more ยป" />

Oscar Talk

by Meghann on February 28, 2011

Who stayed up late watching the Oscars last night?

Thoughts on Anne Hathaway and James Franco hosting?

(I loved them, but I guess I’m smack dab in the middle of the demographic they were aiming for.)

Any major upsets you saw?

(It seemed to me all the predicted winners walked away with statue in hand.)

Fashion?

Lots of dresses to Love! Love! Love!

Screen shot 2011-02-28 at 8.25.07 AM.pngScreen shot 2011-02-28 at 8.25.32 AM.pngScreen shot 2011-02-28 at 8.26.27 AM.pngScreen shot 2011-02-28 at 8.25.49 AM.pngScreen shot 2011-02-28 at 8.26.06 AM.pngScreen shot 2011-02-28 at 8.27.07 AM.png

Did you have a favorite? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I tried to stay up last night to watch the whole telecast, but I could barely make it to best supporting actor before I was falling asleep on the couch. I had been up since 3:30 that morning, ran a half marathon, walked around Epcot, and had no nap. I’m lucky I stayed up that late!

Derek and I struggled to come up with an idea for dinner last night. Let’s just say, we had to get creative with what ever was left in my freezer and fridge, which wasn’t much!

In the end I thought we pulled together a pretty tasty looking plate of food.

I still had half a box of Morning Star Black Bean Burger patties in the freezer. I heated them up with a generous coating of pasta sauce and a sprinkle of blue cheese between the last Arnold’s Thins from the fridge.

My ‘pizza burger’ was delicious.

Carrot fries with bbq sauce on the side.

And a big pickle to finish the plate off.

This morning i slept in and took it easy by taking Maddie on a nice long walk. We did a couple loops of the neighborhood and came home for a bi bowl of cereal for breakfast.

• 1/2 cup Cinnamon Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crisp
  • 1/2 cup Rice Krispie Puffs
  • Athenos Yogurt with Honey
  • Strawberries
  • Peanut Butter Chips

Get used to seeing that breakfast. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be a repeat until Saturday. ๐Ÿ™‚

Disney’s Hercules!

I couldn’t believe how unfamiliar a few of you were with Disney’s Hercules! The movie was definitely a household favorite and always on repeat in the mid-90s! It had to be one of the most under appreciated Disney movies out there.

hercules_3.jpg

If you’ve never seen, it I would recommend adding it to your NetFlix queue immediately. ๐Ÿ˜‰

And if you’re still not convinced here’s a little sneak peak of a song that’s still on my ipod today. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Enjoy!

1 Ali @ Ali on the Run February 28, 2011 at 9:22 am

My favorites of the night were Gwyneth Paltrow and Reese Witherspoon. Reese’s ponytail was so fun and though her dress reminded me of my friend’s high school prom dress (seriously, same dress) her personality makes me love everything she does. I loved hat Gwyneth’s dress was sparkly and amazing, but her hair was simple. Beyond that, I don’t care much for awards shows. Love the dresses though!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..Farewell- February

2 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 28, 2011 at 9:24 am

I love Hercules!

I only watched part of the Oscars — I thought Anne and James were really dull in the parts I saw.

3 Mimi February 28, 2011 at 9:30 am

I LOVED Hercules โ€” And Megra was definitely my favorite part!

I actually re-watched it freshman year of college with my classics-majoring roommmate. She kept telling me how inaccurate it all was!
Mimi recently posted..So long- friend

4 Mari February 28, 2011 at 9:30 am

Aside from Anne Hathaway whooping every time she announced a presenter, I liked them. Sure James wasn’t that animated during the actual show but it worked. I’m in their age group though so this was the first Oscar’s I watched all the way through. It was a little less stuffy than when some of the older people host. Jennifer Hudson, Halle Berry and Sandra Bullock were my faves and all the expected movies won. I’m glad Inception won some awards – great movie!
Mari recently posted..Mind Over Matter

5 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa February 28, 2011 at 9:40 am

I didn’t watch any of the Oscars last night! Might have to go and check out the dresses online. I always thought it would be fun to have some big event like that to dress up for, like really dress up for (and not a wedding! ๐Ÿ™‚
Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa recently posted..vegan night

6 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 28, 2011 at 9:47 am

How do you make carrot fries? And I LOVE that you put pb chips into your breakfast bowl!

7 Kathryn February 28, 2011 at 9:52 am

Two words about the oscars: Javier. Bardem. And I’m totally going out on a limb here because everyone I know already disagrees with me, but my favorite dress of the night was Cate Blanchett.
Kathryn recently posted..Truth Hurts

8 michelle February 28, 2011 at 10:02 am

Meh. I thought they bombed it. I do love Anne Hathaway but she was trying too hard. Ah well. They are young and the nerves were obvious.

I loved Mila Kunis. I thought Sandra looked gorgeous as well.
michelle recently posted..Furniture and Oscars

9 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run February 28, 2011 at 10:06 am

I loved Mila and Gwyneth the best! ๐Ÿ™‚

And I liked James and Anne hosting too. James can do no wrong to me. He’s hilarious! (The Tizzle Wizzle ad on SNL? Classic.)

Anne was good too…but a little too giddy/nervous. Not that I could do a better job. But I’d try just to wear all the awesome dresses.
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Race Review- Gasparilla Half Marathon

10 Rachel February 28, 2011 at 10:12 am

I know the Oscars were last night…but that’s off topic for this blog. Sorry, but I just prefer when blogs maintain their focus rather than bounce around to unrelated subjects. On topic, I’ve been eating a lot of those black bean burgers lately. They taste great; I only wish they weren’t so pricey.

11 Lauren C. February 28, 2011 at 10:16 am

I think that’s a little unfair. The blog would be totally one dimensional if it solely focused on food ALL the time. I think the majority of people enjoy when you talk about other things going on in entertainment/the world.

12 Meghann February 28, 2011 at 10:21 am

I’m sorry Rachel, but I see Meals and Miles as a ‘life blog’ I cover any and everything including oscar talk, health, and fitness.

13 Laura February 28, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I love it when the healthy living bloggers do posts like this; to me, it’s not the definition of a “healthy life” to be so completely hung up on food and exercise that you have nothing else to discuss. I have to admit that I mostly read Meghann’s blog and others because I like her personality and love reading about Florida and Disney etc; I’m not that interested in working out and I don’t follow such a healthy diet. I’m sure I can’t be the only one who likes to read about more than “I ran 10 miles” and “I ate oatmeal again”.

14 Cathy February 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Rachel has a point. If I wanted to read about the Oscars, I would go to an entertainment/pop culture blog. I come here to read about running, nutrition, and healthy living.

15 Meghann February 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm

16 Lacey @ Lake Life February 28, 2011 at 5:56 pm

AMEN Laura! Sometimes I even wonder if some Healthy Living Bloggers don’t just make posts ahead of time, because many of them seem to neglect current events. It’s nice to read something you know is in “real time” ๐Ÿ™‚
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Blog strike

17 Amanda @ Eating Up February 28, 2011 at 10:12 am

That’s my favorite Disney song!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..Link Love- Feb 25

18 Lauren C. February 28, 2011 at 10:12 am

I’ve always liked Hercules, too! I always thought Meg had the most spunk/attitude of any Disney Princess.

And, I thought Anne Hathaway was alright, but James Franco didn’t really do anything the whole time. He seemed bored in a way, and that made me bored with him.

19 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun February 28, 2011 at 10:23 am

True story – After you tweeted about the movie I totally you tubed that exact video. I loved that Disney song and even had it on an old ipod. LOL
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflection- Idolizing Our Bodies

20 Meghann February 28, 2011 at 2:40 pm

That song has not been stuck in my head all day. I really need to locate a copy of the movie on ebay to add to my collection. ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Ashley February 28, 2011 at 10:38 am

I loved Hercules! I remember when it first came out, I so desperately wanted to be Meg. I didn’t watch the telecast but I’m really feeling Mila Kunis’s dress.

22 Kacy February 28, 2011 at 10:41 am

I made it to Best Actor and then went to bed. Loved the fashion! Mila Kunis, Sandra Bullock and Jennifer Hudson were my faves.
I definitely remember Hercules!!

23 Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing February 28, 2011 at 10:44 am

I didn’t see to many dresses I DIDN’t like, but I LOVE Mila’s. I thought Anne did well, but unfortunately had to make up for James Franco’s ride on the Pineapple Express.
Carolyn @ Lovin’ Losing recently posted..Randomness

24 Meghann February 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I didn’t see any I didn’t like either! And I believe some of the appeal for James Franco is his riding on the Pineapple Express. I kind of dig his ‘no care’ attitude. ๐Ÿ™‚

25 Kim @ girlevolving February 28, 2011 at 10:46 am

LOVE Hercules! Such a fun movie.

I didn’t watch last night but am loving looking at all the dresses today!
Kim @ girlevolving recently posted..reader recipe poll- appetizers

26 Jess@atasteofconfidence February 28, 2011 at 10:52 am

haha oh Hercules. kind of forgot about it!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..decisions- decisions

27 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 28, 2011 at 11:01 am

My favourite dress was Jennifer Hudson’s – I thought she looked absolutely gorgeous!! Halle Berry’s was really nice as well.
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Good food- good mood

28 Alaina February 28, 2011 at 11:06 am

I LOVE Hercules!!! Definitely one of my favorite Disney movies. Love the little “minions” of Hades. ๐Ÿ™‚

I watched the Oscars up until the “movie musical” segment. I was worried that Kirk Douglas would keel over. Haha. I loved Natalie Portman’s and Reese Witherspoon’s dresses, too. I like simple.
Alaina recently posted..Vegas Eats

29 Meghann February 28, 2011 at 2:49 pm

awww.. you didn’t like the auto-tune of the movies? I’m a fan of auto-tuning anything, so I loved the segment, but that’s just me ๐Ÿ™‚

30 Alaina February 28, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I thought they were clever; that’s just the moment I remember zonking out. ๐Ÿ˜›
Alaina recently posted..Vegas Eats

31 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 28, 2011 at 11:15 am

While I stayed up watching the entire show, I live on the west coast – so it ended fairly early out here! ๐Ÿ™‚

LOVED all the dresses – I don’t think there was one that I really didn’t like. Everyone kept it classy!

32 Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) February 28, 2011 at 11:24 am

Oops I missed the Oscars…..

33 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep February 28, 2011 at 11:24 am

My absolute favorite of the night was Mandy Moore on the red carpet. She looked stunning.

I thought James Franco was surely stoned.
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Five for Friday- Things You Didnโ€™t Know About Me

34 Laura February 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Agree, and agree. ๐Ÿ™‚

35 Meghann February 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Ditto on those agrees ๐Ÿ™‚

36 Caitlin February 28, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I thought the same thing! especially when he did the fist pump for NYU after best short film…

37 Lacey @ Lake Life February 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I agree about James Franco, even in the pre-show interviews he couldn’t manage to look the interviewer OR the camera in the “eye”.
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Blog strike

38 jane February 28, 2011 at 11:31 am

glad you had fun! how could you not know Hercules?! lol, my cousin is actually the voice of Disney Hercules movie ๐Ÿ˜‰

39 Amanda February 28, 2011 at 11:44 am

My favorite dress of the Oscars was by far Hailee Steinfeld’s. I can’t believe she is only 14 and helped design that dress, Incredible. Scar Jo was looking great as well.

Hurcules is my favorite cartoon movie. ๐Ÿ™‚ I even prefer it over Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King…which is saying a lot.

40 Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) February 28, 2011 at 11:50 am

That song is amazing!! My friends and I used to sing it for musical auditions in high school! ๐Ÿ™‚ Didn’t watch the Oscars, but checked out the style pics after… Halle Berry was definitely my “best dressed”!
Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) recently posted..8 Ways to Simplify Your Life

41 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 28, 2011 at 11:56 am

Ohmygosh! I absolutely LOVE Hercules!!!! “I Won’t Say I’m In Love” is my favorite song!!!!

My favorite dress was Anne Hathaway’s. ๐Ÿ™‚

xoxo
Kathleen
Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner recently posted..FAQ!

42 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 28, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I was never a huge Hercules fan. I think I’ve only seen it once!

My favorite dress was Scarlett Johansson’s ๐Ÿ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..It Wasnโ€™t a PRโ€ฆ

43 Katie (Life... Discombobulated) February 28, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Hercules ROCKED MY WORLD!!!!!!!!! I owned the soundtrack!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ It was SOO inspirational and I still play “Go the Distance” when I need a serious adrenaline rush during my runs. It’s all about overcoming the odds and going for your dreams!
Katie (Life… Discombobulated) recently posted..Whats New

44 Alyssa February 28, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Oh my god I LOVE that movie!!! I went to the Disney on Ice version and got a huge stuffed baby Pegusus for my birthday, and bought a smaller one at Disney World a few years ago ๐Ÿ™‚

45 Becca February 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Pegasus was my FAVORITE!! At daycare, we had a little baby Pegasus figurine thing, and it was practically mine. ๐Ÿ˜›
Becca recently posted..Prom

46 Alyssa February 28, 2011 at 1:05 pm

oh, and when the movie came out I bought a Pegasus plate McDonalds was selling, pretty sure I went there just for that ๐Ÿ™‚

47 Little Bookworm February 28, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Love Hercules, it’s a great film! ๐Ÿ™‚ The pizza burger sounds great as well!

48 Becca February 28, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I didn’t watch the Oscars. I hung out with church girls and then came home to watch random stuff on TV. ๐Ÿ™‚

LOVE Hercules. It was one of my favorites. ๐Ÿ™‚
I also love that you managed to find a French (I think) photo of the cover… Hahaha! ๐Ÿ™‚
Becca recently posted..Prom

49 Meghann February 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm

haha I didn’t even notice that! Google images at its best. ๐Ÿ™‚

50 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 28, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Hercules is one of my ALL time favs! I knew of course, that you were talking about Megra ๐Ÿ™‚ I thought Reese and Natalie looked awesome last night, p.s.

51 Beth @ DiningAndDishing February 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I thought all the women looked so great last night! Usually there’s a couple dresses I really don’t like but not this time. My #1 fave was probably the dress Anne was wearing at the show opening. I totally want to wear that on my wedding day :).
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..Keeping Things Simple

52 Meghann February 28, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I loved her opening dress too, but it looked a tad uncomfortable.

53 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 28, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I didn’t watch the Oscars last night – the Husband was too intrigued with watching The Patriot and I didn’t want to make him turn it off! ๐Ÿ™‚
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..grocery shopping- frontloading

54 Caroline February 28, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Haha, I love Hercules! I realized I was falling for my (now) husband when at some point in college I Won’t Say I’m in Love started running through my head… ๐Ÿ™‚

55 Clare @ Fitting It All In February 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I passed out before the end of the Oscars too. I made it pretty far, but had to get some sleep by 10pm!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Craving Chipotle &amp Pumpkin Muffins

56 Lauren @Hungry Dancer February 28, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I LOVE Hercules!! I watched the Oscars! So glad Natalie Portman won best actress!!
Lauren @Hungry Dancer recently posted..Sprouts!!

57 Allison K. February 28, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Hercules! Hercules!
“Check one for exotic bird bingo!”
Great movie.
Allison K. recently posted..Whole 30- Days 3-6

58 Courtney February 28, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Hercules, Hercules!! What about The Emperor’s New Groove, too!! Way to get it girl. I crashed about the same time you did, I didn’t even have a cool reason like, “I ran a half, I’m a wee tired tonight.”
Courtney recently posted..Monday Funday

59 Emily @ Savory and Savage February 28, 2011 at 2:06 pm

The dresses were definitely my favorite thing about the Oscars.

The whole ‘playing dress-up’ factor is always fun.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..A sunshine morning

60 Lauren February 28, 2011 at 2:59 pm

That’s one of my favorite Disney songs! I even have it on one of my running playlists and know most of the words.
Lauren recently posted..Meet-up in the Maple State

61 Lindsay February 28, 2011 at 4:36 pm

OMG HERCULES!!!!!!! I have that song on my ipod too!!!!!

“If theres a prize for rotten judgemnetttttt, well I guess I’ve already won that”

Gwyneth and Reese were my absoulte FAVES…I love the blondes!

62 Sarah K February 28, 2011 at 5:23 pm

A few things…..
1) I love Hercules! How have so many people missed out on it?! I owned a Meg Barbie when I was little, and love jamming out to Zero to Hero any day.
2) Mila Kunis is one of my all time favorite when it comes to style stars and her dress last night was gorgeous. Basically if I could look like anyone else in the world it would be her. My dad thought the lace on the top of her dress was tattooed to her breast though…..I laughed for a good 5 minutes.
Sarah K recently posted..Phantom of the Opera goes West

63 Lacey @ Lake Life February 28, 2011 at 5:50 pm

If you’re “smack dab in the middle” of the demographic, does that mean the Oscar target audience is age 0-50? I don’t know many 5 year olds that are too excited about The King’s Speech, lol!

As for dressesm I feel like corals and orange don’t get enough credit, therefore Jennifer Hudson’s dress was my favorite!

64 Meghann February 28, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I meant they were aiming for the 20-30 crowd, so I’m in the middle of that. ๐Ÿ™‚

65 Sarah February 28, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I loved the movie Hercules when I was a kid! However, it is completely inaccurate when it compares to real mythology about Hercules haha. Hercules actually killed his family and many other individuals, so he isn’t very heroic, per se, as many people view him.

66 CampingGirl February 28, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I loved the colour of the dresses this year.
CampingGirl recently posted..Puppy Kindergarten- Day 4

67 Tracy @ Commit To Fit February 28, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Hercules was awesome..from zero to hero! ๐Ÿ™‚
Tracy @ Commit To Fit recently posted..Passion- Determination and Opportunity

68 Marika March 1, 2011 at 2:47 am

I totally remember Hercules! That’s pretty much the last Disney animated film that was released before I grew out of my Disney phase ๐Ÿ™‚ (and I still remember the lyrics to “I Can Go The Distance”, LOL).
Marika recently posted..Catching up- Weekend cruise to Stockholm