Buddy Brew Coffee

by Meghann on March 21, 2011

The next stop on my coffee house tour of Tampa took me to Buddy Brew Coffee – a little gem near Hyde Park that came highly recommended from fellow Tampa-ian Sarah.

First of all – LOVE the logo. How adorable is that doggy face?

Buddy Brew is a very chic and modern coffeehouse. They roast all their own beans in store and always brew fresh to order.

The menu was a little limited – there were no tea options and I’m not a huge coffee drinker – but I have a rule about ordering something if I plan on taking up a seat for a good while at a coffeehouse. Gotta support local businesses! πŸ™‚ After speaking with the girl ahead of me, I ordered the BBC Caramello based on her recommendation. She told me it was basically an iced caramel latte and one of her favorites.

IMG_5262.jpg

This was my first time trying any sort of iced latte and I was immediately impressed. The cold drink reminded me of melted coffee ice cream. Yum. πŸ™‚

My only complaint? Too much ice. Not enough drink.

IMG_5264.jpg

That baby was gone in 30 seconds flat. Easily. πŸ˜‰

This place is so cozy. I may never leave.

Between breakfast and coming to Buddy Brew I was able to get some much needed chores taken care of around the house. Our place is currently a mess with several projects happening at once. My parents are visiting in a couple of weeks and my plan is to have the living room done and the ‘office’ somewhat organized before their stay. Can I do it? Probably not, but it’s worth a try. πŸ™‚

Derek made a comment yesterday about my tendency to ‘stock’ the freezer (the frozen veggies were on sale – plus, I had a store AND manufacture coupon – of course I needed to buy three bags!), so I promised him I would eat up some of the bulk of it this week.

The first to go? A frozen pizza.

Frozen pizzas are one of those purchases that always seem good at the time, but end up staying in the freezer for weeks (months) at a time.

Nothing bores me more than a plain ole frozen pizza. They always need a little extra sumthin’ sumthin’ to please my taste buds.

The addition of roasted red pepper, mushrooms, and eggplant did the trick for today. I just threw the trio on top before going in the oven and baked per usual.

Much better.

I had half the pizza for lunch

Because – let’s face it – the suggested ‘1/3 serving’ never cuts it.

So pretty. πŸ™‚

With a side salad of spinach, strawberries, and grapes.

Loved my lunch today. Lots of colors, textures, and crunch. Spring is in the air and on my plate. πŸ™‚

My A-Ha Moment

My monthly Attune post went up today! πŸ™‚ Screen shot 2011-03-21 at 2.41.57 PM.png

This month I discuss my ‘A-Ha’ moment when getting healthy finally clicked. Check it out here. πŸ™‚

1 Stacy @ Every Little Thing March 21, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I always think frozen pizzas leave something to be desired too. Always have to add my own ingredients! They look so good on the box though πŸ™‚

Your side salad is making my mouth water. I keep waiting for strawberry prices to drop a bit!
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..Pineapple Meringue Pie

2 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food March 21, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Tampa has some cool coffee houses!! I’ve always wanted to try the pizza from Publix, it looks so good. Now I have to check it out for sure…love your topping additions πŸ™‚
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Now We Know My ABCs

3 michelle March 21, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I’ve never been a big fan of frozen pizzas. Like you, they always leave me wanting more and something a little extra on them.

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 21, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Your article sounds interesting, I’m going to check it out now! That pizza looks absolutely divine – and I agree…. who needs thirds when you’ve got halves!?!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Early Weekend

5 Jenny March 21, 2011 at 2:55 pm

The coffee shop looked so cute!
Jenny recently posted..what love will do-part 1

6 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 21, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Re: “I have a rule about ordering something if I plan on taking up a seat for a good while at a coffeehouse”

Would anyone actually go to a coffee house, sit around, and NOT order something? If you’re by yourself that’s definitely not cool.

I used to work at a coffee shop and if anyone did that (which was rarely, and only included bored, loitering teens) we’d kick them out.

7 Lily March 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm

LOL my thought exactly!

8 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 21, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I like iced coffee drinks like that, but they always have too much ice and not enough drink! Now I get them blended with the ice, so I don’t have that problem.

Frozen pizzas don’t cut it for me either — they are screaming for extra toppings.
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..Back to Normal Life

9 Kiran March 21, 2011 at 3:05 pm

You are right about that logo – so cute πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..Finding the light

10 JessicaEn March 21, 2011 at 3:24 pm

You can ask for light ice! I ALWAYS do πŸ˜€

11 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 21, 2011 at 3:25 pm

That Caramello looks so delicious, but dang that IS a lot of ice!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..For Japan With Love

12 Jess@atasteofconfidence March 21, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I really like your article!

13 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 21, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I hate when there’s that much ice!! It’s hard to order iced coffee “light on the ice,” but whenever I order regular drinks I ask for them without it. I’m paying for the drink, not cubes!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Zero Otto Nove

14 Hannah @ Healthy Whip March 21, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I’m glad it’s not just me that thinks 1/3 of a pizza is never enough! Looks delicious.
Hannah @ Healthy Whip recently posted..Working Lunch At Home

15 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 21, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Yeah, frozen pizzas are kind of stingy with toppings! Good call adding more. And 1/3 never cuts it; half or all is much more satisfying, lol.

16 Jeni @ stepping out March 21, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I would love to try that coffee shop! I’m definitely a coffee person and in-store roasting is a big plus in my eyes.
Jeni @ stepping out recently posted..My first injury

17 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me March 21, 2011 at 3:50 pm

So jealous! I wish I had fun local coffee shops in abundance! I live in ghetto-ville. πŸ˜‰
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Weekend Fun!

18 Karen @ Run Shop Travel March 21, 2011 at 3:50 pm

That drink looks amazing! I worked at my university’s coffee shops while I was at school and my favorite drink was an iced caramella – espresso with caramel sauce melted in after it brewed, milk, ice, whipped cream. I got really sick of them (and had the worst caffeine withdrawl headaches when I stopped drinking them!) over the course of working there though!
Karen @ Run Shop Travel recently posted..Work it Out

19 Marina March 21, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I love iced coffee latte!
Stocked freezer is so important, it really is great to have all kinds of frozen veggies and other stuff for making quick meals.
Marina recently posted..state of calm

20 Kara March 21, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I always eat half a frozen pizza at a time too! Glad you’re with me on that one πŸ™‚

We’ve lived in this house for almost 2 years and I still have so many unfinished things!

I love how men complain about how full the fridge/freezer is, but they are more than willing to eat it all! πŸ˜›
Kara recently posted..Body after marathon- My take

21 christina cadden March 21, 2011 at 4:16 pm

That coffee looks so good!

22 Kacy March 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I hate when iced coffees are way loaded with ice. Boo! The coffee shop sounds great though!!
Kacy recently posted..Finishers!

23 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life March 21, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Pizza looks amazing! I don’t like having a full freezer–hate wrestling to pull stuff out!
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..Changes

24 Hope March 21, 2011 at 4:29 pm

That drink looks so good! I love private coffee houses like that. Unfortunately, there are none like that near me. I wish there were. πŸ™‚ That pizza looks so good! I love everything that you added to it. It definitely makes it a lot prettier! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..A New View On The Highway…

25 Sana March 21, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I don’t like coffee either, but I do love frozen drinks!

26 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm

oooh I also love cold drinks like that – but agree – I drink them too quickly!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Fig Jam Tart wheat free

27 kristine March 21, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I always have the freezer stalked to the max… lol πŸ™‚
kristine recently posted..Currently on my mind…

28 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods March 21, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Love your coffeehouse rule about ordering something if you’re going to take up a seat. I truly hate when people just hang out, taking up space without ordering anything. It’s not a public library, after all! πŸ™‚

Also, love the look of that iced coffee drink!
Jen @ keepitsimplefoods recently posted..Coconut Oil Winner And A Recipe!

29 mary March 21, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I wish Raleigh had cute coffee shops like that close to where I am in the city. all of the good ones are a good 20 min. drive downtown.
mary recently posted..Holler!

30 Katy (The Singing Runner) March 21, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Mmmmmm that pizza looks amazing! πŸ˜€
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Guest Post- Training In The Heat

31 Biz March 21, 2011 at 5:47 pm

As much as I love making homemade pizza, some Friday’s I am like “I don’t want to cook!” So our local store sells a 16 inch cheese pizza for $5 – unbaked. Then I use whatever veggies, extra cheese I have on hand to make it my own – so much better!
Biz recently posted..58 Point Birthday and Weigh-in Monday

32 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 21, 2011 at 6:34 pm

YUM you are making me crave pizza! Maybe I will have to concoct a little something…
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Dominion Road School

33 Katherine: Unemployed March 21, 2011 at 7:13 pm

who is that attune model? i expect to see you there soon
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Austin Powers

34 Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) March 21, 2011 at 7:27 pm

We have locally-owned coffee house near us that puts way too much ice in too! But the drinks are too good to stop going πŸ™‚ I think I’d rather buy a drink and support local business than support chains that make billions of dollars every year!

Loving the lunch!! A colorful meal is so much fun to eat (and healthy too!) πŸ˜€
Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan) recently posted..Stacey’s Corner

35 Ashley March 21, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I don’t buy or eat a lot of frozen pizzas but they are great for quick meals. You’re right the recommended serving never really is enough. It looks delicious, and I loved the place setting for the day!

36 [SMASH] March 21, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Cute coffee shop. I love local places like that!

37 Hilary March 21, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Looks good…and very colourful! A great way to brighten up a frozen find.
Hilary recently posted..Favourite things- cross-border food finds

38 Kristen March 21, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I lobe coffee places that roast their beans and that brew to order. I have one in my neighbourhood that opened in January and I’m there at least face a week πŸ™‚
Kristen recently posted..signs it is training season

39 Kristin @ FoodFash March 21, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Have you been to Greenwise in Hyde Park yet?? If not, you need to go ASAP! If so, how in love are you?
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Spring Has Sprung

40 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 21, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Whenever I order anything iced, I always ask for easy ice!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

41 Alaina March 21, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who thinks the 1/3 serving is wrong. πŸ˜‰

I love finding local coffee shops too! Especially once the weather gets nicer and I can sit outside.
Alaina recently posted..Knee Slapper

42 Jamie@everydaydolce March 22, 2011 at 12:24 am

That pizza looks so yummy! Pizza is always a good decision on a Monday πŸ˜‰

43 sarah the tampa-ian. March 22, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I’m so glad you got over to Buddy Brew. And I’m extra happy that you had the drink that I forgot to recommend you. Hopefully we’ll be able to enjoy a BBC Caramello in the near future!

44 Carly March 22, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Ah! I’m SO jealous you were able to find the Feta and Spinach pizza. Since I am also a marketer’s dream, I saw the ad for it and had been craving it ever since- then our Publix was sold out πŸ™ I settled for the Veggie variety, but the one you created actually looks WAY better! lol