Pretzel Bun Fail

by Meghann on March 7, 2011

I had this GREAT plan for dinner.

Homemade Pretzel Sausage Buns, Chicken Italian Sausages, Dogfish Head Midas Touch… it was going to be epic. πŸ™‚

Everything started great.

I prepped the pretzel dough.

Let it rise.

Cut it in quarters.

Formed two hot dog buns and two pretzels

And baked them.

Did you catch that?

I made the dough, made the shapes, and baked it.

There was just one crucial step missing – boil it! I forgot to boil the pretzels! Opps…

I knew they looked funny coming out of the oven, but I didn’t realize I missed a step until we sat down to eat. Obviously everything was still edible, it just didn’t have that pretzel feel I was going for. Oh well.

The ‘bun’ was still warm when I cut into it to make room for the italian chicken sausage.

it was a little doughy, but perfect for the job it intended to do. It didn’t taste like a pretzel, per se, but it did taste like a hot dog bun! πŸ™‚

On the side I made rutabaga fries (rutabaga cut in fry shape then baked at 420 for 20 minutes) with ketchup

And two mini pickles.

Can’t forget the Midas Touch!

IMG_8864.jpg

Derek has a recent obsession with DogFish Beer, so I picked up a 4-pk of Midas Touch at Whole Foods today as a ‘Thank You’ gift for letting me toss half his stuff out. Love you babe!

I fueled up this afternoon with an apple and Naturally Nutty Chocolate Toffee Peanut Butter.

This pint of Arctic Zero Ice Cream caught my attention at Whole Foods today.

Fat Free. Lactose Intolerant Friendly. Gluten Friendly. Only 150 Calories for the entire pint?

Yeah, I didn’t have high hopes for the taste either.

This was one of those novelty things where I wasn’t expecting it to actually taste good, but had to give it a try anyways.

My gut instinct was right – this was awful. It was icy, flavorless, and nothing like real ice cream. Yuck!

Luckily the Tag Along I pared with the bowl almost redeemed it.

The only good bites involved cookie, the rest would have been better off going in the trash.

But, now I know. And next time I see that 150 calorie for the entire pint ice cream in the grocer’s freezer, i’ll know to look the other way. πŸ™‚

1 Amanda March 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I love apples and pb! πŸ™‚ Such a good combo!
Amanda recently posted..Oats and Coffee

2 Julie @ Wearing Mascara March 7, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Glad you’re getting settled! Sorry about the bad ice cream πŸ™ Girl scout cookies ALWAYS redeem anything they are paired with though! πŸ™‚
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..Bikram 60-Day Challenge Results

3 michelle March 7, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Yeah 150 calories for that much ice cream just doesn’t even sound right. I’m curious to taste it though just to see for myself.
michelle recently posted..Old Married Couple

4 Karolina March 7, 2011 at 10:15 pm

hmmm…it LOOKS good, even if it doesn’t taste very good…
I’ve never thought of making my own pretzels before either.
Karolina recently posted..10 Ideas to Refill Yourself I cant give what I dont have pt 2

5 Jess@atasteofconfidence March 7, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Still looks yummy!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..ABCs of me

6 Amanda March 7, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I LOVE Midas Touch! We live a few miles from a Dogfish and I always order it when I go. I didn’t even know you could buy it in bottles…great to know!

7 Kaitlin March 7, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Ooh delicious! How did Derek like the beer?

I need to try pretzels soon!
Kaitlin recently posted..Make-Ahead Meal 1- Indian Sweet Potato Hash

8 Su March 7, 2011 at 10:22 pm

What was de ingredient list of the ice cream?

9 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I’ve heard of that Arctic stuff and I’m not surprised it didn’t taste good — come on, 150 cals for the whole thing?

I mess up recipes all the time — I’m sure if I ever dare to make pretzels I’ll forget to boil them too!
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..Back to Normal Life

10 Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks March 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I have been wanting to try that Artic Zero stuff. Bummed out to hear it is awful, though I kind of thought it would be. Despite hearing you confirming my own suspicions that is awful, I have a feeling I will still give it a go.

Some lessons must be learned the hard way! πŸ˜‰

Also, despite them not being pretzel-y like you wanted, those buns look pretty delicious!
Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks recently posted..Out of Control

11 Kelly L. March 7, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I LOVE the artic zero!! I’ve tried the chocolate, peanut butter, vanilla, and cookies and cream. The chocolate peanut butter and vanilla are the best. True, it doesn’t tase exactly like real ice cream but if you like to eat the whole pint you cant beat this calorie bargain. πŸ™‚

12 Lauren @chigallauren March 7, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I’ve never cooked with rutabaga before, what does it taste like? Good work on the buns by the way, they look like I could eat several in one sitting.
Lauren @chigallauren recently posted..The Final Hours

13 Fit Chick Britt March 7, 2011 at 10:54 pm

It still looks good regardless and all your Peanut Butter Patties are making me crave them. Tell Derek to hurry up and eat them!!
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..Scrambled Egg Muffins

14 Nat March 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm

He let you throw half his stuff out? Man, lucky you.

I just tried that Arctice Ice a month ago hoping for the best and ended up tossing it. 5 bucks poorly spent.
Nat recently posted..Keepin’ It Classy

15 Ashley March 7, 2011 at 11:01 pm

At least is was edible! I didn’t even notice you skipped a step until you pointed it out. Ice Cream like that is usually too good to be true. Sorry it wasn’t that great! Have a good night. πŸ™‚

16 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. March 7, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Have you eaten your GS cookies frozen? They’re even more amazing that way – especially the Thin Mints!
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..the headache that won’t go away

17 Christine March 7, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I was getting so excited when I saw that it had only 150 calories- I was already trying to remember if we had it the store I shopped at. And then I saw it sucked- boo!
Christine recently posted..Kiss My Apostrophe

18 Nat March 7, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Majorly.
Nat recently posted..Keepin’ It Classy

19 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 7, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I actually love that ice cream! Not a huge fan of that flavor- cookies and cream and coffee are way better πŸ™‚

20 steph March 7, 2011 at 11:15 pm

the chocolate peanut butter flavor is sub par. the chocolate and chocolate mint flavors are pretty good, in my opinion. then again, im lactose intolerant so I dont set the bar as high.

21 Carolyn @ lovinlosing March 7, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Oh, we’ve all had those kitchen fails before. No biggie! If you wanna redeem yourself I suggest you make Derek some of these awesome yogurt biscuits for breakfast: http://www.lovinlosing.com/?p=5057. πŸ™‚ I finally feel like an adult now that I can make biscuits. And they’re only around 150 calories!!!
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..Breakfast for Dinner

22 Runeatrepeat March 7, 2011 at 11:17 pm

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Boo. I wanted this to be true.
Runeatrepeat recently posted..Charlie Sheen of Iced Coffee

23 Jessica@tastyandtrim March 7, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I was wondering it that Arctic Zero Fro-yo was any good. I’m glad you reviewed about it because I don’t want to waste money on something that doesn’t taste like real ice cream! Stoneyfield farms has some really good non-fat ice cream pints that are only 400 calories for the whole pint. Not as low as 150, but it tastes like real ice cream πŸ™‚
Jessica@tastyandtrim recently posted..I Scream- You Scream- We All Scream…

24 Maryann (The Balanced Bean) March 8, 2011 at 12:01 am

Ive tried that arctic freeze too and was so disappointed! I guess the saying “anything that seems too good to be true probably is” would be accurate.
Maryann (The Balanced Bean) recently posted..Google Thinks Im Weird

25 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 8, 2011 at 12:07 am

yikes –sorry about the fail! But glad it still tasted good πŸ™‚

26 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 8, 2011 at 1:23 am

don’t worry it’s the thought that counts. and just think that next time it’ll come out perfectly!
Emma (Namaste Everyday) recently posted..6K Coastal Challenge!

27 katie March 8, 2011 at 6:29 am

Love the mini pickles!!!! Hey you tried, now next time you know to boil them, so they will come out right!

I saw that ice cream before, I heard it wasnt great, but I was willing to buy it too if I saw it again, just to see for myself ; )
katie recently posted..Yell- ow Love

28 Lauren March 8, 2011 at 6:39 am

You are already 100 steps ahead of me with trying to even attempt your own pretzel bread. I would think this process would be so much more difficult. I’m impressed at your efforts!! πŸ™‚
Yeah, I was lured into that ice cream too. Yuck! Lesson learned.
Lauren recently posted..Operation Move- Day 1

29 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 8, 2011 at 6:58 am

Pretzel buns are my fav!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Week In Review 2-28-11-3-6-11

30 Kara March 8, 2011 at 7:13 am

I have kitchen fails like that all the time, I swear having a baby is like brain damage or something.

If I saw 150 calories for the whole p;int, I would assume it was just a pint full of mashed fat free fudgisicles and avoid it like the plague.
Kara recently posted..Carb loading- 9 month old style

31 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 8, 2011 at 7:30 am

I absolutely love pretzel rolls! They are my favorite, but you’re right – boiling them in saltwater is the most crucial step! πŸ™‚
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..preemptive intuitive eating

32 Alaina March 8, 2011 at 7:31 am

Those buns look scrumptious! πŸ™‚

Yeah, 150 calories per pint wouldn’t get my hopes up either. Full fat ice cream is the only way to go!
Alaina recently posted..I Heart March

33 Roselyn March 8, 2011 at 7:32 am

Girllll….you know better than to mess with real ice cream! πŸ˜‰
Roselyn recently posted..Five &amp Five

34 Ali @ Ali Runs March 8, 2011 at 8:01 am

My parent’s LOVE Dogfish beer! They always bring back a ton after they visit down south. I have a feeling I would never have been able to follow all of the steps for pretzel bread, so good job for your first try!! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Ali’s ABCs

35 Faith @ lovelyascharged March 8, 2011 at 8:12 am

Oops! Nothing like “skipping” steps! At least you knew better though…the first time I tried to make marinara, I didn’t realize you had to cook the tomatoes…so I threw raw tomatoes, garlic and spices into a blender and blended, then microwaved it till it was warm…yeah, no wonder it was nasty!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Where Are You Going- Where Have You Been

36 Hope March 8, 2011 at 8:14 am

Your dinner looks good to me! Sorry to hear about forgetting to boil the pretzel bread. I think it still looks yummy! I definitely want to try making it.

I tried Arctic Zero a couple of months ago and like you, I thought it was beyond horrible! It didn’t even taste like ice cream. I can’t even put into words how awful it was. Glad that the tagalong made up for it though πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Rainy Sunday- Dentist &amp PF Changs…

37 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life March 8, 2011 at 8:18 am

It soudns like such a good recipe!
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..To Be Known

38 Mimi March 8, 2011 at 8:22 am

Whoops! Sorry about your pretzel flop β€” At least you realized what went wrong! I had a pretzel flop one time by putting cinnamon sugar on the pretzels BEFORE baking. Bad idea!
Mimi recently posted..Charmed

39 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe March 8, 2011 at 8:43 am

It’s funny, one of the first meals I ever made for my husband was pretty similar to yours. I made sausage dogs boiled in beer on pretzel rolls. It got ugly though when I tried to make a beer and cheese soup to go with it. The cheese I bought just wouldn’t melt, it ended up a chunky and grainy mess. Gross!
Alayna @ Thyme Bombe recently posted..Double vet visit

40 brandi March 8, 2011 at 9:26 am

well, the rolls still look good!

SO happy I’m not the only that didn’t like that ice cream! It had the strangest gummy texture – blech. I took 2 bites and threw the container away.

41 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me March 8, 2011 at 9:42 am

I just got some dark chocolate velvet ice cream. It is to DIE for. The funny thing is when I was growing up I hated chocolate ice cream. Tastes change so much!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Much Mad Men and the ABC’s

42 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep March 8, 2011 at 9:43 am

Being from Delaware, I LOVE to hear when people love Dogfish! I go by the restaurant almost daily and forget how famous the brewery has gotten.
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Wee Bit of Me on Friday

43 CMae March 8, 2011 at 10:12 am

Love that you got him beer as a thank you for letting you get rid of his stuff! Sounds like me during the post-marriage merge!
CMae recently posted..Jupiter Presents- A Ghosts Murder Scene

44 Kacy March 8, 2011 at 10:47 am

Your bun is still really impressive to me! I’ve never baked bread before, it sounds too hard πŸ™‚

45 Marta March 8, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I liked Arctic Zero for what it is… I actually liked the vanilla maple with some nuts on top a lot. It was “watered down” tasting but considering the fact that it’s like 30 cals for 1/2 cup, i thought it was pretty good. I’ve heard great things about the Chocolate PB from Weight Watchers friends, but I haven’t been able to try it… It’s always sold out at my Whole Foods!

BTW have you tried the girl scout cookie Edy’s? We have the Samoa kind in our freezer and it’s taking SERIOUS restraint not to eat the whole thing. I barely let myself go into the freezer. It’s slow churned so has 1/3 fat/cals. They also have thin mint… I’m on the hunt for it!!!

PS Congrats on the move!

46 Katie G. March 8, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I love Dogfish Head beer! It’s a local favorite of mine! Happy to see Derek enjoys it all the way down in FL! The pretzels still look yummy! I’ve never tried to bake bread, or make my own pretzels for that matter! Great attempt!
Katie G. recently posted..Rainy Day Sunday

47 Asya March 9, 2011 at 12:26 am

That horrible Sub Zero 150 whatever ice cream got me too. It’s awful! I took a few bites and tossed it – couldn’t stand the stuff. I tried the strawberry banana flavor. What a waste of money!

48 Amanda March 9, 2011 at 2:11 am

When it sounds too good to be true it usually is. But I would have given it a shot anyways! I love coconut milk ice cream though…… still: nothing quite beats real ice cream.

49 Jessa March 9, 2011 at 11:49 am

I see the problem!!!! You got a melted pint. Arctic zero isn’t suppose to be icy at all. Think ice cream that melts and is refrozen -typically tastes terrible. I eat a pint of day of arctic zero and I know from experience that it is smooth, creamy and yummy to say the leastl. What I see here looks like a frozen icy mess, take it back and get a refund and try a different flavor. It’s amazing the difference.

50 Audrey March 11, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I actually love Arctic Zero! I eat it everyday as my nightime dessert-not the entire pint, that takes two days ;). But hey to each their own. I can’t stand bgel thins or sandwich thins.