Another Version

by Meghann on March 16, 2011

Let’s be honest here – Tampa is Derek’s town. πŸ™‚

He was born here, raised here, and (minus those 4 years in college) has lived here his whole life. He knows the city like the back of his hand (sort of) and arrives at most places using backroads my GPS will never pick up on.

Well… he knows his version of Tampa and that version of Tampa is the only version I’ve known since we’ve been dating. It’s a nice version, but it’s missing a few things that have me missing home.

My goal in moving here is discovering a new version. A version i’ve heard so many other people from the area rave on and on about. I know it’s out there and I’m hoping the girls I met tonight will help me discover it.

My new twitter friend, Kristin, was sweet enough to invite me out for Happy Hour with a few of her girlfriends tonight. All of the girls were really sweet and had nothing, but wonderful things to say about the Tampa area. They had the inside scoop on the local restaurant scene, food festivals, bars, etc. and are all going to the Rasa Lila Fest Yoga Festival I registered for next month. Yay for new friends!

We met at the Fly Bar & Restaurant in downtown where, oddly enough, a TBO.com Tweet-up was happening upstairs. What are the odds?

The bar was gorgeous! It had a wonderful modern, hip vibe that made me want to return for a fun cocktail in the near future. πŸ™‚

To start I ordered my first Cigar City Oatmeal Brown Ale.

IMG_5215.jpg

Cigar City is locally brewed in Tampa and I’ve been told the brewery needs to be top on my list to see. I’m waiting for my sister and Anthony to visit as an excuse to go , but after today’s beer I’m itching to go sooner. I have a new love for brown ales and this one was particularly rich and delicious. πŸ™‚

The Fly menu is small with an emphasis on shared plates. For a menu with bar food feel to it, the options were surprisingly gourmet and reasonably priced.

I ordered the Meditterean Garbanzo Beans which was a tomato based dish with chorizo and wilted spinach. It was flavorful and delicious.

And I stole a few bites of the table’s hummus and garlic frites.

IMG_5218.JPG IMG_5219.JPG

All delicious. πŸ™‚

All in all, the evening consisted of great drinks, great food, and great company. Tampa win. πŸ™‚

Before meeting the girls I snacked on an apple with a spoonful of chocolate toffee peanut butter.

And afterwards I had a serving of Moosetracks with a Thin Mint.

Derek and I are currently watching a reality show that features a moving company in Boston. They’re currently moving a piano to a third story apartment with the help of a crane. They really do have a reality show for everything, don’t they?

1 [SMASH] March 16, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Glad to hear you are getting welcomed into the community!
[SMASH] recently posted..SWOON And Then He Found Me

2 amanda March 16, 2011 at 10:43 pm

i look forward to reading about your adventures in discovering your version of tampa. i have no doubt you won’t soon know your new home like the back of your hand, too.

sounds like an awesome beer! new friends are the perfect thing to cheers to!

3 Steve Swann March 16, 2011 at 10:49 pm

You look just like your Twitter profile picture! You’re smart to eat something filling, sweet and healthy before going out partying with the girls. Good to get fortified that way instead of with a couple of martini’s for a head start as so many do, I have heard. ; ) Say, is that girl praying in the background of the picture with the beer bottle in the foreground?
Nice post.
Steve Swann recently posted..Did you observe national β€œSave a Spider Day”

4 Meghann March 17, 2011 at 10:53 am

Thanks! I like to think I look pretty similar to my twitter photo. πŸ™‚
And I’m pretty sure that girl isn’t praying. I just caught her off guard at a weird angle. πŸ™‚

5 Sana March 16, 2011 at 10:51 pm

You will make TONS of new tampa friends!!!

6 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 16, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Haha, yep, a show for eeeeeverything (unfortunately)!
Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing recently posted..Eating Healthy 101- The Basics

7 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 16, 2011 at 11:04 pm

wow I am really drooling over garbanzo beans lately, and i think I could recreate those! Just got to get my hands on some. Do they have them in New Zealand?…
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..Dominion Road School

8 Meghann March 17, 2011 at 10:58 am

Yes! They’re also called Chickpeas πŸ˜‰

9 Stephanie @ LiveCookLove March 16, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Yay for new friends!!

10 Kiran March 16, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Haha! Apparently, reality shows are mushrooming more than actual movies πŸ˜‰
Kiran recently posted..Lessons from Social Fresh- Facebook

11 Christine @ Bookishly Boisterous March 16, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Such a positive attitude! Moving and making friends is tough!
Christine @ Bookishly Boisterous recently posted..I Dont Read Movies- Thanks

12 Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy March 16, 2011 at 11:23 pm

that bar looks like such a fun atmosphere!
Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy recently posted..Banana Bread Muffins

13 Hilary March 16, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Looks like a fun night…and a delicious restaurant…and you all look lovely!
Hilary recently posted..March Break

14 Fit Chick Britt March 16, 2011 at 11:25 pm

You might have said this already but where did you get the toffee peanut butter. It sounds so good!
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..Trying Another Tri

15 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 17, 2011 at 12:18 am

I’m so glad you were able to meet new friends tonight – so fun! πŸ™‚

16 Alaina March 17, 2011 at 12:25 am

Oh, Deathwish Movers! I saw that advertised on the Travel Channel. I thought that was Boston that they were in. Seems like an…interesting show.

The last time I was in Tampa, I was in middle school and visiting Busch Gardens. To me, THAT was Tampa. Haha. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..I Heart March

17 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 17, 2011 at 12:32 am

mmmm that dessert looks amazing!!

18 Kimra March 17, 2011 at 1:35 am

I didn’t know there was a Fly in Tampa! There’s one just up the street from me in SF (and the owners’ other restaurant, Solstice). The food looks just as good there as it is here!
Kimra recently posted..A Dozen- and One More to Go

19 Meghann March 17, 2011 at 11:45 am

Yes! I saw on the website that the owner has another one on the west coast.

20 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East March 17, 2011 at 4:46 am

Glad you had a great time meeting new friends! The place you went to looks delicious!

21 Laura (Starloz) March 17, 2011 at 4:55 am

oh sweet place to meet. that’s beyond awesome. those fries sound tempting. also why have i never dipped apple into dark choc dreams, i think i’m missing out.
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..I’m learning- finally

22 Lauren March 17, 2011 at 6:57 am

That’s so great that you are finding good girl friends in Tampa. Looks like this city is going to be a good fit for you. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Movin On Up!

23 katie March 17, 2011 at 7:12 am

Loving the ice cream dessert, thin mints rock my world ; )

Glad you made some new friends, and Im sure you will meet a lot more!
katie recently posted.. Cup Kate

24 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 17, 2011 at 7:30 am

Yay for new friends! Looks like a grea tnight!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..preemptive intuitive eating

25 Grace March 17, 2011 at 8:12 am

Ah reality tv. It’s awesome that you are making new friends and discovering your new city!
Grace recently posted..Hi- my name is Grace…

26 Hope March 17, 2011 at 8:20 am

What a fun night! It’s great that you are making new friends in your new city! That restaurant looks awesome! I love the decor!
Hope recently posted..Chicken Cacciatore in the Crockpot…

27 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 17, 2011 at 8:24 am

I hope this version turns out well for you πŸ™‚
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..How And Why To Use Google Feedburner

28 Kaitlin March 17, 2011 at 8:30 am

So fun! Glad you could meet some ladies and do the girl thing of Tampa!
Kaitlin recently posted..10 Minute Meals

29 kalli March 17, 2011 at 8:57 am

oh so glad you are meeting new friends in tampa. it must be hard for it to feel like home just yet but it will come……..
kalli recently posted..Ready to Start Cooking

30 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 17, 2011 at 9:20 am

Yes they have reality shows about everything — last night I was watching a rerun of Storage Wars (love this show!) and the commercials for other shows are pretty funny.

I’m glad you’re getting settled in Tampa — looks like a great meal last night!
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..Back to Normal Life

31 Kacy March 17, 2011 at 9:32 am

It can be a huge adjustment to make your mark in a new city, but it seems like you’re fitting right in. I love local brews!
Kacy recently posted..And I thought running was a workout

32 Ali @ Ali Runs March 17, 2011 at 10:15 am

So glad you had fun! It’ll be fun to hear about more of your Tampa finds!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Half Marathon Goals

33 Christina March 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm

This post makes me happy! This is the Tampa I love. πŸ™‚

34 jenna@frombostonwithlove March 17, 2011 at 4:14 pm

That’s how we do it up here in Boston. Seriously, my friend’s couch was swung into through the living room window of their 3rd fl. apt by a crane b/c the stairs were too steep and narrow. Oh moving!!
jenna@frombostonwithlove recently posted..A Milestone

35 Allie March 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I just saw a commercial for that show and thought the same thing. Also, congrats on your move. I am jealous of how nice the weather must be there now! Is Tampa by any beaches? I have no clue being from the Northeast, my geography knowledge is somewhat stunted.

36 Carolyn H. March 17, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Good spot. My husband’s office is right across the street from Fly Bar.
Carolyn H. recently posted..Peace – Love- and Chocolate