The Cool Spots

by Meghann on February 25, 2011

Good News! I don’t owe the government 1 million dollars….. yet.

I stayed at my parents’ house last night so I could be up super early for an 8:30 appointment with my accountant this morning. It was a very productive meeting where I handed over all the information I had spent hours organizing and sorting on my end and she smiled and said ‘I’ll take it from here.’ Those words were music to my ears. πŸ™‚

Before the meeting I had just enough time for a quick 3 mile run with Maddie around my parents’ neighborhood (I’ve never seen a dog more excited to run somewhere new) and breakfast at my favorite Titusville breakfast spot – Sunrise Bakery.

IMAG0516.jpg

When I was in high school the ‘it’ breakfast spot before school was a tiny BBQ place down the road called Louis’ BBQ. We met there almost every Friday morning for biscuits and gravy with a side of sweet tea. Bonus points if you took the huge styrofoam cup of sweet tea with you to school to sip on for the remainder of the day.

That was back in the early 2000s. Looks like the new ‘it’ breakfast spot has moved to Sunrise Bakery. The place was full of teenage kids carrying book bags and killing time before the first school bell. In the crowd of cool kids and take-no-prisinor attitudes, I started having major flashbacks to what it was like to be 16 again.

cheerleaders.jpg

It was fun, but I’m pretty sure I don’t want to go back. Being a teenager is filled with too much anxiety for my taste. πŸ˜‰

I avoided the high schoolers by staying downstairs and finding a table in the corner to call my own.

IMAG0515.jpg

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Sunrise Scones (which has been documented on the blog many times over), but baked goods are pretty much all Sunrise has to offer, so this time I came prepared with the makings for a more satisfying, well balanced meal.

IMAG0511.jpg

There was the obligatory Blueberry Scone

IMAG0512.jpg

with the addition of the homemade raspberry jam I packed from home to give the scone a little kick

IMAG0513.jpg

and an apple because I feel breakfast is not complete without a side of fruit. πŸ™‚

IMAG0514.jpg

Much better. πŸ™‚

Was there a cool breakfast spot when you were in high school?

I think High School was all about the ‘cool spots’

For instance:

• Beach spot? Playalinda, Pier #5
  • Food after football games? Dogs R Us
  • Friends’ house? Jimmy’s <– his parents were never home!

1 kristy @ kristyruns.com February 25, 2011 at 10:11 am

Everyone would go to a hole-in-the-wall place called Stilesboro Biscuits in high school. Mmmmm… So good!
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..To Skirt Or Not To Skirt

2 Stacy @ Every Little Thing February 25, 2011 at 10:12 am

The 7-11 was always hopping before school, otherwise not really. Most people got to school somewhat early and ate breakfast in the cafeteria!

I can tell you now though that the local high school spot is Einstein’s. If I stop there before work, it’s always PACKED with hs kids!
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..February Grocery Event- Week 4

3 Dori February 25, 2011 at 10:12 am

My school was way too big and students came from all over, so there was no one “breakfast spot,” or any “cool spots” at all. But I often picked up a bagel and hot chocolate from a bagel place called Slim’s that was near school and a bunch of students went to.
Dori recently posted..Mat 57 at Physique 57

4 Ali @ Ali on the Run February 25, 2011 at 10:12 am

I grew up in a tiny town, so for big nights out we went to Friendly’s or Applebee’s (a 30 minute drive away!). After that we’d “walk the mall.” Haha. The “older” cool kids hung out at the local gas station.

Aren’t you jealous you didn’t grow up in Contoocook, NH, like I did? Hehe. Glad you’re enjoying a bit of family time!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..A Revelation

5 Marina February 25, 2011 at 10:13 am

Ah, we didn’t have the breakfast spot unfortunately, but we did have spots for coffee when skipping math class πŸ˜€ Really really close to our school, and all our teacher saw us there, but they didn’t care πŸ™‚
Marina recently posted..some health stuff

6 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 25, 2011 at 10:13 am

Our “it” spot was Pizza Hut after football games and DQ at lunch.

I’m with you that the memories are fun…but too much anxiety for my taste to want to go back πŸ™‚
Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl recently posted..Volvos and Tennis Lessons

7 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin February 25, 2011 at 10:17 am

We had this place called Patty’s Pantry right down the street from my highschool that everyone went to. It was definitely the place to be!

8 Stephanie @ Living and Loving February 25, 2011 at 10:23 am

In 9th grade, I lived on St. Simons Island (off the coast of GA) and every single morning before school, we would go to this breakfast place called Sweet Mamas. I always got pork poppers and the bacon biscuit with the Styrofoam cup of sweet tea. So unhealthy, but who cares!? It was 9th grade and we were all twigs πŸ˜‰ My friends dad drove us there every morning, and it was, hands down, the best part about going to school!

Now that I’m in Austin, TX… I still dream about going back there and think about that place often!!
Stephanie @ Living and Loving recently posted..Not to sweet Blueberry Muffins

9 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 25, 2011 at 10:32 am

I went to high school in the Middle East, and our school had big gates up around it with guards so we didn’t normally leave unless it was the end of the day because it was way too much hassle! However, after our basketball matches and other sports stuff, my friends would usually want to go to some fast food restaurant. Definitely didn’t feel like partaking in the food portion but I went for the socializing!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Yay x2

10 Hope February 25, 2011 at 10:42 am

That scone looks delicious! The cool spot to hang out at is this 50’s style restaurant that is famous for their million different types of milkshakes and cheese fries! I still love that place. They seriously have the best milkshakes ever πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Missed Memo &amp New Coffee Machine…

11 Kathryn February 25, 2011 at 10:43 am

Connie’s Chicken N Biscuit (could it sound any more like a Mississippi joint?) was the place in high school. Everyone went there on Thursday morning for the chicken biscuit, but I knew better. Their blueberry doughnuts are INSANE.

My mouth is now watering just thinking about it. I hate when that happens.

Next time you are in Tampa, try Pinkie’s (if you haven’t already). It’s my current favorite and I think their oatmeal pancakes are some of the best I’ve had.
Kathryn recently posted..Now I Can Crowd Your Newsfeed In Even More Annoying Ways!

12 Tay February 25, 2011 at 10:50 am

Ha that’s kinda funny! My school didn’t have any breakfast spots. It never even crossed our mind to go out to breakfast unless we had a late start to the day on rare occasions. I think it might’ve been because our school was in the middle of neighborhoods – no where NEAR any type of food joint!
Tay recently posted..Sweet Relief

13 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 25, 2011 at 10:51 am

Our cafeteria!! We had a hot chocolate machine and breakfast sandwiches that people were obsessed with haha. Though our “hangout spot” was more after school- Chili’s. My entire graduating class was obsessed with skillet queso and molten chocolate cakes.
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Whipped!

14 Ashley February 25, 2011 at 10:52 am

Most people at my school would Either go to McDonalds or Bojangles before school started. And the person’s house to be at was Anna’s because her parents let her throw huge parties. Scone looks good!

15 Ali February 25, 2011 at 10:52 am

GAH! i want to go back there and have a scone! Thanks for introducing me to such a delicious place while I was in Titusville. I have been craving those scones and muffins ever since.
Ali recently posted..Rainy Friday

16 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 25, 2011 at 10:53 am

Our hip spot was McDonald’s. LOL.

My staple meal was two sausage and cheese biscuits, two hash browns, and a Sunkist. Those were the days…
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..The Athlete’s Plate Challenge- Avocado Stuffed Sweet Potato

17 Ali @ Ali Runs February 25, 2011 at 10:55 am

It’s so funny to think back on high school and where the “cool spots” were. I live in a pretty small town but we did have a movie theater and went there pretty much every friday night. It’s hard to believe tickets were so cheap back then since they are SO expensive now. We would also go skiing every Thursday for the Ski Club which was pretty fun.

Sometimes a part of me wishes I could go back to high school to play soccer or run track again and put forth maximum effort. But definitely do not want to go back to the drama. πŸ™‚ Glad you had fun with your family!!

18 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me February 25, 2011 at 10:56 am

There was definitely not a cool breakfast spot near my high school. There were kids that smoked across the street but other than that it was pretty lame. I wish there was a cool spot. That place was so cute and quaint.
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Spicin It Up

19 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 25, 2011 at 10:58 am

We didn’t have a cool breakfast spot when I was in high school…or maybe I just didn’t know about it. I wasn’t exactly “cool” in high school. πŸ˜‰

20 Mimi February 25, 2011 at 10:59 am

We didn’t really have any cool breakfast spots, but my friends and I LOVED going to Quik Shop to get the very large, very rich Chai lattes.

P.S. I love that your school’s mascot is an astronaut. How Florida appropriate!
Mimi recently posted..Honeymoon dreamin’

21 Meghann February 25, 2011 at 11:02 am

Out mascot was the War Eagle – it was Astronaut High School. People used to confuse the two all the time! πŸ™‚

22 Caitlin February 25, 2011 at 11:16 am

Kristien’s house was the cool house πŸ™‚
Caitlin recently posted..The Magic Stick

23 Amanda @ Eating Up February 25, 2011 at 11:24 am

Ours was a chain-Panera. But in our case, being from St. Louis, it’s called Saint Louis Bread Co. because it started there!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..Link Love- Feb 25

24 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 25, 2011 at 11:25 am

We were always at Perkins or Caribou Coffee. . . it is so wierd now 10 years later to go to those spots and see the high school kids hanging out, thinking they are so cool and know everything. . .ahhh to be naive and in high school again!

25 Lindsay February 25, 2011 at 11:39 am

How did people have time to meet up for breakfast before school?! We started class at 7:35 and there was no way I was sittin down for some food beforehand. Some people grabbed bagels or egg sandwiches from the cafeteria and took it to 1st period, but sadly there was no pre-class hot spot πŸ™
Lindsay recently posted..Three-Day Weekend Foodie Adventures

26 Becca February 25, 2011 at 12:12 pm

You started before 8??? Our high school started at 8, and I ate breakfast at home. The bus came at… right before 7 (which meant I’d wake up at 6 to shower and eat), and got to school about 7:30. When I drove myself, I’d leave by 7:15 at the latest. A couple of years ago, our junior high schedule changed to start like five minutes before 8… Anything earlier than that sounds terrible. I know that there are a couple of classes at my college that start at 7:30, but I haven’t had to take them, thank goodness. I’m not even awake at 7:30. Haha!
Our high school does serve breakfast, but I don’t think very many people take advantage of it… Partly because of timing.
Becca recently posted..Love is a many splendored thing…

27 caitie February 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm

My high school started at SEVEN!!!!!!!! I actually didnt think it was that bad. And senior year i was dual enrolled so I took hs classes and college ones in the afternoons or evenings, so i was out of high school by 10:35! Loved it!

28 dawn February 25, 2011 at 11:51 am

steak n shake was the hot spot after football/basketball games. sooo many good times πŸ™‚

29 Alaina February 25, 2011 at 11:53 am

Our cool spot was pretty much Dunkin Donuts. Everyone in high school worked there. πŸ˜› And pretty much everyone came in with a cup. And if you came in after the bell rang, and you had a DD cup, it would be confiscated. Don’t miss high school at all!
Alaina recently posted..Vegas Eats

30 Becca February 25, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Hmmmmm… Well, I left high school two years ago, so I should remember the hang-out spots. But I don’t. Because I never went to them. πŸ˜›

I would always hear people talking about Sunray or Freida’s, and finally, just this year, I figured out where Freida’s was. Went there before school one morning and it was a bunch of old people. Hahaha! I’m sure it was full of high school kids an hour or two earlier… πŸ˜›

Our church has become a hang-out spot for high school kids after home football or (specific) home basketball games in the last couple of years. They play games and eat food and stuff. Kind of cool.
Becca recently posted..Love is a many splendored thing…

31 kathleen February 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I did taxes for a season just after college. We loved it when clients organized their stuff. Makes life so much easier (some people would literally top of boxes of receipts). See, the school my husband works at it in a small town but they don’t have any places like these. You know, small town bakeries or even a decent restaurant that’s why we moved. Such a shame. Maybe if we move back I will have to open my own…
kathleen recently posted..A case of the Februaries

32 Erin February 25, 2011 at 12:11 pm

It was all I could do to get to school on time, let alone get up even earlier to meet anyone for breakfast! So, no, there were no before school hangout spots for my crowd unless you could sitting in front of someone’s locker.

My freshman year I went to the same pizza place for lunch every day and once we had cars we’d hang out at a local diner or sometimes Perkins but otherwise we were cheap and only went to people’s houses.
Erin recently posted..MRI Dont Know

33 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) February 25, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I went to a very small, all girls high school. My graduating class was 45 women. We didn’t really have hang out spots so I didn’t experience the typical high school stuff. πŸ™‚
Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) recently posted..Birthday Cake Coma

34 Kacy February 25, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Haha, my town was so small there really weren’t any spots to go. A cow pasture maybe πŸ™‚
Kacy recently posted..A letter to my lost self

35 Courtney February 25, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I agree completely. I liked high school, but have NO desire to go back to that time.

36 Stephanie February 25, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Little Red Barn! The standard gravy, biscuits and tea. Around my junior-senior year though it started shifting to Chick-fil-A, which according to my brother-in-law who attends the same school, is still the place πŸ™‚
Stephanie recently posted..Sweet Potato and Pinto Bean Chili

37 Courtney February 25, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Wow – thanks for the flashback πŸ™‚ So many memories attached to those “cool spots”! So many things I would totally be willing to relive!

38 Lauren @Hungry Dancer February 25, 2011 at 2:10 pm

You were a cheerleader!! Love it!! There wasn’t any cool breakfast spots because school started way too early!! We did have some fun off campus lunch spots!
Lauren @Hungry Dancer recently posted..Life in the Fab Lane

39 Clare @ Fitting It All In February 25, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Bread Co (aka Panera to those outside of St. Louis) was the place to go in highschool. Bagels for breakfast, You Pick Twos for lunch or dinner!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Calling All Dessert Recipes!

40 Hilary February 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm

IF there was a cool breakfast spot, then I wasn’t cool enough to know about it! I am definitely glad not to be in high school anymore! And I totally agree with you – breakfast needs fruit!

41 Kara February 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm

In my high school, it was cool to hit up the 7-11 before school and come to 1st period with a slurpee….at 7:20am. Ah, memories.

I love that Maddie enjoys running a new place. She’s braver than my dog. Anytime my dog runs somewhere new, it’s so scary for her πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..A day in the life of Faith

42 jazmine @ Gracefully Glutenless February 25, 2011 at 8:39 pm

well I’m still in high school! but I just moved out of the city and there we all used to go to the diner right near my school… now it’s Denny’s! which is pretty hard for me to stay healthy:)

43 Raya February 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I grew up in the tiniest town and the “party” spot was this place called “The Hole” and it was, quite literally, a big hole in the middle of the woods. I heard about it all the time but only went there once, and that was after our high school graduation.
Raya recently posted..Garbage Plate Moving In

44 Mac February 25, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Perkins was our spot- open anytime and conveniently located one block from my high school!
Mac recently posted..Cram- Cram- Cram