more ยป" />

Nacho Salad

by Meghann on February 18, 2011

I made a new discovery today.

Working at this table…

is MUCH more productive than working at this one.

No tempting TV and a proper chair might be key here. Just sayin’. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Another discovery.

Want to know how to spice up a boring salad? Add some blue chips can call it a Nacho Salad.

Now, say Nacho Salad out loud three times. See. Isn’t that fun? ๐Ÿ˜‰

The Nachos began like this

Blue corn chips topped with pinto beans, onion, and swiss cheese then baked at 400 for 5 minutes.

The chips were added to a bowl of spinach and finished with salsa, grape tomatoes, plain yogurt, fresh cilantro, jalapenos, and olives.

No boring salad here. This bowl was full of flavor, texture, and spice.

I dug into my Valentine’s Day box of Godiva Chocolates for one of the BEST dark chocolate truffles I’ve ever had.

My fridge is almost out of veggies, but I still have a pantry full of dried grains, lentils, oats, canned beans, etc. that I would love to whittle down before I move.

Any recipe recommendations?

1 Ali @ Ali on the Run February 18, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Great idea with the chips! I NEVER eat salad because I find it so boring (I know, I know, you can make it exciting โ€”ย I’ve been told), but I really love the idea of adding chips to it. Thanks for sharing!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..You Made Me Do It

2 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin February 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Do you have quinoa? I have a recipe for these amazing quinoa burgers that are super easy and just call for a few ingredients that you probably already have:
Beth @ Beth’s Journey to Thin recently posted..Time for a Chobani Giveaway

3 Emily @ Savory and Savage February 18, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Hmm, recipes….

You could always make baked beans – then you could have that over any of the grains you have.

Of course, since I grew up in Massachusetts – we often had baked beans over toast ๐Ÿ™‚
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Rain fruit

4 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food February 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Are those garden of eatin chips? I LOVE those!

Allrecipes.com has a really good Tomato Lentil Stew ๐Ÿ™‚
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Food Fact Friday- Chipitos

5 greenbean February 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm

oh! i made some curried lentils with raisins this week and it was awesome!

cook lentils. sautee onions in some oil. add lentils, coriander, cumin, curry, tumeric, salt, cayenne, and raisins to the onions. add a little water to bring it together or if it’s looking dry. finish with a little butter or earth balance to enhance the sauce. really good!

6 michelle February 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm

you seriously need to make a cookbook or something. your ideas look so so so good all the time
michelle recently posted..6 miles and a movie date

7 michelle February 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm

michelle recently posted..6 miles and a movie date

8 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Hehe I’m never productive working in front of the TV either! You could use the beans on salads like that one… and a little salsa maybe?
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Who needs boysโ€ฆ

9 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Use the canned beans on salads! ๐Ÿ˜€ I love doing that to up my protein! ๐Ÿ˜€

10 Sarah for Real February 18, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I think Maddie appreciates you not stealing her chair!

You could try my Lentil Shepard’s Pie? You can use fresh or frozen veggies and lentils of course. http://wp.me/pRf7R-Td

11 sarah (sarah learns) February 18, 2011 at 2:00 pm

make bean burgers! you can eat it on a bed of spinach OR rice/quinoa/millet/whatever grain you have.
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..beer at noonโ€ฆ

12 Kelly February 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Haha yeah, I always work from my couch. Not very productive.
Kelly recently posted..Lover- Lover

13 Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge February 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I love salads that are cruncy, savory, spicy and anything with cilantro is delicious in my book!
Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge recently posted..Vegas Eats

14 sana February 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I never get to enjoy nachos since we usually get it as an appetizer!
sana recently posted..The Walking Dead

15 Rae February 18, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Lentils and brown rice are good…I usuall add some frozen broc to it…protein, grean and veggie bowl and super easy!
Rae recently posted..Heading for the hills

16 Fit Chick Britt February 18, 2011 at 2:22 pm

YUM!! I’m definitely making this at home!
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..The Hated Bun

17 Hope February 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I love that nacho salad! So good. I love any Mexican inspired meals! ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope recently posted..Happy Valentineโ€™s Day!โ€ฆ

18 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun February 18, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I have to sit at the kitchen table to be productive as well. Otherwise nothing will happen.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..A Treat Of A Day

19 emily February 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm

If you have oats and beans I suggest making veggie burgers. I made a great recipe recently with eggplant.
emily recently posted..Slipping into Grumpsville

20 Kim @ Imperfectly Perfect February 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Yummy lookin’ salad. Thanks for sharing!

Wouldn’t you know I have an office and rarely use it to get my stuff done? Usually, I sit on my couch with my laptop situated on my legs and the tv on in the background. I’d definitely get more accomplished if I sat at my desk.

Happy Friday! ๐Ÿ™‚
Kim @ Imperfectly Perfect recently posted..Doctorโ€™s Diagnosis

21 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 18, 2011 at 2:38 pm

That nacho salad looks great – especially the jalapenos!

22 Jill E. February 18, 2011 at 2:42 pm

that salad looks so good. great idea to add a little crunch and salt!
Jill E. recently posted..Last Nights Dinner

23 Melissa February 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I can totally relate. I feel like I have my work schedule be an excuse for poor eating and exercise habits, and have felt pretty crappy about myself lately. I need a kick in the booty.

The gym looks quite pretty and bright!

Also, Disney Food Blog posted about Dole Whip today! ๐Ÿ™‚
Melissa recently posted..Getting Motivated To Run

24 Cynthia (Itallchanges) February 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm

If you still have your condiments you can make fabulous lentil sloppy joes. Dijon, ketchup, maple and some vegie stock with veggie. Som many. At describes my pantry.

25 Christine February 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I have this completely unfounded belief that blue chips are healthier. Kind of like how I tell myself eating at Chipotle is healthier… Nonetheless, your lunch is lookin good!
Christine recently posted..Raise Your Hand if Youre Not Surprised

26 Kacy February 18, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Haha, even my “dining room” table is within view of the TV. Working from home is kind of hopeless for me.
Kacy recently posted..A Healthy Habit Journey- Post 4 from the SIL

27 Ashley February 18, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I would say soup, but you already put a ban on it. Good luck with it, I know you’ll get creative…BTW ‘What’s a salad that doesn’t belong to you? Nacho Salad.’ Cheesy yes, but that’s what came to mind in this post.

28 Doc (The Healthy PhD) February 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm

My most productive work from home day was when my furnace was out and I was confined to the kitchen table with a space heater while the guys tore apart my furnace in the living room. I worked for 9 hours straight!

I really like to do tabbouleh-style salads with quinoa or couscous and canned beans. Add some veggies, spices, and acid and you’re set!
Doc (The Healthy PhD) recently posted..An Extra Post for an Extra Important Cause

29 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 18, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Yum on that salad! It looks so so good!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..up and at โ€˜em

30 Clare @ Fitting It All In February 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm

My favorite recipe lately is Diana’s (chiclife) Tangy Tamari Tempeh Noodles. And it serves one!

31 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm

That nacho salad looks SO GOOD!

Highly recommend Mama Pea’s Sloppy Josephine’s. I made them the other day and they were fabulousssssss http://www.j3nn.net/2011/02/14/napoleon-and-josephine/
J3nn (Jenn’s Menu and Lifestyle Blog) recently posted..Cheezy Quinoa

32 jess @ flying on jess fuel February 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm

those tomatoes look a lot like marachino cherries in some of the pics! i had to do a serious double take. i know you put some pretty weird things in salads, but that would have just been over the top ๐Ÿ˜‰
jess @ flying on jess fuel recently posted..Nickโ€™s Belgian Ale Pot Roast

33 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 18, 2011 at 4:10 pm

lentils and canned beans

i also have a few different cheezy veggie bakes that use canned beans, nooch, salsa, beans, whatever you have on hand and it all works. All in my recipes tab under either roasted/baked side & veggies or Entrees.
(i dont want to link drop more than that one, sorry! but i am the queen of cupboard cleanout lately, too!)
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Cookbook &amp Book Reviews

34 Nacho Lindsay February 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Nacho Lindsay approves of this lunch! ๐Ÿ™‚
Nacho Lindsay recently posted..Front Street Brewery- Davenport- IA

35 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy February 18, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Oats – make breakfast bars! Like chewy granola bars (you could probably combine the oats with some jelly or other stuff in your fridge)

Canned beans – a 3-bean salad is always good and keeps for a while in the fridge.

Lentils/grains – a big casserole!

Now you got me craving carbs ๐Ÿ™‚
Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy recently posted..Race Recap โ€“ Lady Track Shack 5K

36 Lindsey (HIP LIP) February 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I posted about this site earlier this week but it’s a life saver when you want to make something from ingredients you already have on hand. Try it out: http://www.myfridgefood.com
Lindsey (HIP LIP) recently posted..New York Fashion Week &amp Interweb Cruising

37 Maryann (The Balanced Bean) February 18, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Yumm nacho salad looks and sounds delicious!
Maryann (The Balanced Bean) recently posted..So Sleepy

38 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 18, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Great meal!

Do you have chickpeas? I recommend channa masla ๐Ÿ˜‰
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Spring Cleaning

39 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 18, 2011 at 6:29 pm

That’s such a great idea… Mmmmm love chips on salad!

You could make some lentil burgers, those are always yummy ๐Ÿ™‚

40 Fallon February 18, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Salad looks delicious!!!
Fallon recently posted..Chicken Sorrentino Penne

41 Melissa @ TryingToHeal February 18, 2011 at 8:21 pm

snobby joes for the lentils! tacos/enchiladas for the beans!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..One Of Thoseโ€ฆ

42 Tara February 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Your desserts always look so little but good ๐Ÿ™‚ Do you usually snack after your supper or is that for the day?

43 Tracy @ Commit To Fit February 18, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I hear you about productiveness. I totally need to get a proper chair and desk to work at, much better for your back too!
Tracy @ Commit To Fit recently posted..Move of the Month- Plank Pose

44 BroccoliHut February 18, 2011 at 10:14 pm

If there are any canned chickpeas in your collection, you should def make hummus!
Pictures of Maddie never fail to make me smile:)
BroccoliHut recently posted..Joy in Numbers

45 Loster Girl February 18, 2011 at 11:40 pm

mmm, Mexican! awesome idea, looks sooo good