Dusting off the Tiara

by Meghann on February 26, 2011

Move over Mickey Mouse – the Princesses are in town!

Two years ago I attended the Disney Princess Half Marathon Expo for fun.

Last year Derek and I volunteered at the race and cheered all of our favorite runners on.

This year is the first year I’ll officially be running the race! Finally! After two years of coming so close, it will be fun to actually experience what all this Princess is about. πŸ˜‰

Not only am I running the race, but I have the distinct honor of joining my brother and sister along the course. We have fun outfits picked out and plan to take our time enjoying the race with photos, video, and any other crazy antics we can come up with. πŸ™‚

I <3 them!

My dear friend Brie (who I had the pleasure of meeting in Chicago this past October and writes an amazing blog called Brie Fit <- check it out πŸ˜‰ ) is in town this weekend running the Princess Half with her sister, so obviously we had to get together for breakfast this morning. Obviously. πŸ˜‰

After a quick search on DisneyFoodBlog.com (<– a GREAT resource if you ever visit Disney!) we concluded that Kouzzina by Cat Cora at The Boardwalk Hotel would be the best on property breakfast place.

I constantly find myself impressed by all of the different restaurant and food choices Disney has to offer and Kouzzina was no exception. From the service to the atmosphere to menu it was all wonderful.

Brie, Kelly, and I made a 9:00am reservation the night before and were seated within minutes of arriving.

The Kouzzina menu is based off of Cat Cora’s family Greek recipes with a touch of southern flare. I was drawn to the pecan waffles or the orange pancakes, but eventually settled with the Kouzzina Breakfast Stack.

The breakfast stack came with sweet potato hash, poached eggs, artichoke spread, and kalamata olive toast with a side of bacon.

I have no idea what what in the sweet potato hash, but oh-me-oh-my I need this recipe ASAP. It was soft, sweet, and really, really delicious!!

I stole a bite of my sister’s waffle and found it equally enjoyable. Add pecans to anything and I’m sold on it. πŸ˜‰

After breakfast we headed to the expo to pick up our bids. We thought we were being smart by going early, but at 10:00am that expo was packed!

IMG_8134.JPG IMG_8135.jpg

While waiting in line we ran into Melissa from Crunches for Cupcakes. We had met back in August at the Healthy Living Summit. Such a small world!

Also, it was fun wearing this amazing shirt my sister got me for Christmas. On the back are all my marathon times!!

IMG_8148.jpgIMG_8147.jpg

I have the best sister!! πŸ™‚

Alright, I have a belated birthday celebration to get to.

Adios!

1 Freya February 26, 2011 at 12:34 pm

:O what an amazing t-shirt!! Ohmygosh, I want one so bad now πŸ˜›
That’s a huge expo – I don’t think the Marine Corps marathon one was that big..I bet you got loads of free stuff πŸ˜›
Freya recently posted..Tonight Matthew- I’m going to be…

2 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun February 26, 2011 at 12:40 pm

That race looks and sounds like such fun. I love that you all are racing it in such a laid back attitude. I can’t wait to hear about your little antics. πŸ˜‰
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflection- Idolizing Our Bodies

3 Amanda @ Eating Up February 26, 2011 at 12:52 pm

That’s such a cute shirt. What a great gift!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..Link Love- Feb 25

4 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 26, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Thanks for the link to that Disney Food blog! I never kenw that existed!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..five year time warp

5 Christine February 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I love that your brother is running a Princess race πŸ™‚ And I’m jealous that you got to eat at one of Cat’s restaurants. Good luck tomorrow!
Christine recently posted..Get Excited

6 Mimi February 26, 2011 at 1:06 pm

That shirt is just way too cute! What a cool idea your sister had!
Mimi recently posted..Grilled Mango with Vanilla Ice Cream

7 Emily @ Savory and Savage February 26, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I love that shirt!!

Have fun at the race!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Waste not want not and peanut butter muesli

8 Ali @ Ali Runs February 26, 2011 at 1:46 pm

It’s so cool that 3 of your 4 siblings are running the race!! πŸ™‚ Also–LOVE that shirt!! What a great idea for a gift!! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Hair Today- Gone Tomorrow

9 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 26, 2011 at 1:47 pm

How fun! I’m jealous! Running at Disney was so much fun! πŸ™‚

10 brianna February 26, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Disney has a rule that all restaurants are required to give you the recipe if you ask for it – if you ever go back you should definitely ask for the sweet potato hash recipe!

11 Laura H. February 26, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Seeing the back of your shirt is so inspirational. I hope to do that many marathons one day! So far, I’ve only done one. πŸ™‚

12 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 26, 2011 at 2:06 pm

That restaurant looks DELICIOUS.
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Long Run Nutrition- Fueling On The Run

13 Kara February 26, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I love that t-shirt! Good luck at the race!
Kara recently posted..Why running is a humbling sport

14 Hilary February 26, 2011 at 2:35 pm

SO JEALOUS! I really want to do the Disney princess half….and that breakfast looked amazing, and I love your shirt. Have fun tomorrow!
Hilary recently posted..Mythbusters- Diet Edition

15 Fit Chick Britt February 26, 2011 at 2:43 pm

That shirt is awesome!! It makes me want to run more marathons so I can get one!!
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..Friday Favorites- My Favorite Races

16 Katie February 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Good Luck Tomorrow! Im so Jealous! I hope to be running it next year! Since I’m from Wisconsin, I waited too long to buy a plane ticket!

17 Runeatrepeat February 26, 2011 at 3:35 pm

LOVE that shirt.
Runeatrepeat recently posted..15 Great Miles

18 Jena February 26, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Uhm, wow. My BFF is in the 3rd picture with you holding the sign. We also volunteered @ the Disney Princess last year and we were at that same location. If you look on the other side of the runners across the road she is the blonde in the green shirt with the long sleeve shirt underneath.

How random! I was there as well, but I don’t see myself in the picture.

Good Luck tomorrow! Stay Hydrated! It was hot as heck today @ Gasparilla!!

19 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) February 26, 2011 at 3:48 pm

What a great shirt!
Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) recently posted..1422…Ultimate Mac and Cheese with Bacon

20 Alaina February 26, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Have a great time at the race! Your shirt is adorable and breakfast looks amazing. Ah, I’m jealous of the warm weather! πŸ˜‰
Alaina recently posted..Vegas Eats

21 SaraRM February 26, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I want to run that race so bad! It sounds like such a fun experience.

The breakfast menu looks amazing! YUM

22 Lauren @chigallauren February 26, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I’ll be looking forward to that sweet potato hash recipe!!!
Lauren @chigallauren recently posted..Guilty Pleasures

23 Biz February 26, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Okay, now I need to find that recipe for sweet potato hash – I never like sweet potatoes until about 6 months ago – weird!

Have fun!
Biz recently posted..He’s Home!

24 Ashley February 26, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I’m going to disney in june!I may have hit up your awesome posts for food ideas. Expo looks fun, and crowded!

25 Danielle Dillard February 26, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I went to the expo on Friday afternoon and the crowd wasn’t too bad. Love the shirt! Good luck on race day : )
Danielle Dillard recently posted..131

26 Cate February 26, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I love that you are running with your brother and sister – it should make for a fun run! I am volunteer for the race tomorrow as a part of the information team. It is my first time volunteering for a race and I am excited it is the Princess Half. I will be wearing a Mickey sorcerer hat and orange apron in the big staging area before you head to the corrals. Maybe we will spot each other!
Good luck tomorrow! πŸ™‚
Cate recently posted..IronGirl Half Marathon Training &amp Volunteering

27 Amy (Eat Teach Run) February 26, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Cute shirt!!!! Also, you look adorable…and super summer-y in your skirt. It makes me want summer to get here SO BAD!
Have fun running tomorrow! Can’t wait to hear about it!
Amy (Eat Teach Run) recently posted..mmmm CUPCAKES

28 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life February 26, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Love that food site–what a great resource!
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..Etsy- Part Two

29 Little Bookworm February 26, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Good luck with the race! πŸ™‚
Little Bookworm recently posted..Cakes and Icing Galore

30 Kelly- Shiny Happy Vegan February 26, 2011 at 5:59 pm

That shirt your sister made you is such a good idea πŸ™‚
Kelly- Shiny Happy Vegan recently posted..A Visit From the Parental Units

31 skinnyrunner February 26, 2011 at 7:19 pm

im so jealous your running that race, looks like a good one!
skinnyrunner recently posted..My multiple personalities

32 Val @ Balancing Val February 26, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Disney has a food blog?!?!

I must check that out!!

I think the food is the one of the best parts about Disney.

I LOVED the food and wine festival and cant wait to go back to it some day! πŸ™‚

33 Lauren @Hungry Dancer February 26, 2011 at 8:25 pm

So glad you will be running the race this time!!!!
Lauren @Hungry Dancer recently posted..Sprouts!!

34 breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 February 26, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Love your shirt! Good luck on your race!

(I did the Gasparilla 5K Walk today – my first 5K in anything!)

35 Amanda February 26, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Good luck at the race!!! I really want to run the Princess Marathon ro Half Marathon next year!!!

36 Kristen February 26, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I love love love that shirt!!!! Such a great gift!

Good luck with the run tomorrow! It’s great you guys are taking the time to have fun!!! I am super jealous and want to be running it too!

37 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 26, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I am definitely drooling over that pancake. I developed a pecan addiction a few months ago- the only problem is that I’m out! πŸ™
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..It Wasn’t a PR…

38 Shannon February 26, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Hey!! I ran the royal family 5k in disney today. First race ever…of many because I’ve already signed up for a ton. I had such a great time. I will definitely be running the princess half next year!!! Good luck tomorrow!!! I had such a blast in disney today!! They definitely know how to put on a great event.

39 mary February 27, 2011 at 10:55 am

Good luck with the princess half this weekend! πŸ™‚
mary recently posted..Blondes do it Better

40 natalie (the sweets life) February 28, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I recently made sweet potato hash! It’ll be up on the blog soon—amazing and EASY!
natalie (the sweets life) recently posted..Chocolate Chip Reeses Pieces Cookies

41 Heather February 28, 2011 at 5:47 pm

looks like yall had a blast. I love the disney food blog, I did a review for them awhile back on the Grand Floridian Cafe!
I am hoping to run princess next year!
Heather recently posted..Accepting a Change of Plans