Meals & Miles Gets Wet

by Meghann on March 23, 2011

Time to celebrate! Another Meals & Miles episode is in the bag!

Today’s secret location?

The Orlando Water Sports Complex (OWC)

How cool is this place? I must have driven by the HUGE water sports complex over a hundred times (it’s hard to miss from 528), but have never wandered inside. After spending a few hours filming today, I’m not sure why I never did. It was awesome.

Basically the complex sits on a huge lake. Three sets of pulley systems pull various wakeboard, knee board, and water ski enthusiast around and around on the separate courses. It’s doing all the fun water sport stuff without the hassle of having to take out a boat.

I grew up up knee boarding at big lakes in Georgia and the Carolinas (Vacation ’09 FLASHBACK!), but have never tried wake boarding before. It was definitely an experience and you’ll have to check out next week’s Meals and Miles episode to see how I did!

We started filming just after 11:00 (I did end up being 15 minutes late πŸ™ ) and didn’t wrap until well after 2:00. By the time we were done I was HANGRY. My breakfast was long out of my system and all I wanted was food!

I got on the interstate with the plan to peruse the Dr. Phillips area for a good sandwich shop. Just as I was driving by the old Pizza Fusion location something caught my eye.

Twisted Burger? When did that go in?

Obviously I had to check it out.

IMG_5302.jpg

The location still has that clean Pizza Fusion look with just a touch of burger flair. I was instantly a fan.

A big appetite required a big burger. The portobello burger with all the trimmings immediately stood out to me.

IMG_5304.jpg

Come to Mama!

The burger was amazing. It was greasy, messy and everything a real burger should be.

Unfortunately a lot of the extra flavors (avocado, onion, tomato) were masked by the heavy cheese. Next time I would order sans the cheese, but I ate it so fast I’m not sure it really mattered.

Bonus points that twisted burger had sweet potato fries.

The meal was served fast and hot. If you’re looking for a good burger place in the Dr. Phillips area I’d suggest you check it out! The name Twisted Burger actually comes from their house specialty – a burger with cheese grilled in the center of the burger. I believe Derek would be a fan of that. πŸ˜‰

Halfway back to Tampa I stopped at Starbucks for a pick me up.

This was a Meghann invention.

IMG_5314.jpg

It’s a Mocha Frappe Light with black tea instead of coffee. They looked at me strange when I ordered it, but I thought it was pretty tasty!

IMG_5317.jpg

Don’t knock it until you try it. πŸ™‚

The drive between Orlando and Tampa gets easier every week. It’s especially easy when you’re only hitting the west side of Orlando. Not having to drive through downtown save a whole lot of time and traffic!

I made it home before Derek got off work and basically crashed in front of the tv. It was at that moment I wish we had a couch to stretch out on. Reclining on a smelly chair that is older than my Mom just isn’t the same. (Derek – I’m not knocking the chair (I know you love it), just saying I won’t be sad to see it go. πŸ˜‰ )

Dinner tonight was easy.

Take a box of frozen ravioli

Bulk up with veggies (kale, eggplant, carrot, and mushrooms) and pasta sauce

Enjoy!

Easy. Peasy.

Strawberry Crumb Cake for dessert.

This. Cake. Is. Awesome. Even the next day when reheated and paired with ice cream. Wow.

Derek and I have a fun project to tackle tonight. (Hint. Hint)

Good Night!

1 RunningOnCoffee March 23, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Your burger & fries look awesome…and very reasonably priced. Any any of those burgers on the menu would easily be $10+ here in NJ! I’ve actually never tried a frappe from sbux…but the tea variety sounds interesting! I’m more of a double shot on ice or nonfat latte kind of girl.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Recap- Training Week 10 Garmin question

2 Anna @ Doing Good and Living Well March 23, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I LOVE avocado (or guac) on a burger. Delicious! And, I definitely prefer sweet potato fries over regular. Yum!

3 Christine @ Bookishly Boisterous March 23, 2011 at 9:23 pm

First of all, that water park looks like so much fun, especially since we’re getting a “winter storm in spring,” according to the news. Secondly, I want your sweet potato fries!

4 Dori March 23, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Yum on the cake. Interesting on the frappe. Awesome on the filming. MMMMMMMM on the burger.
Dori recently posted..At Which Everyone Pays Attention to Dori

5 Hilary March 23, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Looks like a day of good eats….I LOVE burgers!
Hilary recently posted..Bits and Bites

6 Becki March 23, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Be careful with the Frappuccino’s at Starbucks. I know that you are allergic to banana’s, and we use the same blenders to blend the Smoothies as the Frapp’s. Just a heads up! But if you tell the barista, they will (or should) sanitize the pitcher for you before blending. (Just might have to wait a couple extra minutes!)

Excited to see the new episode though! That place looks so fun!

7 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 23, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I love taking ravioli and adding vegetables. Such an easy & filling meal!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..For Japan With Love

8 Kacy March 23, 2011 at 9:40 pm

That park sounds fun and the burger place sounds great.
I want that crumb cake!!
Kacy recently posted..Finishers!

9 Jessica March 23, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Did they just pour their iced black tea into the blender instead? That sounds incredible! I don’t know how you think of these things, but you have never steered me wrong before! (I’m now an avid awake tea latte w/ 1 pump of flavor drinker :))

10 Meghann March 24, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Yep. It took some convincing, but I talked them into it. πŸ™‚

11 River March 23, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Yuum Starbucks.

Is it weird that the second photo of the burger kind of scares me? Looks a bit monster-ish. haha. πŸ™‚
River recently posted..Books Written in the Present Tense

12 Holly @ The Runny Egg March 23, 2011 at 9:59 pm

That burger looks incredible — and I love places that offer sweet potato fries!

You have the funnest job in the world, right? πŸ™‚
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Back to Normal Life

13 Kaitlin March 23, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Awesome! I love water skiing and wake boarding. That burger looks FANTASTIC. Super jealous!
Kaitlin recently posted..FB- My First Half Marathon

14 Krystina (Organically Me) March 23, 2011 at 10:08 pm

So that’s what got put in Pizza Fusion’s spot? I must admit, I miss Pizza Fusion, but I’ll have to check that place out!

15 Rachel March 23, 2011 at 10:11 pm

My parents live south of Orlando, and every time I visit them I pass this place on the way to and from the airport. And I always think to myself – what IS that place?! So now I know! I will definitely check out next week’s Meals and Miles episode to learn more.

16 Rachel March 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Er, wait, maybe they live north of Orlando? Either way, I immediately recognized the place!

17 Erica March 23, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I’m working on a YHL style gallery wall too! Got cheapo dollar store frames in varying sizes/colours and am painting them. Not sure if I’m going with white or black yet… Can’t wait to see pics of what you come up with!! πŸ™‚

18 Meghann March 24, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Let me know how yours comes out!

19 Brittney March 23, 2011 at 10:22 pm

That burger place was really cute! I love your Meals and Miles show. I wish there were places like that around here.

20 Julie @ Wearing Mascara March 23, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Looks like a fun day! I love the price of that burger too… very cheap yet tasty!
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..Bikram 60-Day Challenge Results

21 Sarah March 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm

oh wow that burger looks and sounds AWESOME!
I think im going to go ahead and make that strawberry cake it just sounds better and better!
Sarah recently posted..Donut Day

22 Katy (The Singing Runner) March 23, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Looks like a fun day! πŸ˜€
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Single And Ready To Mingle

23 Kiran March 23, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I am always around Dr Phillips area, and never once saw Twisted Burger. A must try now πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..I love Mondays

24 Meghann March 24, 2011 at 2:15 pm

It just opened 2 weeks ago!

25 Mac March 23, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Aww sweet potato fries! I like that more places up north are serving them, but I wish all places would have it as an option!
Mac recently posted..Back to the HP Lab

26 Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted March 24, 2011 at 12:10 am

That pulley system is neat! And I’ll take an order of those fries πŸ™‚

27 Alaina March 24, 2011 at 12:29 am

That burger does look awesome! There are some new burger places that went up in Boston and I can’t wait to try them out. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Knee Slapper

28 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 24, 2011 at 12:37 am

I heart sweet potato fries!!! And I want to go to that water complex- that looks rockin’!!

29 Laura (Starloz) March 24, 2011 at 12:45 am

i’m always going sans cheese on a burger, you never know how cheese obsessed the burger maker is.
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..Time is lost

30 Marina March 24, 2011 at 2:17 am

can’t wait to see that episode!
Mhm, burger. Now I want one
Marina recently posted..state of calm

31 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] March 24, 2011 at 4:16 am

Those sweet potato fries look so good!!!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..Place Jamaa el-Fna

32 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 24, 2011 at 5:02 am

that Ravioli looks AMAZING! ravioli is probably my favorite food, but since i am trying to cut out dairy, a walnut-squash concoction sounds great!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Dominion Road School

33 Dina March 24, 2011 at 6:18 am

When did Pizza Fusion close? I really liked place and only was able to eat there a few times.
Dina recently posted..Date Night and a long run

34 Meghann March 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm

It was just the one in Orlando that closed and I believe they closed sometime late summer or early fall.

35 Lauren March 24, 2011 at 6:53 am

Such a great day! I have to say, I’m a little envious of the tank tops and sunshine. We had snow here!! πŸ™ Ugh, I need to move to Florida.
Lauren recently posted..Spring Chaos

36 Ashley March 24, 2011 at 7:37 am

Fun project! I can’ t wait to see it. The water complex looks fun too, I’ve never heard of anything like that before. I’m a huge fan of tubing!

37 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 24, 2011 at 8:22 am

I’ve never done any boarding before. I’m hoping to go in Lake Michigan sometime this summer.

38 Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) March 24, 2011 at 8:25 am

When I was a vegetarian, I felt like cheese masked a lot of flavors too.
And yeah, sweet tater fries! Woo hoo! Those are the BEST side to have with a burger πŸ™‚
Good luck on your project!! πŸ˜‰
When Jason and I moved in together, he didn’t even have a couch! All he had were these chairs that have speakers on the side. They were black, leather and low to the ground. I think they were made for PS3 Gamers or something. If we wanted to cuddle we had to scoot them together, but they were also rocking chairs so that didn’t work out too well. Haha
Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) recently posted..Stacey’s Corner

39 Hope March 24, 2011 at 8:35 am

That burger looks incredible! Sweet potato fries are my absolute favorite! πŸ™‚

I can’t wait to see your project!

40 Anne P March 24, 2011 at 8:38 am

Omg so jealous of that outdoor water play place! I want to go!!!

41 Meghann March 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Come to Florida again and I’ll take you!

42 Anne P March 24, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Deal. πŸ™‚

43 Beth @ DiningAndDishing March 24, 2011 at 9:46 am

Sweet potato fries are the ultimate. I’m not huge into fries but cannot resist the sweet potato kind! Those look fantastic :).
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..SAAM 3- Homemade Hummus

44 Marg March 24, 2011 at 10:33 am

Can’t wait to see this one! We’re on the lake close to every weekend wakeboarding. I don’t ride that much anymore, but it’s my goal to start going more this summer and hopefully jump the wake.

45 Sherry March 24, 2011 at 10:33 am

Ewww gross. . . clean your nails.

46 Lauren (Neeps and Taters) March 24, 2011 at 10:58 am

That burger looks ridiculously amazing.

I have never kneeboarded, but I think I’d be scared to try it!!
Lauren (Neeps and Taters) recently posted..tattoos &amp zucchini blossom

47 Erin March 24, 2011 at 11:46 am

I just licked my computer…That “burger” looks amazing.
Erin recently posted..Mmmmm

48 kate March 24, 2011 at 11:49 am

That water complex looks like such a fun time! Things like that make me seriously reconsider why I live so far away from water!
kate recently posted..Why is yoga so expensive

49 Nicole March 24, 2011 at 12:08 pm

That burger looks delicous. I live in the wrong city…
Tubing wars… hilarious and the best thing ever!

50 Karen @Tamalegirl March 24, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I LOVE that brand of ravioli! I wish I could remember which are my favorites, but that one is awesome too. They used to have one with merlot pasta that was awesome (and it was pink!), but I can’t find it anymore. I love the idea of adding the veggies.

51 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep March 25, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Pizza Fusion closed?!?! This saddens me a great deal.
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Nage