more ยป" />

Project Move & Mix: Curtains Are Up

by Meghann on March 21, 2011

We have curtains! Woo hoo!

A little backstory….

Originally my living room vision included gorgeous dual toned chocolate curtains Molly found through Pollyvore.

livingroommood.jpg

Pollyvore linked me to Target where the curtains were a little price heavy at $43 a panel.

Screen shot 2011-03-21 at 5.02.49 PM.png

Despite the price, I was all set to add them to my cart when I saw this.

Screen shot 2011-03-21 at 5.03.28 PM.png

Out of stock? Not cool. ๐Ÿ™

Thankfully, a quick Google search turned that frown upside down.

Guess who was able to find them on Amazon for about half the price? This girl!

Screen shot 2011-03-21 at 5.04.56 PM.png

Lesson learned: always google for other price points before buying anything online. Got it.

Screen shot 2011-03-21 at 5.06.30 PM.png

However, something stopped me from purchasing right way. I kept the Amazon tab opened in Chrome for weeks (yes, I do that sometimes) waiting until the couches were delivered before officially ordering them.

Screen shot 2011-03-21 at 5.07.20 PM.png

My mind was pretty set on those curtains – that is – until I was in Homegoods on Saturday and spotted these bad boys.

IMG_9788.jpg

Why hello everything-I-was-looking-for-in-curtains-for-a-fraction-of-the-price. ๐Ÿ˜‰

A couple of key points here

• They had the brass rings on the top that I wanted
  • They were chocolate brown
  • They were the special thermal, black out material that Derek had requested (per our compromise for removing the blinds)
  • They were only $19.99 for TWO panels
  • I could easily return them if they didn’t work
  • No shipping required

SOLD!

Obviously, I couldn’t wait to get them up. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yesterday we got to work removing the vertical blinds (which will replace the damaged ones in the second bedroom), figuring out placement, and falling in love with them all over again.

We only hit one tiny snag when we concluded a power drill was needed to screw the brackets in place. A power drill we didn’t own.

Good thing someone else does own one. ๐Ÿ™‚

Derek’s Dad came by after work this evening to help us finish the job. Yay Derek’s Dad!

Now the curtains are in place and the room looks a touch more complete.

Still missing those couches though.

I envision the chair and a half going under the shelf and the couch up against the wall perpendicular to that.

chaironwall.jpg

Just use your imagination. ๐Ÿ˜‰

There’s also the whole matter of art work and decoration, but that will come with time. Right now getting the big things in place first is our main priority.

Dinner…

The boys hung the curtains while I started dinner.

We splurged on a grass-fed, organic ribeye steak at Greenwise yesterday.

It’s no secret that I’m every marketers dream. They were sampling grilled steak near the meat counter and all it took was one bit and all of a sudden I was in the mood for steak. Go figure.

I seasoned the one pound ribeye with salt and pepper then cooked it under the broiler for about 6 minutes on each side. Derek and I split the final product 60/40.

Steak was my specialty in college ( I could broil a steak like nobody’s business), but it’s been a while since I’ve had the opportunity and it shows. The steak I selected was very fatty and the medium doneness I was going for was more of a rare. It was still flavorful – just chewy.

On the side I had roasted red potatoes with rosemary (my new favorite seasoning)

And steamed green beans.

I finished off the Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter cookies for dessert.

I had one while working at the coffee shop this afternoon and the other as a base for my strawberry shortcake concoction.

Cookie + Strawberries + Vanilla Yogurt = Yum.

Thanks for all the Strawberry suggestions this morning. I seriously can not wait to give some of them a try.

Alright, time to sleep.

Good night!

1 Ashley March 21, 2011 at 10:26 pm

mm I am obsessed with strawberries right now! And the curtains look great!
Ashley recently posted..RunPhones

2 Evan Thomas March 21, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I love that chocolate is the name of a curtain color. I want to decorate myself in chocolate. I’m not even sure if I mean the color or the food anymore.

3 Meghann March 22, 2011 at 9:53 am

The couches are also chocolate brown. ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Evan Thomas March 22, 2011 at 9:57 am

I would get hungry just sitting in your house.

5 Kristen March 21, 2011 at 10:31 pm

YAY love HomeGoods…my fav store for home decor ๐Ÿ™‚ I love decorating with chocolate brown…very soothing and earthly. Can’t wait to see the new couch in place!

6 Sana March 21, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I cant wait for the final look!!!
Sana recently posted..Super Stuff!

7 River March 21, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Looking good! Can’t wait to see it with the couch in it. I like blinds, but those curtains look good there, and match the walls well. ๐Ÿ™‚
River recently posted..Books Written in the Present Tense

8 Ashley March 21, 2011 at 10:37 pm

The curtains look great! I love the bar holding them up too.
Ashley recently posted..14-000 Words To Be Exact

9 Lindsey (HIP LIP) March 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I think the solid color for the curtains was a good choice! Once the couches are in it’ll make the rug stand out more…instead of having too many colors going on.
Lindsey (HIP LIP) recently posted..Friday Ramblings

10 Kelly March 21, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Great job on the curtain find! Looking forward to seeing your new couches placed in there!

11 Alaina March 21, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Love the curtains! I love the chocolate and green combo.
Alaina recently posted..Knee Slapper

12 Elena (running in heels after child) March 21, 2011 at 11:25 pm

This is my fist time reading your blog.

The new curtains are nice- I had to say no to the vertical blinds when we moved into our new house.

Any how, I love that you write about food and running. I laugh when I find myself at on the treadmill reading Food and Wine or Gourmet.

I blog about running, food, my family and life. Food and running make life good.

Happy Monday,

Elena

13 Michelle March 21, 2011 at 11:28 pm

The curtains look great!

14 Marge March 21, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Grass-fed is harder to cook and not as tender. I recommend using something that helps tenderize it, I like Worcestershire sauce. Also, I am guessing the fat was mostly on the outside and it was not very well marbled? Grass-fed is typically not well marbled and the higher protein content means it is better to take it off the heat a little earlier than conventional (it will continue to cook even more once removed) . I think it also comes out a bit better in a lightly greased pan (such as cast iron) than the broiler. IT WAS NOT YOU!!! It was the the steak.

15 Meghann March 22, 2011 at 9:54 am

Thanks Marge! The fat was all on the outside. I didn’t realize there’s a difference when cooking grass fed and regular beef. Good to know.

16 Katy (The Singing Runner) March 21, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Love the curtains! ๐Ÿ˜€ They look fantastic!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Guest Post- Training In The Heat

17 Lish March 22, 2011 at 12:04 am

Even if I go with a friend to HomeGoods “just to look around” and promise myself that I will NOT buy anything, I always find something I never knew I needed! The same thing always happens at Target. I’m a sucker for anything cute. :/

18 Lisa @ I'm an Okie March 22, 2011 at 1:39 am

Great find! I guess it pays to be patient sometimes when it comes to shopping.

19 Lindsay March 22, 2011 at 2:07 am

I know I might sound like an idiot asking this question, but after reading your post about dinner, I just had to ask. Do you always clear your plate or do you leave leftovers or foods that you just arent enjoying? I have always been a person that has to clear my plate and often will not choose things at restaurants if they are too big because I dont like to waste!(weird I know).

I hope you have some ideas for me so that I can possibly learn from you as I have been raised as a “you eat what is on your plate person”! ๐Ÿ™‚
Lindsay recently posted..HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD

20 Meghann March 22, 2011 at 10:17 am

I usually clear my plate if I’m at home. I eat off of small plates and I usually fill them with a serving size I know I can finish. When I got to restaurants it really depends. I tend to listed to my body when I eat so it always varies on how hungry I am or how large the servings are.

21 Marina March 22, 2011 at 2:16 am

The curtains look great. I still have none, after a year living in this aparment. I should really buy some ๐Ÿ˜€
Marina recently posted..state of calm

22 Lauren March 22, 2011 at 6:50 am

Ah, they look great!!! I am in the process of decorating windows and I’m so saddened by how expensive it is. We just spent $800 on blinds for the house and now window treatments are another fortune. Who knew decorating a window would be a major life expense.
Lauren recently posted..Body By Design Review and Giveaway

23 The Teenage Taste March 22, 2011 at 7:15 am

Glad you hear that the room is finally coming together! It looks beautiful!
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Best Of Both Worlds

24 Roselyn March 22, 2011 at 7:26 am

You must have the magic touch because I am still trying to get my husband to hang curtains in our house…and we moved in 6 months ago! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Maybe you can suggest he hang the curtains?? Haha.
Roselyn recently posted..Whatโ€™s in your purse

25 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) March 22, 2011 at 7:34 am

I love the curtains! Chocolate is one of my favorite shades of brown – it looks so rich and velvety.
Deva (Voracious Vorilee) recently posted..Do You Remember

26 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 22, 2011 at 7:34 am

The curtains are super cute! I can’t wait to see the new couches in the place!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

27 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 22, 2011 at 7:39 am

Love the curtains — and you can’t beat that price! I like the larger metal rings up top too — just makes them stand out more.
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..Back to Normal Life

28 Amy March 22, 2011 at 7:55 am

I think having the couch and chair will make such a difference with the green walls and curtains! You’ll be so happy to come home to such a nice space. I can’t wait to see how it all looks pulled together!
Amy recently posted..the it-can-only-get-better-from-here tour

29 Faith @ lovelyascharged March 22, 2011 at 8:18 am

What a great buy! I actually like those better than the originals!

30 Hope March 22, 2011 at 8:21 am

I love Home Goods! They have such great deals and cute finds there! I decorated a lot of place with stuff from there. I love the curtains! It will definitely bring everything together once you get your furniture! I can’t wait to see the finished room ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope recently posted..A New View On The Highwayโ€ฆ

31 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 22, 2011 at 8:27 am

The curtains look great! Sounds like you found the perfect compromise!

32 brandi March 22, 2011 at 8:55 am

the curtains look great – I love the dark brown with the wall color.

33 Becky March 22, 2011 at 9:13 am

Loving this series! I’d be interested in a post about how your eating/food shopping has changed since you moved in with Derek (if it has at all). I know a lot of people notice that their eating habits change after they move in with their boyfriends/husbands, and I’d be curious about your take on it!

34 Meghann March 22, 2011 at 10:18 am

I promise to write about that. It’s only been a couple of weeks so we’re both still trying to figure it all out. ๐Ÿ™‚

35 Haleigh March 22, 2011 at 9:26 am

I can’t wait to see how the room turns out. Love the chocolate colored curtains paired with the light green on the walls ๐Ÿ™‚
Haleigh recently posted..Sun-Dried Tomato Turkey Burgers

36 rebecca lustig March 22, 2011 at 9:31 am

i LOVE that rug! the place is really coming together!

37 Carolyn H. March 22, 2011 at 9:39 am

Why are guys so attached to their vertical blinds. I’ve been trying to get my husband to change ours in the kitchen for drapes since I moved in a year ago. This post inspired me again to ask, and I’m still getting shot down.
Carolyn H. recently posted..Bulk Foods &amp Grains

38 Meghann March 22, 2011 at 10:19 am

The living room is one battle won, but I haven’t won the war. He won’t let me touch the vertical blinds in the bedroom…. yet.

39 Allison K. March 22, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Luckily, my husband shares my hate for vertical blinds, but my father-in-law thinks they are the GREATEST thing ever. He puts them up in all of his rental properties (much to my mother-in-laws chagrin).
Allison K. recently posted..The New Normal

40 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me March 22, 2011 at 9:40 am

Yay! It’s all coming together! Curtains seriously MAKE a room. They make it more homey and quaint etc etc. I love decorating.
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Springโ€™s Here!! โ€ฆmaybe not

41 Kacy March 22, 2011 at 10:08 am
42 Laura March 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I love that combination of green & brown together. So pretty ๐Ÿ™‚
Laura recently posted..Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream

43 Kiran March 22, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Love the curtains! and how it gels well with your sofa ๐Ÿ™‚
Kiran recently posted..I love Mondays

44 Allison K. March 22, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I think you should paint your other wall green too! that would make the room look super.
Allison K. recently posted..The New Normal

45 Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) March 22, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Love the curtain! I’m not an impulse buyer either, I love shopping around and comparing prices! Looks like you did the right thing by waiting ๐Ÿ™‚ Hello bargain, where have you been all my life? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m sure your living room will be lovely once it’s complete!

PS. My guy and I did the same thing with the blinds in our house. We put the non-broken ones where it mattered (living room, bedroom) and the crappy ones went up in the bathrooms haha
Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) recently posted..Staceyโ€™s Corner

46 Misty March 23, 2011 at 10:05 am

The living room is looking great!! I have been in my house for 5 years-and my husband and I STILL can’t decide on curtains. I think your room would look “polished” with some crown molding. Just a thought!!!

47 Saundra Kirk March 11, 2013 at 9:08 pm

He wonโ€™t let me touch the vertical blinds in the bedroomโ€ฆ. They look fantastic! I think your room would look โ€œpolishedโ€ with some crown molding. I love the chocolate and green combo.