A Feast for 17

by Meghann on February 12, 2011

How do you feed a crowd of 17?

First you designate a ‘Grocery Crew’ who are in charge of planning the menu and gathering the goods.

IMG_4511.JPG IMG_4512.JPG

Bo and Geoff represented the men.

While Melissa and I represented the women of the house.

We were in an out of the grocery store in a little less than an hour and planned a simple menu that we hoped would be both easy to prepare and could please a large crowd of diverse palates.

• Ceasar Salad with Homemade Dressing
  • Shrimp Pasta Primervara
  • Baked Ziti with Sausage
  • Farfalle with Creamy Wild Mushroom Sauce
  • Roasted Vegetables <—- the dish I was in charge of ;)
  • Garlic Bread

17 is a big number to feed, but luckily with 17 hands to help in the kitchen, cooking for 17 isn’t as big of a deal as one might think. ;)

IMG_7152.JPG IMG_7153.JPG

THe wine was flowing and a plate of crackers and cheeses were set out for everyone to nibble on as the food was prepared.

IMG_7150.jpg IMG_7156.JPG

I’d like to think roasted veggies is my specialty. This HUGE bowl contained 1 butternut squash, 5 pound of brussel sprouts, 3 bell peppers, 1 red onion, and 1 head of cauliflower.

Seasoned with EVOO, oregano, basil, garlic, and S&P.

IMG_7176.JPG IMG_7177.JPG IMG_7179.JPG

IMG_7181.JPG IMG_7182.JPG IMG_7183.JPG

Roasted at 420 for 40ish minutes

IMG_7195.JPG IMG_7196.JPG IMG_7198.JPG

Tina and Murphy joined us just as the food was arriving.

Food’s ready!

IMG_7219.JPG IMG_7220.JPG IMG_7221.JPG

IMG_7227.JPG IMG_7234.JPG IMG_7209.JPG

Dig in!

My plate had a little taste of everything. I LOVED the sausage in the baked ziti and went pack to pick out a few pieces.

Just half of our gang. I missed grabbing a photo of teh second set. :(

We had a birthday girl in the house!

Happy Birthday Theodora!

We finished the evening with a telephone style paper game. Such a blast. :)

We have another hard core day of skiing ahead of us.

It’s snowing!!! :)

1 Kristy @ KristyRuns February 12, 2011 at 8:50 am

Food for 17 people?!?! Dang. Looks like y’all pulled it off without a hitch! Enjoy the snow! :)
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Couple’s Yoga

2 Nicole @ Making Good Choices February 12, 2011 at 8:57 am

Looks like you had a delicious dinner! Have fun!
Nicole @ Making Good Choices recently posted..Fridays and A Socca Revisit

3 Allison @ OneWhiteTulip February 12, 2011 at 9:13 am

mm…now I’m craving some roasted veggies. I wish I had 17 people to go to the grocery store for me!

be warm in the snow!
Allison @ OneWhiteTulip recently posted..Why is eating breakfast so hard

4 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 12, 2011 at 9:18 am

Looks like a delicious dinner!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Tropical Traditions Canadian Raw Honey Giveaway Winner

5 Hope February 12, 2011 at 9:31 am

Wow! That looks like a great dinner! It must be fun cooking for 17 people! What a fun night!!! :)
Hope recently posted..Philly Auto Show- Baby Kyleigh &amp The Rest of the Weekend…

6 Amanda @ Eating Up February 12, 2011 at 9:41 am

I know the whole feed a bunch of people thing well. It looks like you guys did a great job!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..A Sweet Surprise

7 Erika @ FoodFitnessFun February 12, 2011 at 9:59 am

Whoa that’s a lot of people! You did a great job shopping and preparing everything – the food looks delicious! :-)

8 rebecca lustig February 12, 2011 at 10:10 am

looks like SO much fun!! i hope to do something like that with my college crew sometime!

9 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) February 12, 2011 at 10:20 am

That looks like so much fun! And the house is beautiful!!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Could Not Live Without Them

10 Melissa @ For the Love of Health February 12, 2011 at 10:33 am

That is A LOT of food! LOL Looks so delicious!
It truly looks like you guys are having an amazing time!

11 Kacy February 12, 2011 at 10:34 am

That’s awesome! I would love to vacation with such a large group it sounds so cozy and fun!
Kacy recently posted..A Healthy Habit Journey- Post 3 from the SIL

12 Erica February 12, 2011 at 10:40 am

Wow! How fun!!! The food looks great. Y’all did an amazing job. It is not easy to feed a crowd. Love that picture of Tina and Murphy- too cute. Enjoy the rest of your trip

13 Ann February 12, 2011 at 11:05 am

I’m so impressed with all the dishes y’all made! I’m always in charge of roasting the vegetables too. I don’t eat meat, so when we go to my Grandmother’s house for holidays, I make sure to roast lots of butternut squash, onion, sweet potato, brussel sprouts, etc. so I can have those if there’s a lack of veggie-friendly dishes available.
Ann recently posted..The Mississippi Innocence Project

14 Semisweet Courtney February 12, 2011 at 11:07 am

How fun! Awww Murphy :)
Semisweet Courtney recently posted..My POTS Diagnosis- Part 1

15 Mac February 12, 2011 at 11:21 am

Wow that is a huge crew to host and feed! Glad it went well… the food all looks fantastic!
Mac recently posted..Creating My Half Marathon Training Plan

16 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 12, 2011 at 11:23 am

Happy Birthday Theodora!

Roasted Vegetables are my favorite! How do you like to roast yours? I just toss them with EVOO and a little salt and pepper. :)
Kathleen @ Kat’s Health Corner recently posted..Almond Joy Pizzert Babies!

17 Alaina February 12, 2011 at 11:44 am

I must be behind on reading my blogs; I didn’t know Tina was in FL! :-P

I love cooking parties. Yours looks like so much fun!
Alaina recently posted..Blue Ribbon &amp BSB

18 Ashley February 12, 2011 at 11:47 am

Is that a table candle on her cake? It looks like such a blast, I can’t imagine cooking for seventeen people, that’s really impressive. Happy Birthday Theodora!

19 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 12, 2011 at 11:58 am

Lots of great food! Yummy! Have fun today!

20 Christine February 12, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I want that kitchen stat.
Christine recently posted..Oops I Did It Again

21 Lindsay February 12, 2011 at 12:28 pm

So funny….I read CarrotsnCake and saw that Tina was going skiing in Vermont and wondered if she was going anywhere you were going and there she is in your pics! Love it! Also…were you playing telestrations?! If so…BEST GAME EVER…my BF introduced it to me and it’s our fave to play with couples! If thats not the game ya’ll are playing…go get it asap it’s a blast!!!

22 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 12, 2011 at 1:15 pm

That looks so fun! I wouldn’t mind having that many hands help with dinner :)
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Hello- February!

23 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 12, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Seriously, how much fun is your little weekend getaway! It looks like you’re having a great time!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..marriage considerations

24 Kara February 12, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Oh, I love those kinds of cakes, especially the corner piece :) I could really go for that now after my 16 mile run this morning!
Kara recently posted..This weeks hard is next weeks easy

25 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm

what a great feast & fun times!

so you had just a “little bit” of veggies, then? haha…

“This HUGE bowl contained 1 butternut squash, 5 pound of brussel sprouts, 3 bell peppers, 1 red onion, and 1 head of cauliflower.”

WOW! i love it! :)