Cake Batter Oats

by Meghann on February 21, 2011

Cake Batter Ice Cream? My favorite!

Cake Batter Pancakes? A new love!

Cake Batter Oats? Don’t mind if I do. πŸ˜‰

Yesterday I snuck a ‘spoonful of cake mix’ into my morning bowl of oats. A few noticed – a few didn’t – but I thought it would be fun to elaborate this morning.

IMG_7921.jpg

The cake mix was leftover from my birthday pancakes the other week (still drooling over those!). The birthday pancakes really only take on the birthday cake flavor after a generous amount of cake mix is added to the batter and this got me thinking… would the same concept work with a bowl of hot oats? Well, there’s only one way to find out.

I added two tiny spoonfuls to my traditional oats mix of 1/3 cup rolled oats, 1/3 cup almond milk, 1/3 cup water, chia seeds, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.

The oats were finished off with a dollop of peanut butter, strawberries, blueberries, and Kashi Go Lean Crisp.

The cake batter flavor was VERY evident when I tried a spoonful straight out of the pot (before the toppings were added), but once the berried, peanut butter, and cereal was thrown in the mix, the cake batter flavor was lost. It was still delicious, but if you’re looking for that die hard cake batter flavor I would cut back on the toppings a smidge. πŸ™‚

Social Fresh

A few weeks ago I registered to volunteer for a Social Media conference in Tampa called Social Fresh.

logo-socialfresh.png

A little tip: Social Media conferences can be $$, but in most cases you can register to volunteer for the event and earn free admission in the process. I’ll be volunteering all day tomorrow, but today I’ll be attending as a regular ole registrant for the heavy Facebook portion of the event.

I’m really excited to learn more about Facebook pages because that’s where I tend to be the least experienced with. By the way…. have you liked Meals and Miles on Facebook yet? πŸ˜‰

It should be a fun next couple of days of Social Media overload. I have my iPad, Droid, and LapTop fully charged as well as a handful of business cards ready to be distributed.

Here goes nothing!

1 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 21, 2011 at 8:22 am

I love this idea. I want to try it with oat bran, since it’s already got such a creamy cake-batter consistency!

2 Ali @ Ali on the Run February 21, 2011 at 8:25 am

Have you ever posted an image of what your business cards look like? I’d love to see one.
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..Ali On The Rest

3 Meghann February 21, 2011 at 8:30 am

There’s a photo at the bottom of this post http://mealsandmiles.com/2010/11/05/san-francisco-here-i-come/ πŸ™‚

4 Stacy @ Every Little Thing February 21, 2011 at 8:25 am

Wow that should be interesting! Can’t wait to hear about it. I have mixed feelings regarding Facebook pages too. I’m not sure it’s doing anything for me, but then sometimes I see super successful pages! So I dunno. Looking forward to any info though!
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..EVOL Is Over- So Catch Up With ELT!

5 Erika @ FoodFitnessFun February 21, 2011 at 8:27 am

Mmmmm…I’m definitely going to give this a try. I bet a cake batter smoothie would be good too! πŸ™‚
Erika @ FoodFitnessFun recently posted..Return Of The Mango Bread

6 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 21, 2011 at 8:28 am

Have fun at the conference!!! πŸ™‚ I’m sure you’ll learn a lot and share. πŸ˜‰

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 21, 2011 at 8:33 am

Oooh the cake batter idea is genius! I haven’t been to a social media conference before but the one you’re going to sounds really interesting! I have however, volunteered at a few conferences before, and I agree that sometimes that’s the best way to get in on the cheap! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Yay x2

8 Julie @ Shining From Within February 21, 2011 at 8:34 am

Ahhh! I would’ve never thought to add cake mix to my oats! Great idea πŸ™‚

9 Amy @ ChicFitness February 21, 2011 at 8:37 am

Yum!
This makes me want to experiment with brownie mix…

10 kristy @ kristyruns.com February 21, 2011 at 8:38 am

You and your cake batter! πŸ™‚ I guess I’m the same with nut butter though. Goes in/on everything!
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Picky Bar Giveaway!

11 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food February 21, 2011 at 8:58 am

What a great idea to add the cake batter! I can’t wait to try that out πŸ™‚

Have fun at the conference! I attempted to go through work since I’m starting to do alot more social media with them but it didn’t quite work out…darn!
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Pink BBQ

12 movesnmunchies February 21, 2011 at 9:00 am

oh my gosh no you didnt! that is so so smart!!! why have i never done that before- you are too clever!
movesnmunchies recently posted..The Big Carb Debate…

13 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen February 21, 2011 at 9:01 am

As cake batter ice cream and fro yo is my favorite…I’m sure this might be my new favorite type of oats! I wonder if Red Velvet would work? πŸ™‚
Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen recently posted..Move Over Diana Ross

14 Carolyn @ lovinlosing February 21, 2011 at 9:16 am

Wow, an iPad, a Droid AND a laptop! And I thought I was a techno geek! πŸ˜‰
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..Breakfast- Lunch- and Dinner

15 Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge February 21, 2011 at 9:26 am

That bowl does look delicious though!! Have a fun time at the conference! I’m just getting into my facebook page as well. πŸ™‚
Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge recently posted..Vegas Eats

16 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life February 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

what a clever idea! i’m very impressed. yum.
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..Boulder in Photos

17 Fit Chick Britt February 21, 2011 at 9:35 am

Meghann I love all the food you make! It’s so creative and looks delicous. You should really keep a recipe or food tab on your blog page to make some of your creations easier to find! I always make a note to myself I’m going to make something of yours, but I forget to write it down. πŸ™‚

18 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 21, 2011 at 9:54 am

I love the cake batter idea — I still need to make the pancakes though!

Have fun at that conference — sounds interesting!
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..February Goals Update

19 Kara February 21, 2011 at 10:06 am

I like the idea of just eating a bowl of cake batter for breakfast and calling it a day πŸ™‚ But I guess your way is healthier!
Kara recently posted..A case of the Mondays

20 Beth @ DiningAndDishing February 21, 2011 at 10:08 am

Loving all these cake batter recipes in blog land lately! Coldstone’s cake batter ice cream is my fave ever, so all of these sound like must trys very sooN!
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..The Perfect Everything

21 Courtney February 21, 2011 at 10:19 am

the conference sounds super fun! If you ever need help with customizing your facebook page (thats my line of work in politics) I’d be happy to show you some things!
Courtney recently posted..Love-Hate Running

22 Ashley February 21, 2011 at 10:21 am

I<3Cakebatter. The conference sounds really fun and that's such a great idea to volunteer to save money and still be a part of it.

23 Chloe @ 321delish February 21, 2011 at 10:52 am

Sometimes I feel like its a faux pas to grab the boxed cake mix off the shelf at the grocery store considering I pride myself on making homemade “real ingredient” baked goods…but then one bite and I have no regrets. Your bday pancakes are on my “must make” list!

24 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 21, 2011 at 11:32 am

I think it would be fun to volunteer at an event like that too! It’d be a bonus to get in free. You’ll have to share what you learn with us πŸ™‚

25 Sana February 21, 2011 at 11:52 am

Nice! Have fun at the event and make lots of connections!

26 katie February 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Cake batter oats?! Yummy!!! I still have to say I would love the pancakes more! Im going to make the pancakes for my sons birthday breakfast next month ; )

Have fun today and good luck! <3 xoxo
katie recently posted..Joseph Decuis Dinner Date

27 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Have fun! πŸ™‚ YES to cake batter in my oats! πŸ™‚ YAY! πŸ™‚
Kathleen @ Kat’s Health Corner recently posted..Ask Me ANYTHING

28 Kristin @ FoodFash February 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I hope they fill you in on how one would change the name of their Facebook page! All of my searches resulted in “not possible”…
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Supermarket Sweep

29 kate February 21, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Have fun at the conference! Sounds like a blast.
kate recently posted..Winner Pose

30 Kacy February 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Okay, I need to buy some cake mix. Sounds amazing!
Kacy recently posted..A letter to my lost self

31 Emily @ Savory and Savage February 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Business cards… I should get those but I need to design a header/logo first!!

Have fun at the conference!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..A different kind of morning

32 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 21, 2011 at 2:25 pm

That sounds so good! I need to get some cake mix to try this πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..It Wasn’t a PR…

33 Lauren February 21, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Now this is a genius idea!
Lauren recently posted..Trader Joes and IKEA- The Best Places on Earth

34 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) February 21, 2011 at 8:10 pm

What a creative idea, sounds incredibly delicious
Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..My Fantastic Foodie Friends

35 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie February 23, 2011 at 6:37 am

Obsessed with cake batter and definitely trying this πŸ™‚