Saturday Market

by Meghann on March 19, 2011

You want sunshine? You’ve got sunshine!

IMG_9656.jpg

It was a seriously gorgeous morning here on the west coast of Tampa. Perfect timing for all those spring breakers in town. Perfect timing for the St. Petersburg’s weekly farmer’s market. And perfect timing to dine outside with a few new friends at the cutest organic cafe in downtown St. Petersburg.

This morning I met Callie, Meredith, Theresa, and Carolyn for an early lunch at one of their favorite local spots – Central Cafe.

All of the girls are triathlon enthusiasts, so it was fun to pick their brain on different tris in the area. They had me itching to sign up for a few of them as soon as I could get my hands on a computer. πŸ™‚

IMG_9610.JPG IMG_9611.JPG

The Central Cafe had a really fresh, deli style menu, which was perfect for dining on a hot day. Callie had a coupon and was kind enough to share a couple of dishes with me.

We split the (very garlicy) hummus with whole wheat pita.

And the Sweet Potato Fries (they were really soggy and really yummy πŸ™‚ )

We each got our greens for day in juice form.

This was the Vegetable Sampler, which contained apples, beets, carrots and a touch of ginger.

After lunch we explored the Saturday market. I was really impressed by the variety of booths and local, organic products. I really need to get Derek and Maddie down here next time!

IMG_9627.JPG IMG_9628.JPG

IMG_9666.jpg IMG_9664.JPG

I came home with a couple of bags of veggie and a crusty baguette. Dinner is going to be good. πŸ˜‰

Last night’s cookies were also waiting for me at home.

Still chewy, still thick, and still delicious. πŸ™‚

I wonder where the rest of the day will take me? It’s too pretty to be inside any longer!

1 Stacy @ Every Little Thing March 19, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Beautiful market! I wish we had an organic section in our market πŸ™‚
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..Social Media Rules

2 Jamie @ getalivingsense March 19, 2011 at 4:11 pm

That market looks awesome! I’m excited to see what your dinner will be tonight! πŸ™‚

3 Sarah for Real March 19, 2011 at 4:12 pm

So jealous of the sunshine and warm temps! I woke up to snow this morning :/

4 Freya March 19, 2011 at 4:15 pm

All that sun..soo jealous!
Freya recently posted..The Build Up

5 Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. March 19, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Lunch was delicious, and the market was fabulous. But the real winner was the weather! I’m seriously loving today. Let me know if you want to go on some Tampa Bay adventures. I’ve only been here for a year, so I’m game for exploration any time.
Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. recently posted..Peace – Love- and Chocolate

6 Brie @ Brie Fit March 19, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I think Meghann needs to join our group for the Nike Women’s Marathon, Carolyn!

I’m jealous of you girls, it’s hailing here and I worked all morning!
Brie @ Brie Fit recently posted..1620

7 Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. March 19, 2011 at 5:03 pm

My hubby is working all day too. I felt kinda bad for enjoying the day. Okay, I got over that real quick.

Yes, Meghann, road (air) trip to San Francisco for the Women’s Half Marathon. We are trying to get a group together of Health and Fitness gals from The Nest.

Brie, enjoy the rest of of your evening! Hopefully work is done, and even though the weather sucks, you and Tim can enjoy your night!

8 Meghann March 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm

San Francisco is a race I definitely want to do someday, but my heart is set on Savannah this year in November. πŸ™‚

p.s. Love how everyone is connected.

p.p.s.s. Carolyn – I am totally down for new adventures!

9 Hilary March 19, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Mmmm…LOVE farmers’ markets! I don’t have a Saturday one where I live…so I’m jealous!
Hilary recently posted..Simple St Paddy’s Supper

10 [SMASH] March 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Beautiful weather makes fun things even more fun!

11 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm

What a fun morning!

It was nice out this morning but not that nice! I so wish I could wear a dress outside and not freeze. Maybe in a few more weeks.
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..Back to Normal Life

12 Meredith March 19, 2011 at 4:37 pm

it was fun today! wish i could have stayed longer!
Meredith recently posted..nutrition fair in pictures

13 Lucie March 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Ahhhhh Im so envious of the sun you guys have! Please send some over to the UK! This farmers market also looks like my dream, as does this cafe! The fries and smoothie look so delish! nom nom!

x
Lucie recently posted..Living Dangerously

14 Dee @ Confessions of a Happy Girl March 19, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I was at the market this morning too! It was a beautiful day. I’m not ready for the Florida summer heat to hit yet. We do have a TON of great triathlons on our side of the bay. I definitely recommend St. Anthony’s (even if just to spectate and gaze in amazement at speed and grace of the Pros), Escape from Ft. DeSoto (April), Mad Dog Tri in St. Pete (May), Top Gun (July, I think). If you’re looking for a long ride I ride (road not trail/path) I love to ride from my house on Belleair Beach south on Gulf Blvd as far down as St. Pete Beach and then back to Clearwater Beach for liquid refueling at Shepards ;). With the exception of a couple bridges, it’s a flat ride and there’s a bike lane the whole way down. Quite a few groups ride this route on weekends. It sounds like you’re adjusting well to living in Tampa.
Dee @ Confessions of a Happy Girl recently posted..The First Sunday in November

15 Meghann March 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Thanks Dee!!!!!

16 Lindsay March 19, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Fun! I went to a Farmer’s market today too, stocked up on 3 lbs of apples for only $1! I love getting fresh, local produce there but usually think its more expensive so shy away. Wish it was as nice and warm in NYC as it is in FL, but the sun is shining so it’s a good day πŸ™‚
Lindsay recently posted..Staying Positive- Best Things This Week

17 Clare - Never Niche March 19, 2011 at 4:57 pm

The Farmer’s Market guy leaning into the photo of the cake made me smile.
Clare – Never Niche recently posted..Honoring Grandma Rose on St Patricks Day

18 Cara March 19, 2011 at 5:37 pm

That market looks great! I am so jealous of the warm weather and all that sunshine!

19 Clare @ Fitting It All In March 19, 2011 at 5:42 pm

My boyfriend teaches in St. Petersburg and surprised me by taking me to that market! It was SO FUN! One of the stands had an amazing raw veggie burger. Next time I visit I’m surprising him with Central Cafe. πŸ™‚ He’ll be THRILLED….
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Healthy Living At Work

20 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 19, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Looks like a great lunch! I can’t wait for the farmers market to hit our town!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Do You Stick Or Roll

21 Kristy @ KristyRuns March 19, 2011 at 6:06 pm

My dad lives and St. Pete, and when I was down there for the Gasparilla half mary a few weekends back, knowing I’m vegan, he took me to that cafe!!! I ordered the same juice, too…so good!! πŸ™‚ Small, small world.
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..A Vegan’s Dilemma

22 Ali @ Ali Runs March 19, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I love your sunglasses, they are so cute! Love the pictures of the beautiful weather. πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..St Patty’s Day in Pictures

23 s March 19, 2011 at 6:26 pm

cute outfit πŸ™‚

24 Kara March 19, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I wish I had a market like that around here! I live in the farmland, but our farmer’s markets aren’t fancy like that πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Puppy fever

25 D March 19, 2011 at 7:29 pm

OMG that is my market! Haha. I recently moved away but my family still lives there and I used to go EVERY Saturday…crazy! And Central Organics is awesome too.

26 katie March 19, 2011 at 7:32 pm

The market looks awesome! I love farmers markets! U look so pretty in your sundress too! I cant wait to wear sundresses again!

Have a great night girl! xoxo
katie recently posted..Friday love

27 Laura (Starloz) March 19, 2011 at 8:03 pm

i love organic markets, they are just incredible.
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..Sugar Cookies

28 Hsw March 19, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I really enjoy the energy of your posts, I don’t comment much but I love these posts where you adventure to markets and the like. The produce price signs are interesting to me because I feel like prices are on an upswing here near the west coast but FL seems to be at normal levels, probably because it is local?
Hsw recently posted..Persian Lima Bean Rice Recipe

29 Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy March 19, 2011 at 9:18 pm

looks like such a beautiful day in florida! .. what a fun day with friends and farmers market!
Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy recently posted..Homemade Black Bean Burgers

30 rebecca lustig March 19, 2011 at 9:25 pm

i can not wait for the farmer’s markets to open up again!

31 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 20, 2011 at 3:37 am

your pictures made me so happy πŸ™‚ what a lovely day!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Dominion Road School

32 Caitlin March 20, 2011 at 7:37 am

pretty earrings, where from?

33 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope March 20, 2011 at 9:39 am

I love all of those places here. Wish I could have joined the meetup, but had yoga teacher training.
Too bad the market ends in May, but it’s good since it gets so hot.
Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope recently posted..Yoga Self-Assessment

34 Valerie @ Cupcakes & the City March 20, 2011 at 10:52 am

I love your dress! I’m so excited for warm weather and farmers markets up here, too!
Valerie @ Cupcakes & the City recently posted..Cowgirl’s Baking

35 BroccoliHut March 20, 2011 at 11:10 am

love, love, love your dress!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Lunch Line

36 Mac March 20, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Sweet potato fries are my absolute favorite form of sweet potatoes! I definitely prefer them over regular fries!
Mac recently posted..A Healthier Quest

37 Kacy March 21, 2011 at 10:02 am

That market looks fabulous!!

38 Natalie March 24, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Love going to markets! And those sweet potato fries did look glorious! So jealous.
Natalie recently posted..Nan’s Chicken Divan