more ยป" />

Shambles

by Meghann on February 25, 2011

There’s no hiding it now. My apartment is in shambles.

Boxes, Boxes, and More Boxes!

I’m a week away from moving and I’m in that weird ‘I want to pack everything, but am scared I’ll need XYZ item before I move’ stage. Eekkk!! There’s definitely a fine line between packing enough to be productive and packing so much that you’re digging for that special pair of shoes before moving day.

Does anyone have any good rules for packing? What should be packed first and what should be packed last? I need advice!

On the way home my my parents’ this afternoon I decided to make a mini detour and make use of a birthday coupon for a free frozen yogurt that was 2 days away from expiring. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMAG0517.jpg

A word of advice for anyone else who tries to use the birthday coupon – ask for the ‘special birthday cup’ before you start filling up. No one gave me that warning – oops! – but the cashier was really sweet and let me slide by with a free regular size cup. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMAG0519.jpg

The mix included peanut butter, coffee, red velvet, and cake batter. It was probably the best ‘build your own’ combo I’ve ever had. Well, minus holiday flavors – nothing will ever compare to the holiday flavors.

IMAG0518.jpg

๐Ÿ™‚

IMAG0521.jpg

As I was leaving I randomly ran into my Uncle who was treating his two lovely granddaughters to cupcakes and ice cream.

IMAG0527.jpg

Orlando is so small sometimes!

IMAG0525.jpg IMAG0526.jpg

The packing fury took over as soon as I got home.

Dinner was the last of my frozen soups.

This beauty was a sweet potato & kale blend from November 2010. ‘ Twas an excellent month for soup. ๐Ÿ˜‰

And the last of my frozen corn muffins

I’ve bene eating my way through my freezer and fridge foodwise, but I almost forgot about the alcohol. Of course, I need to drink up before I leave too.

IMG_8093.jpg

Beer is good.

Derek and I just sat down to watch the movie ‘You Again’ So far I’m liking it.

Good Night!

1 Ali @ Ali on the Run February 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm

As for pack, get all of your clothes packed. Leave out a few outfits, but get the rest packed up. And shoes. You won’t need them. Promise!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..A Revelation

2 Ali @ Ali on the Run February 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Obviously I type too fast and meant to write “As for packing.” Oops ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy the process and don’t let it stress you out too much!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..A Revelation

3 Ash Bear February 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Good luck with the rest of your packing! ๐Ÿ™‚ We always pack the kitchen last!
Ash Bear recently posted..A Single Lady Evening

4 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I agree with Ali. Clothes and shoes! But make sure you keep a few out! I know how much it sucks to move! I’ve done it twice in the last year and a half (moving to one apartment and then another)!

5 Amanda @ Eating Up February 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I don’t know where I would start if I had to pack up everything! I’m totally impressed you have already started!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..Link Love- Feb 25

6 Kelly February 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm

๐Ÿ™ This post makes me sad that you are moving. I will definitely miss you being a short 20 minutes away.
Kelly recently posted..Follow Coupon Blogs

7 Becky at Flybynyght February 25, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Plan your outfits and your activities for the next week and don’t pack those. Then try to do what you’re doing with your fridge and just stick to what you have out ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck in the homestretch!
Becky at Flybynyght recently posted..4-52 Butternut Squash Ravioli w Parm Butter Sauce Becky

8 Katherine: Unemployed February 25, 2011 at 10:20 pm

ya same about the room in shambles… oh wait you’re moving. what’s my excuse? haha your second-nieces (or nieces once removed?) are adorable!
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Gretchen Wieners

9 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) February 25, 2011 at 10:30 pm

My apartment looks like yours right now — shambles! Official move out date is Monday but we’re pretty much out of here tomorrow. There’s no furniture left (sold!) and everything is boxed up. Such a mess.
Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) recently posted..Thankful Thursday

10 Little Miss Fitness February 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I’m glad you treated yourself to Sweet! before heading back to the packing…oh man…my husband and I have moved so many times…it’s definitely exhausting! I suggest packing a lot of your kitchen stuff and leaving a couple plates, a couple glasses, etc. ๐Ÿ™‚ That way you feel like some of your cupboards are bare!

Good luck!
Little Miss Fitness recently posted..Hereโ€™s to you- Giada!

11 BroccoliHut February 25, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I totally know that feeling–I packed up all my stuff a bit too early before moving out of my apartment (a full week!) and I ended up digging through a lot of boxes throughout those last few days…
BroccoliHut recently posted..โ€œExcuse me- where do you keep the lardโ€

12 Twirling Girl February 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Yuck, I hate moving! But living in NYC I have to do it alllll the time. What I do:

1) Early on, pack everything I don’t use weekly. This includes books, artwork, extra bedding, random instruments, etc.

2) Go room by room. Isolate the things you ABSOLUTELY need from the things that you don’t consistently need. For example, I ABSOLUTELY need a pan, a knife, and my french press in the kitchen, but I don’t necessarily need all 6 pans, 8 knives, or my blender. Pack the things that aren’t absolutely basic. Sometimes it’s freeing to be limited to certain items… you get creative!

3) When I have about a week to go, I get out my big travel suitcase and fill it with a week’s worth of clothing and toiletries. I make a week-long meal plan and pack everything that I don’t need to make those meals. I leave out one pen, one pencil, a couple of books, etc. Basically, I imagine that I’ll be living in a hotel for a week. Everything else, I pack away and seal. It makes it much easier to keep everything organized when you slowly pare down what you have to pack and don’t try and do it all at once, at least in my moving experience!

13 Meghan@travelwinedine February 25, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Just pretend you are going away for a week; pack enough clothes, shoes, cosmetics, workout gear to the side to wear/use for the next week. Everything else gets boxed up! And then make sure the first boxes you unpack are bedtime things/toiletries/linens so that when you are tired from the move you can get to bed easily!

14 Meredith February 25, 2011 at 11:01 pm

i usually pack books and decorative items first, bathroom and kitchen stuff last.
Meredith recently posted..โ€œcarbs are badโ€ and other myths

15 Ellie @ The Mommyist February 25, 2011 at 11:10 pm

My advice for packing? Pack everything and don’t worry so much about if you might need it. There is almost nothing you can’t live without for 2 weeks. You may kinda regret packing that pair of shoes but you will REALLY regret not having packed any of your shoes. Just make sure you don’t pack your toothbrush or deodorant and you’ll be fine. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Alos, Starbucks “bean boxes” are the perfect size for packing. If you need more boxes ask your local Starbucks what day they get their bean order and then ask them to hold the boxes for you.
Ellie @ The Mommyist recently posted..Portlands Idea of a Snow Day

16 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 25, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Plain & simple: Beer is good.

Well said! ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Lea peabody February 25, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Girl I pack every 13 weeks to move and it doesn’t get easier. Clothes are good to pack and kitchen stuff. Leave the essentials out and plan ahead!

18 Mari February 26, 2011 at 12:01 am

“You Again” was such a funny movie! I know you’ll enjoy it. A true ‘laugh out loud and laugh often’ flick!
Mari recently posted..Getting It In With ViPR!

19 Kiran February 26, 2011 at 12:04 am

I guess labeling boxes would help. You wouldn’t want to pack different items in a box. e.g. Shoes should all fit in a box or two, that way you aren’t too stressed out looking through each and every box.
Kiran recently posted..So Fresh!

20 Brittney February 26, 2011 at 12:36 am

When I moved out of my apartment I had the same issue with needing to know what to pack! I tried to cook up enough meals that I could reheat until I moved so that I could pack up all my kitchen stuff… and I used paper plates and plastic utensils! I only had a few outfits and I did laundry the night before I moved with what I’d worn, and I packed up EVERYTHING except my tv and laptop. It was kinda hard living like that for a week, but in the end it was so worth it because I wasn’t trying to pack at the last minute.
Brittney recently posted..Oh Americaโ€ฆ

21 ezzie February 26, 2011 at 12:38 am

Packing is defiantly easier said than done! I still have my whole closet to tackle before we make the move. yikes!
ezzie recently posted..Milk in a goblet

22 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. February 26, 2011 at 1:02 am

Good luck with the packing! My move is on Sunday and I’m currently in the “how did I accumulate so much crap?!” stage!
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..girls on the run is so much fun

23 Little Bookworm February 26, 2011 at 5:00 am

Good luck with all the packing!
Little Bookworm recently posted..Cakes and Icing Galore

24 Grace February 26, 2011 at 6:47 am

I had no idea that sweet had a birthday deal thing! I am so going to sign up for that! Right now! Good luck with all your packing, I find it amazing how much stuff I have every time I have to move!
Grace recently posted..In the next 30 daysโ€ฆ

25 Carrie February 26, 2011 at 7:18 am

I learned a few things from moving five times in less then 5 years, I learned a few tricks!

1: ALWAYS set aside at least a weeks worth of clothing, plus two extra days worth. I say two extra days on top of that because sometimes poop happens and it never hurts to be prepared. Don’t forget your accessories and a coat too! Also, don’t forget any medications, vitamins, contacts/solution, set that aside too.

2: Label, label, label! Oh good Lord label. Put down what’s in the box and what room it goes in. Finding a box of foodstuffs in your bedroom can make you go “What the heck!?” upon unpacking.

3: Save packing the cleaning stuff for last, because well you got to clean the place after everything is moved out right?

4: I don’t know if this one will apply when you move in with Derek but pack your bed linens last and unpack them first and make your bed. That way you can just go straight to bed without having to dig through a million boxes.

5: De-junk before you pack and after you pack. Because sometimes you really need to move into the new place to realise that somethings you thought were really useful, were in reality just junk.

26 Marlow February 26, 2011 at 7:36 am

Every time I’ve moved, one week out I pack a suitcase as if I’m going on a trip. That way I know I have everything I might need. Everything else, pack it up! ๐Ÿ™‚
Marlow recently posted..Sick of Salads

27 Lauren February 26, 2011 at 7:52 am

Oh my, I wish I had good advice but when we moved, I ended up getting really frustrated and just threw everything into boxes. I’m actually a little scared to open that pod next weekend and see the damage. The only thing I can think to tell you is to make sure you have LOTS and LOTS of wine! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Lauren recently posted..Sammy Turns 5!!

28 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life February 26, 2011 at 7:52 am

Yum. What a way to celebrate. Happy packing!

29 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 26, 2011 at 8:03 am

Good luck with the packing!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..five year time warp

30 Hope February 26, 2011 at 9:22 am

Good luck packing! It will all be done before you know it. Just make sure to label the boxes so that you know what is in each box. ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope recently posted..Missed Memo &amp New Coffee Machineโ€ฆ

31 Hilary February 26, 2011 at 9:40 am

Mmm….that yogurt looks GOOD! Don’t really have any great packing tips except do it in stages if you can!
Hilary recently posted..Mythbusters- Diet Edition

32 Ashley February 26, 2011 at 9:58 am

Good luck with packing! Just leave out a few things you need then have a special miscellaneous box at the end of the week. The yogurt looks good!

33 Semisweet Courtney February 26, 2011 at 9:59 am

Yum! I wish there was a place like Sweet in Chicago!
Semisweet Courtney recently posted..February Beauty Review

34 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 26, 2011 at 10:32 am

YAY for free Frozen Yogurt! ๐Ÿ˜€ I love that you put Peanut Butter on it! ๐Ÿ˜€

Happy Birthday!
xoxo
Kathleen
Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner recently posted..FAQ!

35 whitney @ whitney's blogtastic blog February 26, 2011 at 11:30 am

Pack a suitcase like you are going out of town for a week. Then pack everything else in your house ready to move. Then take yourself to your parent’s house for the last few days of your lease. You won’t have to worry about not having something because your parents will have it.
whitney @ whitney’s blogtastic blog recently posted..This Post Is About Teaching

36 Sarah February 26, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Meghann,
Do you like Chipotle? If so here is a link for a buy 1 get one free burrito, taco, burrito bowl, etc. You and Derek could have a cheap date night or you could eat one and save the other for later since you are busy moving. Here is the link all you have to do is watch a short commercial on Facebook.

37 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 26, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I am so dreading moving eventually! I haven’t moved since I was 5, so I have no tips ๐Ÿ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..It Wasnโ€™t a PRโ€ฆ

38 Alaina February 26, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Whatever food you have left, pack that last. I know that much. I’m in the midst of moving and I have been packing like a maniac for the past 2 weeks. I packed all of my plates, bowls, and cups first but left 1 of each out to use. Then I packed books and nick-nack’s that I knew I wouldn’t need.
Alaina recently posted..Vegas Eats

39 Kacy February 26, 2011 at 5:10 pm

That’s the worst part of moving. But it will all be worth it in the end!!!
Kacy recently posted..Figure it out

40 claire (dine and dash) February 26, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I really like your curtains in the background of your living room…where did you get them?

41 Ali @ Ali Runs February 26, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Good luck packing, girl! It is one of my least favorite things to do. But hopefully it’ll go fast and soon you’ll be all settled into your new place. ๐Ÿ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Hair Today- Gone Tomorrow

42 Doc (The Healthy PhD) February 27, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Ugh! I hate moving too! It’s so stressful!

My best advice is to use your car as a storage unit for things you need or might need during the last couple days of packing. I don’t even put those things in boxes. I just get one big box, put it in my back seat and start throwing things in. I lay my clothes across the top, and voila!

Good luck!