Special Meatloaf

by Meghann on March 13, 2011

My sophomore year of college I moved into my very first apartment with my childhood friend Jordan.

100_0640.JPG

We both came from the dorms and were very excited about the prospect of having our own bedrooms, our own closets, and our own bathrooms in the new digs.

We were also excited about finally having our own kitchen.

100_0637.JPG

No more having to go one floor up or one floor down to use the community kitchen and no more mini fridge with a freezer that didn’t work. πŸ™‚

The kitchen was a BIG deal to us, so naturally we celebrated our first night in the new place by collaborating on our first meal as roommates.

100_0647.JPG

We followed Jordan’s Mom’s recipe for meatloaf, mashed potatoes, steamed green beans, and baked some frozen rolls in the oven.

100_0649.JPG

I’ll never forget that meal because it was the meal I fell in love with meatloaf. It was my first experience making it on my own and after that I was hooked. Meatloaf was easy and always delicious.

100_0648.JPG

I continued to specialize in meatloaf through college (even perfecting a ‘meatloaf for one’ recipe) and it’s still one of my favorite meals.

Except now a days it’s reserved for special occasions (like when the boyfriend spends the afternoon painting our living room). πŸ˜‰

Tonight’s meatloaf recipe was more of a ‘little of this’ and a ‘little of that’ feel than that first adventure, but is still loosely based off of Jordan’s Mom’s recipe we followed 6 years ago.

Meatloaf

• 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
  • Chopped Onion
  • Heaping handful of rolled oats
  • Spoonful of ground flaxseed
  • Worcestershire Sauce
  • Big Squirt of Ketchup
  • 1 Egg
  • Rosemary
  • S&P
  • Garlic Salt
  • Chili Power

Mix it all together, form a loaf, and bake at 350 for an hour.

Top with more ketchup. πŸ™‚

See? Easy peasy. I’m pretty suer meatloaf is one of those things that is impossible to screw up. That’s why I like it. πŸ™‚

On the side I steamed broccoli.

And roasted some red potato with rosemary ( LOVE potatoes and rosemary)

For dessert we had some Publix Moosetrack Frozen Yogurt.

Earlier this afternoon Derek and I popped a bag of Orville Redenbacher Popcorn.

They had sent me some samples in honor of their “Pop & Win” promotion. Apparently one in six bags is a winner. Not that bag though. Maybe next time. πŸ˜‰

I also have a good giveaway in the works. Stay tunes. πŸ™‚

Alright, the weekend is coming to an end.

Good night!

1 Evan Thomas March 13, 2011 at 9:39 pm

You mean mini-fridge’s freezers didn’t work back then, too, and no one’s figured out how to make them actually effective? I thought we lived in an age of technology.

2 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 13, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I always liked meatloaf as a kid, which was weird because I didn’t like ground beef. Nowadays, I”ll stick to the lentil loaf! πŸ™‚
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..preemptive intuitive eating

3 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 13, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I loved moving into my first apartment! It was so exciting. I never lived in the dorms — I lived at home for my first 2 years of college, then I got an apartment with a friend.

Meatloaf is the best — and yours looks great! And lots of ketchup is a MUST for meatloaf.
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..Back to Normal Life

4 PB Addict March 13, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Rosemary is one of my favorite ways to season potatoes! It smells so nice too πŸ™‚ And I agree, meatloaf is something that’s (almost) impossible to screw up; for me it’s a comfort meal.

5 Karolina March 13, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Meatloaf is one of those comfort foods that is just really good. Although the concept of it is just a little weird. Looks delicious though!
Karolina recently posted..I am only one- but I am still one

6 Angie March 13, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Meatloaf really is one of those “can’t screw up” meals but I love it as well because you can make so many variations on the concept! Have you tried stuffing it with cheese? Because it is UH-mazing!

7 Kristine March 13, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Meatloaf is the one thing that I CANNOT stand… ughhh the texture/looks…blahhh. I dont think it helps that the flu bug hit me as a child RIGHT after eating meatloaf… :-0!!

Strangely enough, my bf cant stand it either!!!
Kristine recently posted..Favourite Exercises- Glute-Hams Edition

8 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 13, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Can you believe that I have never actually had meatloaf?
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Paceline

9 michelle March 13, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I’m a big fan of meat loaf as well, except I can never make it as good as my moms
michelle recently posted..This is what a year of letters looks like

10 Mimi March 13, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I LOVE Moose Tracks. Favorite ice cream ever β€” In fact, that’s the think I’m missing the most since giving up chocolate for Lent!

11 Jamie @ getalivingsense March 13, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Meatloaf always creeped me out, but yours looks pretty good! Haha. I’ll have to make rosemary potatoes soon – they look delish!
Jamie @ getalivingsense recently posted..Thank Goodness for the Freezer

12 Bridget March 13, 2011 at 10:05 pm

It is possible to screw up meatloaf, but only if you are 16 and don’t think through things. My mom would often prepare meatloaf on a Sunday night and get us to put it in the oven after school so it would be ready when she got home. Unfortunately one night I must have been in a hurry because I just slid the whole loaf pan in the oven…without taking off the Saran wrap. When she walked in she could already smell something was wrong. I haven’t forgotten since, or lived it down 10 years later.
Bridget recently posted..Green Sock Half and Shamrock n Race 7 miler

13 Hannah (Running In Freedom) March 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I’m in a dorm now and getting an apartment next year and am definitely most excited about the kitchen! And a full sized fridge πŸ˜‰
Hannah (Running In Freedom) recently posted..I’ve been bad

14 Ashley March 13, 2011 at 10:17 pm

My freezer o my mini fridge sucks too. When ever I try to make the fridge cooler for it to work the whole fridge becomes a freezer.

15 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 13, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Yay for first college meals! I made my mom’s famous meatballs for the first time last year in my dorm kitch. I’m making them tonight in my New Zealand apartment kitch!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..What is American Food

16 Hilary March 13, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Mmm…I heart meatloaf also…my grandma’s recipe is the best! I’m also with you on the rosemary and potato combo. πŸ™‚
Hilary recently posted..More mushrooms

17 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 13, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I really miss meatloaf! I need a good vegetarian recipe πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..A Perfect Ten

18 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 13, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I love ketchup too!!!! πŸ™‚

19 Amanda @ Eating Up March 13, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Rosemary and potatoes is delicious. Good call!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..The Breakfast Bracket of Champions

20 Laura (Starloz) March 13, 2011 at 11:37 pm

i need a vegan meatloaf recipe, i might try fake mince.
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..I’m learning- finally

21 Jess @JessCantCook March 13, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I’ve never tried making meatloaf but I was always a big fan growing up…if you say it’s easy I might have to give it a try!
Jess @JessCantCook recently posted..Good food- minimal dishes

22 Alaina March 14, 2011 at 12:16 am

That has to be the perfect meal. πŸ™‚

My husband can make a killer meatloaf. It really is so good!
Alaina recently posted..I Heart March

23 sarah (sarah learns) March 14, 2011 at 1:30 am

i looooove meatloaf! and i just realized what a long long time it’s been since i made it! i really want to make it in a cupcake tin like monica (run eat repeat) did a while ago and then use ketchup frosting!!
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..springing ahead

24 Lauren March 14, 2011 at 6:39 am

Haha, that’s so funny. I remember eating meatloaf as a kid and HATING it! I think I still hate it but I’m dying to try a Lentil Loaf that sounds much better than my mom’s ground chuck recipe. I do remember always loving the ketchup glaze on top though.
Lauren recently posted..Operation Move- The First Night

25 Hope March 14, 2011 at 8:27 am

I never had meatloaf before until I made it last year in my own apartment. My mom never made it growing up. I have to say that I do like but I haven’t yet found a recipe that I love. I should try yours. It looks great!
Hope recently posted..Chicken Cacciatore in the Crockpot…

26 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run March 14, 2011 at 8:30 am

KEEP the beige wall. You don’t want to be “greened” out and it will be a nice compliment to the brown couches. (This is coming from a girl who loves accent walls, tho.)
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..The Day Before the Sarasota Half

27 Sarah K March 14, 2011 at 11:22 am

I can’t wait to have a kitchen next year! In my dorm we don’t even have a communal kitchen because someone started a fire in it about 10 years ago πŸ™
Sarah K recently posted..Goals of the Week

28 Kacy March 14, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I don’t enjoy making meatloaf because I’m not good with hand-on-raw meat action but I do enjoy a really good meatloaf on occasion. Looks great!