Physique 57

by Meghann on March 8, 2011

When I was in Vermont last month – between skiing, drinking my weight in wine, and eating gourmet meals prepared by the house chef (Bo πŸ˜‰ ) – I had the pleasure of discussing unique NYC workouts with Melissa from Fitness NYC. She was raving about Core Fusion (which I tried last year) and Physique 57.

Physique 57 is always in the gossip mags as ‘the’ celebrity workout. It’s a 57 minute routine that uses intervals to target different muscle groups and overload them to the point of fatigue. Melissa agreed that it was tough and one of her favorites in the city.

She also told me she had a contact at Physique 57. One thing led to another and this box of goodies arrived at my doorstep the other week.

A new DVD work out to try? Yes please!

This morning I gave the original 57 minute full body workout a try.

IMG_8897.jpg

It’s hard to compare a DVD to a full class because the DVD doesn’t provide the energy and push you’ll get in person, but overall I would say the DVD was great. Each muscle group was targeted, pushed to fatigue, and then brought in for a stretch. I really enjoyed the stretches between intervals because it sort of broke the DVD up some.

I’m usually not a fan of work out DVDs that are longer than 30 minutes because I lose interest, but this one kept me interested and really flew by. I give it two thumbs up!

Plus you get to use a ball in the work out. Who doesn’t love cute bouncy balls?

Thanks for sharing Melissa! πŸ™‚

After my hour DVD (which I did in the living room while Derek prepared his breakfast…. awkward…) I made a delicious breakfast of yogurt and a left over pretzel from last night’s pretzel fail.

The yogurt was a small container of Mango Chobani with a 1/4 cup of Uncle Sam’s Strawberry Cereal on top.

When I baked the pretzels last night I coated them with a cinnamon guar mix to give them a sweet taste. This morning I smeared on the Vanilla Peanut Butter and paired the pretzel with fresh strawberries.

Sad News

This morning I watched last night’s series finale of Greek.

cast-of-greek.jpg

The finale had be choking back a few tears. Not only was I sad the show was leaving, but it brought back similar feelings I once felt leaving college myself 4(!) years ago. That leaving my friends of the past four years and having to start fresh all over again feeling. Leaving college is tough and I thought Greek simulated those feelings perfectly.

If you’ve never seen Greek before, I highly recommend it. The majority of the seasons are available on DVD. Add them to your Netflix queue now and fall in love with the characters just like I did. πŸ™‚

1 Angela March 8, 2011 at 10:14 am

I am going to miss Greek as well! I’m also happy to hear back what you think about the new workout. I’ve never even heard of it before!
Angela recently posted..Using Online Resources to Teach Yourself German

2 Chelsey (Cookteen) March 8, 2011 at 10:14 am

I have wanted to try Physique 57 for a while but it seems SO HARD!
Chelsey (Cookteen) recently posted..Olive Oil Walnut Muffins

3 michelle March 8, 2011 at 10:15 am

I have the first season on DVD but haven’t watched it yet. Might give it a try tonight.

4 Alaina March 8, 2011 at 10:20 am

Physique sounds like a good DVD to try out. Hopefully the instructor isn’t as annoying as Tony from the P90X videos. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..I Heart March

5 Physique 57 March 8, 2011 at 10:31 am

Isn’t it just the best when a package of goodies lands on your doorstep? Glad to hear you enjoyed the workout! What part of the Classic 57 Minute Full Body Workout did you find most challenging? Would love to hear your feedback.
Physique 57 recently posted..NEW! March Class Schedule at Spring Street

6 Meghann March 8, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Yes, the work out was great! My favorite intervals were the ones on out toes with the bar. That killed my legs! πŸ™‚

7 Hope March 8, 2011 at 10:37 am

I used to watch Greek religiously but this season it was airing the same time as the Bachelor so I had to stop watching it. I am so far behind! I need to catch up quick! I’m sad that it ended.
Hope recently posted..Rainy Sunday- Dentist &amp PF Changs…

8 Ashley March 8, 2011 at 10:42 am

I should have contacted Physique directly but instead I ordered the set on Gilt this week! Hopefully it will arrive today so I can start! πŸ™‚ I look forward to comparing it the class which I’ve reviewed on my blog previously.
Ashley recently posted..Paying the Consequences…

9 Meg March 8, 2011 at 10:43 am

No! I’ve been catching up on Greek on Hulu, but had no clue it was ending! I love that show! Hopefully we’ll see the actors elsewhere soon, and not just as horny murderers…if you missed it, Evan played the Craigslist Killer on the Lifetime movie and it took me forever to place his face and when I connected the two, I was like, NOOOO, not Evan!

10 Meghann March 8, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I know! Actually the only reason I watched the Craigslist Killer was because he was in it! I have a little Evan crush. πŸ™‚

11 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 8, 2011 at 10:50 am

I tried Physique 57 once last fall and it was KILLER!! Such an amazing workout…my quads were burning the next day. I just wish the classes weren’t so dang expensive!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Vinyasa Flow

12 Ali @ Ali Runs March 8, 2011 at 10:55 am

I have Physique 57 dvd and love it! It definitely is more entertaining than some of the other dvd’s I’ve tried. I hope to hear how the co-habitating is going so far πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Ali’s ABCs

13 Katy (The Singing Runner) March 8, 2011 at 10:56 am

I never watched Greek but I really want to! Definitely going to watch the seasons on DVD!

14 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 8, 2011 at 10:56 am

I didn’t know Greek ended! I’m onto chapter 5 on netflix and love the show. It’s so nice being able to watch it whenever I want.

15 grace b March 8, 2011 at 10:58 am

Just finished the finale of Greek! I got totally hooked on this show almost 2 years ago out of sheer boredom and it was so fun. Totally got sad over this finale–I’m graduating in two months!!

Physique 57 looks interesting.

16 Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing March 8, 2011 at 10:59 am

I watched some of Greek a while back on Hulu, but I guess I’ll have to add it to my Netflix queue. I enjoyed what I did watch.
Carolyn @ Lovin’ Losing recently posted..Breakfast for Dinner

17 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me March 8, 2011 at 11:05 am

I just read a review on this workout DVD’s. It got a thumbs-up. But the whole kit is pretty expensive…at least to my cheap ass standards lol
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Much Mad Men and the ABC’s

18 wendy sue March 8, 2011 at 11:07 am

so jealous of your physique 57 dvds. I have wanted to try for a long time, but don’t want to purchase in case, I don’t love and the dvds are expensive.
wendy sue recently posted..Trim Tuesday- Tasty Treats

19 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life March 8, 2011 at 11:08 am

I’m a huge, huge fan of Physique 57!! Glad you tried it.
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..To Be Known

20 Jill E. March 8, 2011 at 11:11 am

i have greek waiting on my dvr and i am so sad to see it go. not only has this season been top notch it really never got the praise and views it deserves. maybe its dvd/netflix life such as other greats as freaks and geeks and undeclared.
Jill E. recently posted..veni- vidi- aliquot

21 Meghann March 8, 2011 at 5:39 pm

It really was an incredible show! Speaking of Freaks & Geeks and Undeclared – I was one of those losers that didn’t discover those great shows until I found them via Netflix. Awesome shows that definitely did not get the credit they deserved at the time! πŸ™‚

22 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 8, 2011 at 11:13 am

I really want to try Physique 57 — I’ve heard it is a great workout!
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..Back to Normal Life

23 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston March 8, 2011 at 11:15 am

I’ve watched all of Greek that is currently on Netflix — just watching for the next chapter!! Can’t wait to see how it ends.
Katie @ Healthy Heddleston recently posted..Mill Creek Distance Classic Review

24 Cara March 8, 2011 at 11:16 am

Ha! I work out to DVDs with Joe in the room (we have a teeny apartment). At first, it was super awkward (especially with Insanity!), but I’m totally used to it now! At a certain point, I had to get over being a goofy jumping geek in front of him…because I realized he already knows that about me! πŸ™‚

25 J March 8, 2011 at 11:27 am

I am sooooo sad that Greek has ended. I loved that show like whoa and feel the same way as you- leaving college was so tough and emotional!

And your pretzel fail cracked me up- that is totally something I would do πŸ™‚
J recently posted..Why this blog is called Sober Single

26 Evan Thomas March 8, 2011 at 11:37 am

I own the first season of Greek, but after that I just stopped watching. Maybe this will motivate me to get back into it.

27 Matt March 8, 2011 at 11:39 am

I’ve never actually done a workout DVD!
Matt recently posted..BBQ Salmon Burgers with Caramelized Onions

28 Meghann March 8, 2011 at 5:40 pm

You need to do one. But do a good one, if there’s a cheesy female on the case ith a towel around her neck – just say no. πŸ™‚

29 melissa (fitnessnyc) March 8, 2011 at 11:39 am

Ahhh! So excited that you got them and tried them! Thanks for the shout out! I am going to o-town in 19 days! yes, i am counting!
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Nut Your Average Friday!

30 Meghann March 8, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Yay!!!! The weather has been awesome lately- you are going to love it! πŸ™‚

31 Shannon March 8, 2011 at 11:51 am

haha, I can totally relate to feeling awkward when doing a workout DVD. I get so embarassed when my husband is in earshot of the TV. I always turn it way down so he can’t hear it, or just pause it for a few seconds until he walks past!

32 Meghann March 8, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Totally get that. Derek was making fun of all the cheesy lines the instructor was throwing out there this morning.

33 Sara March 8, 2011 at 11:55 am

love Greek! I am sooo sad to see the show go. How did you feel about Rusty and Ashley getting together?

34 Meghann March 8, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I probably would have thought it was weird when they first started the show to see those two together, but as the show progressed I could totally see it working. I was glad when they kissed in the end and in my heart Evan and Rebecca end up together too. πŸ™‚

35 Amanda March 8, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I love Greek and have a major crush on Cappy!! The entire series is available on HULU as well.
Amanda recently posted..A mindless post

36 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 8, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I hate doing workout videos when the husband is home. It’s so weird.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..preemptive intuitive eating

37 kimmy March 8, 2011 at 1:09 pm

All season of Greek are on instant on Netflix, even the newest season!

38 Meghann March 8, 2011 at 5:43 pm

It’s all on instant? I may have to go back and rewatch the whole series over again then. Such a great show!

39 Kacy March 8, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I haven’t watched Greek since I was in college, but meant to catch the finale and forgot. Oops.
Thanks for the review on Physique 57 – sounds great!
Kacy recently posted..&amp@!

40 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm

My favorite is Drop Dead Diva…it is THE best series on TV. Season 1 and 2 are on DVDs as well…I highly recommend them πŸ™‚ Your b-fast looks great, ps. Thanks for the heads up on Physique 57!!

41 sweeter salt March 8, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Working out with the boy present can be awkward. My fiancee likes to sit and watch me while eating chips and laughing. Nice, real nice. You get used to it though!

Laura
sweeter salt recently posted..Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings

42 Meghann March 8, 2011 at 5:44 pm

haha – not that is just crude πŸ™‚

43 Ellie @ The Mommyist March 8, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I wish I could get in to workout Dvds they sure are convenient but I lose interest so quickly!
Ellie @ The Mommyist recently posted..Sewing

44 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 8, 2011 at 1:25 pm

That pretzel sounds ridiculous!! I’m craving one right now. And the workout – I’ve never tried it but it does sound kind of familiar. What a fun surprise!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..What I learned at Schwinn training

45 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life March 8, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I hate working out to a dvd infront of my fiance… It’s so awkward. He walked in on me doing yoga the other day and kept mocking their commentary. Not the best motivation. lol
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Make Juice Not War

46 Meghann March 8, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Derek does the same thing – I tune him out πŸ™‚

47 Amy March 8, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I’m going to miss Greek…such a cute show!

Your pretzel with peanut butter sounds AMAZING!
Amy recently posted..Inspired and Encouraged

48 Jamie @ getalivingsense March 8, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Oh man, i LOVE Greek! I have missed the past 2 or 3 episodes though! I’ll have to catch up on them today. I didn’t realize the series finale happened already. BOOO
Jamie @ getalivingsense recently posted..Whole Foods

49 Lisa @ bakebikeblog March 8, 2011 at 1:49 pm

What an interesting workout DVD – I have never heard of that program before!
Lisa @ bakebikeblog recently posted..Rainbow vegetables with tahini sauce

50 Fit Chick in the City March 8, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I’m so impressed that the video was able to keep you focused for the full workout. That really says something about the video! I only say that, because I too struggle to complete workout videos that are any longer than 30 minutes.
Fit Chick in the City recently posted..Promises- Promises

51 Physique 57 March 9, 2011 at 11:32 am

Hi Jess! We sent you an email πŸ™‚
Physique 57 recently posted..NEW! March Class Schedule at Spring Street

52 Lauren March 8, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I felt the exact same way about the finale of Greek! It felt like I was leaving college all over again (3 years ago…eesh!) and I’m really going to miss my weekly dose of Cappie πŸ™‚ Also … I do Jillian’s 30 Day Shred DVD crammed into my bedroom so my roommate doesn’t have to see it.

53 Amy March 8, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I didn’t know that you could do the Physique 57 workout in a DVD! That is pretty cool! Although I totally agree with you about the push and energy in a class!
Amy recently posted..Wah Wah Wah…

54 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 8, 2011 at 3:38 pm

my first two years of college are almost over and it’s making me panic!
how much is that set of DVDs?
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..6K Coastal Challenge!

55 Meghann March 8, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I have no idea, but apparently the whole series is up on Netflix Instant Play right now!

56 postcollegecook March 9, 2011 at 11:13 am

All of the episodes are on abcfamily.com too: http://abcfamily.go.com/shows/greek/videos
postcollegecook recently posted..Traffic reports from the bike path

57 Samantha March 8, 2011 at 6:50 pm

When I saw Rusty start crying I broke down and started BAWLING. I was so upset last night haha. My boyfriend was so confused when he got home from work!

58 Caitlin (EatFeats) March 8, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Oh my goodness, I bawled like a baby during Greek.
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..Ash Wednesday Countdown- My Jam Confession

59 Laura March 8, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Ha ha ha! I felt the same way the first time my boyfriend walked in on me doing a step aerobics DVD. I was so embarrased, you’d think I was caught doing something really embarrassing. But now we have an extra bedroom so I can do it in there and close the door. Everyonce in awhile he sticks his head it-I think he’s trying to catch me napping during my workout or something!!
Good luck with all your domestic projects!

60 Lizzy March 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm

omg i was so sad about greek too! i def cried a little bit. i’ve been watching the show from the beginning! ahh! can’t believe its over

61 postcollegecook March 9, 2011 at 11:12 am

I am so sad that Greek ended! I still have to watch the last few episodes on my DVR, so at least I have those few left. Such a great show!

62 Jena March 9, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Ha Ha, working out infront of Derek is only the beginning of the awkwardness that comes with living together.

I’ve been married for 2 years, and together 6 and I still hate working out in front of my husband. It’s weird, and probably one of the reasons why I hate work out DVDs so much. I try to deal with it, then my husband will come in and “critique” my moves and make me all self-conscious all over again. boo
Jena recently posted..4636 times