now after seeing your delicious rolls! YUM!
Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East recently posted..Homemade Cheese

27 Hope March 30, 2011 at 8:33 am

You are lucky that you live near so many cute tea and coffee houses! I’m jealous! The tea is huge and looks refreshing! All of that sushi looks amazing! I haven’t had that much of sushi. I would definitely like to try it again. I went to Ybor City a really long time ago. I remember eating dinner at a pizza place. I cannot remember what it was called for the life of me. It was literally the best pizza I ever had! I wonder if it’s still there.
Hope recently posted..A Chance to Settle…

28 Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) March 30, 2011 at 9:17 am

That tea looks so refreshing! I wish we had a tea house in Gastonia 🙂

And that bread pudding looks like it was worth the purchase! Noommmmnomnomm.
Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) recently posted..No Turning Back

29 Lucy @ The Sweet Touch March 30, 2011 at 9:21 am

That Hawaiian roll looks amaze!

Mmmm, I’ve been craving sushi like crazy, maybe I will have to do something about that soon!
Lucy @ The Sweet Touch recently posted..Devils Food White-Out Cake

30 Amy March 30, 2011 at 10:02 am

It’s a shame the manager made you felt pressured to buy something else at the tea shop. I know a lot of people think Starbucks is evil, but at least i have never felt obligated to purchase more than i wanted in order to stay at the establishment. To me a purchase is a purchase-there should be no mimimum.

31 marie March 30, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Minimum purchase has nothing to do with it. It is RUDE to bring your own food into a restaurant. Free WIFI and a casual atmosphere doesn’t mean you can just set up your own little picnic. It’s also a health code violation in many states.
marie recently posted..maybe I’m not at all down and out

32 Lindsey March 30, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I just had to chime in. Bringing your own food to a restaurant/cafe/coffee shop is completely rude and inappropriate. If you go somewhere and don’t want to eat, I would say that’s fine. But once you start eating your own food it’s not.

33 Aimee March 30, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I think if someone sits in another’s place of business for 3+ hours, they sure as heck should buy something! I’d go so far as to say a, what, $2.50 at most iced tea is not nearly enough.

And the bringing the food thing in irks me, too. Where I live it’s a violation of state health code– not to mention basic manners. Replace the apple with an order of fries from McDonald’s or something and you’d be lucky to not get kicked out!

Would you sit in a fine dining establishment for over 3 hours and only order an iced tea? Probably not, right? So why is it okay to do it at a small cafe/tea shop?

34 Little Bookworm March 30, 2011 at 11:12 am

Great new episode of Meals and Miles! Looks like you had great time. 🙂
Little Bookworm recently posted..Perfect Porridge and Seven Facts

35 Emily March 30, 2011 at 11:17 am

Never have I ever seen sushi that looked as delicious as that. Hawaiian roll?! Heavenly!!

36 Angie (Losing It and Loving It) March 30, 2011 at 11:24 am

Love the episodes of Meals & Miles, look forward to them every week even if I’m not in FL. Makes me want to be that is for sure.

The sushi dinner looks divine. Two more days until my b-day and our big sushi dinner. Yum!
Angie (Losing It and Loving It) recently posted..ABC’s About Me

37 Marg March 30, 2011 at 12:16 pm

You did a great job for your first time wakeboarding! I just went out last weekend for the first time this year and can’t wait until the next time I go. They say it’s also a bit harder at a cable park vs. behind a boat.

38 Lauren March 30, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Aww I love Ybor. Miss it! The sushi looks amazing.

39 Katie G. March 30, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Thanks for the Athleta/Iron Girl info! I will actually be participating in the Iron Girl Triathlon in Columbia, MD and would SO be interested in this opportunity as I am a HUGE Atleta fan! *fingers crossed*
Katie G. recently posted..ChChChChanges

40 Katie March 30, 2011 at 1:43 pm

That sushi looks amazing 🙂 Also love your scarf you wore in the picture for dinner!
Katie recently posted..Dont Count on Seeing This Again

41 Alaina March 30, 2011 at 4:09 pm

That sushi looks amazing!! Especially the Hawaiian roll. I’m just getting into sushi. We have some good places here in Boston.
Alaina recently posted..Knee Slapper

42 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston March 30, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Meghann! Just watched your video — keep your arms straight! Lol I was screaming at the screen because you would bend your arms and then kerpulk! Anywhooooooo just a tip in case you have the opportunity to go back!!
Katie @ Healthy Heddleston recently posted..Turtle Cheesecake Recipe Makeover

43 Sarah K March 30, 2011 at 11:39 pm

That sushi looks so good right now
Sarah K recently posted..Blog World

44 Kiran March 31, 2011 at 12:44 am

I have a huge craving for sushi now 😀
Kiran recently posted..Failed brownies

45 CampingGirl March 31, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I love sushi and don’t eat it nearly enough. Anything tempura is delicious!
CampingGirl recently posted..I Won A Yoplait Prize Pack!