An Afternoon at the Dog Park

by Meghann on March 27, 2011

I lied. It was way too pretty to stay inside this afternoon. πŸ™‚

Derek and I managed to turn the TV off just long enough to take Maddie to a local dog park and soak up some sun. It was a tough sell, but all the sunshine won us over.

Before we left I made us smoothies with frozen strawberries, pineapple, chocolate protein powder, milk, and yogurt.

In to-go cups for easy on the road consumption. πŸ™‚

IMG_0489.jpg

The dog park came highly recommended by Derek’s brother, Tyler. It had a little beach for the dogs to swim (well, dogs who like to swim) and plenty of grass and sand to run around in.

Maddie is a bit of a loner at dog parks, but she always has a blast running circles on her own.

And following Derek’s every move.

IMG_0522.jpg IMG_0524.jpg IMG_0525.jpg

That is, until he threatens to bring her in the water.

She

Does

Not

That.

Poor Maddie. She just wants to stay on dry land. Is that too much to ask? πŸ˜‰

We had fun at the park, but it’s a little far to visit on a regular basis. There’s a couple of more we want to try in the area. All of them on islands and all of them by the water. Why do we have those requirements when Maddie is so scared of the water? I have no clue.

Oh, yeah. Because we want to enjoy the view too! πŸ™‚

I had a special treat when we returned home…

Derek made dinner!!! I had some work I needed to get done, so I encouraged Derek to show off his skills while I typed away at the computer.

Before I moved in, Derek had a regular rotation of a handful of dinner items he knew how to make well. One of those specialties were black beans and yellow rice. (easily one of his favorite meals of all time).

He knew exactly what he was doing and any time I tried to intervene he would push me out of the kitchen. I felt so useless, but it was worth it! Derek did a fabulous job. πŸ™‚

Derek also heated up some Chorizo Sausage on the stove top. The Chorizo was spicy and went really well with the black beans and yellow rice.

Some microwave steamed brussels sprouts finished off the plate.

Great job babe! πŸ™‚

For dessert I had a serving of Cookie Dough Ice Cream with two Thin Mints.

I have a bit of work to finish up before heading to bed.

Good Night!

1 Kaitlin March 27, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Looks gorgeous out! Great that you got outside πŸ™‚
Kaitlin recently posted..National Half Marathon Recap

2 Holly @ The Runny Egg March 27, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I am super jealous of that beautiful weather!

Poor Maddie — I don’t like being in water either, so I feel her pain πŸ™‚
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Welcome to The Runny Egg!

3 Kacy March 27, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Yay for having a yummy meal that you didn’t have to cook!
Kacy recently posted..The search continues

4 Mimi March 27, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Yay, bookmarking this as an “easy to convert from veg to meat” meal!
Mimi recently posted..My vegetarianism

5 River March 27, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Those smoothies look good, I like the cups…I think I need to get some like that.
River recently posted..47 – Roadtrip!

6 Karolina March 27, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Looks like an awesome day-and I love rice & beans too! Delicious!
Karolina recently posted..Sometimes Courage Is the Quiet Voice

7 ShirtlessBen March 27, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Just letting you know Meghann I miss not being able to drive to Orlando and see you. Is it alright if me and Ashley come and visit you guys next weekend. Do you think Tampa has a rock wall gym we can go to?

8 Sana March 27, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Food always tastes better when it’s made by a mannnn!

9 Jessica March 27, 2011 at 9:55 pm

There’s a dog park at Al Lopez park on Himes just south of Hillsborough and it’s not near water lol. They have a special one for small dogs and a big one too… and it’s a huge park with playgrounds and running trails- they have races there too! When I lived there we took our dogs all the time and they loved it! Have a great week πŸ™‚

10 Ashley March 27, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Aw poor Maddie. The food looks great, and I’m so jealous of your day. Send some sunshine up to North Carolina please!

11 Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) March 27, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Yellow rice was one of my favorite meals as a kid. My mom would put chili on top of it, nomnomnom πŸ˜€

Looks like a fun time at the dog park! Except for the water, hehe. My dog sits by my side the whole time too. She just kind of stares at the other dogs like “You guys are weird”. I like to think that she is at least getting “socialized” haha!
Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) recently posted..No Turning Back

12 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 27, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Yay for boys cooking dinner!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

13 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 27, 2011 at 10:10 pm

what a great dinner! That’s inspiring me for tomorrow night! Also, that dog park looks like so much fun! it makes me want to go give myself a walk in this sunny New Zealand weather!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Dominion Road School

14 Nicole March 27, 2011 at 10:31 pm

So jealous you’re able to wear summer dresses, it still feels like winter in NYC πŸ™

15 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 27, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Great job Derek πŸ˜‰
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Long Run Preparation

16 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 27, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Aw cute! I love bringing my dog to the park. I`ve never brought her to the beach though. I think she`d LOVE it!

17 Angela March 27, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Mean Derek! Bella is the complete opposite. She loves the water. I wish the dog park was closer though; its a 45 minute drive!
Angela recently posted..What’s a Boiled Peanut

18 Emily @ Savory and Savage March 27, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Derek made a great looking dinner!

Poor Maddie (( My dogs hate the water too.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Egg drop soup with turkey and corn

19 Krista @ Journey to a Healthy Berg March 27, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I’m so jealous of your warm weather down in Florida πŸ™
Krista @ Journey to a Healthy Berg recently posted..Sweat- Sushi and Saki

20 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 27, 2011 at 11:23 pm

mmmmm I had ice cream tonight too!! yumm πŸ™‚

21 Allison @ thesundayflog March 27, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Ummm my boyfriend is from Tampa and his signature dish is yellow rice and black beans!! Haha coincidence?? Your photos make me miss the Florida sunshine! (we live in Philly now)

22 Alaina March 27, 2011 at 11:32 pm

That sunshine looks so nice! I can’t wait until summer get here! πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Knee Slapper

23 erica March 28, 2011 at 12:03 am

i wish there was a dog park w/adjacent beach here! i think my dog would enjoy that. hahaha loved all the pics of maddie hating the water ;p
erica recently posted..quarter-year check-in

24 Amy March 28, 2011 at 12:13 am

Ahhh poor Maddie! You werent kidding about her dislike of water haha!
Amy recently posted..Hell on earth…

25 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 28, 2011 at 12:23 am

I definitely would not mind having a guy cook for me πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

26 Kelli March 28, 2011 at 12:47 am

Dinner looks delish! Chorizo is one of the few things I’ve missed since I’ve started eating a mostly meatless diet πŸ™
Kelli (Baker on the Run) recently posted…Baker on the Run

27 Khushboo March 28, 2011 at 1:09 am

Wow that dinner looks incredible! Tell me I’m not the only one salivating at the computer screen. And don’t even get me started on dessert- choc chip cookie dough is hands-down my favorite flavor!
Khushboo recently posted..Antioxidants on steroids

28 Faith @ lovelyascharged March 28, 2011 at 8:02 am

You were so right about the weather – I took Haley to a dog park too (with the coach and his husky). Ours had a lake but my dog was such a scaredy-cat, she wouldn’t get in past her knees (and even that was after a load of coercing!)
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Berry Cheesecake Oats

29 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life March 28, 2011 at 8:11 am

How fun–I miss the warm sunshine!
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..Giveaway- Zabars Chocolate!

30 Hope March 28, 2011 at 8:48 am

It looks like a beautiful day outside! I wish we had warm weather here in PA!

Dinner looks great! I love brussels sprouts. They are so good! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..A Chance to Settle…

31 kalli March 28, 2011 at 8:55 am

Pepsi (our lab) is the same way at dog parks. she would rather run around on her own than hang with the other dogs…….very strange if you ask me! looks like a great afternoon and dinnner πŸ™‚
kalli recently posted..Good to Great

32 Lauren March 28, 2011 at 9:27 am

the weather looks gorgeous! i wish new york city would take a hint…
Lauren recently posted..Mandolin Heroes

33 Natalie March 28, 2011 at 9:39 am

So jealous that your dog park has a beach! My dog (a golden) would be in heaven…she is a water dog, for sure.

34 Kate March 28, 2011 at 11:37 am

That dog park reminded me of Marley & Me and I just LOL’d at work haha.

35 Brittney March 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm

My dog hates water too! I have actually yet to ever take him to a dog park! I’m too scared that another dog will attack him and he’s so little and helpless! I know I’m paranoid!! That dog park looks awesome being near the water. Very cool!
Brittney recently posted..Social Blogger

36 Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. March 28, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Nice. Which dog park? Davis Island?
Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. recently posted..Tabbouleh Salad

37 Meghann March 28, 2011 at 2:44 pm

We want to check out the Davis Island dog park next. This was Picnic Park (I think) south of MacDill. It was sort of sketchy getting out there.

38 Carolyn H. March 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I think the sketchy part is a trend of Tampa. πŸ˜‰ It sure looked pretty though. I haven’t been to that one!