My Taste Buds are Warped

by Meghann on March 10, 2011

I have a new ‘Meghann is either a creative genius or has deformed taste buds‘ recipe for you to try.

My Sister pretty much gave me free reign of her pantry and fridge for lunch and told me to ‘go at it.’ I found a bag of corn tortillas, an apple, and some cheese that sparked an idea.

I covered one corn tortilla with the sliced apple and some cheddar cheese

Then smeared the other side with apple butter.

Put them together, bake it in a toaster, and what do you got?

A very odd Sweet Apple & Cheese Corn Tortilla Sandwich.

Impressive, no?

I really liked it, but – you know me- I really dig that sweet and savory combo. WARNING trying to eat this as a ‘sandwich’ is a messy situation. :

On the side I had some raw green beans (LOVE the CRUNCH) and some Honey Roasted Peanuts.

Leaving for TAMPA now.

Totally stopping at Starbucks along the way.

Cake Pop here I come!

or should I get the Peanut Butter Cupcake? πŸ˜‰

1 Fit Chick Britt March 10, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I actually eat apple quesadillas fairly often πŸ™‚

2 Meghann March 10, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Yes, but do you use corn or flour tortillas? πŸ˜‰

3 Fit Chick Britt March 11, 2011 at 11:23 am

I do love corn tortillas but I usually use wheat. I’ve never tried it with apple butter either.

4 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food March 10, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I LOVE the combo of sweet and savory! I have yet to try apples & cheddar…but I love the combo of apples and blue cheese πŸ™‚
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Giveaway! Terra Blues and More…

5 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 10, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I think adding sweetness to just about anything is delicious. Your tastebuds aren’t warped to me!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..A Pain in the Butt

6 Kara March 10, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Cake pop!!

I don’t think I like half the things you eat, but I really admire the creativity that goes into it. It’s better than my boring PB sandwich or pasta with cheese. πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Taper crazies

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 10, 2011 at 1:19 pm

My vote is for the PB cupcake!! I still have yet to try the apple and cheese combo but it’s one I keep seeing over and over on blogs. I think your tortilla looks great!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..What I learned at Schwinn training

8 Freya March 10, 2011 at 1:27 pm

That looks delicious!
I vote PB cupcake πŸ™‚
Freya recently posted..Baby food

9 melissa (fitnessnyc) March 10, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I was actually expecting much weirder :)! That sounds pretty good!
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Lent the March New Years

10 Shanna, like Banana March 10, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I’m getting the PB cupcake tomorrow..I’ve scheduled it in!
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..POM and Kauai weddings are both wonderful!

11 Jessica@tastyandtrim March 10, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I’m quite intrigued by that apple and cheese corn tortilla sandwich! I may have to give it a try πŸ™‚
Jessica@tastyandtrim recently posted..I Scream- You Scream- We All Scream…

12 jen @ taste life March 10, 2011 at 1:43 pm

That combo actually doesn’t sound weird at all!
jen @ taste life recently posted..Respect Your Body- Quiz Edition

13 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 10, 2011 at 1:46 pm

That doesn’t look odd to me! It actually looks really good!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..orange-date breakfast bake

14 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 10, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Cake pop!!!

The meal sounds good, except I wouldn’t have used corn tortillas — that is the odd part for me!
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..Back to Normal Life

15 Hope March 10, 2011 at 1:47 pm

That sounds like an interesting combo but I’d totally try it! My vote is for the peanut butter cupcake. Yum! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Rainy Sunday- Dentist &amp PF Changs…

16 Marina March 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I love apple and cheese combo!
And I think you should get the cupcake πŸ™‚
Marina recently posted..the art of listening

17 Katy (The Singing Runner) March 10, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Looks interesting but delicious! I would eat it! πŸ˜‰

18 Lindsay March 10, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I LOVE the combo of apples and cheese- it’s actually my favorite dipper at the Melting Pot (fondue)

Get the cake pop! They look so cute πŸ™‚
Lindsay recently posted..On The GO!

19 Val @ Balancing Val March 10, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I think 80% of my comments on your blog revolve around me telling you how brave you are for your food flavor combos . . .

Let me up my percentage by 5% and say . . . YOUR BRAVE πŸ˜€

20 Ashley March 10, 2011 at 2:04 pm

It sounds interesting. I don’t think I would have thought of it. Have a great drive back! πŸ™‚

21 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me March 10, 2011 at 2:08 pm

This actually sounds delicious! I love apples…pretty much in everything! lol
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..It’s the Little Things

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 10, 2011 at 2:17 pm

That actually is a GREAT combo!! Love it πŸ™‚

23 Meaghan March 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Definitely doesn’t seem warped or weird to me! Looks really good actually! πŸ™‚
Meaghan recently posted..Meaghan’s Got Her Workout Groove Back

24 Alaina March 10, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I think that combination sounds and looks amazing!! I love mixing cheese, apples and peanut butter. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..I Heart March

25 River March 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I have to try this! Sounds good.
River recently posted..Beauty Review- Moisture Milk – Marc Daniels

26 Monica C. March 10, 2011 at 2:34 pm

The weird part is the apple butter. But don’t trust me; I would have just had melted cheese on the tortillas with sliced apples on the side – hold the apple butter!!
Monica C. recently posted..A Meme

27 Stefanie @TheNewHealthy March 10, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I think we share the same tastebuds because I would eat this for sure! Anything sweet and savory has my heart! πŸ™‚

28 Stacey March 10, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Mmm cheese and apple – it’s a winning combo. I would never have thought of putting it in a tortilla though. Crunchy!

29 Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free March 10, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Cake pops! You really do love the savory/sweet combo woah!
Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free recently posted..Girl Talk and Surprise Soup

30 Molly March 10, 2011 at 2:50 pm

That looks delicious. Although a lot of people have ALSO told me that I have warped taste buds, so perhaps I’m not the most objective judge?
Molly recently posted..Amazing STL eats

31 Ali @ Ali Runs March 10, 2011 at 2:53 pm

My grandpa always used to say, “apple pie without cheese is like a huge without a squeeze.” Maybe that’s applicable in this situation as well? πŸ˜‰
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Ali’s ABCs

32 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 10, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I love that you used apples with the cheese! You are so smart!!! πŸ˜€ That is like the perfect combination!! πŸ˜€

xoxo
Kathleen
Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner recently posted..Does Your Breakfast Make You Amazing

33 Chelsea March 10, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I love apples and cheese! I’m from New England; we learn to eat our apple pie with cheese at a young age. Just got back from Starbucks and I went with the salted caramel sweet bite – yum!

34 Jeni @ stepping out March 10, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Oh my word! That looks absolutely amazing!
Jeni @ stepping out recently posted..Just checking in

35 Cat March 10, 2011 at 4:01 pm

It’s not that weird! There is such a thing as Apple and Cheddar Pie! http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/apple-cheddar-pie.html

36 Kacy March 10, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I’d totally go with the Cake Pop, they’re just so fun. I love sweet and savory combos, so I won’t knock it!
Kacy recently posted..I Want Candy

37 Kate March 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm

That’s not weird at all!

(Says the girl who grew up always putting a slice of cheese on apple pie, though, so maybe it is?)

38 Colleen @ ColleenontheRun March 10, 2011 at 4:24 pm

That sounds amazing! I love the savory/sweet combo too – at a restaurant last night, I had white cheddar biscuits with ham and apple butter. So good!

39 lauren March 10, 2011 at 4:40 pm

i got the salted caramel square and it was SO good. My two co-workers got the carrot cake cupcake per recommendation by the barista, and the other got the birthday cake cake pop. you really cant go wrong!

40 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 10, 2011 at 4:52 pm

oooh I think it actually looks pretty tasty!

41 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 10, 2011 at 5:03 pm

That’s not strange at all! Apple and cheese are amazing together.

42 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 10, 2011 at 5:14 pm

We have such similar tastes in food- I would totally (and I have!) eaten something like that πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Food Rut- Be Gone!

43 Ashley March 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Get the cake pop! I just had the Rocky Road one at my desk and it was to-die-for delicious. The cake was so moist. Love.

44 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life March 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm

peanut butter cupcake DEFINITELY!

As for that lunch… I’m not so sure. lol
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..25Γ—2

45 Alexa @ Simple Eats March 10, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Looks good enough to try! Apple butter + cheese make anything delish!

46 Semisweet Courtney March 10, 2011 at 5:51 pm

You must try apples and brie! Yum! πŸ˜€
Semisweet Courtney recently posted..Courtney’s Feelin’ Crafty – Workout Book

47 Lily's Health Pad March 10, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Hmmm….Meghann….you eat the weirdest things.

48 Caitlin March 10, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I hope you try the cake pop—I want to know how it is!!

49 Meredith March 10, 2011 at 6:41 pm

that actually sounds really good!

50 Kiran March 10, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Weird flavor combos, but I love crunchy raw beans πŸ˜‰
Kiran recently posted..Noodle soup

51 Maryann (The Balanced Bean) March 10, 2011 at 7:59 pm

That sounds like something I would love!! If your taste buds are warped, so are mine πŸ™‚
Maryann (The Balanced Bean) recently posted..Ive Got An Itch

52 Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy March 10, 2011 at 8:05 pm

go for the peanut butter cupcake!
Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy recently posted..ABC’s of Julie

53 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 10, 2011 at 8:26 pm

YUM I do this identical thing but with whole wheat bread and a George Forman Grill!!!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..6K Coastal Challenge!

54 Hilary March 10, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Sounds YUM! I love sweet/savoury and apple and cheese…and I could have gone to Starbucks today for a freebie but didn’t…kinda kicking myself ’cause I won’t have the chance tomorrow! πŸ™
Hilary recently posted..Beer and Butter Tarts

55 Ashley March 10, 2011 at 9:18 pm

mm I was just thinking how I wanted to make a sandwich out of the tortillas I just bought! I will have to try this one

56 Faith @ lovelyascharged March 10, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I love raw green beans too, especially dipped in Hummus! As far as the sandwich…it actually sounds quite intriguing!

So, you’re going to have to drive to Brandon to check out Cheddar’s. Fantastic food, awesome big-azz margaritas, and unbeatable prices. Dooooo eeeeet!

57 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen March 11, 2011 at 9:17 am

There is NOTHING weird about apples and cheese. Especially delicious pairings include brie + green apples and pink lady apples + white cheddar. Also, any tart apple + gorgonzola.
Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen recently posted..Cran-Beefy Stew