A Classic Meal

by Meghann on March 8, 2011

Change of plans.

Screen shot 2011-03-08 at 9.02.36 PM.png

In honor of Starbucks’ Tribute Days (aka free petite treats days) I’ve opted to hold off on my free drink until Thursday. Best bang for my buck if you ask me! πŸ˜‰

Thanks to the various commenters who informed me of the freebie opportunity – you guys rock!

A sneak peek of the petite treats to choose from

Let’s see – whoopie pie, mini cupcake, or cake pop? What to choose…. what to choose… ;)

Despite my lack of free drink, I was still able to get some work done at Starbucks (I sat outside and soaked up the rays of sunshine). When I started feeling munchy I headed to a health store that caught my attention door.

Luckily they had my favorite energy cookies right up front on display.

Love those chewy, seedy cookies. πŸ™‚

Derek and I had an eventful evening of paint sampling (the color samples we chose are currently drying on the wall and I can’t stop staring!) and junk removal. Oh, the pleasures of being an adult.

For dinner I whipped up a quick, but classic dinner that satisfied both of our appetites.

The fish fillets came pre-seasoned from Publix. I simply removed them from the packaging and cooked them under the broiler for a few minutes on each side. They were good, but the seasoning was a tad strong. It was very salty fish.

The sweet potatoes were steamed then mashed with a little butter and milk.

And the zucchini and yellow squash were cooked on the stove top with salt, pepper, and olive oil spray.

A complete and balance meal. πŸ™‚

For dessert I had REAL ice cream to make up for the pitiful excuse I tried last night. This was of the Breyer’s Mint Chocolate Chip variety and was so creamy, smooth, and delicious I don’t think I could ever deter from it again.

Now, I wonder what the chances are of me stealing the remote away from Derek for a little Glee action tonight. πŸ˜‰

Good Night!

1 Jessica March 8, 2011 at 9:31 pm

you know tomorrow is only march 9 though right? πŸ™‚

2 Meghann March 8, 2011 at 9:35 pm

haha – that’s what I get for just reading comments and not the info on Starbucks site! Just fixed it to reflect a Thursday free treat. Thanks for pointing it out for me! πŸ™‚

3 Jessica March 8, 2011 at 9:36 pm

haha no prob! didn’t want you to go there excited for a free treat and not get one!

4 Ali @ Ali Runs March 8, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I love Starbucks!! Studying there is almost as fun as people watching is. πŸ˜‰ Hopefully you got to watch Glee, it was a good one!!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Ali’s ABCs

5 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life March 8, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Definitely agree! People watching is one of my favorite parts of chilling at a Starbucks πŸ™‚
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..Dinner On A Whim

6 Nina @ Nina's Nibbles March 8, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I’m on my way to watch Glee now – Hope you get to catch it! Thank goodness for DVR!
Nina @ Nina’s Nibbles recently posted..Reminiscing–College Years

7 Runner Couple - Sara March 8, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I just watched the season finale of Greek that I had recorded! Oh my gosh I cried for the entire second half of the show! I am so sad to see it go!!
Runner Couple – Sara recently posted..6 Wonderful Years

8 Stephanie @ LiveCookLove March 8, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Dinner looked delish! Reminds me that I need to add fish to my ever growing list of groceries πŸ™‚
Stephanie @ LiveCookLove recently posted..Under Construction

9 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 8, 2011 at 9:51 pm

oooh your dinner looks fab. So what DID you decide for the petite goodie?

10 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 8, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Your meal looks delicious! Too bad about the salty fish though.

Starbucks will have cake pops? I hardly ever go there but for a cake pop? Sure!
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..Back to Normal Life

11 Becki March 8, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Trust me-go with the Whoopie Pie….it is A-MAY-ZIG!!!

12 Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free March 8, 2011 at 9:58 pm

If starbucks had anything gluten free I’d be all over that!
Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free recently posted..Girl Talk and Surprise Soup

13 River March 8, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Aww I don’t think Starbucks are doing that in New Zealand? Considering only one of them is open in Christchurch at the moment anyway! And our Starbucks certainly don’t have food like that!
River recently posted..Back to reality – Work out Times

14 Dori March 8, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Um, so your elaborate meal with the mashed sweet potato and the zucchini ? = YOU ARE A WIFEY!
Dori recently posted..DSB Favorite Things &amp Photo Caption Contest

15 Rachel March 8, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Glad to know about these free Starbucks treats. I live about .25 miles from Starbucks so I must take advantage of it!

How is compromising on tv shows working out? In 5 years of marriage we still haven’t mastered it. We have shows we watch together, then I have my shows, and he has his shows. Thank goodness for DVR!!

16 Maryann (The Balanced Bean) March 8, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I’m definitely hitting up good old starbs on Thursday…they take all my $$ so its time I get something back, haha πŸ™‚
Maryann (The Balanced Bean) recently posted..Google Thinks Im Weird

17 Shanna, like Banana March 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I saw that promo on FitSugar and am so stoked to try a petite treat…I’m thinking cupcake πŸ™‚

18 Maissa March 8, 2011 at 10:16 pm

OMG Starbucks sells cake-pops???? Too bad the USA gets all the good food and we in Canada are like three years behind…

I sense a road trip to Seattle.

Good luck with that remote!

19 Hilary March 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I got that email from Starbucks…those petite treats look GOOD!
Hilary recently posted..Treadmill Ten

20 Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy March 8, 2011 at 10:32 pm

i would definately go for the cupcake!!

Is it weird I can only eat mint chocolate chip ice cream only if it’s green?
Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy recently posted..3 ingredient oatmeal pancake

21 Ashley March 8, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Those petite treats look good, but I saw your/Kath tweets, those cake pops not so good. I’m excited to find out what paint you choose! An energy cookie sounds so good right now. I definitely need it.

22 Alaina March 8, 2011 at 10:41 pm

What a great little snack to get! I’ll have to take them up on that offer. πŸ™‚ I would totally get the cupcake.
Alaina recently posted..I Heart March

23 Alexa @ SimpleEats March 8, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Love that idea regarding Starbucks…I only wish the word “mini” wasn’t in front of everything. πŸ™‚
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..The Kitchen Sink

24 Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks March 8, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I am looking forward to petite cake pops too! πŸ˜€
Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks recently posted..Sticking to the Schedule

25 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 9, 2011 at 12:09 am

Mint chocolate chip ice cream has got to be one of my all-time favorite flavors! πŸ™‚

26 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 9, 2011 at 12:33 am

Yum, I love mint chocolate chip!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Food Rut- Be Gone!

27 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy March 9, 2011 at 1:17 am

I got an email about the free petite treat too! Hope they ‘honor’ it at the airport!
I’m so excited for Gwenyth Paltrow on Glee tonight. She’s amazing πŸ™‚
Casey @ Insatiably Healthy recently posted..Caseydillas

28 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 9, 2011 at 1:22 am

YUM! I always forget how easy it is to make mashed potatoes…..I work myself up about it. looks great!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..6K Coastal Challenge!

29 VeggieGirl March 9, 2011 at 6:07 am

YAY for real ice cream πŸ˜€
VeggieGirl recently posted..The Moment of Truth

30 Katherine: Unemployed March 9, 2011 at 6:29 am

um… i JUST posted about this! SO excited we share this haha hope to see how you use your tribute
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Michael Gates Gill

31 Lauren March 9, 2011 at 6:49 am

I bought some prepackaged fish the other day and it wasn’t that great either. I guess sometimes taking the easy way out just isn’t worth it.

FYI, this is so random but one of my coworkers and I were talking yesterday and she asked me if I read blogs and then started to tell me about your blog. She had no idea I had my own blog and I told her that I’ve known you for a few years! You’re totally famous now in my small little town. πŸ˜‰
Lauren recently posted..Operation Move- Day 1

32 Kara March 9, 2011 at 7:11 am

Real ice cream has no substitutes!

Also, your starbucks is so much better than ours. We do NOT have cake pops, I know because I would have gotten one for sure!
Kara recently posted..Marathon goals

33 Brittney March 9, 2011 at 8:03 am

Thanks for posting about the Starbucks treats! WANT πŸ™‚
Brittney recently posted..Lunches For Dinner

34 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa March 9, 2011 at 8:04 am

Those cookies look amazing! What’s included in the ingredient list?
Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa recently posted..dinner with the dukes – irish style

35 Hope March 9, 2011 at 8:26 am

I saw that Starbucks is running that promo and I’m so excited! I never knew they had those cute little treats. The hardest part is going to be figuring out which one to try! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Rainy Sunday- Dentist &amp PF Changs…

36 Faith @ lovelyascharged March 9, 2011 at 8:29 am

Simple…you just go all three days to different Starbucks and try three of them πŸ˜‰
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..How to Make Your Own Healthy Cereal

37 Faith @ lovelyascharged March 9, 2011 at 8:29 am

I had no intention of participating in this until I saw that mini cupcake…all of the sudden my plans have changed!

38 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me March 9, 2011 at 8:56 am

I just got some Breyer’s dark chocolate ice cream. DIVINE! It is so crazy good. I’m not a big ice cream fan typically but I just can’t get enough of the chocolate.
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Much Mad Men and the ABC’s

39 Katy March 9, 2011 at 9:32 am

I’d love to see Derek do a guest post on how his eating habits are changing with you guys living together full-time…

40 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life March 9, 2011 at 9:34 am

Thursday is my birthday, I think a cupcake would be in order for me. πŸ™‚

Too bad I don’t live near a starbucks… And the drive alone wouldn’t be worth the free treat. πŸ™
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Mardi Gras!

41 Katie G. March 9, 2011 at 10:45 am

Breyers (white) Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream is my favorite ice cream of all time! Cue sugar (and diary) craving!!! Yummm!!!

Nice balanced dinner, looks good!
Katie G. recently posted..Rainy Day Sunday

42 Kacy March 9, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Watching paint dry huh? Is Derek that boring? Kidding! Hope you find a great color. Dinner looks delicious!

43 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods March 9, 2011 at 5:05 pm

You have cakepops at your Starbux? I am seriously jealous! All mine ever has is 2 forgotten pieces of stale pumpkin bread. icks.
Jen @ keepitsimplefoods recently posted..Vegan Coconut Chili