Petite Treats

by Meghann on March 10, 2011

Fun Fact: Last month I registered my Starbucks Gift Card only because I knew they would send me a card for a FREE birthday drink if I did.

Another Fun Fact: Since I registered that gift card (on February 4th) I’ve been promoted to the Green Rewards Level

rewards.jpg

(source)

At this rate I’ll be GOLD by summer. πŸ˜‰

I cashed in that FREE drink coupon today for a Grande No-Whip Non-Fat Green Tea Frappuccino

i wanted to use my free coupon for something new and fun and this drink definitely hit both points. It was cold, refreshing, and the perfect treat on the rainy drive back to Tampa.

AND while I was ordering my drink the sweet barista reminded me it was free Petite Treat Day (as if I would forget!) and offered me one of the four or five different petite options to sample with my drink.

Even though I had been giving the decision a lot of thought, when he asked which treat I wanted, I froze. He politely stated all the options again and, without even thinking about it, I blurted out that I wanted to try the Rocky Road Cake Pop.

Chocolate? Marshmallows? Nuts? It sounded good to me!

The chocolate ‘cake’ was so moist it reminded me of a chocolate fudge brownie. I loved the hard chocolate coated with the crunch of the nuts and soft marshmallow bites. It was delicious and I’m very tempted to return to Starbucks tomorrow to try the Salted Caramel Bar that also caught my attention (the promotion goes through the 12th!).

Did you try any of the treats today? Any favorites? Any misses?

Dinner tonight was inspired by Heather and Mark of Hangry Pants and their adorable calzone how-to video. I’m easily influenced. Obviously. πŸ˜‰

As soon I got back to Tampa I prepped some pizza dough for the calzones following the recipe on the back of a packet of pizza crust yeast I had on hand.

Then I split the dough in two. One for Derek and one for me. πŸ™‚

I didn’t exactly have all of Heather’s ingredients, so I improvised with what I had on hand.

Red Onion, Carrot, Mushrooms, Olives, Yellow Squash, Ham, Spinach, and Mozzarella

Into the oven at 420 for 15 minutes

Check out that horizontal cross section! So many pretty colors mixed with the melted cheese. Yum!

Served with some dipping marinara sauce

So glad I read Hangry Pants today. This dinner made my mouth and belly very happy. πŸ™‚

I dug into the Girl Scout Cookie for dessert.

Apparently the original plan of Derek polishing the box off was an epic fail. Doh! Oh well, more for me. πŸ™‚

Off to pretend like I understand what they’re saying on ESPN.

Good Night!

1 Lindsay March 10, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I am a Starbucks gold card member– so worth it! They send you a brand new card personalized with your NAME on it, so you can feel VIP! Also, they send out additional coupons every so often, like for free oatmeal or free breakfast sandwich. Totally worth it. I really want to try the cake pops!
Lindsay recently posted..On The GO!

2 Kate March 10, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I have a gold card, too! I kinda think it’s indicative of a slight caffeine addiction though πŸ˜‰

3 Allison @ OneWhiteTulip March 10, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I’m suddenly very mad at myself for forgetting about the Petite Treats today! Oh well. I will make it part of my Friday celebration! Then I too can be paralyzed with indecision when asked which one I want! =p

Good luck with ESPN…

4 Vikki March 10, 2011 at 9:52 pm

E-books instead of ESPN? Granted, if I had ESPN, I’d totally be watching. Its basketball tournament time and I LOOOOVE this time of year. When it is time for the NCAA Tournament, you and Derek should fill out a bracket. Winner gets control of the TV for a week.

5 Rebecca March 10, 2011 at 9:53 pm

i tried the peanut butter cup mini cupcake and it was just eh. definitely not worth the 120 cals, just not enough taste/richness…i should’ve gone with the cake pop!

6 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 10, 2011 at 9:55 pm

No Starbucks for me today — there is one on my way to work but it such a hassle to get over there that I hardly ever go. But that cake pop looks delicious, I’ll have to venture over there sometime soon!
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..Back to Normal Life

7 Cate March 10, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Looks like I need to register my gift card – those are some great perks!
The green tea frappuccino is one of my favorite drinks at Starbucks. So tasty! The petite treats sound good too. I need to go to Starbucks! πŸ™‚
Cate recently posted..Reading and Running at the Same Time

8 tracey March 10, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I went for the mini carrot cake cupcake today. Cake was moist & yummy, and icing was not sickening sweet like many cream cheese icings are. Yummo! I’m going for a cake pop tomorrow.

9 Sana March 10, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Cake pops are the new cupcake!

10 River March 10, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I looove Green Tea Frappucinos! New favourite Starbucks drink for sure.
River recently posted..Beauty Review- Moisture Milk – Marc Daniels

11 Ashley March 10, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Salted Caramel Bar!!!! Do it!!!! It was amazing.

12 mitzi @ my nikon eats food March 10, 2011 at 10:15 pm

i need 8 more stars to reach gold!! that cake pop looks so good, i must take advantage of free petite treat day tmrw!!

13 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 10, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I’m with Ashley—DOOO the salted caramel bar and let us know how it is!!! πŸ™‚ That cake pop looks amazing—what is the promo, I’d love to get in on that action!

14 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 10, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Love calzones!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Meet The McRunner

15 Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks March 10, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I tried the peanut butter cupcake. Pretty good!
Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks recently posted..Sticking to the Schedule

16 erica March 10, 2011 at 10:31 pm

i’ve been debating getting that starbucks card…..and those petite treats!
erica recently posted..modeling is tough

17 Michelle March 10, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Go for GOLD! I have one and I feel very special every time I’m at a Starbucks (the baristas also know me and my kids by name — not sure if there is good or bad?).

Oh ESPN. Pretty soon you will be spouting off facts about teams and athletes you couldn’t care less about!
Michelle recently posted..I Usually Hate BOTH of These Things

18 Heather March 10, 2011 at 10:44 pm

So glad you read Hangry Pants today too.

Your calzones look wonderful!

19 Meghann March 11, 2011 at 7:18 am

I read Hangry Pants every day. πŸ™‚

20 Anna March 10, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I tried the Birthday Cake Pop today and it was disgusting. The consistancy of the cake reminded me of a biscuit that hadn’t fully cooked, it was doughy. Also, the taste of the coating wasn’t appealing to me. I should’ve tried the caramel bar.

21 Karolina March 10, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I’ve always wanted to try the green tea frapp, but haven’t ever gotten up the courage to try it (i tend to order the same 2 things over and over again). Looks good though!
Karolina recently posted..I am only one- but I am still one

22 Carolyn @ lovinlosing March 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I had the salted caramel bar and I give it two thumbs up!!! Yum!
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..Confession Thursday

23 Jessica March 10, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I had the red velvet whoopie pie and it was really yummy!! I could actually taste the chocolate in the cake part, but it did make my hands red which is not favorable, but it was free, so I’ll suffer haha πŸ™‚

24 s March 10, 2011 at 10:59 pm

yum! i’m so checking out the petite treat thing tomorrow.

25 VeggieGirl March 10, 2011 at 11:06 pm

YES!!! I tried the Red Velvet Cake-flavored Whoopie Pie at Starbucks today. DEEEELICIOUS.

26 Caitlin March 10, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Uhm…is there ever any other reason to sign up for rewards? My Aveda birthday freebie card just came in the mail today, I’m still waiting on Starbucks! Then again, my birthday isn’t until next Tuesday =)

Love your blog, check out mine if you have the time! Reading makes me miss FL, though. Something I never thought I’d say.

-C
Caitlin recently posted..and a bubble burst

27 p.d.b. March 10, 2011 at 11:21 pm

i tried the birthday cake pop today and it was soooo good. too good lol.

28 Dori March 11, 2011 at 12:22 am

Yum calzone! Derek is a lucky man. So I have a registered Starbucks card so can I just go there on my birthday or do I need a special coupon?
Dori recently posted..DSB Favorite Things &amp Photo Caption Contest

29 Dori March 11, 2011 at 12:23 am

Ignore my last comment. I am drunk. You received a card. So how far before your bday did you get it? Should I be angry I didn’t get one yet (March 21)? Throw a fit?
Dori recently posted..DSB Favorite Things &amp Photo Caption Contest

30 Meghann March 11, 2011 at 7:19 am

I didn’t get mine until after my birthday!

31 Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free March 11, 2011 at 2:13 am

I made my mom take me to starbucks after my dentist appointment today so I could get a coffee and I could surprise her with a free treat! She got the rocky road cake pop too and said the exact same thing about it being really fudgy!
Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free recently posted..Girl Talk and Surprise Soup

32 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 11, 2011 at 4:52 am

YUM! Calzones sound soooo good!

I don’t go to Starbucks very often, so I didn’t know about the petite treats. So cute! That cake pop looks amazing.
J3nn (Jenn’s Menu and Lifestyle Blog) recently posted..Should Be Bed Kitchen &amp Beyond

33 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East March 11, 2011 at 6:32 am

That cake pop looks sooooo good. I miss not living near a starbucks!

Your calzone looks absolutely delicious. How long did it take you to make from start to finish? Yum!

34 Meghann March 11, 2011 at 7:20 am

Not long. I prepped the dough ahead of time and assembling and baking took 25 minutes tops all together.

35 Angela March 11, 2011 at 6:48 am

I had the birthday cake pop and wasn’t a huge fan. I have made my own cake pops before and thought mine were much better! Hmmmm, maybe I should sell mine to Starbucks! :0)

36 Kara March 11, 2011 at 7:39 am

I’d love a cake pop, my Starbucks needs to start carrying them!!

I’ll have to look into that card thing, my husband LOVES starbucks and their lattes get in through some tough mornings at work. πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Five Fun Facts Friday

37 Lauren @chigallauren March 11, 2011 at 8:10 am

I love the pretty colors! Makes me want to eat it that much more!!
Lauren @chigallauren recently posted..Chicago Gal Eats- Vegan Adventures

38 Hope March 11, 2011 at 8:21 am

That cake pop looks so good! I am definitely taking advantage of that promotion this weekend! Those calzones look delicious!

Oh, and I totally feel ya on the ESPN thing. Every single time I turn on a tv in the house, the channel is on ESPN or Comcast Sports Net! I can’t stand it! By now I can probably recite to you every single sportscaster’s name! Blah!
Hope recently posted..Rainy Sunday- Dentist &amp PF Changs…

39 Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy March 11, 2011 at 9:12 am

yay for free drinks and treats! I didn’t know that you have to pay for wifi there?
Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy recently posted..ABC’s of Julie

40 Meghann March 11, 2011 at 11:07 am

You don’t. That image is outdated. πŸ™‚

41 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 11, 2011 at 9:43 am

The calzone looks insane! I love the colors. Mayhaps I should find a gluten-free alternative : )

42 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me March 11, 2011 at 10:05 am

I’m actually not a huge Starbucks fan. I like the atmosphere but not the actual food/drink. To each their own!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..It’s the Little Things

43 Kacy March 11, 2011 at 10:37 am

That cake pop looks insane. I want one.
Kacy recently posted..I Want Candy

44 Sarah K March 11, 2011 at 12:56 pm

The green tea frapps are my all time FAVORITE Starbucks order (although I usually get whipped cream because it’s not often I’m treated to one). Every time I do have one though, I get the funniest questions about what I’m drinking.
Sarah K recently posted..Songs in My Head

45 Brittany March 11, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I go to Starbucks ALL the time, so I registered my card last year…and it took me no time at all to get to the Gold level. Addict? I think so πŸ™‚
Brittany recently posted..Splurge v Steal – Spring Fashion

46 Allison K. March 11, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I worked at Starbucks right after college….and only TWO people, in the ENTIRE time I worked there ordered the Green Tea Frappucino. But apparently people who drink them LOVE Them.
Allison K. recently posted..Whole30-Days 11-14

47 Hilary March 11, 2011 at 5:19 pm

YUM! I was going to go in for a petite sweet yesterday, but I didn’t….:(….totally regretting it now! Looks like a yummy supper also…it has been ages since I made calzones!
Hilary recently posted..Beer and Butter Tarts

48 Danielle March 11, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I have those pizza pans πŸ™‚ they’re awesome for a crispy bottom.
Danielle recently posted..Spinach Parmesan Dip

49 Emily March 12, 2011 at 6:14 am

i tried the chocolate pb cupcake AND the salted caramel bar. both delicious. i just don’t think you can go wrong with these petite treats!
Emily recently posted..Will Run for Girl Scout Cookies

50 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 12, 2011 at 8:46 pm

what is this cake pop phenomenon!!! They are not doing that at Starbucks here in New Zealand and I’m jealous!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..What is American Food

51 Emma March 12, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I might have some how ended up at Starbucks two days in a row to get my petite treats….. Chocolate PB Cupcake…yummmm πŸ˜€