Derek’s Second Family

by Meghann on March 24, 2011

Attending my first rehearsal dinner was a success!

At least… I think it was. πŸ˜‰

It was a little weird walking into a room and not knowing anyone (I’ve only met the groom once, never the bride), but this was Derek’s second family growing up and they welcomed me with open arms. I love that. πŸ™‚

The dinner took place at a small cuban restaurant right down the street from us. Derek had to call me on the way over to make sure I didn’t miss it because it was so TINY. Thanks to Derek I was able to find it on the first try.

The tables were scattered with plantain chips when I arrived.

I <3 plantain chips. I must have ate half the plate myself!

From there we had cuban bread

A small salad.

And Lechon Asado with Modoros and Yucca.

(I could only eat half – the portions were huge)

It was fun to spend an evening with Derek and his friends. However, I wish I had retained a little more Spanish from high school and college. I think all being said I’ve taken 9 or 10 years of Spanish in my lifetime and tonight I could only understand a few simple phrases (all the speeches were in spanish). I knew enough to get the general drift of the conversations, but not enough to recall word for word what was said.

Earlier this afternoon I had some apple slices and peanut butter after I returned from Ikea.

And after the dinner I finished off the Strawberry Crumb Cake with some mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Enough excitement for one day. I’m going to bed.

Good Night!

1 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I have never had plantain chips-but they look good! I think rehearsal dinners can be really fun, but might be more so if you can understand the speeches πŸ˜‰ G-night!

2 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 24, 2011 at 11:02 pm

plantain chips, that sounds fun! I love that you always have dessert πŸ™‚ it’s important for your spirit’s health, don’t ya think?
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Dominion Road School

3 Sana March 24, 2011 at 11:03 pm

That is the smallest salad I have ever seen!
Sana recently posted..Happy 25!

4 Amy March 24, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Those plaintain chips look so good! Out of curiousity, what nationality is Derek? Does he speak spanish as well?

5 Meghann March 25, 2011 at 7:37 am

He’s half Honduran. He thinks he can speak Spanish, but deep down I think he knows just as much as I do.

6 Maddie Essig March 24, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Looks YUM!
Does Derek speak Spanish? That would be such a USEFUL skill!
Maddie Essig recently posted..Sad shins and lovely lemons

7 Meghann March 25, 2011 at 7:37 am

He thinks he does πŸ™‚

8 Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. March 24, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Well… what did you wear?
Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. recently posted..Ms Lauryn Hill at the Ritz

9 Meghann March 25, 2011 at 7:37 am

A summer dress and I felt overdressed in that! Everyone was really, really casual!

10 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 25, 2011 at 12:50 am

I totally eat my apples and PB out of mugs sometimes too πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Modesto Half Marathon Recap

11 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 25, 2011 at 1:24 am

I’ve never had plantain chips – they look great though! So glad you had a good time tonight and that you felt welcome!!

12 Alaina March 25, 2011 at 1:24 am

My old job used to have plantain chips in the cafeteria. I ate so many; they are so good! πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Knee Slapper

13 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 25, 2011 at 5:25 am

the plantain chips look great and your part about paying attn in spanish class cracked me up πŸ™‚
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Photo Editing- Before &amp After- Truths &amp Trickery

14 katie March 25, 2011 at 5:53 am

Plantain Chips are so good! I had those at a little cuban dining place once and could not stop eating them, addicting! I always see them at the store but never buy a bag due to my no self control over them ; )

15 Ashley March 25, 2011 at 6:49 am

I took 4 years of spanish in high school and now could barely speak any if I had too!
Ashley recently posted..Three Thing Thursday

16 Hope March 25, 2011 at 8:13 am

I’ve never had plantain chips! They sound really good though. I’m glad that the rehearsal dinner was fun! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..A New View On The Highway…

17 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life March 25, 2011 at 8:13 am

what an interesting meal!
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..Wedding- The Reception

18 Kara March 25, 2011 at 8:32 am

My Spanish skills are limited to what my baby’s toys say (pretty much all the Fisher Price stuff has Spanish now!), even though I took 4 years of Spanish in high school πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..I think I need to rename my blog

19 Kati March 25, 2011 at 8:43 am

I just started reading your blog and I am sad to hear that you moved to Tampa!! I am glad to hear that you come back to Orlando though. Great blog and keep it up, I enjoy reading about your daily adventures.
Kati recently posted..What to write

20 Holly @ The Runny Egg March 25, 2011 at 8:47 am

That food looks delicious!

I have thought about taking Spanish classes because I would love to learn — that is something on my bucket list!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Welcome to The Runny Egg!

21 chloe@ 321delish March 25, 2011 at 9:23 am

have you ever tried the plantain chips from TJ’s….if not, do it. $1.99 for a bag of deliciousness.

22 rebecca lustig March 25, 2011 at 10:25 am

oh i loveeee plantain chips.. and Cuban food in general! havent had it in forever though, Mmm.

Congrats surviving the dinner πŸ˜‰

have a great weekend!

rebecca

23 Elise March 25, 2011 at 1:42 pm

i love plantain chips! when i lived in ecuador, my host grandma used to make them almost everyday after school. and i’d sit in the kitchen and wait patiently, so i could have them fresh out of the pan. sooooooo good.
Elise recently posted..Time to Color!