Ben Tries Yoga

by Meghann on February 23, 2011

We tried to warn him, but I’m pretty sure Ben had no idea what he was getting himself into this afternoon. My poor little brother – so naive, so young!

IMG_4769.jpg

Truth is, Kelly and I have been dying to take our little brother to hot yoga for a while. Ben is the ultimate gym junkie – he goes to the gym everyday, he lifts weights, he downs protein shakes like they’re milkshakes, etc. – so we were curious to see how he would handle an intense hot yoga practice.

Looks like tonight we finally got our answer.

To be fair, tonight’s class was a little advanced, so poor Ben did struggle figuring out what leg or hand went where at what time. He did amazing though and really held his own. He took breaks when needed and chugged water along the way. The best part of class was when I heard him uttering under his breath ‘this is tough.’ No one ever said hot yoga was easy. πŸ™‚

IMG_4771.jpg

Let’s just say at the end he left a sweaty, determined mess. But, I’m pretty sure he’ll be back. They always come back. πŸ™‚

Before yoga I spent the afternoon working at Starbucks.

It was HOT outside today. Looks like Iced Un-Sweetened Passion Fruit Teas are coming back into season. πŸ™‚

IMG_4766.jpg

I’m a tea-latte girl during the winter and an iced passion fruit tea girl in the summer. πŸ™‚

I brought an oatmeal bar to snack on before class.

While Ben was finding his way in his own yoga practice this evening, I found myself excelling in my own. Tonight’s yoga was probably the best practice I’ve ever had. I set my intention at the beginning of class on giving my all to every pose. I stuck with that intention and it felt like my body knew exactly what to do and when to do it. It was a truly amazing experience. πŸ™‚

After class I had the urge to stop for something quick and easy to eat on the way home, but decided to stick with my guns and wait it out for the frozen meal I had mentally prepped myself for before class.

The Kashi Mayan Harvest Bake was on sale at Publix for next to nothing a few weeks ago, but it hasn’t budged from my freezer since then. I’ve had the Mayan Harvest Bake before and knew it was good, I was just waiting out the right time to have it. I guess the week before a big move classifies as the right time. πŸ™‚

Why are frozen meals never as pretty as they appear on the box? It makes me sad.

The spinach, blue cheese, pecans, and cornbread did perk up tonight’s rendition at least. πŸ˜‰

The extra goodies bulked up the frozen meal and added a different lay of saltiness and crunch. The Mayan Harvest Bake really is my favorite frozen meal. The unique flavor combination is truly what sets it apart. I mean, what other frozen meals out there pair quiona, plantains, and sweet potatoes?

I made a tiny ice cream cone with Take the Cake Ice Cream and a Godiva Chocolate for dessert.

Now, i’m catching up on the DVR. 90210 is calling my name. πŸ™‚

Good Night!

1 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 23, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I need to try hot yoga!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..7 Facts

2 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 23, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I am addicted to unsweetened passion fruit iced teas because of you! So refreshing!

I’ve found a great alternative during the cooler months: Trader Joe’s sells a Pomegranate White Tea (tea bags) that is the hot version of the iced tea from Starbucks. So good!

3 Meghann February 24, 2011 at 9:30 am

I’m an odd one – I only enjoy fruity teas when they’re iced. I wonder how the Pomegrante White Tea would taste if you added ice. πŸ˜‰

4 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 24, 2011 at 9:39 am

Me too! I only like fruity teas iced. Much better than hot and the perfect drink during summer. I think the Pomegrante white tea would be great iced.
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..How is WordPresscom made

5 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 24, 2011 at 9:41 am

Totally random question for the new blogger – how come it says that I recently posted “how is wordpresscom made” – that isn’t right and isn’t my blog. Any ideas???
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..How is WordPresscom made

6 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 23, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I really want to try yoga! πŸ™‚ I think it would be great as a non-running day activity!

7 Tropical Eats February 23, 2011 at 11:07 pm

oh man he’s gonna get some heat from his guy friends for going to yoga im sure haha. Mad props to him!

Yoga is really tough.. I need to get back into it!
Tropical Eats recently posted..Social Media Pet Peeves

8 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston February 23, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I love 90210 too Meghann! I hate that it takes 4 days for the new episode to go up on the website though!
Katie @ Healthy Heddleston recently posted..Recipes- Recipes and Recipes Ohh My!

9 Amanda @ Eating Up February 23, 2011 at 11:17 pm

That’s my favorite frozen meal too!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..Baked Brownies

10 Ellie @ The Mommyist February 23, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Seems like guys always underestimate how challenging yoga is. Good for him stepping out of his comfort zone.
Ellie @ The Mommyist recently posted..Nearly Nilla Wafers

11 Ashley February 23, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I’ve had that frozen meal before too! I loved it, but the plaintains tasted a bit to much like bananas for my liking. Congrats to you and Ben on a successful practice tonight! I love the passion fruit tea lemonades but yours is probably healthier. πŸ˜€

12 Jess@atasteofconfidence February 23, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Kudos to Ben for trying it! I like when boys admit that yoga and pilates, etc are tough!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..man candy

13 Valerie from Love and Running February 23, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Don’t you just love bringing your brother along to try new things πŸ™‚

I brought my brother to hot yoga with me a few months ago and it was awesome πŸ™‚ He is a major gym junkie, lifts weights, eats healthy, drinks protein shakes, can eat protein like nobodys business, so we he told me “I totally could do your yoga” I had to bring him!!

He held is own also, I think the best part was “You are so tiny, how do you do all of this?!?! This stuff is intense, this is not yoga this is Navy Seals Yoga” Now when people comment on yoga being boring, he always chimes in and tells people we do “Navy seal yoga” πŸ™‚
Valerie from Love and Running recently posted..Sooo Sorry…

14 Meghann February 24, 2011 at 9:33 am

‘Navy Seals Yoga’ <-- love it!

15 Katy February 24, 2011 at 12:36 am

I’m still trying to get my guy friends to try bikram! I think they would love it and I want to see them struggle! haha

16 Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge February 24, 2011 at 12:39 am

I need to find a gym that offers hot yoga! It’s on my goal list for 2011. πŸ˜‰
Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge recently posted..Vegas Eats

17 Marina February 24, 2011 at 1:40 am

I like when men try yoga, and realize it’s tough! Glad your little brother enjoyed it πŸ™‚
Marina recently posted..restoration- complete

18 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] February 24, 2011 at 3:42 am

Another hot yoga addict πŸ™‚ Once you start you can’t stop!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..how to pack efficiently

19 sarah (sarah learns) February 24, 2011 at 4:43 am

wow, you are really good at making your ice cream last! i feel like you’ve been snacking on that take the cake ice cream for weeks! it does NOT last that long in my freezer. πŸ™‚
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..getting busy in the kitchen!

20 Meghann February 24, 2011 at 9:37 am

It only lasts because it’s just me and I have a 1/2 cup serving at a time. πŸ™‚

21 Kara February 24, 2011 at 6:48 am

My husband came to one yoga class with me once. Never again πŸ™‚ He’s so stiff and inflexible he can barely touch his knees, so I thought it would help, but he wasn’t a fan (I think it wasn’t “manly” enough for him, lol)

Kudos to your brother for toughing it out!
Kara recently posted..My baby is a Gerber junkie

22 Lauren February 24, 2011 at 6:53 am

That kashi meal is my favorite. I always make them more appealing by plating them and adding some special touches. It makes me feel better about eating dinner from a box.
Lauren recently posted..Lame Lunch but a Delightful DInner

23 Kelly February 24, 2011 at 7:35 am

Kashi definitely makes the best frozen meals! I don’t think I’ve tried that one, but it looks really good.
Kelly recently posted..Dinner for one

24 katie February 24, 2011 at 8:20 am

u guys are the little yoginis! love it! So glad Ben went and tried it with you girls!

Yeah your ice cream cone is pretty special ; ) love that you threw a piece of chocolate on top !

xoxo <3

25 Hope February 24, 2011 at 8:20 am

I love Starbucks unsweetened iced Passion Tea! It’s so good! Plus I love the color of it πŸ™‚ That Kashi meal looks great! I like their pizza. I should try one of their meals. Yum!
Hope recently posted..Missed Memo &amp New Coffee Machine…

26 megan @ blackberries for jam February 24, 2011 at 8:32 am

I really need to find that ice cream!
megan @ blackberries for jam recently posted..Better than Bettys Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting

27 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 24, 2011 at 8:45 am

I agree! The frozen meals never look like they do on the box! πŸ˜€
Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner recently posted..Ask Me ANYTHING

28 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 24, 2011 at 9:02 am

I LOVE your mini ice cream cone – so cute! Also, I am totally going to have to try iced passion fruit tea – although I think I will wait until summer here in MN! πŸ™‚

29 rebecca lustig February 24, 2011 at 9:52 am

seriously addicted to the passion iced tea. It’s just so so good. Ahh making me crave summertime!

30 Katie February 24, 2011 at 9:54 am

So this is a bit random–but–I was reading Carrots’n’Cake and her post about visiting her grandma. Mal’s sister’s boyfriend, Coleman, resembles your brother, Ben, to me. When I first saw the picture I though it was Ben and was a bit confused about why he was there—anyway—random thought for the day πŸ™‚

31 Lauren February 24, 2011 at 10:14 am

My younger sister is the same way – she’s in great shape from rowing crow and intense practices, but she has the attitude that yoga is easy. I’m trying to convince her to come to core power yoga with me tomorrow when she visits!
Lauren recently posted..Decisions- Decisions

32 Ali @ Ali Runs February 24, 2011 at 10:40 am

I have never tried Starbucks iced tea. I tend to find a drink I like and stick with it. I love the ice caramel machiato. And go Ben!! That is awesome that he came with you guys. I definitely want to try yoga asap.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Hair Today- Gone Tomorrow

33 Kacy February 24, 2011 at 11:02 am

I love it when boys do yoga, I think it makes men out of them πŸ™‚
Kacy recently posted..A letter to my lost self

34 kristen February 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Anyone who thinks yoga is easy has clearly never tried it. Even the “gentle” and “quiet” yoga is hard because at that point, the biggest challenge is not to let your mind wander to other things…and that’s part of the practice.

Glad your brother gave it a shot!
kristen recently posted..test anxiety

35 Smash February 24, 2011 at 12:26 pm

That is my favorite summery Starbucks drink, too!

36 Tiffany (Stuffed with Fluff) February 24, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Where do you find that ice cream? It’s been months since I’ve seen it in any San Diego grocery store =(

37 Sherry S February 24, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I notice Ben is shirtless again lol.

38 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 24, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Go little brother!!! I’m sure he did great!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..campfire baked beans

39 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy February 24, 2011 at 5:29 pm