Strawberry Crumb Cake

by Meghann on March 22, 2011

Question.

Is it possible to bake without making a mess?

Or is it just me? πŸ˜‰

At least the mess was well deserved.

Hello, Beautiful!

A commenter had recommended this Strawberry Crumb Cake Recipe from YumSugar yesterday and – wow- I’m so glad she did.

The crumb cake was more of an upside down strawberry cake. The strawberries swam in thick strawberry syrup on the bottom and the cake baked thick and evenly on the top.

I took liberty in halving the recipe and made some minor changes here and there. Luckily my ‘minor changes’ worked (that never happens for me!) and the piece I enjoyed wasn’t just edible – it was delicious!

So. Good.

I highly recommend anyone with a surplus of strawberries, like myself, to try this recipe right now. And don’t worry if you don’t have buttermilk – vanilla yogurt worked just fine! πŸ˜‰

The cake served as dessert for the evening and a plate of fish, plantains, and yucca made up my dinner.

The Kinglip Fillets were on sale at Publix this week. It’s a mild flavored, white fish that I seasoned with a Goya seasoning mix and pan fried on the stove top.

I gave the meal a spanish flair by steaming yucca on the side

And pan frying plantains.

All that was missing was some Cuban bread and black beans.

The yucca + cake left my belly really full.

And my head sleepy.

Must. Keep. Eyes. Open.

Did everyone check out my latest episode of Meals & Miles on IzonOrlando.com ?

Screen shot 2011-03-22 at 9.12.33 PM.png

I had to cover my eyes for some parts, but I thought the team did an awesome job with editing!! It made me excited to film at another awesome location tomorrow. Can’t wait!

1 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 22, 2011 at 9:18 pm

My parents fly in tomorrow and are visiting us for 5 days – I’m thinking this crumb cake needs to be on the menu! πŸ™‚
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..For Japan With Love

2 Shanna, like Banana March 22, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Um yes, I want that right now! Put the name “crumb” in and I will gobble it up!
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Closet Giveaway- Blue Crossbody Purse

3 Kaitlin March 22, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I wish I had a surplus of strawberries!! Looks delicious.
Kaitlin recently posted..12 Hard Miles

4 Katie @ running4cupcakes March 22, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I always make a huge mess when baking! If someone could invent a way to bake without making a mess – they would be rich! πŸ˜‰ Those plantains looked yummy too – I have never pan fried them before, I’ll have to try it soon.
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Home!

5 D March 22, 2011 at 9:37 pm

You had two pieces of plantain…?!

6 emily March 22, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I can’t tell what this emotion/reaction this comment is supposed to represent. I’m going to assume -excitement- since any other reaction is sort of strange. Going off that assumption….

If you like fried plantains you should check the freezer aisle (or “ethnic” aisle if your grocery does that nonsense) at your local store. I’ve seen Goya brand frozen fried plantains almost everywhere I shop. They are pretty cheap and super easy to prepare.
emily recently posted..Measure It Monday

7 Erin March 23, 2011 at 12:18 am

I don’t know what reaction D intended, but I think I get it. It really just looks funny. There’s no reason for it to, it just sort of does.

8 Megan @ megan mumbles March 22, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I loved loved your show today!

I also love everything strawberry so I am going to have to try that recipe πŸ™‚
Megan @ megan mumbles recently posted..9 1 or Bust!

9 linz March 22, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Um, that looks beyond delicious. Strawberry + Cake = Love. Yumsugar has the best recipes.
linz recently posted..Strawberry Banana Oats

10 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 22, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I still need to check out your video! I bet it is awesome.

I recently bought a ton of strawberries (on sale this week for cheap) and I was looking for a good dessert to make with them. I think that cake looks great!
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..Back to Normal Life

11 ShirtlessBen March 22, 2011 at 9:53 pm

mmmm the fish looks good. Im not gonna lie it was really awkward for me to watch that video, something about pole dancing and my sister just doesnt go together. although i bet derek liked it.

12 michelle March 22, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I’m about to check out the video now!
michelle recently posted..How to make one hour count

13 Stephanie March 22, 2011 at 10:02 pm

OMG! I would not be comfortable in that stripper fitness class, hahahaha, I would be way out of my element and feel so embarrassed. You looked good though!!!
Stephanie recently posted..Non Minty Goodness

14 Ashley March 22, 2011 at 10:22 pm

The show was great! I loved your head band in it as well.
Strawberry crumb cake? Sounds/looks amazing, and no I don’t think it’s possible to bake neatly.

15 Kacy March 22, 2011 at 10:25 pm

THe crumb cakes looks fantastic! I can’t wait to pick up my first batch of fresh strawberries this year!
Kacy recently posted..Finishers!

16 Krista March 22, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Dessert looks amazing. However, it’s torture for someone who gave up sweets for lent. I’m making some mental notes of the first sweet treat I want to bake on Easter sunday! : )
Krista recently posted..Copycats! An update after two months of marriage

17 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 22, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I always make a huge mess baking!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Let’s Talk Hydration

18 Tracy @ Commit To Fit March 22, 2011 at 10:46 pm

You can never go wrong with strawberries! I am loving your video series, it is great to learn about different kinds of fitness πŸ™‚
Tracy @ Commit To Fit recently posted..Being Flexible with Your Exercise Routine

19 Katy (The Singing Runner) March 22, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Oh man! The cake looks delicious!

But I am eyeballing those plantains! I just got back from Costa Rica and I ate my body weight in them! So GOOD! πŸ˜€

20 Lauren @ Team Giles March 22, 2011 at 11:31 pm

How’s about you come to Texan and bake for me? I’m just sayin’… πŸ˜‰

I seriously love, beyond love the new IzonOrlando video. You rocked that class!

21 Kiran March 22, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Love strawberries, gotta try this recipe. And that video had me convinced to join Vixen. So fun!
Kiran recently posted..I love Mondays

22 Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks March 22, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I did a pole dancing class for my friend’s bridal shower. I did NOT want to participate! We did an “afternoon tea” service and pedicures prior to the class, and I wanted to duck out afterwards, but the bride to be, a high school friend, begged me and our other shy friend to participate. So we had a little champagne, and we made it happen.

It was a lot less scary than I thought it would be….by the end of it we were all giggling and wearing wigs and using props. It was also so much harder than I thought it would be! I was super sore the next day. The thing I remember most from the class was the way the teacher kept saying, “Love your pole.” Classic.
Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks recently posted..St Patrick’s Day 5K Recap

23 Alaina March 23, 2011 at 12:09 am

What a great way to use up some strawberries! That cake looks like something right up my alley. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Knee Slapper

24 Lindsey (HIP LIP) March 23, 2011 at 12:18 am

So glad you tried & liked it! πŸ˜‰

25 Marina March 23, 2011 at 2:21 am

The shortcake looks beautiful, although I’m not sure if I would sacrifice yumms fresh strawberries :))
Marina recently posted..state of calm

26 Laura (Starloz) March 23, 2011 at 2:55 am

i’ve never cooked in the kitchen without making a mess!
i need to clean as i go but i never happens & it’s just chaos.
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..Time is lost

27 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] March 23, 2011 at 4:49 am

Have to make a mess when you cook! Great job on the video!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..Place Jamaa el-Fna

28 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] March 23, 2011 at 4:50 am

I also love your headband! You look so cute!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..Place Jamaa el-Fna

29 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 23, 2011 at 6:00 am

yucca how festive! that strawberry deliciousness is making me hungry. must resist midnight snacking!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Dominion Road School

30 Lauren March 23, 2011 at 7:01 am

That cake looks awesome! What a great way to use all your strawberries. πŸ˜‰
Lauren recently posted..Spring Chaos

31 Faith @ lovelyascharged March 23, 2011 at 8:18 am

Haha nice. I’m completely incapable of baking without turning my kitchen into a disaster zone!

32 Hope March 23, 2011 at 8:28 am

That crumb cake looks delicious! I definitely need to add that to my list of things to make! I’m messy when I am bake too. Is it even possible to be a neat baker?! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..A New View On The Highway…

33 katie March 23, 2011 at 8:29 am

Wow this recipe does look good! I love finding great recipes!

U and Katy looked beautiful as ever on the vixen video, loved it! I wish we had something like that here, looks so fun!!! I loved the dance trance video too when I saw that last week!

Have a great day!!
katie recently posted..Cake time

34 Vikki March 23, 2011 at 9:48 am

As far as mess making goes, I’ve always been told to clean as you go. It usually works. πŸ™‚

35 Hilary March 23, 2011 at 9:54 am

MMmmm…that cake looks good, and I am jealous of your yucca and plantains…not 2 things I could normally find at my grocery store.
Hilary recently posted..A bran new day

36 Beth @ DiningAndDishing March 23, 2011 at 10:13 am

Crumb cake is one of my very favorite desserts, ever. Baking is so fun, cleaning up is no fun at all! I guess the results are worth it… πŸ˜‰

37 Erin March 23, 2011 at 11:19 am

I can’t bake or cook without making a mess. If I don’t make a mess then I didn’t make anything good πŸ™‚
Erin recently posted..Eventually

38 Jen March 23, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I thought the video came out great! And I LOVE the headband you were wearing! The cake looks delish as well!

39 Jess@atasteofconfidence March 23, 2011 at 6:03 pm

It’s definitely not just you. I make a mess every time!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..feeling good enough

40 Katie G. March 24, 2011 at 11:48 am

The crumb cake looks amazing! Strawberries are still a bit expensive here in MD, can’t wait for them to start going on sale so I can make this crumb cake!
Katie G. recently posted..Thoughts Tears Tsunami