Road Trip!

by Meghann on February 10, 2011

Greetings from the New York Thruway!

Forgive our tired eyes and winter skin. We are not ashamed. πŸ™‚

Derek and I played the role of lazy tourists this morning and took our time doing absolutely nothing. We finally left the house around 11 and did a little window shopping (We <3 Crate & Barrel) before heading to beautiful Central Park.

Central Park has always had a special place in my heart, but seeing it covered in snow just makes it that much more magical.

Just a tad different from what we remembered from last September.;)

Brrrr…. it was cold! πŸ™‚

I did have one plan for us today – lunch at La Pizza in Eataly.

We visited Eataly just after it opened last September and I’ve been dying to go back to try one of their pizzas ever since. I’m a pizza nut and their Italian style pizza looked too good to pass up.

Upon being seated we were given slices of fresh chewy bread.

Selecting which pizza to order was pretty easy. After a quick skim of the menu I spotted the Fiaschetto (mozzarella, mushrooms, ham, artichokes, tomato sauce, parmigiano, black olives and fresh basil) and knew it was the winner.

The personal sized pizza was deceivingly light. Sure the pizza was huge in circumference, but the slices were so thin – and the toppings so sparse – that I came close to finishing my plate and could have still ate more.

I did love the slightly sweet pizza sauce and great chunks of mozzarella scattered through out the pizza.

Derek ordered the calzone, which was literally a pizza folded in half with ricotta cheese in the middle.

The pizza was good, but not the best. I hate to say it, but I’m afraid the pizza was had in Italy at Disney World last month was just a tad better. Even so, I’m happy we had the chance to try it. I’m not sure I would have been able to live with myself if we had never!

After lunch we packed up our stuff up and headed out of the city and into the country courtesy of Mr. Rental Car Man.

Ashley and Bo are great road trip companions. We’ve spent the last couple of hours telling stories, gossiping and introducing each other to DamYouAutoCorrect.com and WhenParentsText.com.

Dinner choices along the way are pretty limited, but we made do with the discovery of a Quiznos along the way.

I ordered the Honey Bourban Chicken (it was alright) and a bag of chips.

I can’t remember the last time I ate dinner in the backseat of a car. It was an experience. πŸ™‚

Only 2 more hours to go! Woop! Woop!

Oh, since a few of you were asking, we’re heading to Stratton Mountain this weekend in beautiful Vermont. It should be a fun weekend full of skiing, blogs, and friends. Stay tuned – you may see some familiar faces pop up on here in the next couple of days. πŸ˜‰

1 Kiran February 10, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I love NYC!!! Have a great time skiing πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..Living Abroad

2 Kaitlin February 10, 2011 at 11:08 pm

That pizza looks great! Even if it wasn’t the best, there’s somethin to be said for having pizza in NYC πŸ™‚
Kaitlin recently posted..Bacteria woes

3 Sana February 10, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I am loving this bloggy getawayyy!

4 Christine February 10, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I just looked at whenparentstext.com- so funny!
Christine recently posted..Oops I Did It Again

5 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 11, 2011 at 12:01 am

Looks like you have had quite the trip so far! πŸ™‚ Keep having fun!

6 Mac February 11, 2011 at 12:35 am

Wow that pizza looks simply amazing! Good thing there’s no pizza place that serves pizza looking like that here in Wisconsin or I would have some major overeating issues! Delish!
Mac recently posted..My Newest Purchase

7 Karolina February 11, 2011 at 12:36 am

Road Trips are so much fun:) I hope you stay warm and enjoy your time there!
Karolina recently posted..Challenging and Changing Cognitive Distortions

8 hippierunner February 11, 2011 at 1:21 am

The pizza looks good, too bad it wasn’t amazing! Have fun!
hippierunner recently posted..Bad- Bad- Bad

9 Runeatrepeat February 11, 2011 at 1:39 am

Have a safe trip!!!
Runeatrepeat recently posted..Dealing With A Bad Race

10 Marina February 11, 2011 at 4:30 am

Pizza looks quite yummy!
Have a fun trip!
Marina recently posted..one done

11 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] February 11, 2011 at 4:32 am

SO fun!!! I’m going skiing next weekend – can’t wait!
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..i’m dreaming of barca

12 megan @ blackberries for jam February 11, 2011 at 6:40 am

I live in Vermont and I’m going skiing today too – but further north at Smuggler’s Notch! I hope you have a wonderful time!

And funny about the so-so pizza. I think I’ve had better pizza in Vermont than I had when I lived in NYC. Too bad you won’t be in Burlington – you would definitely have to go to American Flatbread.
megan @ blackberries for jam recently posted..Favorites- Ezekiel English Muffins

13 jenny February 11, 2011 at 6:44 am

you should have gone to motorino..best pizza in nyc
(maybe the best pizza ever?!?)
oh well…next time, maybe πŸ™‚

14 Lauren February 11, 2011 at 6:47 am

That’s a shame that NYC Pizza didn’t live up to what you were thinking. Oh well, at least you gave it a try.

This trip sounds amazing! Safe travels and I can’t wait to see you from Vermont!
Lauren recently posted..Insanity to the Max

15 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 11, 2011 at 6:59 am

Have fun this weekend!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Slipping- Sliding- and Falling

16 Kara February 11, 2011 at 7:20 am

That pizza looks pretty good! I love any pizza with fresh mozzerella on it πŸ™‚

Enjoy your ski weekend, I bet it will be so fun (and cold!)
Kara recently posted..The Yawn of Annoyance

17 Ashley February 11, 2011 at 7:25 am

Have a good trip! Sorry the pizza wasn’t that great. I hate when I build up expectations about food then I’m completely wrong.

18 Katherine: Unemployed February 11, 2011 at 7:41 am

looks like you have major cold weather
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Brad Womack

19 Fit Chick Britt February 11, 2011 at 8:01 am

I’ve never been to New York. I would love to go for a run in Central Park.
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..Warm Up With Some Soup

20 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 11, 2011 at 8:42 am

“a pizza folded in half stuffed with ricotta cheese” — that sounds fabulous and I don’t eat cheese!

I hope you drive was safe and went quickly, have a great time!
Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete recently posted..February Goals

21 Hope February 11, 2011 at 8:50 am

That pizza looks incredible! I love pizza! Sounds like NYC was a fun time! I can’t wait to read about the next part of your adventure! Have fun! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Philly Auto Show- Baby Kyleigh &amp The Rest of the Weekend…

22 Nikki T February 11, 2011 at 11:48 am

mmmmm….pizza in Italy at Epcot…SO yummy!

23 Kacy February 11, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Sad to hear that pizza wasn’t as good as it sounded. I love black olives on pizza!

24 Amy February 11, 2011 at 4:35 pm

go to the Equinox…you will not be dissapointed. they have a cute wine and cheese bar in the hotel or go to Gringo Jack’s. we go there often. its right in town in manchester and such good mexican! we love the chips!!
Amy recently posted..Slow down Sunday