Crunch Time

by Meghann on March 4, 2011

It’s crunch time.

No more diddle daddling.

No more procrastinating.

No more saving it for the last minute excuses.

This IS the last minute people! I’ve got an apartment to move in less than 24 hours. Everything needs to be packed or it’s all getting left behind.

I have errands to run, more boxes to pack, and I really, really need to fit a shower in at one point today. I smell. It’s bad.

But, I did find time to squeeze in my final bowl of oatmeal in this apartment.

It worked out pretty perfectly. This bowl has the last 1/2 cup of rolled oats from my pantry and the last four strawberries from my fridge. There’s still more cereal, but I combined the Cinnamon Cheerios with the Rice Krispie Puffs in one of my fancy plastic cereal containers, so at least I did eliminate a box there.

This is also my final meal using my kitchen. That’s one of my major project this morning – packing the kitchen! I’m going to try Kath’s approach of eliminating as much kitchen stuff as necessary because the new kitchen has about 3/4 of the cabinet space as this one (and MY cupboards are overflowing), but it’s really, really hard to convince myself I don’t need 3 sets of measuring cups or 4 cupcake pans. :/

Who wants to come over and give me a packing intervention?

I know I won’t miss it once it’s gone (or I think I won’t miss it once it’s gone), but all of my kitchen stuff is so personal to me and comes with a story. PLUS, what if I get in a baking frenzy and need to make 12 dozen cupcakes? Those 4 pans would come in handy! Right?…. maybe?.…;)

1 Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 4, 2011 at 7:58 am

Happy moving!! πŸ™‚
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..The Other Protein

2 Lizzy March 4, 2011 at 7:59 am

Good Luck and have a great move πŸ™‚

3 Kara March 4, 2011 at 8:00 am

This is why I hate moving! I can’t make decisions like that πŸ™‚ Luckily for me, we moved from an apartment to a large house, so I just brought everything!
Kara recently posted..Confession Friday

4 Kristy @ KristyRuns March 4, 2011 at 8:02 am

I say if you haven’t used it in a month, trash or donate it. If you really need whatever pan or spatula, maybe a new, friendly neighbor will let you borrow one! πŸ™‚ GOOD LUCK!!
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Gasparilla Half Marathon

5 Stephanie March 4, 2011 at 9:31 am

This. Or, you could box the extra stuff up and bring it to your parents. If you don’t touch it in 2 months, donate it. =)

6 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 4, 2011 at 8:07 am

Good luck with the move Meghann! I’m in the process of purging some of my belongings as well (spring cleaning!!) and even though sometimes it’s hard, I know I’ll feel better when I’ve de-cluttered. Hope it all goes well!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Good food- good mood

7 Lindsay March 4, 2011 at 8:08 am

Good luck packing! Throwing items away is sooo hard for me- maybe you can leave a box for your neighbors of items to take that you don’t want, or bring it to a donation center, so you feel like it’s not going to waste? Packing is so much harder than it should be!

8 Michelle March 4, 2011 at 8:17 am

If you havent used it in 6months, get rid of it! That’s my rule and it works well πŸ™‚
Michelle recently posted..Furniture and Oscars

9 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin March 4, 2011 at 8:21 am

Ahh good luck finishing packing!!! I’m impressed with how well you’ve done getting rid of everything in your fridge… and to still have fresh strawberries on the last day? Not bad!
Beth @ Beth’s Journey to Thin recently posted..Double Digits and Trader Joe’s Loot

10 Glamorous Newlywed March 4, 2011 at 8:21 am

So exciting! I love this stage of moving – because you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and won’t have to live in a sea of boxes anymore πŸ™‚ You’re almost there!

11 Hope March 4, 2011 at 8:21 am

Good luck with the rest of your packing! Before you know it you will be all moved in! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Happy National Pancake Day!…

12 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 4, 2011 at 8:25 am

Good luck with the move! Moving can be very stressful and simultaneously very exciting! I hope it goes well for you πŸ˜€

13 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life March 4, 2011 at 8:26 am

Such a big deal to be moving! I admire you for being brave and making the change. Happy packing!
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..Love Being Singleor Coupled

14 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life March 4, 2011 at 8:31 am

I once moved out of an apartment (i.e. packed and moved) in 2 hours, I had to move because I lived with an ex and things were getting bad so I packed up and left while he was out of the house… Granted I only lived there for less than a year and I did have a few big strong guys helping me… But having a time limit really helped me make some big decisions on what to leave and what to take. Normally I’m terrible at it (I never throw things away!) so maybe you should give yourself 1/2 hour to go through your kitchen things and ask yourself if you really need them or not… If you had 1 hour to get out of your apartment RIGHT NOW what would you take?
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Whew!

15 Dori March 4, 2011 at 8:38 am

Toss it all. You won’t notice. Good luck!
Dori recently posted..Mat 57 at Physique 57

16 jen @ taste life March 4, 2011 at 9:03 am

I think you should send me your cupcake pans πŸ™‚

Good luck!
jen @ taste life recently posted..Kitty Danger Zone

17 Mimi March 4, 2011 at 9:03 am

I have a problem with letting things go, too. But think that someone else might just really love to have your fourth muffin tin…
Mimi recently posted..Survival mechanism

18 Kath Younger March 4, 2011 at 9:05 am

If you weren’t so busy, I’d ask you to mail me one of your cupcake pans because we actually don’t have ONE!
Kath Younger recently posted..Think Spring

19 Tiffany March 4, 2011 at 9:05 am

Take it. You’ll be super annoyed if you have to buy it again and worst case scenario, you can store it. And you can fit a LOT in a small kitchen with some clever cabinet management.

20 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me March 4, 2011 at 9:05 am

Good luck! You’ll be moved before you know it! And living with someone you love is soooo awesome. I can’t wait to read how you guys handle things like chores etc
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..To Meat or Not Meat

21 Katy (The Singing Runner) March 4, 2011 at 9:07 am

Haha! Good luck! I know if was difficult when I moved apartments in the summer. I had a lot of stuff I didn’t need anymore!

22 Megan March 4, 2011 at 9:20 am

Being the busy woman you are, especially amid all the moving, I think the meal concept I posted about today might come in handy for you!

Happy Friday!
Megan recently posted..Wordless

23 OrlandoPaula @ Eat, Watch, Run March 4, 2011 at 9:51 am

Good luck with the kitchen packing. Just remember you can always get new stuff that will make new stories. Don’t don’t worry about keeping that old stuff.

You should take a pic of yourself with all the things with memories you’re getting rid of. That should be a final send off for all your kitchen things you love but can’t keep. πŸ™‚
OrlandoPaula @ Eat, Watch, Run recently posted..Three Things Thursday

24 Beth @ DiningAndDishing March 4, 2011 at 10:08 am

Best of luck with the move Meghann! Exciting weekend. Hope things go smoothly – moving is such a stress!
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..Bright and Early

25 Ashley March 4, 2011 at 10:33 am

I took a peak at Kath’s post. Who knew kitchen moving could be such a science? Good luck with it all, I’m sure you’ll do great!

26 Alaina March 4, 2011 at 11:13 am

I’m the same way with all of my stuff. The apartment I’m in now is much smaller than my old place so I’m sure I’ll either give away stuff or store it at my parents. πŸ˜‰
Alaina recently posted..I Heart March

27 Kacy March 4, 2011 at 11:16 am

Good luck with everything! I have a hard time parting with stuff as well but when I’m moving I get so tired of dealing with all my crap that I throw a ton of stuff out.
Kacy recently posted..Job Fair Tips and American Idol

28 Ali @ Ali Runs March 4, 2011 at 11:17 am

Good luck packing!! Hope it all goes smoothly! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Honesty

29 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy March 4, 2011 at 11:31 am

I;m having t use everything up in my kitchen before I move in a week too!
Iys challenging, but kind of fun at the same time πŸ™‚
Casey @ Insatiably Healthy recently posted..Technical Difficulties

30 Derek March 4, 2011 at 11:38 am

“…and I really, really need to fit a shower in at one point today. I smell. It’s bad.”

Yes, please shower. Thank you. πŸ˜‰

31 Meghann March 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Don’t worry. I showered. πŸ˜‰

32 Heather March 4, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Packing is the worst!! Once its done though it will have been so worth it =]

33 Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free March 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm

You are so good at getting rid of all your food before the move! Good luck!
Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free recently posted..NEW YORK CITY

34 Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy March 4, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Moving is such a pain!! Best of luck to you!!

35 valerie @ lots of dishes March 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm

you can do it! seems like quite a few bloggers are moving this month. spring cleaning is already done for you!

36 kate March 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Happy simplifying!!
kate recently posted..Winter Citrus Salad

37 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 4, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I have a really hard time throwing stuff out too! You will be glad you did when you have less to unpack πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Water- Water- Everywhere

38 Hilary March 4, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I’m a total kitchen pack rat…can’t get rid of anything because I might need it…so I sympathize with your plight!

39 Emma March 4, 2011 at 11:16 pm

pretend you’re a poor college kid like me and can only afford the necessities!!! which of your stuff would I buy….?
Emma recently posted..6K Coastal Challenge!