Grandma Says Hi!

by Meghann on February 24, 2011

My Grandma gave us all a little scare this afternoon.

She’s fine now, but it was enough of a scare to warrant a trip to the hospital to visit her.

IMAG0509.jpg

Grandma says Hi! πŸ™‚

I’m ashamed to say tonight was the first time I’ve seen my Grandmother since Christmas. Despite the circumstances, it was nice to catch up with her. She asked how my new job was and I spent 20 minutes trying to explain what Social Media is. I’m pretty sure she still doesn’t get it. πŸ™‚

Tonight’s big plans of watching the shuttle launch from my parents’ front yard and making homemade pretzel buns and german sausages with my Dad were put on hold in favor of making sure Grandma was ok. Sometimes – ok, all the time – family comes first.

We did stop at Chick-fil-a on the way home and I had an unpictured Chargrilled & Fruit Salad (my favorite go-to fast food dinner) with a small fry. It was all delicious. πŸ™‚

Before I left Orlando earlier this afternoon I heated up some left over ravioli for lunch with a side of roasted broccoli and carrots.

Plus, Godiva. πŸ˜‰

I’m crashing at my parents’ house tonight and am moments away from breaking into my parents’ freezer for dessert. My Dad always has the best Ice Cream stash and I think I hear a stray Girl Scout Cookie calling my name . πŸ˜‰

Before I go… here’s my public service announcement for the evening – take a minute and call your Grandparents. Even if al you do is explain to them what Social Media is, you’ll be glad you did it.

Good Night Ya’ll!

1 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life February 24, 2011 at 9:09 pm

That’s a great PSA…I really need to get on that. Thanks for the reminder πŸ™‚
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..Butterscotch Blondies with Chocolate Glaze

2 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 24, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Glad to hear she is ok. I will definitely be calling my grandma this weekend. πŸ™‚

3 Emily @ Savory and Savage February 24, 2011 at 9:14 pm

My parents and grandparents are all passed on – but I can tell you from experience – you will never regret spending as much time with them as you possibly can.

I am glad your grandmother is doing better.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Ground buffalo skewers with orange and ginger

4 Kristy @ KristyRuns February 24, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Glad she’s doing well!

I’m driving from Atlanta to Tampa after work tomorrow for my grandma’s 85th birthday party! πŸ™‚
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..To Skirt Or Not To Skirt

5 Jordan February 24, 2011 at 9:20 pm

My grandmother is in a nursing home, and I’m currently in the process of making my Grandmother a calendar with pictures of myself, my sister, and my family. I don’t get to see her often, so I like to make sure she knows I’m thinking about her.

Great PSA! Glad to hear your grandmother is okay!
Jordan recently posted..The Ultimate Comfort Food

6 Ashley February 24, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I’m glad shes okay! I might not call her right now, because well shes probably asleep and I don’t know her phone number, but I will be seeing her soon. πŸ™‚

7 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) February 24, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I don’t have any left to call — but if I did I would! Glad everything’s alright.
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Chobani White Chip Cookies

8 Brittney February 24, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I’m glad your grandma’s ok! You and I both had a scare tonight! My little brother was driving home from school when a school bus hit him! Luckily he’s alright but his car… not so much.

9 Kayla February 24, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I’m glad your grandma is ok! It is so not fun when they pull things like suddenly needing to go to the hospital.

And oh how I wish there was a Chick-fil-a here. yummy
Kayla recently posted..Song of the Week 2-7-11 – 2-11-11

10 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 24, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Glad she’s OK!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..SWOT For Training

11 Dori February 24, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Glad your grandma is OK! My grandma called me last night and asked for my social security number. I think she is planning to steal my identity and wipe my bank account, jet off to Bali where she will sun herself in a bikini, drink pina coladas and then tour Asia under the name Matthew Manela.
Dori recently posted..Mat 57 at Physique 57

12 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 24, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Excellent reminder Meghann! My grandpa is actually chillin’ on the beach right about now very close to you – well, Cocoa Beach to be precise – but I will make a point of calling him when he gets back!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Yay x2

13 Margo February 24, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Very happy to hear your grandmother is okay, and I hope she has a speedy recovery!

14 Ash Bear February 24, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Amen! This inspired my AM post- how to stay in touch with grandparents when we deal with such huge generation gaps! I stayed close to my grandma even 1200 miles away!
Ash Bear recently posted..A Single Lady Evening

15 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 24, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I am so happy to hear your grandma is doing fine!

16 Kristen February 24, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Hope your grandma is doing better! She will be in my prayers! I was just telling someone tonight about my own grandmother who is suffering from cancer, and I realized I haven’t seen her since Christmas either! I’m definitely going to try to make a better effort of going to see her more often… the time with our grandparents is precious, and I believe we shouldn’t waste it!
Kristen recently posted..on this day…

17 Gillian February 24, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Wow, your post really touched me tonight. My favorite grandmother died 3 years ago, and last week was her birthday. I’ve been thinking about her a lot, and how much I wish she were around to spend time with. I’m really glad your grandmother is okay, and I thank you for sharing with us your time with her, as some of us no longer can. Enjoy that time!

18 Fit Chick Britt February 24, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Thanks for that. I keep saying I need to call my grandparents and I never get around to it. I’m going to take this as my sign that I really should. Glad to her your grandma is ok.
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..So you wanna know more about Britt

19 Mac February 24, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Glad to hear your grandma is doing well
Mac recently posted..Cram- Cram- Cram

20 Lauren @Hungry Dancer February 24, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I’m sorry you had a scare with your Grandma, I’m glad she’s okay!!! Family is so important, and it’s really important to tell them you love them whenever you can.
Lauren @Hungry Dancer recently posted..ABC’s of HD

21 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 24, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Aw, I’m glad your grandmother is doing better! Hope everything stays okay πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..It Wasn’t a PR…

22 Becky February 25, 2011 at 12:26 am

It’s sad, I haven’t had any grandparents for several years now. And there was only one that during my lifespan I had the intellectual wherewithall to call.

23 Alaina February 25, 2011 at 12:41 am

I call my Grammy all the time. Especially ever since my Grampy passed away. I love keeping in touch with her. I’m pretty much her only granddaughter. And she’s quick as a whip for 80 years old. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Vegas Eats

24 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] February 25, 2011 at 3:32 am

I miss getting my daily phone calls from my Poppop. He passed away this summer – but I hope my future children will be just as close with my parents!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..how to pack efficiently

25 VeggieGirl February 25, 2011 at 5:39 am

I’m praying that your grandmother continues to do well!
VeggieGirl recently posted..What I Do on a Cold Winter Morning 300th post!

26 Grace February 25, 2011 at 6:09 am

You’re so sweet. My gramma sort of know was social media is, she has a Facebook and frequently calls me to ask when I am going to be updating my blog for the day=) She also calls me to tell me when I have typos on it, lol! I hope your grandma is doing better and enjoy your little stay at home!
Grace recently posted..In the next 30 days…

27 Lauren February 25, 2011 at 6:59 am

So glad grandma is okay!!!! Give her hugs for me! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..House Update!

28 Alyssa February 25, 2011 at 7:35 am

Very scary! Glad she’s ok! I also had a recent scare with my grandma being in the hospital. She lives hundreds of miles away so I am jealous that you are so close – that’s a horrible call to get. My gram frequently refers to that “spacepage” or “spacebook”. Unless Oprah does a special on it, she’s not getting on board with social media.
Alyssa recently posted..Sick running

29 Kara February 25, 2011 at 7:48 am

I’m glad that your grandmother is ok! Great PSA, I would do it if I could!
Kara recently posted..Rest day shenanigans

30 Hope February 25, 2011 at 8:26 am

I’m glad that your grandmother is okay! πŸ™‚ I am sad that I don’t have any of my grandparents still alive. I often wish I could turn back time and I totally would have spent more time with them. I’m sad that they didn’t get to see me become an adult. One good thing is that my boyfriend has one set of his grandparents left so I pretty much adopted them as mine. πŸ™‚ That makes me happy.
Hope recently posted..Missed Memo &amp New Coffee Machine…

31 Caitlin February 25, 2011 at 8:40 am

gld your grandma is okay!

32 Victoria February 25, 2011 at 8:59 am

I was fortunate enough to have my Grandma live with my family when I was a child. My Grammie was so precious to me. Glad you had an opportunity to visit – make sure to take those every chance you get!
Victoria recently posted..A1A Half Marathon Race Recap Part 2

33 Beth @ DiningAndDishing February 25, 2011 at 9:00 am

A great reminder Meghann! My 2 grandmas live in England so I hardly ever get to see them or speak to them. But it is such a nice treat when we do get to spend time. I really treasure them!
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..Pancake Photo Shoot!

34 Kiran February 25, 2011 at 9:43 am

Glad to know Grandma is doing ok πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..So Fresh!

35 Mia February 25, 2011 at 9:52 am

awww, my grandparents have all passed away, but I think it’s great that you are spending time with yours – I wish I had done more of that when mine were still around.

36 Kacy February 25, 2011 at 10:55 am

So glad she’s okay!

37 Ali @ Ali Runs February 25, 2011 at 10:57 am

I’m so glad you’re grandma is okay! You’re right, family should always come first! It’s a great thing to remember!! I’m having lunch with my grandma today and I can’t wait!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Hair Today- Gone Tomorrow

38 Maryann (The Balanced Bean) February 25, 2011 at 7:01 pm

My parents always have the BEST ice cream stash! It’s dangerous. All of my grandparents have already passed away πŸ™
Maryann (The Balanced Bean) recently posted..Healthy Breakfast Taco