Matchmaker, Matchmake Make Me a Match

by Meghann on March 17, 2011

It’s a match!

188225_10150124231135750_502505749_6265140_333559_n.jpg

MAJOR congrats to my twin bro – who was matched at Cedars-Sinai today! This summer he’ll be packing up and heading out west to study medicine all the way in California. I can’t wait to visit! πŸ™‚

Also, more congrats belong to his girlfriend, Adena , who will spend the first portion of her residency at UCSF for prelims and peds then will head to Chicago to finish up with dermatology.

189230_10150124156590750_502505749_6264583_2087432_n.jpg

I’m so proud! πŸ™‚

I can’t believe in less than two month my brother will be DOCTOR Josh Anderson! It’s one of those things you always dream about as a kid, but to see it become a reality is amazing. Words fail to describe how proud my parents are right now. πŸ™‚

I know they’re proud of me too. I mean, i take pictures of food for a living. Totally the same as saving lives, right? No? Ok.

Anyways... getting back to that food… today’s lunch was a simple one.

It wasn’t much, but apples and carrots with almond butter was all I really wanted when lunch time rolled around. The temps are rising outside and we haven’t had the heart to turn the AC back on yet, so I think my body was just craving something cool and refreshing to beat the heat with.

I did manage to sneak a piece of Irish Soda Bread on the plate to round the meal out just a tad. πŸ™‚

After lunch I had a Milk Chocolate Crisp Attune Bar.

eh. Wasn’t a fan. I definitely prefer the Dark Chocolate Mint or Coffee Bean Attune Bars over this one. πŸ™‚

Yesterday I began pulling all my boxes marked ‘photo frames’ and ‘decorations’ out of the second bedroom and realized none of my old stuff really matched or fit in the new space. There’s a lot of empty wall space to work with in the living room at the moment and I had no clue what to do with it all.

Hello, Ikea!

I really just made the trip there this afternoon to see if anything they had inspired me. Trips to Ikea during busy weekends can get a little crazy, but on a quiet weekday it was a breeze.

The goal was to take photos of anything that I liked and bring those photos back to Derek for his thoughts. However, the only thing I ended up with on the camera was a photo of these pillows.

What do you think? Could they work with the brown couch and green walls? hmmmm…

My lunch was pretty small (d’oh!), so by the time I made it through the top level my tummy was growling. I didn’t have an emergency snack on hand, but I did have a food court.

I’ve probably walked by the Ikea food court a hundred times, but I’ve never actually been in one. The food selection was… interesting. There wasn’t much as far as ‘snack’ options go, but there was soup and the soup looked good.

I think it was a vegetable medley? It was a little richer than I was expecting, but pretty good otherwise (considering it was from the Ikea food court of course πŸ™‚ ).

Two hours later I walked out of the store with a cartful of goodies to keep me busy at home for a while.

We’re going to have some fun this weekend! πŸ˜‰

We had special plans for dinner. Derek’s brother and girlfriend invited us over for an irish feast this evening.

IMG_9501.jpg

Only two more months until Derek is an Uncle! Eekkk!!!

It was nice catching up with Tyler and Rachel on all their baby plans. Rachel just returned from a baby shower in Maryland and had a closet full of itty bitty baby clothes to share. There’s nothing like itty bitty baby clothes to bring a smile to your face. πŸ™‚

We started the meal with chips and salsa.

And Irish Beer (of course)

IMG_9505.jpg

It was a community meal – we brought the beer, Tyler and Rachel made the salad, and Derek’s parents arrived with the corn beef, cabbage, and potatoes.

A great team effort to produce the irish meal.

For dessert we had Strawberry Shortcakes. Only I used a piece of Irish Soda Bread instead of shortcake (I’m a genius! πŸ˜‰ )

It’s late and I have a running date in the morning!

Good Night!!!

1 maria @ Chasing the Now March 17, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Congrats to your brother!

2 Laura @ Backstage Pass March 17, 2011 at 11:35 pm

LOVE the pillows you picked up! I am going to head to Ikea this weekend and may have to copy you, lol. Raya from Raya Runs bought this Ikea blue rug I really like, and now I see your pillows that would complement the color nicely. I am also in the new couch club, with ours arriving sometime this weekend. Can’t wait to decorate and ‘finish’ up the living room!
Sounds like you’ve got great news all around in your family. You’re getting settled in your new digs, your bro and his girlfriend are matched with their programs, and a new baby soon? Good times!
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..15 weeks til beaches

3 Michelle March 17, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I love your necklace

4 Kristy @ KristyRuns March 17, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Wow! So many exciting things happening in your world! Congrats all around! πŸ™‚

P.S. That necklace is gorgeous!
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..A Vegan’s Dilemma

5 Maryann (The Balanced Bean) March 18, 2011 at 12:04 am

Cedars Sinai is close to where I live! We should have a meet-up when you come visit your bro πŸ™‚
Maryann (The Balanced Bean) recently posted..Calorie Torching Workout

6 Cheryl Ha March 18, 2011 at 12:04 am

My cousin works at Cedars-Sinia as a research scientist (breast cancer research) and she is so happy to be there. She was originally at UCLA and chose Cedars-Sinai. She endues a long commute even though it’s a short distance for the privilege to work there. I think he will be SO HAPPY there. Good luck to him.

7 Kiran March 18, 2011 at 12:06 am

Can I expect celebrity gossip section here, in the near future? πŸ˜‰ congrats to the family.
Kiran recently posted..Lunch Box page

8 Allison K. March 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I had that same thought!
Allison K. recently posted..The New Normal

9 Jess@atasteofconfidence March 18, 2011 at 12:16 am

Congrats to your brother!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Guest Post- Walking my Talk

10 delia March 18, 2011 at 12:22 am

Woo! Strong work!

11 lindsay March 18, 2011 at 12:39 am

Woo-hoo! Congrats goes out to your brother! Now he’ll get all the celebrity gossip (although I bet he will have more important things to tend to… πŸ™‚ hah) What a great day!

12 Christine @ Bookishly Boisterous March 18, 2011 at 12:45 am

So awesome for your brother- I’m a little jealous of such an awesome career!

And, yes, Ikea is downright frightening on weekends. It’s like Disneyland for budget-conscious home decorating adults. Worse than Home Depot.
Christine @ Bookishly Boisterous recently posted..I Dont Read Movies- Thanks

13 Sana March 18, 2011 at 1:27 am

I am soo happy for your brother! You do save livesss! People eat healthy meals because of you. Never forget that!
Sana recently posted..Super Stuff!

14 Katie March 18, 2011 at 9:40 am

You have to be kidding me. What a ridiculous thing to say. Comparing a food blogger to a Physician is absurd.

15 Mr B from the Mile high D March 18, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Geez, lighten up Katie, everybody knows that when you get a case of the howling skitters you go straight to the food blogger not the physician. It’s sounds like somebody might have some car trouble ehh!!

16 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 18, 2011 at 1:54 am

Congrats to your brother! That’s not too far from me!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..A Perfect Ten

17 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East March 18, 2011 at 4:41 am

Congrats to your brother! Such an accomplishment!

I LOVE those pillows and think they would look great with your new couch!
Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East recently posted..Easy Dinner

18 Ada March 18, 2011 at 5:03 am

Wow, MAJOR congrats to your brother, Cedar Sinai is such an amazing hospital! Congrats to Adena also, derm is the hardest residency to match to!
Ada recently posted..Tenzan and Community Food and Juice

19 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] March 18, 2011 at 5:27 am

Ikea has the best food! I used to live in Norway, and I love eating at Ikea because all of the products remind me of when I was in Norway. Buy the Lignonberry jam!!!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..Why France Talking with Anne

20 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 18, 2011 at 5:40 am

hey, taking pictures of food is a way to save lives! you constantly inspire me to live healthier, which will save my life a few times over, I’m sure!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Dominion Road School

21 Rachel March 18, 2011 at 5:57 am

I read your blog every day, and as I’m currently stuck in a dentist’s waiting room I’ve been catching up on your adventures on my phone. I LOVE how your site has been set up for easy viewing on a phone, it’s great, thanks!

22 Meghann March 18, 2011 at 9:02 pm

haha thanks! I like it that way too πŸ™‚

23 katie March 18, 2011 at 6:27 am

Congrats to your brother!!! How exciting!!! Congrats to his girlfriend too!!

Love the green cardigan you are rocking ; ) Ikea is awesome, I could be in there all day!
katie recently posted.. Cup Kate

24 VeggieGirl March 18, 2011 at 7:04 am

MAJOR congratulations to your brother!
VeggieGirl recently posted..The Moment of Truth- Brief Follow-Up

25 Little Bookworm March 18, 2011 at 7:22 am

Congratulations to your brother! πŸ˜€
Little Bookworm recently posted..Fudge and Baked Porridge

26 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 18, 2011 at 7:48 am

Congrats to your brother! I’m sure he has worked so hard to be where he is today!
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..Back to Normal Life

27 Whitney March 18, 2011 at 8:04 am

Congrats on your Brothers success!!! I think taking pictures of food for a job is right up there πŸ™‚ You love it and its a fantastic job . Dream come true for both of you .
Whitney recently posted..Keeping Up

28 kristine March 18, 2011 at 8:06 am

Congrats to your brother πŸ™‚

I love meals like that– when everyone brings something.
kristine recently posted..Rutabaga Fries!

29 Emily March 18, 2011 at 8:32 am

Congrats to your brother! And props to him for going into internal medicine…primary care physicians are becoming scarce, so that’s really cool.
Emily recently posted..Up past my bedtime

30 Hope March 18, 2011 at 8:56 am

Congrats to your brother! That is so exciting! Your dinner looked great! I love spending time with family and friends πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Chicken Cacciatore in the Crockpot…

31 Taylor March 18, 2011 at 9:04 am

I second Emily above. Congrats to your brother, but MAJOR props to him for picking internal medicine! We already have a scary shortage of PCPs, and it will only become worse when the 32 million newly insured come into the system. Here’s to hoping there are many more like your brother who chose some kind of primary care!

32 Mimi March 18, 2011 at 9:17 am

I SO wish we had an Ikea around here. I would go pretty crazy, though!

Congrats to your brother! Although being a food blogger is quite different than being a doctor, it’s still a good thing to do β€” You help teach people about nutrition and exercise so they don’t need to see doctors as much!
Mimi recently posted..Live in the moment

33 Miranda March 18, 2011 at 9:37 am

Congrats to your brother! So awesome for him!

34 Melissa @ TryingToHeal March 18, 2011 at 9:48 am

congrats to your bro!!! that hospital is a really good one; he’s gonna love it here in CA!!!! and that means we can VISIT!!!!!! right?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..No Appetite

35 rebecca lustig March 18, 2011 at 10:03 am

aw congrats to your bro!! what a stunnerrr!

36 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me March 18, 2011 at 10:04 am

I love going to IKEA. I have those small black mirrors too and I love that pillow. I don’t know if it will jive with the brown but very cute!

Going to IKEA during the week is WAY better than the weekend. I can’t believe how mobbed it gets!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..St Paddy’s Day

37 Kacy March 18, 2011 at 10:24 am

That’s awesome! Congrats to your bro and his gf!
I’ve heard good things about the Ikea food court actually. Never been to an ikea though.

38 [SMASH] March 18, 2011 at 10:27 am

Congrats to your brother & his girlfriend; such happy news! Ooooh I need to hit up our IKEA soon. πŸ™‚

39 MyThy as in "Mighty" March 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

Delurking here…but just wanted to wish a warm and happy congrats to your bro & his gf! Cedars Sinai is an amazing hospital (w/ sporadic visits by celebs). Just tell him to live close to the hospital b/c driving & parking is a pain. It’s a real “mini town” all on it’s own! But there’s tons of cool hangouts (Beverly Center, rodeo drive, etc.) and restaurants nearby.

I envy your bro’s gf too! UCSF is my dream school and I can’t wait to apply soon for my nurse practitioner degree!

And yes, you’ve made a world of a difference with your blog! πŸ˜‰

40 Catherine March 18, 2011 at 11:58 am

Congrats to your brother!! I actually live right near Ceaders,it’s a great hospital πŸ™‚

41 Alaina March 18, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Congratulations to your brother!!! That is so exciting! I think my cousin was born in that hospital. πŸ™‚ What is he specializing in?
Alaina recently posted..I Heart March

42 Anne Weber-Falk March 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm

What did you and Derek decide to do with his fish print? Still on the wall? In a different room? In storage, for now, until later?

43 Allison G. March 18, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Congrats to your brother! What you do is important, too. You and the other healthy living bloggers have changed the way I think about food and exercise and it’s changed my life in so many ways. It’s sounds dramatic, but it’s true. Seriously, I’m so thankful for all of you. πŸ™‚

44 skinnyrunner March 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm

congrats to your bro and welcome to cali to them both!
skinnyrunner recently posted..I love coffee

45 Shayla March 18, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Congrats to your brother! Do you know where in CA he’ll be? I live in the peninsula, a city called San Mateo south of San Francisco. I know we have a lot of Cedar Sinai’s around here!! πŸ™‚

46 Amanda @ The Beauty Notebooks March 18, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Congratulations to your brother and his girlfriend!

Also, I didn’t reallize you were a twin! I have a twin brother, as well. Gotta love ’em πŸ™‚
Amanda @ The Beauty Notebooks recently posted..Fueling my Body

47 carin March 18, 2011 at 11:14 pm

congrats to your brother! i am also doing internal med and interviewed at cedars, but wanted to go back to the midwest. it’s a great program!

48 ARIANA March 18, 2011 at 11:38 pm

CONGRATS TO YOUR BROTHER AND MILLIONS FOR TAYLOR, RACHEL AND THE PROUD GRANDPARENTS.

49 Sarah K March 19, 2011 at 2:17 am

Congrats to your brother!
Sarah K recently posted..Today was

50 KatieTX March 19, 2011 at 1:31 pm

My sister is doing internal medicine too πŸ™‚ She matched at a hospital in Houston. Isn’t it so amazing how proud you are of your sibling!?

51 Diana@mymarblerye March 19, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Congrats to your brother Nd his gf! Derm competitive so props to her! I’m surprised they didn’t couples match! Anyways my fiancΓ© and I are headed to Denver! You can visit us too!
Diana@mymarblerye recently posted..It’s Official…

52 CampingGirl March 21, 2011 at 6:55 am

Congrats to your brother… that is an amazing hospital!!!!
IKEA is so fun! I love their accessories and my father loves their hotdogs πŸ™‚
CampingGirl recently posted..Date Night- Nohkam