Project Move & Mix: Vision Boards

by Meghann on February 10, 2011

Confession: Up until two weeks ago I loathed vision boards.

Polyvore? Olioboard? I just didn’t get it. I had a habit of skimming through vision boards on other blogs or ignoring those posts completely. The concept was lost on me

However, now that I’m in the process of redesigning mine and Derek’s place the idea of a vision board has suddenly clicked. Actually it more than clicked, it’s now my current obsession. 😉

My new obsession began when reader Molly sent me her vision for our living room.

It was as if she reached into my head, took all my ideas, and put it on paper. I could see our living room start to come alive. Molly is a genius. :)

Of course, I still had a view ideas of my own. After a couple weeks of online shopping and a little fun with photoshop, here’s my new vision.

The exact color of green is still debatable (I won’t know exactly which green will work in the space until I do a few test swatches on site), but I’m currently digging the green and brown theme I’ve got going on. My favorite color is blue – and I tend to gravitate towards a blue palate – so this is a new adventure for me. :)

It’s hard not to immediately begin creating vision boards for other rooms in the house, but I’m sticking to my guns of one room at a time (which is really, really hard to do!).

Are you a fan of vision boards?

1 Bobbi February 10, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I love them!

2 Hope February 10, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I love your vision board! I really like the mirror! I also really like the curtain! Very nice!! :)
Hope recently posted..Philly Auto Show- Baby Kyleigh &amp The Rest of the Weekend…

3 Kiran February 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Yes! Amen to vision boards. Without it, I am at lost. Well, with it too :) I often struggle on where should I start and that’s where the VB generally helps me. It helps STARTING my creativity 😀
Kiran recently posted..Living Abroad

4 kristy @ February 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Nice! I’ve never done a vision board before. I wouldn’t know where to begin! :)
kristy @ recently posted..Couple’s Yoga

5 Amy February 10, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Hey Meghann… I just did a brown/green/cranberry living room at my place.

Thought I’d pass it along, to give you an idea of the shade of green!

6 Amy February 10, 2011 at 1:38 pm

ps: Where did that rug come from? I LOVE IT!
Amy recently posted..Blog Pimping

7 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) February 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I’ve never used vision boards but they actually look like a fab tool. I’m loving the colours and designs you’ve got on yours and can’t wait to see it come to life in Derek’s apartment.
Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) recently posted..A Taste of Raw Chocolate from Conscious

8 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I am a HUGE fan of vision boards – probably because I’m a very visual learner. Normally I just make them for my goals (and to inspire myself) but I really like how you’ve used one for this project too. The colours you’ve picked are great! I can’t wait to see the finished product!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..“I’ll make you banana pancakes- pretend like it’s the weekend now”

9 Stacy @ Every Little Thing February 10, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I have never actually made one, but I like looking at them online! haha
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..February Grocery Event- Produce

10 Casey February 10, 2011 at 1:51 pm

How do you make a vision board? I would love to do this for my living room! Is it some kind of computer tool? I’m clueless when it comes to that kind of stuff…is there a link or something? Haha help!

11 Lindsey February 10, 2011 at 1:51 pm

My living room is also shades of green and brown. It’s definitely the way to go :)
Lindsey recently posted..two more weeks

12 Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) February 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Ever since you sent me the link to vision boards, I’ve been a machine! So many ideas, so little money. 😉
Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) recently posted..Cumin Is Not Cinnamon

13 Casey February 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Can I have the link too? :)

14 Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) February 10, 2011 at 2:09 pm

For home redecorating, check out Olioboard:

Love it!
Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) recently posted..Cumin Is Not Cinnamon

15 Shanna, like Banana February 10, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I haven’t ever really done a vision board, but they seem so useful. And just seeing yours makes me want to go home and decorate. They’re a great tool!
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Italian Tofu – Manga!

16 Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) February 10, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I LOVE vision boards for my goals/dreams, etc. But I would SUCK at vision boards for this like interior decorating or a “wedding” dream board. Not good at colors and matching… I need Molly! Looks great!!

17 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I’ve never made a vision board, but they seem like a great way to get organized and see your vision in front of you. Seems like a great tool!

18 Clare @ Fitting It All In February 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I don’t have a room to redecorate right now, but i do have a scrap book where I cut out pictures of things I like! I’m a huge interior design lover!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Blast From The Past

19 Kaneil, The Ritts February 10, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Looks good! I just discovered polyvore, but haven’t tried it out yet. Love looking at other peoples!

Love the curtain panels with the grommets!

20 Lindsay February 10, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I love that!! I love to look at other peep’s vision board, but seriously, I’m just not versed enough in it to do my own. Maybe I should play around with it!

21 Ali @ Ali Runs February 10, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I love the idea of vision boards. I have never used them (or really had an opportunity to use them) but they look like a great idea!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Family Birthday Party

22 Molly February 10, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Great job making your own board Meghann! So glad I was able to help you get started :)

23 Jen February 10, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Love the brown and green!!! Looks great :)
Jen recently posted..Giveaway Time!!!!

24 Paula @ Eat:Watch:Run February 10, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I’ve never even heard of vision boards. That would have been helpful when I was painting/putting down flooring for my new house. Instead, I put 10 colors of paint on the wall that I hated, then had to cover them up, and finally found the one I loved.
10 paint samples = a lot of wasted time and money
Paula @ Eat:Watch:Run recently posted..Sometimes I do…

25 Jessica @ The Virtual Scrapbook February 10, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I love vision boards :) I need to make a few…I’m too lazy :)
Jessica @ The Virtual Scrapbook recently posted..To Repeat ASAP- a day off from work

26 sarah (sarah learns) February 10, 2011 at 2:58 pm

i love vision boards! i am NOT the kind of person who can hear a description and see a “picture” of it in my head. i need to see it on paper.

i love your ideas for your living room! can’t wait to see it all in “real life”. :)
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..mia

27 christine February 10, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I’ve never heard of a vision board until this post… and now I want to make one for every room in my future house. I could see these being a serious (but fun) time suck.
christine recently posted..Oops I Did It Again

28 Eliz@The Sweet Life February 10, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Never made one, but I love your living room one!
Eliz@The Sweet Life recently posted..For better or worseor recession

29 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 10, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I’ve never made a vision board — I understand their use, but I’ve never needed one. Maybe because we haven’t really redecorated much? When we got married we combined our stuff, Jason didn’t mind what I kept and what I tossed, so I just made do with what we have.

Hopefully in the next year or two we will do more decorating, etc.

30 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 10, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I’ve never done a vision board but love getting ideas from other people’s! I think my house may have had a more cohesive look if I would have done a bit more pre-planning :)

31 Heather February 10, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I love it! I dont really think i would know where to begin if I did one!
Heather recently posted..Every Little Bit…

32 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 10, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Vision boards…I keep my board in my brain :) I dont actually make a board but i have a very vivid imagination! :)
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Chipotle Salsa Lentils with Mixed Vegetables

33 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm

oooh I love those colours!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Send in the sage!

34 Kelly February 10, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I really like vision boards because I’m a very visual person. If I can see what I’m working towards, I’m much more likely to accomplish my goal. I currently have no room for a vision board but have already thought about mounting one on the back of one of our many teeny tiny closets once we move into our new house.
Kelly recently posted..Lisa Frank and newer vices

35 Kate February 10, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I hope you don’t take this wrong way because it’s meant as a good-natured joke but I saw this on one of my favorite blogs and thought of you!! It would have made a good bday gift…

36 Katie February 10, 2011 at 4:10 pm

How funny, that’s my exact living room! We have the”spring green” in our curtains (I call it that bc it looks so springy!) – curtains are SO expensive, but totally worth it!

37 Allison K. February 10, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I think blue would make a good addition to the room you have started there! Pick up the blue in the pillows in a few more accents and you have a great room.
Allison K. recently posted..Keepin’ regular

38 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) February 10, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I’ve never really thought about vision boards at all to be honest. Maybe I need a vision first? :)

39 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair February 10, 2011 at 5:18 pm

LOVE them! My boyfriend and I are moving into a townhouse that we bought mid-March and we are going to be doing a complete paint job to it. I am leaning towards the olive/green-y colour in the living room as well with a tan couch – a lighter brown/tan though!

Did you just create that vision board in photoshop? I am not that good with photoshop but can’t figure out a good way to create one online or something?

40 Meghann February 10, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Yes, I did it all in PhotoShop. :) but you can make one on

41 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 10, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I’ve never used a vision board, but I think that’s a really good idea! I love all the colors in it :)
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Hello- February!

42 Gill (snaxandthecity) February 10, 2011 at 6:57 pm

love the mirror!

i personally don’t really get vision boards…but for something like a house re-decoration, i think i ‘get’ them more than for year-long goals or something.
Gill (snaxandthecity) recently posted..Baking Pants

43 Ashley February 10, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I don’t get vision boards. Maybe its just because i have no need for them

44 Angela (the diet book junkie) February 10, 2011 at 7:59 pm

i do suspect having a visual of your goals helps, i’ve just been too lazy to actually put one together. 😛

45 Lauren February 10, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I love it! We just bought our couches and they are in the same color.
Lauren recently posted..Insanity to the Max

46 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 10, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I absolutely love your color scheme! :)
Kathleen @ Kat’s Health Corner recently posted..Almond Joy Pizzert Babies!

47 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 10, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Vision boards are great! I love olioboard!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..happy irish woman

48 Lee February 10, 2011 at 10:02 pm

You would totally think it’d be my type of thing because I just bought a house last May and I’m also a Graphic Designer for a living, but the vision board thing is totally lost on me!
Lee recently posted..The New Late Night

49 Tracy @ Commit To Fit February 10, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I love vision boards. They really make my goals and ideas come to life for me!
Tracy @ Commit To Fit recently posted..Going Vegan- Day 4- I am a Flexitarian

50 Misty February 11, 2011 at 8:02 am

Great idea!! I can never “put” things together in my mind while shopping for my house.
You HAVE to tell us where all of the pieces come from!!!! I love those curtains. We have been in our house for 5 years–still no curtains! :(

51 Trish February 11, 2011 at 10:08 am

I have curtains that have the same pattern that’s on the rug you picked! :-)

52 CupcakeNat March 4, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I love vision boards too! It helps keep me on track when I lose focus at the flea market on some orange vintage chair. You know?