Ski-cation

by Meghann on February 11, 2011

Skiing with family is great, but skiing with friends is flippin’ awesome. πŸ˜‰

This may go down in history as one of my favorite days ever. Seriously. πŸ˜‰

First, putting ski clothes on is probably one of my least favorite parts of skiing.

IMG_4443.JPG IMG_4444.JPG IMG_4452.JPG

Putting on skin tight clothing is no bueno .However, being warm all day is very bueno. πŸ™‚

IMG_4453.JPG IMG_4456.jpg

The mountain was just a quick drive from Ashley’s Aunt’s house. Derek and I rode over with Leslie and her fiance, Charles, and ended up having a blast spending the day with them.

Stratton is a beautiful 8 lift ski resort that was just big enough to give us a little room, but not large enough to prevent us from repeating several trails through out the day.

IMG_4458.jpg IMG_4459.JPG

Out large group split apart from each other, but it was great getting to know Leslie and Charles. They may be my new favorite couple. πŸ™‚

I brought a peppermint Luna Bar for the day and ended up snacking on it through the morning. Great mountain fuel. πŸ™‚

I’ve been spoiled the past 10 years. My family usually skies out west and the lackluster northeastern conditions usually prevents us from any yearning to see the northeast. I had been warned that northeast conditions are much different than out west, but I didn’t want to believe it until I experienced it my self.

Ok, they were all right.

First of all, it was cold. Very cold. Brrr…. Vermont’s mountains get about 10-15 degrees cooler than Colorado, and not only that, the snow is different. This morning we were luck and had the opportunity to enjoy nice groomed trails in ideal condition. This afternoon we didn’t have the sane luck. It was a few degrees colder and icy. Very icy

It was almost too cold for me. I ended up chickening out and headed back into the lodge about an hour earlier than our designated lunch time. We ended up drinking some hot water and putting our stuff together for the remainder of the afternoon.

Eventually everyone came in and were able to toast a successful morning of running with a Vermont classic beer (Long Trail)

IMG_4480.jpg

We all met at the mountain restaurant for lunch. The menu was limited, but I decided I was craving a burger anyways.

Burgers, Beers, and Skiing? What more can a girl ask for? πŸ˜‰

Round 2 in the afternoon was a little more bearable than round one. Maybe it was the beer? πŸ˜‰

IMG_4498.JPG IMG_4499.JPG IMG_4500.JPG

Our group skied out the remainder of the afternoon and headed back home after closing hour.

Post-ski cookies we enjoyed by all in the car.

IMG_4501.JPG IMG_4502.JPG

The end of the ski day was just the beginning of the fun for everyone else. πŸ˜‰

Stay tuned!

1 Dori February 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Fun! Nice cookies. What is the Hamburglar doing there?
Dori recently posted..My Response to the NY Times Article

2 Kristy @ KristyRuns February 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Looks like a blast!…minus the freezing temperatures! πŸ˜‰
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Couple’s Yoga

3 jen @ taste life February 11, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I learned to snowboard in Killington, Vermont, and man, you are so right about the icy conditions! I’ve never even been out west, but I know things are quite different in the Northeast. And I love Long Trail! Great beer.
jen @ taste life recently posted..Consolation Pancake

4 Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) February 11, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Fun! Nice to hear to having such a great time!

5 eliz@thesweetlife February 11, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Looks like so much fun! Glad you’re enjoying it.
eliz@thesweetlife recently posted..The Marginal Cost of Children

6 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 11, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Gorgeous photos! All that snow is so pretty! Looks like you’re having a great time.
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Recipe Snobby Joes

7 Christine February 11, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Those cookies brought me straight back to like third grade. Must add to grocery list πŸ˜‰

8 rebecca lustig February 11, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I would venture to guess that the beer definitely helps, hah

9 Amanda @ Eating Up February 11, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I used to love those cookies growing up!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..A Sweet Surprise

10 Kiran February 11, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Skiing looks so much fun! Gotta try it someday πŸ˜‰
Kiran recently posted..Living Abroad

11 marie [would] February 11, 2011 at 11:39 pm

dude, pot cookies? i want to go on your ski-cation.
marie [would] recently posted..epic fail

12 Ashley February 11, 2011 at 11:53 pm

That looks so fun! pot-ski cookies? haha must be an interesting ski cation

13 Lauren February 12, 2011 at 12:07 am

Hah, you mean Long Trail! Such a great beer…try Long Trail’s Blackbeary wheat out.
Lauren recently posted..It’s OK to…

14 Grace February 12, 2011 at 12:19 am

I’ve only been skiing a few times and actually went snowboarding. I am awful. I zigzag down the mountain because I am terrified of going fast enough to be out of control, I have some major control issues! So I usually end up spending some time in the lodge too so I always bring a book! The next time I go I want to learn how to ski for sure! Looks like you’re having lots of fun! Keep warm=)

15 Tay February 12, 2011 at 12:31 am

teehehe POT ski cookies?? πŸ˜‰
Tay recently posted..Camera Findings

16 Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches February 12, 2011 at 12:34 am

I totally hear you on the east vs. west ski conditions. I went to college up in Maine, but grew up in Colorado…and yeah. I hated the icy “snow” stuff that seemed to dominate all of the trails up at the Maine resorts. There are some thing that are worth being a snob about and Colorado ski powder is one of them. Lol…Looks like you’re having so much fun though! πŸ™‚ I hear Vermont is an amazing state.
Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches recently posted..All That’s Left

17 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 12, 2011 at 12:43 am

E.L. FUDGE! I totally forgot about those cookies. So many childhood memories revolve around those delicious things…
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Hello- February!

18 Kara February 12, 2011 at 6:18 am

I had no idea it would be colder skiing in VT versus CO…I learn something new everyday!
Kara recently posted..If MTV airs it- Ill probably watch it

19 Caitlin February 12, 2011 at 7:22 am

I want some pot-ski cookies!
Caitlin recently posted..Fun with Vibrams

20 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 12, 2011 at 7:24 am

Looks like a great day so far!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Friday Favorites

21 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 12, 2011 at 7:45 am

Looks like so much fun! I’ve never been skiing so I’m jealous! πŸ˜‰

22 Dad February 12, 2011 at 8:11 am

That beer glass would look really cool on the bar ? Love Ya!!!

23 megan @ blackberries for jam February 12, 2011 at 8:15 am

You should have ventured further north to Smugglers Notch – no icy conditions there yesterday! But I haven’t skied in Colorado so I can’t compare. I can attest to the refreshment provided by a post-ski beer though πŸ™‚
megan @ blackberries for jam recently posted..Try Something New- Kimchi

24 katie February 12, 2011 at 8:15 am

How fun! Im a cold wimp, I probably would not have survived long out there ; p

Looks like a great time! Cant wait to see what today brings for you guys, I know more friends are coming you said!

omg those keebler elf cookies are the BEST, I used to dominate those ; )
katie recently posted..If you cant Find Peanut Flour

25 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 12, 2011 at 8:31 am

Oh my gosh, I forgot all about E.L. Fudge cookies! My mom used to buy those specifically for the Husband while we were dating. He used to devour those bad boys by the sleeve! πŸ™‚
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..marriage considerations

26 jane February 12, 2011 at 8:32 am

haha i think you mean Stratton….and Long Trail..

27 Allison @ OneWhiteTulip February 12, 2011 at 8:35 am

Ooooh my goodness I LOVE EL Fudges. They are so delicious! (I’m sure it has nothing to do with the Pot… =p) teehee.
Allison @ OneWhiteTulip recently posted..Why is eating breakfast so hard

28 Lauren February 12, 2011 at 9:02 am

I learned to ski in Stratton! My cousins have a condo up there, such a beautiful area! If you guys get a chance you should explore all the shops and restaurants in Stratton Village. I always go to Sugar & Spice and Everything Nice, check it out if you get a chance. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

29 Alaina February 12, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Ooooh, I gotcha. You’re out in New England. πŸ™‚

Looks like a fun time skiing!! Not much of a skiier myself; I love snow tubing though.
Alaina recently posted..Blue Ribbon &amp BSB

30 Caitlin February 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm

my family and I go to Vermont every winter. Stratton and Bromley are our faves!

there is a restaurant in between called Zoey’s Double Hex..so yummy! amazing burgers and homemade chips

31 Dina February 12, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Seeing the Long Trail makes me homesick. I’ve been in Florida since 2005 but miss the all the microbrews you can get in Connecticut.
Dina recently posted..5K Number Two