Never judge a book by its cover

by Meghann on March 22, 2011

Especially when that cover is in the ‘not so nice’ area of town with its share of run down property and bums.

And you drive by that cover a couple of times because you really have no idea what you’re looking for and GPS just keeps tell you to go back because you missed it.

“When at all possible – make a u-turn.”

Thanks phone. You’re really helpful with that one!

Luckily I had a friendly face waiting to show me the way.

Hi Carolyn!

After circling the block twice I saw Carolyn sitting outside I knew I was in the right place. πŸ™‚

Carolyn had invited me to lunch at Cafe Hey this morning and since so many Tampa locals had suggested it, I knew it was worth a try!

Cafe Hey is right on the edge of downtown. Close enough to be considered close, but far enough to be a little scared with walking around by yourself at night.

However, inside the cafe was oozing with charm. The whole place screamed ‘LOCAL, LOCAL’ and the two page menu made it difficult to decide what to eat because everything sounded so good!

In the end I took advantage of the 1/2 sandwich and salad combo special.

Carolyn spoke highly of the Kale Salad and as soon as it arrived I could see why.

The kale, carrot, and radish base had marinated in a delicious tangy dressing that cut the bitterness out of the kale and left that great chew I love. It was light and refreshing.

I expected a high vegetarian based menu, but was surprised with all the delicious meat options as well. There was a great mix of meat friendly and veggie friendly options. You can order the uber healthy kale salad and 1/2 a pork sandwich covered in cheese on he side. Loved that.

The pork sandwich was dresses with a carrot based slaw that gave the sandwich a touch of sweetness. It was messy to eat, but I didn’t mind licking my fingers. πŸ™‚

Thank you Carolyn for introducing me to Cafe Hey. I will be back. And next time I’m having a cookie. πŸ˜‰

It’s Tuesday!

Do you know what that means?

The latest episode of Meals and Miles premieres at 3:00 at izonorlando.com. You can check it out here.

I’ve haven’t seen it yet, but this is the pole dancing class I took last week. Should be interesting….

1 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin March 22, 2011 at 2:31 pm

That kale salad looks delicious and so pretty! I love it when casual places still make the extra effort with presentation. Sounds like a fun lunch!
Beth @ Beth’s Journey to Thin recently posted..A Record

2 Callie March 22, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Hehe. I know exactly what part of town you mean. You may have noticed that the other campus of my work is located nearby…:) Great suggestion by Carolyn though!
Callie recently posted..28 Week Update!

3 Freya March 22, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Woah, what an awesome looking kale salad! I love it when chefs sculpt things like that πŸ™‚
Freya recently posted..The Curious Case of Benjamin Pigeon

4 jenna{frombostonwithlove} March 22, 2011 at 2:35 pm

That salad looks amazing! I am starving right now and this post totally didn’t help πŸ˜‰
jenna{frombostonwithlove} recently posted..Things They Dont Tell You About Marriage 9-715 &amp a race recap

5 Stephanie @ LiveCookLove March 22, 2011 at 2:36 pm

That kale salad looks so fresh and amazing!! Can’t wait for another video!!

6 Hope March 22, 2011 at 2:38 pm

That salad looks great! I love the addition of the carrots on top! It looks so fresh and tasty!
Hope recently posted..A New View On The Highway…

7 Christina March 22, 2011 at 2:40 pm

It’s always the whole in the wall that has the best food πŸ™‚
Christina recently posted..Dont you touch those balls!

8 Brandi March 22, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Those kind of restaurants are the best finds! The salad looks really good!
Brandi recently posted..The Day After…

9 Stefanie @TheNewHealthy March 22, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I love the local restaurants–they beat out the chains anytime!

10 Carolyn H. March 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I’m getting a cookie next time too.
Carolyn H. recently posted..Bulk Foods &amp Grains

11 Lucy @ The Sweet Touch March 22, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Haha, now you two have me craving cookies! I love finding little hidden gems like this, so much tastier than the big chain restaurants that are more familiar and easier to access. It’s worth the risk when you find something tasty!
Lucy @ The Sweet Touch recently posted..On the Lighter Side

12 Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy March 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm

what a fun new cafe! You have so many good ones to choose from now πŸ™‚
Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy recently posted..Homemade Granola Bars

13 Sana March 22, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Can’t wait to watch your show!
Sana recently posted..Super Stuff!

14 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 22, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I love that “Eat more Kale” Sticker.

Awesome.

15 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 22, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Have you seen the show The Next Great Restaurant on NBC? One of the contestant’s ideas is to have a heaven/hell type restaurant where there are really decadent/rich/fatty dishes, but also really healthy/light options. Your meal today reminded me of that!
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..Back to Normal Life

16 Colleen @ ColleenOnTheRun March 22, 2011 at 3:24 pm

What’s that line from Aladdin? “The diamond in the rough?” Sounds like that place!
Colleen @ ColleenOnTheRun recently posted..Full House- Full Stomach

17 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 22, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I love charming little local cafes like that! That kale salad looks fabulous! Love the presentation. πŸ™‚
J3nn (Jenn’s Menu and Lifestyle Blog) recently posted..Eggcellent Sliders

18 Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) March 22, 2011 at 3:39 pm

What an interesting place πŸ™‚ Love that they serve kale salad! The food places around here think that kale is only a “garnish”, crazy people!
Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) recently posted..Stacey’s Corner

19 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Sounds like a delicious lunch! I love finding new restaurants – sounds like you’ve got some good ones in your new city! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Early Weekend

20 Kiran March 22, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Now I want to get a taste of Vixen! It looks like a lot of fun πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..I love Mondays

21 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 22, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Both meat and veggie friendly-love that! The kale salad looks so refreshing, yum.

Can’t wait for the episode!

22 Maren March 22, 2011 at 4:13 pm

That looks like such a cool place! I love local little restaurants like that.
Maren recently posted..I really messed it up this time Didn’t I My Dear

23 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] March 22, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Pole dancing – ohlala!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..Place Jamaa el-Fna

24 Vikki March 22, 2011 at 4:23 pm

That pork sandwich looked delicious.

25 Michelle March 22, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Can’t wait to see the latest episode. You really are a natural
Michelle recently posted..How to make one hour count

26 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 22, 2011 at 4:32 pm

you are finding such great cafes! Its making me want to get out there and one in my new city, but I’m trying to cut back on coffee. I need to find some good tea places, I guess!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Dominion Road School

27 Kacy March 22, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I love places like that that are hard to find – it makes me feel like an insider πŸ˜‰
The kale salad looks delish!
Kacy recently posted..Finishers!

28 Anne P March 22, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Aww Jenna and I used to go to Cafe Hey when we were both living in Tampa!

29 Katherine: Unemployed March 22, 2011 at 4:57 pm

love the wall art in the background bahaha
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Austin Powers

30 Katie G. March 22, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I didn’t think about it and started watching the Vixen video for just a minute(while at work), and my c0-worker came by to ask me a question…I was able to close the screen quickly so I don’t think she saw…I can see myself explaining that now…”it’s a fitness class”…lol. Looks like fun though!
Katie G. recently posted..In With the New

31 Alexa @ Simple Eats March 22, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Pork sandwich with a side of kale salad? Sign me up!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Friday Favorites

32 Hilary March 22, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Mmm that looks tasty…I love fun new restaurant finds. And The kale salad intrigues me…I’m not sure how I’d like raw kale!
Hilary recently posted..A bran new day

33 Kristin @ FoodFash March 22, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Cafe Hey is my favorite!! I’m so glad you liked!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Spring Has Sprung

34 Emily @ Savory and Savage March 22, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I love those little local hidden gems.

The kale salad looked delicious!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Soothing soup

35 Christine @ Bookishly Boisterous March 22, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Bad areas = cheaper rents πŸ™‚ I love places that are off the beaten track!
Christine @ Bookishly Boisterous recently posted..Mishmash of Words

36 Colleen March 22, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Great video.

I’ve been pole dancing since 2007 and am an instructor at a studio in Florida. So I have to call out a huge point that was missing from your video… safety! Pole fitness is a relatively new workout style, and while it’s extremely fun, it’s also very dangerous.

A woman was paralyzed last year! http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8391948.Mum_of_two__32__breaks_neck_at_pole_dancing_exercise_class/

So anyone looking to take it up should do a lot of research to find the right instructor(s) and studio. Jennifer at http://www.poleskivvies.com has some excellent articles on how to find a good instructor for anyone looking to get into pole dancing for fun or fitness.

N.B. This message is unrelated to the Vixen Fitness studio and its instructors.
Colleen recently posted..Why ride

37 Doc (The Healthy PhD) March 22, 2011 at 10:05 pm

That Kale Salad looks amazing…I need to try some new restaurants. Maybe I’ll get a new town soon so I can explore it too!
Doc (The Healthy PhD) recently posted..100th post giveaway!

38 jane March 22, 2011 at 11:09 pm

bums isn’t an OK term to use

39 Alaina March 22, 2011 at 11:53 pm

I just wanted to say that I love love love reading your blog. I’m originally from Tampa but currently going to school at FSU (go NOLES! I know you are proud of me and understand my school pride at being able to boast about this!). It’s so great to see you enjoying Tampa and feels like a little piece of home. My favorite time to see “home”? sitting in class when I am suppose to be taking notes :/ ooops! but thanks again for showing off beautiful Tampa. I hope the city treats you right because I know it did when I moved there 6 years ago from NYC. Seeing Tampa the way you are discovering it makes me motivated to move back and become a “big” girl like you! You are truly an inspiration for how to live and enjoy life. I look forward to becoming another FSU alumni ruling Tampa in the near future!