The Couches are Here

by Meghann on March 25, 2011

In case there was any doubt – Maddie does NOT like delivery people. From the time they first knocked on the door, to a good 10 minutes after they left she couldn’t sit straight. She was all bark – running in circles like a mad dog.

This is her safe spot.

And where she decided to stay a full 30 minutes after they left. It took her a good while before she was even comfortable with getting near the new couches. Maddie isn’t good with change, it takes her a minute to adjust.

No need to fear my dear. Change is good. I mean, aren’t these couches beautiful. πŸ™‚

(Yes, the cushions were flipped. I’ve since flipped them back. πŸ™‚

It’s a long story, but Derek and I have been having a little mini debate on how the couches should look. I was all for the chair against against the patio wall, but he was never a fan. I requested that the delivery men set it up as such to get a good look at it.

I loved the open floor plan, but the chair didn’t exactly fit in the spot. I gave it a few minutes, then decided to move the chair over to how Derek wanted it.

I didn’t like this look either. The chair closed the living room off and threw off the open floor plan. I gave this look a few minutes and then switched it back to how it was originally. I couldn’t decide which one I preferred and wanted to wait until Derek for home to make the final decision.

I made a yogurt bowl with Uncle Sam’s Cereal and Strawberries and waited.

Yogurt bowls make great snacks, πŸ™‚

By the time Derek made it home, we were both tired, cranky, and ready to nitpick. Somehow the whole couch layout debacle turned into a bigger argument than it should have been. For the first time since we’ve moved in together, we both had different opinions on how the couches should be.

In the end, Derek did his own arrangement of the couches and preferred the #2 set up (I liked option #1). At that point I was tired of arguing and didn’t care anymore. I’ve made so many changes to the condo and if having the couch and chair in layout #2 made him happy, then so be it.

It does work this way. I just wish we had at least some natural light to get a better photo. I would kill for some skylights or even a window right now! πŸ™‚

There’s still some work to get done, but at least having the couches in place gives an outline for how we should proceed.

Take this starburst mirror for instance. Thoughts?

Any volunteers in the area want to come over and tell me what to do next? Anyone?

The heated couch debate required a beer.

IMG_0201.jpg

And comfort food for dinner.

Homemade Chicken Nuggets with Potatoes and Broccoli.

Now, that’s the world’s perfect kid’s meal if I’ve ever seen one. πŸ™‚

The chicken nuggets were really simple. I just took two boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cut them into bites size pieces. In one bowl I mixed two eggs and milk. In another I combined whole wheat flour with wheat bran, salt, and pepper. The chicken was dunked in the egg bath, coated with the flour mixture, and baked at 375 for 15 minutes.

The nuggets really were a comfort food. I’m pretty sure we are never too old for chicken nuggets. πŸ™‚

I had potatoes to go with the chicken, but didn’t have enough time to roast them. Instead I boiled them until they were soft (less than 10 minutes) and seasoned them with salt and pepper.

Frozen broccoli in a steam bag made for a really easy final side.

Derek and I went on a pillow hunt after dinner (the ones that came with the couch are NOT staying), but only had time to hit up Target and didn’t see anything we liked. Maybe if I have time tomorrow I’ll hit up Homegoods. If not, there’s always Sunday. πŸ™‚

While we were out we stopped at Yogurt Mountain for Frozen Yogurt.

I loaded up with all my favorites: Peanut Butter, Expresso, Cake Batter, and Cookies & Cream.

Plus, a topping or two. πŸ˜‰

GO NOLES!!!

Time to root on my team!

Good Night!

1 LindzGreerIndy March 25, 2011 at 11:07 pm

It’s amazing how disagreements about the most ridiculous things can blow up into something huge! I’m with you on being partial to option 1, but I think the way it’s set up now looks good, too. Good luck finding pillows…that was the thing that took me the longest!

2 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 25, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I actually like where the couches are now….I think it makes the room look like it is its own room without cutting out the patio and natural light. I really love the color of the couches with the walls!! P.s. I am off to make a yogurt bowl myself πŸ™‚

3 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 25, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I love the couches! Sorry that they created an argument πŸ™
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

4 Rachel A March 25, 2011 at 11:11 pm

You’re smart to choose your battles. It’s taken me a long time to figure that one out. He’ll eventually figure out that you’re right after all! The mirror is cute, but I think you need something bigger over the couch so it’s more to scale.

5 Dynamics March 25, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Looks great. Try turning the chair at an angle to open it up a bit. I love, love the mirror. I agree with Rachel.

6 Sarah March 25, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I love Yogurt Mountain! I think they have the best toppings. And I love the name…it definitely describes my ideal froyo portion. Too bad there are none up where I live. We do have a Razzyfresh that opened just a block from my apartment…uh oh.

7 Bethany March 25, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Hi I’m an interior designer. My thought would be Maybe you could put the tv in the opposite corner (staple the cable around) where the lamp is, Get a corner stand, move the big couch against the wall where the tv is now and take the single seat at an angle against the opposite wall to keep the space open.

8 Lauren (Neeps and Taters) March 25, 2011 at 11:27 pm

This title reminded me of that nonsense Jersey Shore!!
“THE CABS ARE HEEERE!”

And the furniture is beautiful πŸ™‚
Lauren (Neeps and Taters) recently posted..tattoos &amp zucchini blossom

9 Mom March 25, 2011 at 11:30 pm

lookin good. was hoping to see it myself tonite

10 Alyssa March 25, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I like where the couches are (which look great by the way). I think it’s the best option and there isn’t really any other way to arrange them to have access to the patio (which is probably more functional than having an open space between the living room and the kitchen. I like the mirror, but it seems kind of random to be over the couch, I think because it’s square and the couch is rectangular. Just my opinion, it’s your guys’ home after all πŸ™‚

11 Aimee March 25, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Random suggestion but could you do the couch at a little angle (like the long side of a triangle between the short wall beside the patio door and the long one it’s against now) and the chair similarly askew? Seems like that would open up the space a little more but retain the “footprint” of the two pieces that Derek likes. Sorry if that description is confusing it’s hard to explain things w/out a diagram or something!
And I also agree you need something much larger than that mirror for above the couch.
Beer & frozen yogurt are great soothers after a little heated argument πŸ˜‰

12 Sana March 25, 2011 at 11:31 pm

If the couches are your biggest disagreement, you and Derek are fineeee. Personally I like your way πŸ™‚
Sana recently posted..Happy 25!

13 michelle March 25, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I agree with the above comments about something bigger over the couches to fill up the wall space. I’m sure you’ll figure something great out. You could always get a really huge Race Medal rack and line up all your bling there (joke!)
michelle recently posted..How to make one hour count

14 hippierunner March 25, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I hope the frozen yogurt helped clear the argument air! I love adding sour gummy worms to mine too- so yummy.
hippierunner recently posted..Thanks a lot- Dean Karnazes

15 Trish March 25, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I like the chair away from the patio door. And yes, maybe turn it a little to open the space a bit. It’s hard because the furniture is big, especially the chair, and the room is on the smaller side – really makes it harder to figure out where to put stuff. Been there, done that. But just live with it for a bit and give it more thought. I spent a week debating where to put my bed – I debated the pros and cons before finally picking a spot which turned out to be great.

In any case, love it! The couch is lovely. πŸ™‚

And the mirror is nice, but I think something larger over the couch. The mirror doesn’t make enough of a statement – you need “more” there.

16 Alaina March 25, 2011 at 11:37 pm

The couches look great! They look comfortable.

I’m a huge Dog Fish head fan. I love their pumpkin ale and IPA. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Knee Slapper

17 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 25, 2011 at 11:46 pm

The couches look amazing!! The Husband and I always let things turn into larger arguments than they have to. I wish I could tell you what to put above your couch, but the space above my couch has been empty for almost a year. Whoops.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

18 Nicole March 26, 2011 at 12:12 am

The room looks great! Everything came together so well πŸ™‚

19 Elisabeth March 26, 2011 at 12:15 am

What about putting the chair next to the TV, directly across from the couch? Then it can be used for socializing when you have people over, but when it’s just you guys you can use the couch to watch TV, and you won’t feel like room is being overpowered by the large size of the couches. I think it would add a lot more balance. Overall I love the couch style and colour – I still have an old futon that’s been slipcovered, and am dying to get a new couch!!!

20 Maggie March 26, 2011 at 12:19 am

Next step – floor lamps! That room is looking good but is begging for some non-overhead lighting!!!!

21 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 26, 2011 at 1:00 am

froyo solves any dispute πŸ˜‰
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Dominion Road School

22 Karen @ Run Shop Travel March 26, 2011 at 4:42 am

Love the new couches! Mine are very similar (same dark brown) and I also didn’t like the pillows that came with it! Do you have a Costco nearby? They have great microfiber pillows in a couple different colors (mine are army green) that are soft and squishy – very comfortable for laying down/napping…I think they were only like, $9.99 for a 2 pack! Good luck!
Karen @ Run Shop Travel recently posted..Work it Out

23 Laura (Starloz) March 26, 2011 at 4:51 am

oh boy, couches bother me. i like them in the store but it always takes awhile to get used to them at home.
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..I’m on Manual now

24 Roselyn March 26, 2011 at 7:36 am

For what its worth, I like how you had the couch setup. πŸ˜‰ I actually JUST changed my couches around after reading all your tweets about it, and used to have our couches set up to block off the living/dining areas. It is now much more open, and I’m happy. The Hubby thought it looked awkward, but I have to see it all day, so I won. πŸ˜‰
Roselyn recently posted..More Flashback Friday- 2 Years Ago

25 Kara March 26, 2011 at 7:38 am

Gorgeous couches! It probably feels more like “your” (as a couple) home now, and that’s why it’s important to both of you to get it right! I would vote for something bigger over the couch too. Ikea has a great variety of big and affordable canvas prints. We bought one that hangs in 3 pieces and have them together now, but if we want to redecorate we can split them up or scatter them throughout the house. Yay couches — good luck!

26 Julianne March 26, 2011 at 7:47 am

Once you add everything else, it will all come together!

Ikea has lots of pillow covers, which may be cheaper than buying a whole new pillow. You can just reuse the pillows that came with the couch by taking off the covers.

27 Lauren March 26, 2011 at 7:53 am

Oh the joys of cohabiting! My husband and I fight all the time over the decorating. Thankfully, we have a similar style for the most part, but there are a few rooms that I leave up to him. Like the office. It’s a MESS right now and its killing me but I hold my breath because I know he has given me so many of the other rooms to decorate without saying anything. Give and take! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Spring Chaos

28 Carolyn H. March 26, 2011 at 7:55 am

You could still win this one. Give him some time. He might cave for option #1 πŸ˜‰
Carolyn H. recently posted..Ms Lauryn Hill at the Ritz

29 Amy March 26, 2011 at 8:10 am

Hey Meghann! Check out Etsy for some pillow covers, since you already have pillows!

I just bought something similar to this to go with my new yellow/black/grey decor and couldn’t be happier with them! I love that they are so unique!

30 Silvia @ skinny jeans food March 26, 2011 at 8:28 am

Assuming you keep Derek’s option, you could put the little side table between the couch and the chair, and put the lamp on top. It would lighting it up a little bit.
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Rutabaga Fries with Truffle Ketchup

31 steph March 26, 2011 at 8:56 am

From one angle, I like your arrangement better, because his arrangement closes the room. But from another angle, I like his arrangement better. So I’m no help there.

The mirror, however, is too small for the wall. You need to put it on a smaller wall or above a smaller piece of furniture.

32 Holly @ The Runny Egg March 26, 2011 at 9:02 am

Oh geeze — this is where I’m thankful that Jason doesn’t really care about where furniture goes, he lets me make most of those decisions. As long as he an office that he can take care of as he wants, he’s good πŸ™‚

I’m sure once you’re using the living room more you’ll come up with a better plan — I agree that the back of that chair just creates a barrier.

I hate to say it — but could you return the brown chair for something smaller? and maybe in a different print or a lighter color?
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Welcome to The Runny Egg!

33 PhillyGirlRuns March 26, 2011 at 9:04 am

Love the couches and your color scheme! So funny about Maddie…my girl Sophie is the same way. When something is out of place she ALWAYS tells us about it…and challenges whatever it is, like ‘HEY. HEY. HEY. YOU DON’T BELONG THERE. HEY.” I love dogs.

34 MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan March 26, 2011 at 9:16 am

Furniture always looks smaller in the store doesn’t it? I agree with flip-flopping the furniture. I think you’re supposed to have the longest couch on the longest wall, which is where the tv is now. Maybe YHL could help?
MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan recently posted..Eating My Words

35 Kate March 26, 2011 at 9:24 am

They look beautiful! The arrangement is tough, but I think you guys came up with a good plan!

36 Lizzy March 26, 2011 at 9:24 am

I totally know what you are going through. I’m in the process of moving in with my boyfriend and it is fun but stressful. Yesterday we had a little argument about getting rid of my bookcases and patio chairs in leu of buying new ones. Well in the meantime where can I sit outside and store my 6 boxes full of books? I know it will all work out in time. Btw I agree that you need a way bigger piece above the couch. That mirror is totally cute though and would look much better in a different spot. Maybe buy a much bigger version of that mirror? I see them a lot in gordmons for a good price (not sure if you have that store but it’s great for affordable decorating stuff)

37 Duchess of Fork March 26, 2011 at 9:25 am

The couches look great. I know home projects can cause frustration between partners. The only time my husband and I ever argue is when it comes to home decorating. I know you both want to be comfortable in your living space, but the arrangement of the couch certainly isn’t something to lose sleep over. I think you should hang something larger than the star mirror behind the couch. It’s such a big couch…perhaps a bigger mirror? It will open up the room and make it look larger. Check out Kirkland’s or TJ Maxx Home Goods. Good luck!

38 Fallon March 26, 2011 at 9:28 am

The couches are awesome! I think option 2 will be best as well because of how the layout was made. It will be more cozy with it a little closed off. I love the mirror on the wall but I’m afraid it could be too small for that area! You need something a bit larger to open up the area. A HUGE mirror in a fancy frame is always a nice accent and will open up the room a lot more. I also like big pictures with some fancy artwork. They have some really cool ones at World Market.
Fallon recently posted..Strawberry Daiquiri Shortcakes

39 tiffany March 26, 2011 at 9:45 am

i like both options, but try turning both the couch and chair at an angle to open up the space a little more…so neither is parallel with the wall. that way it doesn’t seem so cramped to walk throught the area and towards the door. just an idea!

40 rebecca lustig March 26, 2011 at 9:56 am

the sofas look sooo great! i love choc covered espresso beans in my fro yo, except if I eat them too late , i’ll be up all night ha

Happy Saturday πŸ™‚
Becca

41 Mimi March 26, 2011 at 10:12 am

Man, FSU hangs on like nothing else! Way to go on the win!
Mimi recently posted..My vegetarianism

42 sAm March 26, 2011 at 10:20 am

I am loving watching the room come together! Here’s my 2 cents: put the couch at an angle from the edge of the patio window to the wall, forming a triangle open space behind it (where your lamp can still have a home). Then, put the end table between the couch and chair, with the chair at a complementary angle to the couch. It looks like it would create a very organic traffic flow, rather than the boxy angular flow that’s going on. Quite honestly – the whole thing is coming together so well it’s nice to have lots of options available to change it up!

43 lauren March 26, 2011 at 10:42 am

Hi Meghann,

Natural lighting can be brought in more using mirrors. Perhaps a larger mirror behind the length of the couch? Disclaimer: I am no interior decorator.

44 Jenna{frombostonwithlove} March 26, 2011 at 10:58 am

Love homemade chicken nuggets!! Good luck with the condo stuff… It is stressful. My hubs and I got in a fight about bathroom towel rods last night πŸ˜‰

45 Katherine: Unemployed March 26, 2011 at 1:20 pm

those are impressive nuggets. great job in matching the curtains and sofa
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Iaso

46 [SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. March 26, 2011 at 1:31 pm

It probably makes the most sense how the chair/couch ended up. Nice to have an end table between both, too. Never ever EVER too old for chicken nuggets! πŸ™‚
[SMASH] at Sweat. Style. Swoon. recently posted..SWEAT Brought To You By G For Guilt

47 shelby March 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm

A few honest observations here.

(1) I think you’re over-thinking this. And it makes me sad that you guys are fighting about it. They’re just couches. You’re not going to be bolting them to the floor. You can always move them around later if you change your mind. NBD.

(2) Put yourself in Derek’ shoes. Because honestly, the way you’ve written this, it sounds like you spent all day playing with the furniture (while he was working), then “waited” for him to get home and accosted him about the couches the second he “finally” walked in. I would have been cranky too!

(3) And then you dragged him to Target after dinner to look at pillows? Double cranky. They’re just pillows. It can wait.

(4) I agree that the mirror thingy is too small for the space above the couch. It’s cute though, and would look good on a smaller wall.

(5) You’d have more natural light if you replaced the brown curtains. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but don’t people normally put those sort of blackout curtains in bedrooms? The living room would definitely look brighter and airier with a sheer style curtain.

Anyway. The couches look comfy and I’m sure it’s nice to just have something to sit on!

And please take some time to relax and enjoy the weekend. I know the “nesting” urge is strong and it’s hard to live in a half-decorated home, but if the pillows don’t get replaced right away, it’s not the end of the world. Certainly not worth creating friction in your relationship over.
shelby recently posted..The club can’t even handle me

48 bethany March 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm

agreed agreed agreed. you moved onto derek’s turf, took over his space, called all the shots, and are now picking a fight with him over couches? if you can’t compromise on couches, how are you going to compromise on things that don’t matter? try to relax and enjoy living together. it’s a couch.

49 Meghann March 26, 2011 at 4:48 pm

The dark curtains were at Derek’s request. He likes the room to be dark so we went with dark brown curtains (trust me, I would have preferred sheer light curtains) and Derek came home cranky because the suit shop closed and he wasn’t able to pick up his suit for the wedding. The couch thing was just icing on the cake. Yes, we had an argument, but couples argue. We both wanted to get out of the house, which is where pillow shopping came into play. πŸ™‚

50 Kath March 26, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I don’t want to cause any more trouble, but #1 was definitely the best!!
Kath recently posted..Run For Your Slice

51 britt March 26, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I’d move the couch to the wall the tv is on now, return the chair, move the tv to where the single shelf is on the small wall and buy 2 smaller coordinating chairs (check TJ Maxx, they have a great chair selection) for the current couch wall with a small end table between them.

for the size of the room (my living room is similar size so i’m not knocking it), i think the couch + chair are too big for the space but it can be hard to make those calls until they are in place.

52 sabrina March 27, 2011 at 2:20 pm

If you put the couches on a slight angle (askew) and got rid of one of the end tables, it would open up the room a bit more. Then, remove the sunburst and put something larger to even out the wall space. I think the problem is that the room is narrow and the couch and chair are oversize. You don’t want to block the patio but you also don’t want to close off the open space.

53 River March 27, 2011 at 3:36 pm

The first photo of the couch/armchair looks muuch better. I agree how in the second photo it looks much more closed off, and kind of seems like the chair is in the way.

Otherwise, everything is looking good so far! Good luck for the rest of it, I hope there isn’t too many more arguments! πŸ™‚
River recently posted..47 – Roadtrip!

54 Cheryl Ha March 27, 2011 at 11:32 pm

You could try putting the couch at a slight angle and then putting the chair on an opposing angle and it might fit better without feeling closed off ~ also the tall white lamp could then be put in the void created by the angle of the couch or another taller item to give the room contrast. I like the star burst mirror, just be sure not to hang it too high. People usually end up hanging wall decor too high. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the final results.

55 Cheryl Ha March 27, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Oops, I just noticed that someone else had the same suggestion, but that gives more push to try it. Good luck.

56 Rachel March 28, 2011 at 9:53 am

For wall art behind the couch – i have a similar style condo with a huge wall that my couch sits on – nothing ever seemed big enough or appropriate to put above it – so I went with a collage. You could do the same – lots of small pieces of wall art to fill the larger space. Add more than one mirrored starburst like you have or do a collage of small mirrors.

Honestly, the chair and couch are too big for your living room. I would have went with a chaise/sectional and an over sized ottoman that would double as extra seating.

You could try moving the couch to the other wall if that’s an option? I know in my condo it isn’t. I would also suggest putting a bookshelf/cabinet/some sort of taller piece of furniture along the wall between where your couch is now and the dining room table – it would help break those two rooms up without closing off the space.

When my boyfriend moved in we(he) decided the bed would look better turned along another wall. I did help move it, and agreed it looked better, but I had slept with my bed in one spot for 2 years and was a little resentful that it had moved – it also took me a week to get used to falling asleep facing a new direction. The joys of learning to live with someone else πŸ™‚
Rachel recently posted..25 going on 82

57 Em March 29, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I have that mirror!

My Italian calls it tacky though. In our apartment it lived in the dining room. It hasn’t found a home in our house though. I’m thinking the hallway though.