A Tampa Running Buddy

by Meghann on March 18, 2011

I was spoiled in Orlando. Spoiled with great running trails, spoiled with a great running community, and spoiled with great running friends. I was so spoiled, that one of the things I feared when moving to Tampa was losing all of that.

Of course, this morning proved there was really nothing to worry about. A lot of that already exists here, I just need to discover it. It’s all part of that ‘new version’ of Tampa I’m looking for. πŸ˜‰

Today I discovered another great running Tampa trail, introduced to me by a new great running buddy who had nothing, but great things to say about the Tampa community. I feel like I’m being spoiled all over again.

Laura had e-mailed me last week asking if I wanted to meet for a run and breakfast. Ummm… is the sky blue? Someone to run with in a new city? Heck yeah!

Turns out Laura is nothing short of amazing. She’s completed several Half Ironmans and TWO full Ironmans. Oh, and did I mention she did all of that while in school for her PHD and planning a wedding. Total rockstar.

And, to make a small world even smaller, we both grew up about 30 minutes apart from each other and had a couple of mutual friends already in common. I think I found my new Tampa BFF. πŸ™‚

We completed a somewhat speedy 5 miles (who knew 9:00 min/miles could be a ‘conversational pace’? ) then headed to First Watch for breakfast.

I had a wheat germ pancake with two eggs. ( I like to put the egg on top of the pancake and cover it with syrup. Best. Thing. Ever.)

And a bowl of fruit.

Other fun things Laura and I have in common:

• We both hate celery
  • We both have green walls
  • We both graduated in ’03
  • We both made bricks for the Brevard Zoo when we were in Kindergarten (can’t believe she actually found hers!)
  • We both work from home

Yay for new running buddies!! πŸ™‚

1 Christina March 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

yay! Sounds like you guys really hit it off! That always makes moving to a new city easier!

Great run! Pfft who knew 9:00 min pace allowed talking at all, I’d probably do more of a huffing and puffing than actually talking. Great job guys πŸ™‚
Christina recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

2 Kara March 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

New running buddies are the best! I didn’t really like living here until I found some πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..I love every other Friday

3 michelle March 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

I am always so impressed when I hear of or meet someone who has completed an ironman competition. Yay for new running friends!
michelle recently posted..Marriage

4 Stacy @ Every Little Thing March 18, 2011 at 10:40 am

Glad you found a Tampa buddy! I love when we meet our natural soulmates (and yes, I think soulmates are just as much friends as partners!)
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..Cheesy Veggie Lasagna

5 Freya March 18, 2011 at 10:41 am

It sounds like it’s love πŸ™‚
Wheatgerm pancakes!? Is there any chance you know what the recipe was for them!!?? I know it’s a long shot..but I have a love affair with wheatgerm πŸ™‚
Freya recently posted..You got the urge

6 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 18, 2011 at 10:41 am

How nice to meet a new (running) friend! πŸ™‚

I like to put my eggs on top of pancakes too — but I like them with a runny yolk and then that mixes with the maple syrup too. That is the best!
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..Back to Normal Life

7 Biz March 18, 2011 at 10:43 am

So glad you found a new running buddy . . . and you guys have so much in common! Perfect way to start a Friday! πŸ˜€
Biz recently posted..How to Make Perfect Rice and a Winner!

8 [SMASH] March 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

Glad things are falling right into place for you in Tampa!

9 kristy @ kristyruns.com March 18, 2011 at 10:53 am

Yay! So glad Tampa’s working out for you! Laura definitely sounds like a rockstar!
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..A Vegan’s Dilemma

10 Lea @ Healthy Coconut March 18, 2011 at 10:55 am

It’s always fun meeting new people and have something instantly a lot of common. Glad you met a new fitness buddy
Lea @ Healthy Coconut recently posted..Green Flowers

11 Nacho Lindsay March 18, 2011 at 10:55 am

You can never have to many running buddies! And by running buddies, I mean fellow nacho enthusiasts.
Nacho Lindsay recently posted..Riverhouse- Moline- IL

12 linz March 18, 2011 at 11:03 am

Looks like your new version of Tampa keeps getting better and better πŸ™‚
linz recently posted..Outfit of the Week- Casual Friday

13 Jenny March 18, 2011 at 11:20 am

That’s awesome you found a running buddy!:)

14 Kiran March 18, 2011 at 11:51 am

Yay for new buddies in a new city! I know that feeling πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..Lessons from Social Fresh- Facebook

15 Karen @ Run Shop Travel March 18, 2011 at 11:58 am

I hate celery too!
Karen @ Run Shop Travel recently posted..Perfection and Information Overload

16 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Glad you found a new buddy πŸ™‚
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Balsamic and Garlic Roasted Brussel Sprouts

17 LauraJayne March 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm

A good running buddy changes the whole dynamic of a run!
LauraJayne recently posted..Bracketology GoGoZaga

18 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me March 18, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Yay! Love meeting new friends and exploring new places. πŸ™‚
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..St Paddy’s Day

19 Hope March 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm

So awesome that you have a new running buddy! I’ve never heard of putting eggs on pancakes with syrup. It sounds rather tasty though!
Hope recently posted..Chicken Cacciatore in the Crockpot…

20 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm

So jealous! I want a running buddy πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..A Perfect Ten

21 Lauren (Neeps and Taters) March 18, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Sounds like you got yourself a great new running buddy!

And I do that pancake thing too πŸ˜€
Lauren (Neeps and Taters) recently posted..searching for myself

22 Grace March 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Congrats on finding a new running buddy that is awesome=) I love First Watch but I’ve never had their wheat germ pancakes…it looks yummy! I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to get past the carrot cake pancakes though!
Grace recently posted..These Irish Eyes

23 Alexa @ Simple Eats March 18, 2011 at 1:05 pm

That’s awesome that you guys have so much in common! It never hurts to have someone to run with!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..New Love

24 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] March 18, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I love your positivity Meghann! It’s contagious!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..Why France Talking with Anne

25 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 18, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Ew.. celery… blech..

And congrats on the new running buddy! I imagine you would make friends pretty easily πŸ™‚
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Luck of the Irish

26 Ali @ Ali Runs March 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Meeting new people for runs is awesome!! I have gotten to know lots of new friends while out on runs, because there is nothing to do but chat! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Half Marathon Goals

27 Lucie March 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm

yay for running biddies indeed! I love your blog! That fruit salad looks so delicious, I wish i could dive into my screen =]

28 SaraRM March 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm

“Oh, and did I mention she did all of that while in school for her PHD and planning a wedding.”– I have insane anxiety just reading that sentence! Definitely a rockstar! What a fun morning

29 Kacy March 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm

That’s awesome! Finding new friends in a new city is always fun! The pancake looks great!
Kacy recently posted..I come alive in the Spring time

30 Hilary March 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Good for you…that’s so exciting! I’m more of a solo runner myself. And eggs on pancakes? …interesting.
Hilary recently posted..Making the best

31 Billie March 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Can I just say I don’t think a table will work in that space as it will block energy in the room with being so close to doors. Have you thought about maybe using the wall? I suggest a beautiful shelf mirror combo and may be an antique basket attached to the wall to hold the mail? I know it is a British site but I have bought loads from Cox and Cox here in England.
Kind regards
Billie

32 Dina March 18, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Yay! I would love to find a running buddy but there are so few people who live in Polk County that I fear I would have to drive into Orlando to find one.
Dina recently posted..Shamrock Walk and Run 5K

33 Kerry March 18, 2011 at 10:56 pm

reason enough for why blogs are awesome!
Kerry recently posted..Matchy Matchy

34 Lisa March 19, 2011 at 10:56 am

So I have been a reader for a long time now but have never commented. Today I had to because I had to do a double take when I saw the pic of Laura. Laura and I were great friends in high school and were on the dance team together! Small world! I agree, she is amazing!

35 Meghann March 19, 2011 at 10:51 pm

It is a small world! Are you from Melbourne too? I’m from Titusville!

36 Lisa March 21, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I am from Melbourne! Class of 2003 too πŸ™‚

37 Josephine March 19, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Funsies! She already has her PhD? Wow! What does she do for work?