YHL Inspired

by Meghann on March 24, 2011

As i alluded to in last night’s post, Derek and I had some fun with frames last night.

Last week’s Young House Love post inspired me to create a frame collage in the hallway. Actually the idea was already in my head, they just gave me inspiration on how to execute it. :)

I started by laying out the fames in the pattern I wanted.

Then I created newspaper templates of the frames, so I could easily mimic the pattern on the wall.

Young House Love was pretty brilliant in sharing this tip. The newspaper cutlets allowed me to measure and judge spacing for the frames without poking any holes in the wall. :)

Once the newspaper was set, I just hung the frames directly over the paper.

LOVE. IT.

The original plan was to mix and match all the black frames I already owned, but once the first few were up, I decided to stick with just the Ikea Ribba Frames. I’m heading to Ikea later this afternoon to fill in the missing pieces.

American Signature called me this morning to inform us our couches will be delivered between 12:00 and 3:00 tomorrow. Yippee!!!

Lunch was fun today. :)

I was going to make a regular sandwich, but something about open faced looked more fun. All the pretty colors made me smile. :)

On the bottom: Whole Wheat Sunflower Bread from Greenwise

On top: Mustard, Swiss Cheese, Mixed Greens, Roasted Red Pepper, Almonds

Left over yucca and plantain on the side.

Fun and delicious. :)

I’ll be attending my first ever rehearsal dinner tonight. What does one wear to a rehearsal dinner?!?! Ekkkk!

1 Stacy @ Every Little Thing March 24, 2011 at 1:37 pm

We did a frame wall in our entrance way and it looks awesome! The newspaper thing is genius though…I kept forgetting my pattern! Yours looks great!
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..World Water Day!

2 Dori March 24, 2011 at 1:38 pm

The picture frames look awesome! I never would have thought about the newspaper trick. Impressed with your ability to get it so straight. Your lunch looks delicious as well!
Dori recently posted..At Which Everyone Pays Attention to Dori

3 Jessica March 24, 2011 at 1:40 pm

The wall looks great! I’d wear a sundress, cardigan, and cute sandals… it’s sunny here after all :)

4 Holly @ The Runny Egg March 24, 2011 at 1:41 pm

The frames look beautiful! I love collages like that.

Well since you showed us your closet last week I know that you have a gazillion things to choose from! :)
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Welcome to The Runny Egg!

5 michelle March 24, 2011 at 1:41 pm

That frame idea is really awesome. Might look into doing something similar
michelle recently posted..How to make one hour count

6 Ally March 24, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Rehearsal dinners are usually dependent on where they’re held! I think for my sister’s rehearsal dinner it was in the middle of July so the tone was sundresses for the girls and dress shirt/shoes for the guys.
Ally recently posted..Giuliana- Oh Giuliana

7 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 24, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I love the look of that wall!! Very chic. I have something like it in my room at my parents’ house…having old pictures up always makes me smile!!

Rehearsal dinner is usually a step or two down from the reception attire. But still no white!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Dreams That End in Questions

8 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 24, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Love the collage! I’ve got a bare wall in my living room that I’d love to do something like that with – just need to figure out what I like enough to have framed! have a great afternoon Meghann, and have fun at the rehearsal dinner!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Early Weekend

9 Freya March 24, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Ooh I love it when people hang frames like that! It’s one of the things I want to do (when I win the lottery and can afford to move out) :) Looks awesome!
Freya recently posted..I’m With Stupid

10 Katherine March 24, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I would say it depends on the location of the dinner (someone’s house? fancy restaurant?) but you can’t go wrong with a pretty dress!

11 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun March 24, 2011 at 1:46 pm

That really is a great idea with the newspaper. I need to get in gear with our photos. I haven’t updated the ones in our frames since little M was baby B’s age! Looks like I have tons of pics of my son dressed as a girl all over the house. LOL
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..My Ode To Trader Joe’s

12 Hope March 24, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I love the idea of a collage in the hallway! I was thinking of doing one in my place too. I just haven’t had time to do it yet. I can’t wait to see what you put in the frames! So cool!

I would say a dress and sandals or heels. It really depends on the location but I would most definitely wear something semi-dressy.
Hope recently posted..A New View On The Highway…

13 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy March 24, 2011 at 1:48 pm

A pretty dress and nice sandals should do it – you’ll probably be seeing a lot of parents & relatives so you wanna look nice :)
Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy recently posted..Our Frankenhouse

14 JessicaEn March 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I would go with a classy but casual dress.

15 Carolyn H. March 24, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Rehearsal Dinner… Where is it at? I think a sundress is appropriate for someplace semi-casual.
Carolyn H. recently posted..Ms Lauryn Hill at the Ritz

16 Tara Marie March 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I saw that last week and I loved it! I am moving in with the boyfriend tomorrow (holy crap!!!!) and once I am employed it is one of the first decorating projects we are planning!

17 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 24, 2011 at 2:10 pm

What does yucca taste like? I’m intrigued!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Grocery Shopping On A Budget While Saving The Planet

18 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 24, 2011 at 2:13 pm

That’s a great idea to arrange the newspaper on the wall like that.

19 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 24, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Love that idea! I think I might do that behind my couch with some pictures I take!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..stepping stones

20 kristy @ kristyruns.com March 24, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Love that frame collage idea! Really want to do this!!!
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Meet Your Race Goals

21 Christina March 24, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I loved that trick also! They’re blog is awesome.

Oh and I love love love yucca!! We boil ours then pickle red onions and add it to it.
Christina recently posted..Sometimes simple is the best way to go

22 Katie G. March 24, 2011 at 2:20 pm

The frames look great! I’ve always wanted to do this but never knew how to execute it so that the frames were straight and didn’t turn out looking different than the plan. Love it!!
Katie G. recently posted..Thoughts Tears Tsunami

23 Ashley March 24, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Just dress nicely, a dress is always a good choice, unless they’re having a mud wrestling themed wedding.
I love the collage, and congratulations on your long awaited delivery of couches.

24 Brittney March 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm

LOVE the frame idea!!! You’re so crafty!

25 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa March 24, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Pretty sure I have ALL of those frames on my photo wall too! Now that they have been hanging up for over a year, I suppose it is time to actually put photos in them!!!

26 Kaitlyn Nelson March 24, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I love YHL! They’re so inspirational and crafty. I’m so jealous!
Kaitlyn Nelson recently posted..I know- I know- I’m a giveaway ADDICT But seriously- who

27 Rebecca March 24, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I’m trying to decide if something like this (but bigger and probably with uneven side) would be inappropriate on the wall of the eat-in part of the kitchen. Any readers have thoughts? Everyone seems to mention doing it in a hallway…should I go for something more traditional like a mirror or piece of art instead?

28 Nacho Lindsay March 24, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I would say what you wear to the rehearsal dinner depends on where it is. My wish is to have a giant nacho bar for ours, but Nacho Jonny says no dice…
Nacho Lindsay recently posted..Chili’s- Davenport- IA

29 River March 24, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I love photo frames like that! We can’t put holes in the wall because we rent…but one day!
River recently posted..Books Written in the Present Tense

30 Kacy March 24, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Looks great!
They should have written what the atmosphere was going to be like on the invite. If casual, a casual dress. If it’s cocktail or black tie then a great LBD should work in both circumstances. Have fun!
Kacy recently posted..Finishers!

31 Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) March 24, 2011 at 3:47 pm

What a great idea! I did the same thing, except I poked holes in the wall lol ;)

Your lunch looks pretty and fun! Have fun at IKEA :D I’ve never been but my best friend and I have scheduled a trip for next week! I’m excited!
Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) recently posted..Stacey’s Corner

32 Stacey March 24, 2011 at 3:52 pm

The frames look great! I love YHL for great ideas like this too. I have done some premature wall hole punching in my time so this is a really good tip.
Stacey recently posted..Umbrellas

33 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 24, 2011 at 3:58 pm

My mom did something similar in our hallway. I love the way it looks!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

34 Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted March 24, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Like some other people said I’d dress according to where the rehearsal dinner is being held. Our rehearsal (and ceremony) was in an art gallery and the dinner was at a nearby nice sports bar type place (in a private room) so we certainly welcomed jeans and a nice top. But if the wedding is really swanky I’d wear a dress.
Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted recently posted..Gym Routine

35 Allie March 24, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Your sandwich is so colorful! Yucca sounds really good :) Love the frames set up!
Allie recently posted..Sour

36 Kiran March 24, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Never tasted yucca before, curious :D
Kiran recently posted..I love Mondays

37 Alexa @ Simple Eats March 24, 2011 at 5:12 pm

SUCH an awesome trick with the pictures! I’d probably cross my fingers and hope they’re straight. Have fun at the dinner!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Half Vegan

38 Lucy @ The Sweet Touch March 24, 2011 at 5:21 pm

So pretty, your place is really starting to look like a home:) I really wanna do this leading up our staircase, I think the key is having coordinating frames.

I would say any kind of sundress would be perfect!
Lucy @ The Sweet Touch recently posted..SuperMoonPies!

39 Biz March 24, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Love how your frames turned out – great idea with the newspaper too :D

Have fun at the dinner – depends on where it is for what to wear! :D
Biz recently posted..Where is Spring

40 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 24, 2011 at 6:41 pm

oooh I saw that on YHL too! Such a great way of displaying frames!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Fig Jam Tart wheat free

41 Allison @ OneWhiteTulip March 24, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Rehearsal dinner – depends on where they’re having it! I had mine at a restaurant…I honestly can’t tell you what anybody wore to it. Your bride will not notice, haha!

Can’t go wrong with a cute/casual dress!
Allison @ OneWhiteTulip recently posted..The problem with running

42 LauraJayne March 24, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I’ve been loving reading about your decorating adventures! I can’t wait to see the final version!
LauraJayne recently posted..Dress For Success – Workplace Edition Part Deux

43 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 24, 2011 at 7:18 pm

OKay I LOVE this idea- I have always wondered how people get their frames looking so straight and neat…..now I know- thanks!! It looks awesome :)

44 Christine March 24, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I love the frame trend right now! It’s a little eclectic while still having clean lines and balance.
Christine recently posted..Double or Triple or Quadruple the Pleasure- Double or Triple or Quadruple the Fun!

45 Lauren March 24, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I LOVE it!!!
Lauren recently posted..Spring Chaos

46 Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy March 24, 2011 at 8:47 pm

what a creative idea!!

47 Hilary March 24, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Love the picture frames….and that lunch is pretty and colourful indeed….and I’m sure you found something nice to wear to the dinner. :)
Hilary recently posted..Chinese Fake-Out

48 sarah (sarah learns) March 24, 2011 at 9:52 pm

hooray for couches soon! i love the frame collage!
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..ale asylum

49 Emily @ Savory and Savage March 24, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Great colors in the open face sandwich.

I can’t wait to see how the couches look!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Sauteed fresh Yuba

50 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 24, 2011 at 11:00 pm

YUM i do love me an open-faced sandwich! it’s a fancified bagel!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Dominion Road School

51 Bri March 24, 2011 at 11:36 pm

How do you cook your plantains? And love the collage idea!

52 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food March 25, 2011 at 12:26 am

The frames look awesome! So does your sandwich! :-)
Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food recently posted..Honey Chicken Stir-Fry

53 Khushboo March 25, 2011 at 3:59 am

I prefer open-faced sandwiches, especially as I tend to go OTT with the fillings/veggies! Open-faced sandwiches also last longer- never a bad thing ha!
Khushboo recently posted..Blog turns 1!

54 katy {of} katy loves. March 25, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Yay! You did the picture college. I posted that as a suggestion in one of your earlier posts. Just a fun fact. ;) Great minds think alike! Looks great.
katy {of} katy loves. recently posted..Blogging from a beach chair