On Fire

by Meghann on March 15, 2011

Woo hoo! My legs were on fire this morning!

Six speedy miles and I felt like I could easily have done more.

• Mile 1: 9:13
  • Mile 2: 8:37
  • Mile 3: 8:24
  • Mile 4: 8:24
  • Mile 5: 8:19
  • Mile 6: 8:19
  • Total: 51:17
  • Avg Pace: 8:32

That felt good.

I was really surprised how effortless it was to keep my pace around 8:30 this morning. I’ve done zero speed work since the Palm Beach Marathon in December and just the fact I can run any speed at all always surprises me.

On Monday I officially registered for the April 11th Iron Girl Half Marathon in Clearwater and I’m still not sure how I’m going to approach the race. I’m thinking a conservative speed will be nice. Maybe aiming for a 1:55:00 finish? It wouldn’t a PR, but – considering my current running shape – I’ll be thrilled to come anywhere near that. πŸ™‚

I kept picturing a parfait for breakfast during my run, but as soon as I walked in the door all I could picture was oatmeal.

In the bowl

• 1/3 cup Rolled Oats
  • 1/3 cup Water
  • 1/3 cup Milk
  • Pumpkin
  • Chia Seeds
  • Raisins
  • Cinnamon

On top

• Kashi Go Lean Crisp
  • Naturally Nutty Vanilla Peanut Butter
  • Strawberries

Great post-run recovery breakfast

We finished the trim on the walls yesterday ( or really Derek finished, you make one little mistake and all of a sudden you can’t be trusted with a paintbrush anymore :/). Today it’s all about organization. We may not have our couches yet, but we can at least have everything put in it’s place. πŸ™‚

1 Amanda March 15, 2011 at 9:59 am

I wish I had those strawberries! We have months before they are in season here and they look so good!!
Amanda recently posted..Making Maple Syrup

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 15, 2011 at 10:01 am

What a great run!! I also had one of those that-felt-amazing runs yesterday morning… LOVE that feeling! Hope you have a great day Meghann!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Hot Legs

3 Kara March 15, 2011 at 10:01 am

That is an awesome run, negative splits rule!!

I just ran my first marathon on Sunday and the thought of running that fast just makes my legs ache πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..We have a Stage 5 Clinger on our hands here

4 gabriella @ embracement March 15, 2011 at 10:01 am

Surprising speedy runs are always so nice! I’m hoping I can do the same on my 7 miles today. Your oatmeal looks delish with the fresh strawberries!
gabriella @ embracement recently posted..Picking Up Speed

5 Natalie March 15, 2011 at 10:09 am

That is a great run! I love your mug… Perfect for a good breakfast πŸ™‚

6 Megan March 15, 2011 at 10:12 am

I’m running the Iron Girl as well! This makes two races in a row we’ve both been at… it should be a tough one with the bridges, but it’ll be fun!

7 Meghann March 15, 2011 at 10:16 am

Maybe we should find a way to say hi then! I’ve heard the bridges are tough too!

8 Megan March 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm

We should! That would be fun! I’m looking forward to this race a lot. I apparently have a thing for women focused races.

I ran the Clearwater Halfathon that went over two of the three bridges we’ll go over in the Iron Girl. They’re pretty tough. I think it will be better this time because it was very cold and windy on that day. It made those bridges practically unbearable. It shouldn’t be nearly as cold this time around. We’ll rock it.

9 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods March 15, 2011 at 10:12 am

Wow! You are quite the speed demon! My best ( first and only) half marathon was 2 hrs 5 min. I was pretty proud of that considering that I hardly trained. Awesome breakfast! Loving those berries!
Jen @ keepitsimplefoods recently posted..Chili Baked Nachos

10 Meghann March 15, 2011 at 10:18 am

My first half was 2 hrs 6 min and I was darn proud of that time too! http://mealsandmiles.com/2008/12/06/my-first-half/

11 Alaina March 15, 2011 at 10:15 am

What a great run!! I only wish I was so lucky with not having ran long distances in a while.

And those strawberries look so good!
Alaina recently posted..I Heart March

12 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 15, 2011 at 10:23 am

Great run today!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Hummus and Avocado Crab Salad

13 kristy @ kristyruns.com March 15, 2011 at 10:27 am

So fast! May I please have some of your speed? Thanks! πŸ˜‰
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..A Vegan’s Dilemma

14 Ashley March 15, 2011 at 10:32 am

I had oatmeal this morning too. Yours looks really good and fresh, and your bowl is so cute.

15 Ali @ Ali Runs March 15, 2011 at 10:41 am

Great run!! I recently ran my first half and fell in love with the distance. I think it might be my new favorite. πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Half Marathon Goals

16 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run March 15, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’m planning on doing the Iron Girl half too. πŸ™‚ I haven’t registered yet, but I have my $10 off promo code waiting for me in my inbox.
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Things I Pose With

17 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 15, 2011 at 10:52 am

Awesome run! I would die of shock if I ever pulled off a 1:55 half marathon πŸ™‚ My goal for my race this weekend is 2:05 and that seems fast to me!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..A Perfect Ten

18 Rae March 15, 2011 at 11:11 am

Are you running the national marathon, too? I had thought I saw your name in the registration, but maybe not πŸ™‚ Way to keep a great pace!
Rae recently posted..Hittin the Sauce

19 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 15, 2011 at 11:11 am

I have purposefully messed up with painting so I don’t have to do it anymore πŸ™‚

Great run today!
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..Back to Normal Life

20 rebecca lustig March 15, 2011 at 11:22 am

nothing like a great run to start off the day right! great times!

21 JLee March 15, 2011 at 11:26 am

I’m running the Iron Girl half in Clearwater too! I’m excited, it’s my first half marathon! We should all meet up!

22 Maryann (The Balanced Bean) March 15, 2011 at 11:44 am

Congrats on the awesome run! And those strawberries looks so good!

23 Kiran March 15, 2011 at 11:49 am

Ahh.. That strawberries reminds me of grueling Florida summer. Hopeful Spring to stay put longer πŸ˜€
Kiran recently posted..A painful tribute

24 katka March 15, 2011 at 11:53 am

Hi, you are a speedy gonzales! I have been following your blog for a few days only, but I am so impressed! Have you ever monitored your heart rate? (Question comming from a halfmarathoner trying to become a full marathoner this autumn)

25 katie March 15, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Yay for organizing day, that is a fun part! Cant wait until you guys have it all done and when you get the new couch set!!

have a great day! xo
katie recently posted..Pretzel love

26 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 15, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Good run! I always imagine different breakfasts, but it’s always back to oatmeal for me!!

27 Christina March 15, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I was about to register the other day for the Iron Girl half… had my credit card in hand and then chickened out when I read that it starts at 7. I am SUCH a wimp when it comes to running in any sort of remotely warm weather. If it started at 6 I would be all over that!

28 mary March 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm

What a great run! I’m visiting Orlando in May. I’m excited to run in shorts and a tank top for a nice change. It’ s been unnecessarily cold in North Carolina the last few weeks.
mary recently posted..Holler!

29 Stacey March 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I love some good strawberries and I cant wait for them to be in season up here in the north!

30 Cate March 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Whoa! That is a great run!
I am running the IronGirl Half in Clearwater too! I’m excited πŸ™‚
Cate recently posted..Reading and Running at the Same Time

31 sarah (sarah learns) March 15, 2011 at 2:03 pm

what a great morning run! i love when that happens! πŸ™‚
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..mexican burger bowl a winner!

32 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm

yahhhh for organization!! I am so doing that today too–our extra bedroom is kinda a mess, haha πŸ™‚

33 Kacy March 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I had a run like that last night! Thought not quite as fast πŸ™‚ Good job!!
Kacy recently posted..And I thought running was a workout

34 Ellie @ The Mommyist March 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Beautiful strawberries. You know they are going to taste good when they’re red all the way through.
Ellie @ The Mommyist recently posted..Bad News- Good News

35 Melissa March 17, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I’m running the Clearwater Iron Girl as well! Its actually my first half. How bad are the bridges? Now I’m a little nervous! eek!

36 Meghann March 17, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I’ve heard the bridges are tough, but beautiful to run over. Good luck!!