Project Move & Mix: The Walls are Green!

by Meghann on March 13, 2011

We have green walls!!!!

Any doubts I had about painting the walls green have completely subsided. I LOVE it! Really, Really LOVE it and can not wait to get our brown couches in here to complete the look! :)

The path to the green walls began last week when I came home with a handful of swatches.

IMAG0545.jpg

We each swatch to the wall and sat on it for a couple of days, trying to decide which ones we loved and which ones we couldn’t stand.

Slowly we narrowed them down.

Until we had our top picks.

A quick run to Lowes produced three mini samples of our absolute favorites.

We kept the paint cards on top so we could remember exactly which was which.

The green on the far right was our wild card and it failed miserably. It was too deep of a green and resembled dookie on the wall. The middle green was nice, but too light. The far left or ‘Zen Garden’ was just right! :)

Two gallons of the Valspar Signature Satin Finish please!

We chose the Valspar Signature paint after the paint mixer sold us on it. The paint has a primer mixed in, so – theoretically – only one coat is needed. One coat sounded fine to us. :)

IMG_5118.jpg

Bye, Bye white walls!

Tape. Tape. Tape.

Maddie was NOT a fan of painting. She spent most of the day either locked outside or tied up to a dining room chair. Poor thing.

In the process of moving and combining our things, we ended up with quite a few extra sheets. I was on the verge of throwing them out when my sister reminded me that the sheets would make perfect drop cloths when it came time to paint. Smart girl.

Derek trimmed the top

And I trimmed the bottom.

We made quite the team. :)

We broke for lunch after the trimming process was complete.

I whipped up really quick black bean burgers by dumping a can of beans in the food processor then adding some onion, bread crumbs, and spices.

We also had carrot + parsnip fries and pickles on the side.

Then it was back to work.

There may have been a small incident earlier in the day when I was *this close* to getting green paint on the floor board. After that I was banished from most things paint related, including using the roller. :/

The main living room wall continues into the kitchen and after many discussions on whether to stop the green at the kitchen or keep going, we decided to tape it and see if we liked it or not.

I wasn’t 100% convinced until the paint hit the blue line, but once it did I knew it was staying. In person it doesn’t look weird at all and I really love how the invisible line breaks up the kitchen from the rest of the room. :)

We held off on painting the original beige accent wall because I wasn’t sure if it needed to go or not.

What do you think? Keep the beige wall or paint it green too?

Decisions. Decisions.

We’re done for the day, but still have some minor details to take care of tomorrow. :)

Yippee!!!

1 Lisa March 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I love the green! It’s similar to the green I have in my bathroom. My shower curtain is opaque white with green bamboo.

2 jen @ taste life March 13, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Love the color!

3 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 13, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Wow, I love the color! Vivid enough to bring some vibrancy but doesn’t make you feel suffocated by color :) Good choice!

4 Amanda March 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I think it looks great! When we painted our living room we left one wall (the one with the windows) blank for weeks trying to decide what to do with it. We thought about doing a texture with the same green, a mural (yikes) or some other fun design, but ended up just painting it green like the rest of them. I think accent walls are really fun though…you can always get a big piece of artwork that has hints of green to tie everything back in.

5 Ali @ Ali on the Run March 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm

GREAT choice — that color looks awesome! It’s becoming a home and it’s so fun following the progress.

6 River March 13, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Looks good! I think keep the beige wall. You can always paint it when you get sick of it!

7 Kristy @ KristyRuns March 13, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I LOVE the green-brown combo! Y’all are doing an awesome job!

8 Freya March 13, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Looking super! I love painting – it’s great to have the radio on and get stuck in, cos time just flies :)

9 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East March 13, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I LOVE the color you guys picked. It looks great! I would keep one wall beige. I think the combo of beige with green will look great together.

10 Dori March 13, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Love the green color of the walls! Perfect. Definitely keep the beige accents. And I love the separateness of the kitchen. Great job kids.

11 Ashley March 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm

The greens so pretty, and I vote keep the accent wall.

12 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm

they look great!

a cross between zen perfect and a bowl of mint choc chip ice cream. I would either feel peaceful or hungry depending on my mood.

seriously, great job!!!!!!!!!

13 Michelle March 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Keep the accent wall

14 alison March 13, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Lovely color. My landlords painted most of our house an apple green color. It’s bright and cheerful, to say the least.
Green can really be a soothing color. I’m glad your fears were put to ease once you put the color on the walls.

As far as the beige accent wall goes, if you’re keeping your kitchen white, I’d paint that beige wall green, mostly because then you’d have three colors in that space, especially because the kitchen opens up to the living room. I’m not an expert by any means, but if I were you, that’s what I’d do.

15 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 13, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I love that color! I’d keep the beige wall myself — but I’d also paint the kitchen beige to keep it all in the same theme. We were going to do what you did (tape a line to break up the kitchen vs living room) but ultimately painted everything on the main floor the same color. I love how it turned out!

16 Matt March 13, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I say paint it ;)

17 Cara March 13, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I really like the color! It is very relaxing and the brown couches will look great!

18 mary March 13, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I really like the green paint! it looks real nice. I hope your couches are dark brown, it’ll look really sharp :)

19 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 13, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I love green!! It’s the color of both my bedroom and bathroom. I like the beige and green together- I think the lighter color really opens up the space.

20 Carolyn @ lovinlosing March 13, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Looks great!! :) I like the accent wall.

21 Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique March 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Looks great! Can’t wait to see the final product.

22 Brittney March 13, 2011 at 5:15 pm

That color is amazing!

23 Lauren March 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm

We had green walls in our last house and I LOVED them too. I think we have the same little glass round table. Love that table! :) Congrats on the painting. It looks great.

24 Fit Chick Britt March 13, 2011 at 5:22 pm

The green looks great! I love green in homes- so earthy. I would say paint the beige wall because otherwise you’ll have a white, green, and beige wall in technically the same room.

25 colleen March 13, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I vote to leave the beige wall. Use wall deco to pull the two wall colors together and it will help balance the room out. You don’t want to risk too much of a good thing with painting it green too.

26 Mimi March 13, 2011 at 5:32 pm

My basement is almost the same color and I love how much it brightens it all up! Looks great!

27 katie March 13, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I absolutely LOVE the green color! It will look amazing too with the brown couches!!!!! The place is looking good ; ) a girls touch will do that! ha! I know its team work, you both are making the place look great!!!

28 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] March 13, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Maddie looks so cute!

29 Claire March 13, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I’d paint the whole thing–even the kitchen!

30 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun March 13, 2011 at 6:19 pm

We have VERY similar taste in paint colors. Looks great! And like my house. LOL

31 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) March 13, 2011 at 7:17 pm

i love the green! our bedroom is painted a warm valspar green that we love, while our living/dining room area is painted a warm brick/curry red. I love the delineation between the living room and the kitchen. The Boy’s parents’ kitchen is yellow, and they actually didn’t paint the dining room area yellow to match, so there is a nice delineation where the yellow meets the white. it doesn’t look akwward at all!

32 Rachel March 13, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I love the green/beige combo. I say keep it that way! What color are you planning to do in the kitchen?

33 Molly March 13, 2011 at 7:40 pm

We make bean burgers the same way. It’s seriously my FAVORITE quick and easy meal!

34 Ali @ Ali Runs March 13, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I love that color on your walls!! It looks great and very refreshing. I can’t wait to see the finished product!

35 BroccoliHut March 13, 2011 at 8:22 pm

LOVE the color choice! Green is supposed to be a very peaceful color–at least that’s why my high school Spanish teacher allegedly graded our tests in green ink…Anyway, can’t wait to see what other decorating ideas you have!

36 Grace March 13, 2011 at 8:32 pm

That’s a very nice shade of green! I say stick with the one beige wall…I love accents walls! I’m sure it will look awesome with the brown couches!

37 Semisweet Courtney March 13, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I like the color! Makes the room feel home-ier. I say paint the beige wall, too! :)

38 Lauren @chigallauren March 13, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Love the green! And love the beige accent wall, I vote keep :)

39 caronae March 13, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Love the color ! It’s definitely perfect for the space and will look great with the brown furniture/accents. :)

40 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 13, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I love the color- it was totally meant to be!!!! :)

41 Holley March 13, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I love the green you chose! That will look great with brown couches – can’t wait to see it all put together!

42 Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy March 13, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I loveee the green! .. green is my favorite color!

I say keep the beige so then you have more colors to play with when decorating.

43 Candice March 13, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Robert and I did our home and I loved that we did it. Hope you are enjoying yourself. These are great memories that you will always have and cherish. Love you guys <3

44 erin March 13, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I would totally leave the was beige…I love green and you would have to go all the way up the foyer with it. It breaks up the green..looks great! Can’t wait to see it with furniture! Congrats on it all coming together

45 sarah (sarah learns) March 13, 2011 at 11:45 pm

the green looks great!!! :) i think you should paint the accent wall green too – especially since the kitchen is white. i think 3 colors is such a close space is a bit much.

46 Laura (Starloz) March 14, 2011 at 12:14 am

i’d keep the green/beige. it works together, i think.

47 Alaina March 14, 2011 at 12:19 am

Beautiful green! I think my bathroom was that color.

Listening to country music while painting? Awesome :-)

48 Amanda March 14, 2011 at 8:01 am

Love the color!!
When we moved into our house, every single room needed to be re-painted. We went through 47 gallons (including primer) before we were finished. I never want to see another can of paint again!!

49 Katy March 14, 2011 at 9:11 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE it — especially the line at the kitchen :)

50 Jenny @ Love Eat Run March 14, 2011 at 10:18 am

Ahh it looks so good!! I think the beige wall should stay…definitely adds to the room!

51 Elise March 14, 2011 at 2:33 pm

i love the green! my old room back home is apple blossom green, and i painted my last room in chicago green. <3 . i vote for keeping the beige for now, but keep the green paint on hand. see how you like it, and alter if you decide the beige its a no go, you can always change it — or potentially to a darker green to offset the room.

52 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 14, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I love the green! (although I would as 3 of my walls are that kind of green too! :) )

I say leave the beige wall.